Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haradrim FATW ---The Black Serpent---

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

Default Haradrim FATW ---The Black Serpent---

Hello you AAR readers! You may recall me from AAR´s such as the Proud Blood of Germania and...well that´s it actually...
    Anyhow, although my life had never been busier my writer´s itch came back, and so here we are again, at the turn of the tide.
    This will be an AAR using the faction of Harad using the Fourth Age mod for Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion, it will be story centered, with battles and screenies for flavor. I mean to take this AAR into a different direction than most, and I hope you enjoy it as I write along. We shall be using Hard/Hard difficulty.
    And so it begins....
    The Black Serpent
    PROLOGUE
    It was the Fourth Age of Middle-Earth, King Elessar was dead, King Eldarion was dead, Gondor was as big as it had never been before, no, that´s not right, Gondor and Arnor, for the Kingdoms of exile had been reunited, Annuminas, Fornost, had been rebuilt, the Greenway had become the Great Road, the ancient fortress of Carn Dum had been cleansed… or so they said the travelers and merchants that arrived to our harbors, to Umbar and Harad, but we didn´t need to see those far off wonders, many years ago I had accompanied my Emperor, the Black Serpent Mulnissar who had went to Minas Tirith to negotiate a dispute over the Harlond with the old King Eldarion, and I saw the forests of Ithilien, I even saw some elves lurking in the trees, I saw the white moon reflecting upon the white walls and the white tower of Minas Ithil, I saw the noble ruins of Osgiliath, and there just across the plain I saw the great Rammas Echor, and the walls of Minas Anor, the Tower of the Sun, and in the top of it´s tower, high in the sky I saw the banner of King Elessar, heir of Elendil, seven stars and a crown over a white tree; they say that the lineage of that tree goes all the way back, thousands upon thousands of years to the creation of the world, old mysticism, I never believed a word of it. On those years, some 20 years ago, there was peace, war limited to putting out a local rebellion, punishing a rioting village, things like that, big wars like the ones narrated on the books of our elders, a thing of the past now. The one last conflict of our people had been some 30 years ago, when the Black Serpent gave permission to a full scale sea invasion of the coastal cities of the Reunited Kingdom, Anfalas, Lamedon, Pelargir, Dol Amroth, we put siege to them all, I was 8 years old at that time, how great were the ships! How brilliant our banners! The red and gold upon the Mumakil! It was glorious, my own father led the host that was to take Dol Amroth, how proud was I… More than a 100 thousand soldiers departed for war, and none returned, but war still came to us, King Eldarion came on his white ships, his great horses, long spears and black armor, and he put the Harlond and the rest of our coastal cities to sword and fire, we stopped him at Umbar, having lost thousands of our people to his army, and our own Emperor bent the knee to him, I never saw my father again after he departed for war, as I never saw my mother and my sisters after King Eldarion´s catapults crushed our home at Umbar. The Black Serpent Mulnissar surrendered to the Winged Crown of Gondor and Arnor and after taking his sons as hostages for 10 years, the High King of the West left, leaving us in the charred homes and burnt lands that his army had given us.
