Thread: Force Ai to always attack first. (?)

Icon7 Force Ai to always attack first. (?)

Hello!
    I am really enjoying this mod so far but there is just one annoying aspect that bothers me to no end. The AI will NEVER attack me with its army, instead they keep hysterically running up hills or hiding in woods and never attack. They even keep doing it while im slaughtering them with horse/archers. I am more into setting up my army in a formation that I like and await the oncoming onslaught, so I would much rather have the AI attack me first, like how it is in custom battles. So, is there any way i can make this happen? If it is not too much trouble, just pointing me to the right file location would be enough really, then I can mod it myself. Thanks in advance!
    Cheers mates!
    Last edited by Night; September 16, 2014 at 03:24 AM.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Force Ai to always attack first. (?)

I don't really know how you can make them more aggressive in battles, but the reason they're so passive is that you attacked them on the campaign map. That means they get to play the defender, not you.

You can usually goad them into charging you with your cavalry though. If you kill enough of them they'll start to think it'd be a good idea to move.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

=Vastator='s Avatar Senator

Yeah, I know what you mean. The defensive ai is quite broken in Rome TW, though the offensive ai is not bad at all, especially with Alex.exe. Unfortunately I think that changing the ai stance, in order for them to be on offense, is not possible because hardcoded...
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

Domesticus

If you're the one who attacked the AI on the campaign map, it's you that has to advance to it on the battle map and vice versa.

There may be a few cases where he actually advances even if you're the attacker.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

try fighting them with smaller army's then they have.that way they don't run away so mutch.

other than that you can drawn them in to attacking,slowly advance to them untill you get close enough to use skirmishers,to safely harass them,flank them with cav and then retreat.get your main army closer when you harass them.then repeat.
    at some point they start to attack you even when they on defensive.had a good number of battles where that happend,not always though.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

neep's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by tungri_centurio View Post
    try fighting them with smaller army's then they have.that way they don't run away so mutch.

other than that you can drawn them in to attacking,slowly advance to them untill you get close enough to use skirmishers,to safely harass them,flank them with cav and then retreat.get your main army closer when you harass them.then repeat.
    at some point they start to attack you even when they on defensive.had a good number of battles where that happend,not always though.
    Agree with all the points mentioned.
    If you are the attacker then you will have to advance against them.
    If your army is too large, they will just run away. I've had several 'battles' where I carefully setup two full stacks (and more) to attack the AI's single stack and... as soon as both of my stacks were in play they ran away. I couldn't get close enough, fast enough to actually inflict any damage.

Which is actually pretty sensible n'est pas ?
    If my stack was being attacked by overwhelming odds I'd run away - so the AI is being pretty smart (Kudos !)

If you have some long range units (archers, slingers, or even artillery) then you can get them in range to pick off some of their men - but again, if they end up being too depleted and then they will figure that it's time to run away !

Occasionally, but it's somewhat dependent on luck, is to try and attack with multiple stacks from different directions on the campaign map.
    Then, if they run away they might run smack into one of your stacks entering the battlefield.
    I've managed to do that a couple of times. Even though my main force never got close enough to inflict damage, the reinforcements were able to pick off substantial numbers.

Some factions seem more aggressive than others so battles can be different depending on who you're fighting against.
    You'll have to get a feel for who tends to hang back and who tends to charge.
    Golly, it's as if someone's programmed in a smart battle AI that provides non-simple behaviors that require some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by neep View Post
    If your army is too large, they will just run away. I've had several 'battles' where I carefully setup two full stacks (and more) to attack the AI's single stack and... as soon as both of my stacks were in play they ran away. I couldn't get close enough, fast enough to actually inflict any damage.

If my stack was being attacked by overwhelming odds I'd run away - so the AI is being pretty smart (Kudos !)
    Yes, just hit them again. After they've withdrawn like that they can't run away again, so the AI will instead press itself against the map edge so that any units that rout are right next to the edge. But you will kill a lot anyway.

Or they go into a settlement in which case you've got them locked up and will kill them to the last man.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    ................................ The AI will NEVER attack me with its army, instead they keep hysterically running up hills or hiding in woods and never attack. They even keep doing it while im slaughtering them with horse/archers. .............................
    You want a weaker enemy to attack you, knowing that they will lose even faster.....

The AI may be limited, but it's not entirely stupid.

A different mindset is required for a different 'game' with this wonderful Mod - it is a simulation; not just for a gamer's personal entertainment to simply mindlessly slaughter crappy mobs. Engage brain and try and beat them whatever they do.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    I don't really know how you can make them more aggressive in battles, but the reason they're so passive is that you attacked them on the campaign map. That means they get to play the defender, not you.

You can usually goad them into charging you with your cavalry though. If you kill enough of them they'll start to think it'd be a good idea to move.
    Ah, yes that is most likely it. It is almost always me who is doing the attacking on the campaign map so I guess it puts the AI in defence. Whenever the AI attacks my 2 or 3 units on their way to another settlement with a full stack, which is mostly how it's been lately, I just autoresolve and be done with it. Havent played Rome in a while, but now when you mentioned it I recall it being like this. The cavalry thing works sometimes, although I have been playing with only infantry/archer setups lately. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by =Vastator= View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. The defensive ai is quite broken in Rome TW, though the offensive ai is not bad at all, especially with Alex.exe. Unfortunately I think that changing the ai stance, in order for them to be on offense, is not possible because hardcoded...
    Hmm, I was afraid of that, so it is hardcoded. This answered my main question then, cheers mate!
    Last edited by Night; September 17, 2014 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neep View Post

If you have some long range units (archers, slingers, or even artillery) then you can get them in range to pick off some of their men - but again, if they end up being too depleted and then they will figure that it's time to run away !