    I was only a kid at the time, and the prospects of war, conquest, vengeance, were high on my head, I knew nothing of the court´s workings, but what I did know was that the invasion had been suggested by the most trusted advisor of the Emperor at the time, a dark man, named Herumor, a cultist of an ancient shadow, that had gained high notoriety with the Emperor, deluding our people into a war that took our very souls. After the last siege in Umbar he was nowhere to be seen. Herumor, he had sent my father to death, he had sent 100 thousand fathers, brothers, sons to their deaths, he had burned my house and killed my mother, killed my sisters. Herumor, he left like a shadow in the night, a coward, a liar, a murderer.
    30 years had passed from that day, the day where we lost everything, our people is a strong people, hardy, resilient, hard people for a hard land, and we recovered, we put down the fires and built new homes, sons were born anew, children grew and became men, when Eldarion died our Black Serpent stopped paying tribute to the Winged Crown, I married one of his daughters and made career in the Imperial Army, soon our Empire had regained it´s size, it´s glory, if not it´s honor… My life was as happy as could have been, my wife was beautiful and kind, my house was large and with a fountain where my old father´s house once stood, my newborn girl was as pretty as the sun rays upon the great sea, and then on the 438 year of the Fourth Age, I was called to the Emperor´s Palace.
    As I made my way on horseback I saw the banners of the Red Spear and the Golden Shield, along with the Black Serpent banners of the Emperor´s sons, all the chieftains and warlords had been called. My heart raced as I entered the Palace´s courtyard. I greeted my old friends and saluted the Great Warlord Nabulung, First Spear of Harad, High General of the Empire.
    Razii, one of my wife´s brothers clasped me in an embrace.
    -Razii! You great snake! Where have you been all these years?- I said
    -Off in Far Harad, blasted desert it´s ruining my good looks, although I still look better than you!-
    We laughed at the old jest, remembering when we were young, growing up in the Garden Fountains of Umbar. He and two of his sisters, one my future wife, used to play two-on-two match ups with the girls riding our shoulders, me and my wife, were unbeatable.
    -What´s your father up to?- I asked. –There hasn´t been a gathering like this since…- My voice broke off.
    -Yes, since the Siege of Umbar.- My brother in law said, urging the conversation to a more pleasant ground. –His letter said that we should come in all haste, he says that an envoy of Amandil has arrived.-
    -Amandil?- I asked, confused. –Ain´t he the King of Gondor?-
    -No, that´s Cemendur.- Razii, said as we made way to the throne room, escaping from the sun´s last rays and entering into the cool halls of the Palace. –I should know, I lived ten years on that tower, Cemendur is the elder brother and King, Amandil is the younger.-
    -And what is he doing here?- I wondered as the rest of the warlords poured into the Great Hall. –Did he came alone? I did not see any banners with the White Tree…-
    -He came alone.- Razii assured, and then extracting a letter from his tunic he said: -And he also sent a letter to me, odd, he was already into his fifties but looked like half that age when I first met him, I was 9 as you remember, when we were taken away, he was always kind to me, we even sparred when I got old enough. Anyway…- his voice trailing off. –Look at what he sealed his letter with.-
    I took the letter, out of a sense of privacy I skipped the words that occupied a full page on it´s both sides, and jumped right to the seal: purple with seven golden stars and a crown below them.
    -This is not the Banner of King Elessar.- I said. –What is this?-
    -It´s war my friend. War.-
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

Default Re: Haradrim FATW ---The Black Serpent---

Excellent, nice to see an AAR on Harad, that usually isn't a popular choice compared to factions like the RK and Adunabar.

Agreed. Harad has some great opportunity for interesting roleplay. I'm eager to see the next part!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

New chapter up, did not mention before, but comments, opinions and critics are more than welcomed, Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 1
    The reunion part 1

Razii and I made our way to the Throne Room, black and golden doors in our way, Nabulung was the first to step forward and to order the guards that the warlords of Harad had answered their Emperor´s summons.
    -I, Nabulung, First Spear of Harad.- he said. –Have come, and all the others have come, Red Spear, and Golden Shield, as well as the Black Serpents. Our Emperor called, we came, open the doors.-
    As this monologue took place, another one of the Emperor´s sons joined us.
    -Fuilnor! How long old friend, how long.- he said clasping my shoulder and into his embrace.
    -Haran! You have silver in your hair now!-I said surprised, for others, it might not be wise to greet the Empire´s Heir commenting on his age, but we were close friends. –What news from Harondor?- I asked with a smile.
    He laughed heartily at my previous comment.
    -Silver is better than that raven´s hair of yours Fuilnor, what my sister saw on you I shall never know.- Razii and himself laughed with mirth. But the Prince sobered up in a moment. –There are many rumors running about, I heard them first since I´m the closest to the Northern lands, I reported what I heard to my father, I do not like it.- Said Haran shaking his head. – I see storm clouds gathering in Mordor, and I saw first the envoy that is here today.- He turned to his brother. –He is here brother, Amandil came in person, 5 guards no more, all in purple and gold; he stayed with me for three days and then he parted for Umbar.-
    -Then we are to assume that all of us got letters from him?- Asked Razii, talking about their brothers.
    -He said so, although I didn’t get a letter, got the personal visit.- The Prince shook his head. –It´s bad brother, never liked him much to begin with, I preferred his brother´s company and their sister…-
    -Look, the gates are opening.- I said motioning them forward. –We must not keep your Father waiting.-
    We entered the Throne Room, passing by the high columns of red and gold serpents around a black column, so wide that a man could not embrace it, the roof was covered with red and black clothes, to remember us of our nomad ancestry, and from the sides of the roof, between the columns were the great tusks of ancient Mumakils that our ancestors hunted, some were small, roughly the size of a grown man, but the ones nearer to the throne room were almost as tall as the Hall itself, 20 meters from point to base, if they had not been curved they would have gone right through the ceiling. The Emperor´s Throne was made of ivory, carved from a single husk of a gigantic Mumak, and on the sides of the Throne, behind it were the husks I described earlier. On the Throne of Harad sat Mulnissar, Black Serpent of our people, he rose and extended his arms in welcome, and we all knelt before him.
    -Arise, warriors of Harad!- the Emperor said stepping down the short stairs that elevated him from us. –My dear sons, Nabulung, and all of you warlords of the Empire, I welcome you!- He said, his voice booming through the room even though the Emperor was very old now, 68 years he had lived.
    -Father.- Said Prince Haran, stepping forward. –We have come from far and wide, from all over your lands, great and small we have come. What have do you called us for?-
    -So you all can hear, and then speak your voice.- He addressed all of us. –You may have heard rumors of a foreign envoy arriving at my Palace, those rumors are true, and a King has come to deliver a message.- He said pointing to the shadows at his left, where a group of 5 men walked into the light.
    The 4 guards were clad in golden armor, with purple cloaks embroidered with golden stars, golden helmets and long black spears, the man that led them wore an ornate silver armor, purple cloak and a golden crown with a purple star in its crest, on his hip a longsword, he looked no more than forty, but we all knew that he was nearing his 80´s, such was the race of Numenor.
    -Amandil.- murmured Razii, so that only I could hear it.
    The new comer walked in front of the throne, with a broad smile and his arms stretched to us.
    -My friends, it is an honor to be standing amongst you.- He turned to the Emperor´s sons. –How long has been since we last saw each other, to those that do not know me, I am Amandil Telcontar, the first of his name, King of Adunabar and friend of all who would aid me.-
    -What is this?- Asked Nabulung, his face a dark grimace. –There is a King in Gondor, and it is not you, you are the younger brother!-
    -Yes, I am the younger brother, and I am not King of Gondor, I am King of a younger Kingdom, stronger, my brother may sit on Minas Anor and wear the Winged Crown.- His smile never faltered, as he looked upon the room. –Mine is a different path, my father dispossessed me of what should have been mine, and so I shall take by force that which was taken from me.-
    -King of what?- asked Haran. –Of a few villages and outposts on the far reaches of Gondor, Cemendur is King, why are we hearing this pretender?- he turned to his father. –Harad doesn´t need other “Kingdom” bordering our lands and threatening our freedom.-
    Amandil only laughed at the words of the Crown´s Prince.
    -Haran! How have you grown!- He said, fixing his blue eyes upon our Prince. –Not many years ago you were still a child, playing with my sister and riding with my brother, we sparred once or twice no? Ah, the memories… I am a friend now, as I was before, Haran, would you not hear me?- He said, his voice full of sense and piety.
    -I have nothing but respect for the great people of Harad, I remember the last war, and I never agreed with my father´s orders of bringing you as hostages to Minas Anor, because that´s what you were.- He said pointing at the Black Snakes. –Hostages, to ensure your father´s behavior, such contempt my father had for you, and my brother does too, make no mistake.-
    -That´s a lie!- Cried Haran. –Your King treated us with honor.-
    -We were prisoners!- Cried Magor, the youngest son of the Emperor. –Ten years under the tower, unable to see our family!-
    -And where were the chains brother?- Asked Razii. –We may have been prisoners in name, but we slept right next to the princes, didn´t Prince Amandil gave you your first horse?-
    -It´s King now, my dear Razii.- Amandil said, pacing the room, his guards not far off. –But as I gave a gift to you Magor, now I have a gift for all the people of Harad.-
    -And what gift is this?- asked our Emperor.
    -I will give you Gondor.- he said bowing his head to him. –Gondor and all it´s fiefdoms, save for Minas Anor and Osgiliath, for the end of times.-
    It was at this moment that I dared speak.
    -No doubt, you will give them to us, after we had fought and bled for them, fighting under your banner.- I confronted him. –Are the armies of your Kingdom not great enough to do this yourself? You Numenoreans are all the same, filled with promises, but all we have gotten from you is war and grieve!- A deep silence followed my words, but Amandil did not notice it and smiled at me as he talked.
    -Fuilnor, am I right?- he asked, but without waiting for my answer he carried on. –You of all people, I expected would be eager for this gift I freely give to you, your friends may not have told you this, but after your invasion, my father´s captains brought to the Citadel all the banners of your fallen armies, the banner of your father amongst them, tinted red with his blood.- He put his hands on my shoulders. –Would you not like to have Dol Amroth? The fields where your father fell under your grasp?-
    -The Empire gained nothing in Dol Amroth.- I said, looking at his eyes. –I lost my father.- I took his hands off my shoulders
    -Where are your armies?- Asked Nabulung, ever the warrior. –How many men can you muster? Your strongholds? Your gold? Gondor is a gift, yes, that will be paid with the blood of our warriors no doubt.-
    -If you could take Minas Anor by yourself, you wouldn´t have come.- Said Haran. –You need our spears and sails to do your dirty work.- Amandil turned to face him, but our Prince carried on. –And we shall get the cities that our warriors take, while you claim the crown´s jewel for your own, yes we have been through this before.- Haran turned to his father.- It did not work then, and it will not work now!-
    -We were alone that time.- The Black Serpent said. –King Amandil promises that half of the Reunited Kingdom will flock to his banner, his forces shall take Osgiliath and Minas Anor, while we plunder the coast, it will not be what happened 30 years ago.-
    -Promises again!- I cried. –The only promise that is certain is death! Black Serpent!- I said kneeling. –Cast out this pretender! Hear no more of this nonsense!-
    The Room burst out, many called me coward, while others cheered for me, Amandil´s smile faltered for a second. His brow turning into a frown.
    -Silence!- the Emperor said, as his guards thumped the floor with their spears. –Silence I say!-
    Razii spoke next.
    -Amandil, you have always been kind to me while we lived in the White Tower, and I say this to you, desist! Its clear to us that you need our armies to help you, you fear defeat at the hands of your brother, for you stand alone!- he said with passion in his voice.
    -He is not alone.- A voice emerged from the dark shadows of the Room, a man clad in dark purple robes, stepped forward, no one noticed his presence before, even the Emperor looked surprised at him. Clearly he wasn´t in the original envoy. –Not alone young Snake.-
    Everyone paused and silenced to look at this man, his face covered by the hood of his robes. His hands full with golden rings.
    -I am Annatar, for I am the Giver of Gifts, and as I forged with Amandil a new Kingdom, we shall give one to you as well.- His voice, soothing and charming, entranced us all. –All of Mordor´s colonies will come to us, Rhun has pledged their help to us, and ancient powers…have come to our aid.- His smile was visible under his hood. –We are not alone, but you shall be if you reject our gift.-
    The King of Adunabar followed on his words.
    -It is as my trusted Annatar says, in two weeks time our plan will be in motion, the Easterlings will raid north of the Ephel Duath, while my followers sweep across Mordor the flames of liberation, Minas Ithil shall be my seat, and from there I will take the lands that were robbed from me.-
    -In two weeks, March 25th?- Asked Razii.
    -Yes, I shall go to Minas Anor for the celebration of the New Year, and there I will raise my banners, declare my Kingdom and kill my old brother if the opportunity arises.- He said with a glint of fury in his eyes. –When I march out of Minas Ithil I shall send messengers to you, signaling the time for you to strike the fiefdoms and together we shall take Minas Anor by storm!- Many of our warlords cheered at him.
    While the King spoke, I had only eyes for Annatar, and so did the Emperor, who had not taken his eyes from him since he made his presence known.
    -So what say you men of Harad! Will you fight with me?- Cried Amandil, drawing his sword. What of you Fuilnor! Will you fight?-
    -I will fight.- I answered calmly. –I will fight against the men that killed my family, that burned down my house, and ripped my country to shreds.- I shoved the King out of my way, as I drew my scimitar and walked to the robed figure. –Annatar might be your name, but you have named yourself different before, haven’t you?- As I put my scimitar to his neck. –And you are no stranger to this lands either.- Amandil´s knights drew their spears at me, while the other men clamored in shock and anger, some drawing their weapons as well. –My emperor, this is no “giver of gifts”, I name you Herumor! And your only gift to Harad was the death of it´s people!-
    The figure that stood before me, only laughed.
    -But you were only a child back then, how did you recognize me?- He said smirking. –My Emperor.- he said bowing. –I fear that what this servant of yours says is true, I am Herumor, your advisor, will you not heed me one more time?-
    Silence once again took hold of the Throne Room, Nabulung looking in awe at the old advisor, that had plunged Harad into war and fire.
    -You abandoned us when fortune turned against us.- Said Mulnissar. –Where were you when our fleet burned at sea, and when Harondor was sacked? Where were you when we turned to eat rats to keep alive? What were your advices then?-
    -My good Emperor, you cannot blame me for the incompetence of your generals.- He said with a jest.
    Nabulung´s eyes filled with anger but spoke with ease.
    -I lost all of my sons on the attack you suggested, the disaster of the Rammas Echor.-
    -You sent them to your deaths if I recall, you old Spear, I only suggested, you ordered.- He said shrugging off, all the while ignoring my scimitar at his neck. –And if your father young pup, had been of better breed he would not have lost his entire force in Dol Amroth.-
    -You lying piece of!- I yelled, the Knights of Adunabar closing distance with me.
    -Enough! Stand down!- Said Amandil, taking Herumor´s side. –Hear reason Mulnissar! Aid us and I shall keep my word, leave us and we shall come for you once I´m done with my brother.- He said as he began to walk out of the Room, Herumor and his guards following close.
    -Two weeks.- Herumor said looking right at me. –Or are all of Harad´s spears blunted, and all of it´s snakes without venom?- Instants later they had left the Palace.
    After their leave, the discussion began, and it did not end until well into the night.
    Last edited by Solid Snake; September 16, 2014 at 04:03 PM.

Second part of Chapter 1 is up, what does the future holds? How do you like it so far? Any suggestions about style, font, size etc... are welcome. Hope you enjoy!

The reunion part 2
    After Amandil and his retinue left, a great commotion ripped the Throne Room, every one of us dividing in groups, those that did not want nothing to do with the rest of the world, those that clamored for war, those that wanted to side with Adunabar. The Emperor´s guards thumped the ground once more until we had quieted down.
    -We are not children to squabble like this.- Said Haran. –We shall sit, and we shall decide what is the best course of action.-
    The Emperor called for servants, they brought tables, chairs, and food to make a late dinner, wine from the far lands of Dorwinion to pass it down.
    My anger still flowed from the previous events, I had the man responsible for my father´s death and the death of who knew how many others, I had him and let him go, the cold glint of his eyes, his mocking grin, years ago he had managed to seduce our Empire into war, and tonight he had almost done it again. Even though I seethed in anger, I managed to eat some of the meat from one of those giant fishes from open sea, seasoned with black pepper and herbs from Ithilien, the purple wine from Dorwinion cleared my head; as I looked around the table, I saw the dissent amongst us, a division that Herumor had created with his honeyed words and empty smiles, his charm still prevailed among some of our men.
    When we were over drinking and dining, the servants retired the dishes and left us to discuss.
    The Emperor was the first to speak.
    -I shall hear your opinion on this. All of you, your voice shall be heard.-
    -The choice is clear.- Said Magor. –We join with Amandil, but refuse to serve under him, fight alongside him, not for him.- Murmurs of consent spread around. –If half he said was true, the greater risk is upon him, Gondor mobilizes to fight him, and we take the fiefdoms in their absence. The risk is small, and the reward is great, I say: War.-
    Haran began to talk right after his brother.
    -If half of what he said is true? Brother, his “Kingdom” is based on lies and treachery, we are far greater than that.- Said looking at all the attendants. –We don´t need another war, and if we shall go to war, let it be against this rebel, we could manage to hold Ithilien, or even Minas Ithil, in the worst of cases we can trade them back to Cemendur, but I say: Use reason my brothers! We will not be led astray by this pretender and his sorcerer. Our people has suffered enough serving other empires, have we forgotten about Mordor, have we forgotten the Pelennor Fields? Or the Siege of Umbar? I shall not see my people thrust into needless war again.-
    -Amandil is a man, Haran, no different than you and me.- Said Razii. –There is no Dark Lord to bow to, this is a world of men now, those things belong to the past now; but may I say that our Empire reached its higher glory when we allied with Sauron the Great.-
    -There was nothing great about him.- I said. –When the Numeroeans first came he surrendered to them like a whipped dog, and then he was beaten by Isildur.- I looked at Razii and the rest of the warlords. –Or I am the only one that knows how to read? Sauron promised Gondor and more to us and what we got? Death and destruction. Sauron the Great Liar I call him, this “Annatar” must be of his kin to enthrall fools with false glory, I shall not see my people fall into Shadow once again.- I looked at my Emperor, and to Haran, to Razii my friend, to Nabulung. –I say War, war against Adunabar, war against Herumor, war against the killers of our people. Gondor might come next, but it shall be by our own doing. I say we are done taking gifts from pretenders and liars, I say vengeange against all that have wronged us in the past.-
    -You want war against Gondor?- The Black Serpent asked me. –You would have us march the same path that we have marched for millennia? And without the aid of the Dark Lord?-
    -We surrendered, yes surrendered, to Mordor out of fear, and nothing else.- I answered. –We were like kids afraid of the dark, of the unknown powers of Sauron, but does not our land proves that the light of the sun casts away all shadows? Mordor was no different, a realm based on lies and deceit, and so it fell, and us with it.-
    Nabulung was next to speak.
    -We all remember what Herumor has done to this land, and the humiliation that Gondor has always brought upon us, I want vengeance as much as you Fuilnor.- He paused. –But I wonder, wasn’t Herumor an old man already when he came first to our Emperor´s Palace? By all means he should be dead by now. I believe that there might be something else about him than we know.-
    -Might be he is a Numenorean too.- Said Magor. –Who realized that their culture was decadent and seeks to replace it with a new dynasty, the dynasty of King Amandil, he wants the death of our enemies, how could we not join him?-
    -The death of our enemies? Being of Numenor makes him our enemy too.- I said. –For we did not forsake every possible alliance against Numenor since they first tried to enslave our people, years upon years ago? All traitors, all liars, our war must be against Numenor, and their successors: Gondor and Adunabar!- I stood up and Haran raised with me, the Black Serpent did as well.
    -I say war! War against Numenor! War against Herumor! Vengeance for Pelennor! Vengeance for the Rammas!- More men had stood up, Nabulung and Razii amongst them. –Vengeance for Umbar! For Harad! Vengeance for Harad!-
    Such was the cry that erupted from the palace unto the streets below.
    War! For Harad! For Harad! For Harad!

Reserved for chapter 2, may be up late Saturday or early Sunday, hold tight.
    And here it is! Enjoy!
    Chapter 2
    The Plunge

In the upper parts of Umbar, near the Emperor´s Palace, a child cried in the wee hours of the morning, a woman deprived of her sleep, rose up to comfort her newborn daughter.
    -Hush, hush my love.- the woman said as she picked up the babe, the early morning´s sun poured into the room, giving it a warm, orange glow, the air filled with the smell and mist of the ocean below. –You have waken me, you can stop crying now.- She said smiling down upon the big hazel eyes that fawned upon her. The child giggled as her mother carried her around, up, and down and up again in her arms. Amalen sat down on a lounge chair, as she settled her daughter on his lap to begin nursing her, it was then that she heard noise down below. –Do you hear that, little one? Father is here!- she said with joy, for it had been 5 days now that Fuilnor had been called to the Serpent´s Palace and had not returned since.
    Downstairs, Fuilnor removed himself from his cloak as he settled with the familiarity of his home, he heard some rumble upstairs that could only mean that his “girls” were up, he called up above.
    -Amalen, I´m back.- He took out his boots, throwing them whichever way as he made his way upstairs. –How are my two flowers?-
    -Come inside love, and see for yourself.- His wife´s voice said. –Little Daniyah here has missed her father for too long now!-
    Fuilnor laughed as he entered the bedroom and saw the image of his wife and daughter, in such intimate moment that mothers cherished so much, his smile could only broaden as he took up on the scene.
    -You know I couldn´t help it.- He said as he leaned upon his wife for a kiss. –Take your complaints to your father, tell him he has to let me go early.- He caressed her shoulder as they both contemplate upon Daniyah.
    -Her hair is even blacker than yours.- Amalen said, looking up. –And she eats just as much!- He said with a little flinch as the babe shifted on her lap.
    -Her eyes are all yours though, and it might be that she surpass your beauty.- Fuilnor said, kissing Amalen on the neck.
    -So how were things?- she asked. –What is with all the ruckus in the city? A hundred ships have already sailed, Haran left the city yesterday. Magor left with Nabulung… Harn Gond is up in rebellion or so they say… - She looked up at her husband who had stepped back a bit. –Is there something wrong?- She asked, noting his worried face, yet her husband´s eyes shone with determination.
    - Five days ago, Amandil, son of Eldarion from Gondor came.- Fuilnor explained. –We have not been able to deny his presence, but we have thus far managed to keep secret the intent of his visit.- He sat down after pouring a glass of wine for himself. –He intends to secede from his brother´s kingdom and start his own, having Minas Ithil as capital.- Amalen surprise was obvious, she took her daughter off her and lay her down on the crib, and sure enough, Daniyah fell into sleep once more.
    -And he came asking for our help?- she asked. –What did father say?-
    -We all voiced our opinion.- Fuilnor said with caution. –Many advised, Magor included that we should side with Amandil, I spoke against him and Razii, Haran and Nabulung supported me.- He looked at her wife in the eyes. –I do not lie to you, tensions were high, and perhaps we might have ended up joining Amandil in his crusade, much to my regret. But…- He smiled. –He showed up.-
    -I do not follow.- Said Amalen befuddled. –Who showed up?-
    Fuilnor grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her close, her aroma spoke of the ocean´s salt and warm flowers.
    -Herumor.- His voice a mere whisper. –Your Father´s advisor, Herumor the Black.-
    -That is not possible!- Amalen said. –He was so old! How is he still alive?-
    -I do not know dear, but at his presence, some of us broke away from Amandil´s spell, the Emperor included.- He said, pacing the bedroom. –I exposed the sorcerer for what he was, I almost had him! But guest´s right forbade me from shedding his blood.- He paused to gather his breath.- They left soon after, and after much discussion we made our choice.-
    -What choice Fuilnor?- She demanded. Concerned look in her hazel eyes.
    -War.- He answered. –War for Harad. For vengeance.- He embraced her, and pulled her close. –Amandil will launch his rebellion in ten days, we must be prepared, for 5 days now we have planned our moves, now it´s the time before the dive.-
    -What are we going to do?- she asked. –Are you leaving?-
    -The Grand Admiral has already left with orders to harass Pelargir and take the mouth´s of the Anduin if he can. Haran and Razii are going to muster all of Haradwaith into our banners; trouble arose however.- He said. –Herumor´s poison got through to Harn-Gond and North Harondor, our governor´s there were beheaded, we received their heads just yesterday. Nabulung and his brother left to crush the traitors.-
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    -As we secure our lands, we hope that our sea raids will fool Amandil into thinking that we are on his side, and on the meantime we shall…-
    -I don’t care about any of that?- She cried, cutting him off. –What are you going to do?- She said looking hard into his eyes.
    - The Emperor sent me East, to Far Harad, I´m to rally whatever men I can in twenty days, and make our borders with Rhun secure.- He said, now unsure of his charge.
    -So, you stay home? You do not leave?- his wife asked with anxious demeanor.
    Fuilnor looked away.
    -When Haran is ready, Nabulung and Taanari will march north, Haran will join them as they assault Ithilien.-
    -And YOU?- Amalen asked.
    -When the ships are ready, and the mustering here is done, I will lead that army.- He gathered his breath. –To Dol Amroth.-
    Amalen could only held his husband tighter, kiss his face with passion, share with him her love, her worries, who knew if for the last time?

Comments and opinions are welcome! Do let me know if you can see the images, there must be two of them. Next Chapter: "First Blood"

Last edited by Solid Snake; September 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

As a fellow LoTR and Haradrim enthusiast, I have two things to say; firstly, excellent work! Loving this AAR so far, and shall continue to follow it eagerly. Secondly, I would ask why the Haradrim? Out of all the factions? +Rep.

Chapter 2 is up!!! Check my previous post for it! I know that there have been no battles, but there will be.

McScottish! I´m honored to have you as a reader, I salute you as a LoTR fan, I must say that I´m a new Haradim lover, I think their main appeal, is that they are for the most part, ignored in Tolkien´s main tales, much as the Easterlings from Rhun apparently but if I chose them I think this story would have been very different and not in a sense that I would like. My interest for Harad arises from their unique location, their mix of nomad/tribal life mingling with a strong government, it is an Empire after all, having not been conquered, only beaten in battle their culture MUST be again unique to them, I will like to play around with tales of old Harad, old deities or customs, before Sauron the Deceiver first appeared. I think that they, not having been influenced by the Shadow too much (as say Rhun) will have a mix of people that care nothing for ancient powers, those that remember old Harad as an independent land before Sauron first rise to power, and those that are true men of the darkness. Men are flawed from the beginning, none being all evil, or all good, with notable exceptions in Tolkiens tale, you might say Herumor is wholly evil and Aragorn is pure good, but most men are grey, and that aspect I think truly shines in Harad. I intend to play with that aspect a lot. And last but surely not least: Mumakils son.

Chapter 3 is up, please share your opinions, I would love to hear what you think. Hope you have a pleasant day! Enjoy!

Chapter 3
    First Blood

Harn Gond, Lond Elenath, half of Harondor, had erupted in rebellion two days after Herumor and Amandil left the Emperor´s Palace, this information had been kept quiet for the most part, downplayed by the agents loyal to the Empire, determined to not let the fires of rebellion spread across the country. When the news first reached Umbar, Magor was the first to claim the honor of crushing the rebellion, but Mulnissar turned to Nabulung, first Spear of Harad, and had given him and his brother, Taanari the Command. Both brothers had been heroes of a hundred battles, yet recent memory put their legacy in doubt, Nabulung and his sons fell in the Rammas, and Taanari had been chased from Lebennin back to his ships, yet it was them that held the rearguard to give time for the ships to depart, and it was Taanari that first held King Eldarion´s onslaught at sea, and then at the Poros, it had all beenfor naught of course, but his actions and his valor were dearly held by the people of Harad.
    -You and your brother must move with haste.- the Black Serpent ordered. –Do not hesitate, show no mercy, we can´t afford an uprising at this time. Cut the rebellion short, root out any agent´s of Herumor or Adunabar.-
    -And those who surrender?- asked Nabulung.
    -Show them piety, but make sure that they do not forget the consequences of rebellion.- He embraced the man. –Do not engage with Adunabar´s forces, not yet, as long as they belief that we might join them, our chance for surprise increases.-
    Magor knelt in front of his Father.
    -Father, let me join the First Spear, I swear I will make our ancestors proud.-
    Mulnissar pondered for a while, so young, ten years had the Gondorians held him, the same as he did, for Magor now as 20 years old, having been only 6 when he saw his father kneel before a foreign power, so young, so soon.
    -Go, both of you.- The Emperor said. –With my love and my blessing. For Harad.-
    Magor rose with a smile singing in his eyes.
    -For Harad.-
    As the army prepared the assault on Harn Gond, Nabulung remembered what he had told his Emperor.
    -I will not let any harm befall him.- He had said on the eve of their march. –I promise.-
    -My friend.- The Emperor had said. –My only wish is that I could have said the same to you and fulfill it.-
    Nabulung had sent Magor and 500 riders north of the city to scout the way ahead and to protect the main army´s flanks. Also he had promised him the command of the next rebel city.
    -That´s it if all goes well in here.- He said with a sigh.
    His men had prepared felling trees to build rams, fletching arrows and sharpening spears to ease the pass of time.
    When all was ready the First Spear of Harad ordered a full scale attack on the rebels.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Harad had always held their archers in great pride, and today they showed it, a far off tradition from a