Occasionally, but it's somewhat dependent on luck, is to try and attack with multiple stacks from different directions on the campaign map.
    Then, if they run away they might run smack into one of your stacks entering the battlefield.
    I've managed to do that a couple of times. Even though my main force never got close enough to inflict damage, the reinforcements were able to pick off substantial numbers.

Some factions seem more aggressive than others so battles can be different depending on who you're fighting against.
    You'll have to get a feel for who tends to hang back and who tends to charge.
    Golly, it's as if someone's programmed in a smart battle AI that provides non-simple behaviors that require some thought.

Those are all good tips, thanks guys!
    The issue is not really that I am having a hard time defeating the AI, the battles are way to easy anyway, it is more about the manner in which it becomes tedious to do so after oh so many battles. Chasing the stray units all over the map with fatigue, thinking either fight or rout damn it. Not to mention the battles last longer in this mod aswell, while the long battles can be enjoying, it is when the setup of armies is matched and both are agressive, the first battle with Hannibals army at the start of the rome campaign, ah wonderful! The problem is mostly that the AI when trying to act intelligently instead acts rather dumb, for instance trying to run up insanely steep hills ( and there are so many, many steep hills) exhausting themselves and not even bothering to send atleast a cav unit or something for those 2 archer units attacking them. Or just standing there in formation losing half its army to skirmishers when it could have even won the battle. I have been playing medieval 2 mods for the past years so i I have gotten used to the AI just attacking no matter what, I tend to send an equal amount of units and keep the rest back, sort of trying to get the enjoyment out of the battles I could have won easly. Either way, it is hardcoded as i just found out, so not much to do about it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    You want a weaker enemy to attack you, knowing that they will lose even faster.....

The AI may be limited, but it's not entirely stupid.

A different mindset is required for a different 'game' with this wonderful Mod - it is a simulation; not just for a gamer's personal entertainment to simply mindlessly slaughter crappy mobs. Engage brain and try and beat them whatever they do.
    There is something fundamentally flawed in your sentiment and choice of words, no pun intended. To give you a short answer, the issue is not about your presumptions of what I want, which as you put it mindless battles. What I asked for was if and how the AI behaviour could be tweaked. It is more about modding the game to my personal preference, in order to avoid flawed AI decisions when it is trying to act smart, instead makes the battles unnecessarly tedious. I am happy you are enjoying it your way and finding this game very brainy.
    Last edited by Night; September 17, 2014 at 06:08 AM.

The only thing that annoys me is when I've set up everything and carefully moved across half the map, with the AI pulling back each time. Then they just leave...

Do that from the start... though one could argue there was a chance I'd do something dumb or lazy, thus giving it a chance to attack... happens with moving pikemen

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    The only thing that annoys me is when I've set up everything and carefully moved across half the map, with the AI pulling back each time. Then they just leave...

Do that from the start... though one could argue there was a chance I'd do something dumb or lazy, thus giving it a chance to attack... happens with moving pikemen
    Oh my, tell me about it. It's so annoying when that happens Last time the battle started the AI didnt have their army ahead of mine, they were kinda up the left on a hill and.. it was so high, like silly high. So I orchestrate my plan, which was to not climb up the hill to face them directly, but instead move around the side and make it so when we fight we are both standing on top of mount everest. Let me tell you, it took my army 20 minutes just to get up there and then they were all exhausted. So I start slowly advancing towards the army, then the AI's general picks up a cucumber, suggests some vulgar emote and they all just pick up and leave, mother!&¤#. Could have sworn he had a smirk on his face at one time.
    Last edited by Night; September 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM.

Actually, as you may find out... if the enemy attacks while pikemen are moving up a hill, the pikes will not stop the enemy at all. Uphill or downhill, pikes just don't do anything, so it is actually pretty hazardous...

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Actually, as you may find out... if the enemy attacks while pikemen are moving up a hill, the pikes will not stop the enemy at all. Uphill or downhill, pikes just don't do anything, so it is actually pretty hazardous...
    Thanks mate! When I was heading up the hill though I had a cimbri army, so no pikes but I had lots of skirmishers and a few archer units. The enemy had quite a few of those aswell so I didn't want to give them the height advantage so they could shoot farther away at me. Come to think of it I dont even use phalanx much anymore, played with them too many times I suppose. For my next battle I am gonna try something, maybe if I split my army in half, then maybe the first half gets attacked by the AI, meanwhile the second half if they are mostly cav or fast units can join in fast enough, so it will be kinda like tricking the AI that way or something. Or hmm, I dunno

I haven't read any of the comment thoroughly but I remember there being a way to choose between different AI types: sinuhit or sinuhet AI type being a somewhat more agressive ai. I haven't looked into it much but you should use the search function or maybe somebody here point you in the right direction

Good luck!

Edit: okay lol found it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ation-Behavior

Turning of fatigue might make it more fun too - ive never done it playing a zillion games but I just read about it and will give it a try too
    Last edited by I3enjaIvIin; September 17, 2014 at 05:09 PM.

Why would you attack an enemy then expect to camp in a spot and have them chase you? You are attacking them and they are wise to take the high ground. You want them to be easier and walk into your trap even though you are the aggressor?

Makes no sense to me.

Them running up the hill I use to my advantage.
    They get tired so I position my army inch by inch so that they are forced to attack m, I usually send a unit of horses to lure someone in and that is all it takes.
    Been doing it since the beginning.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator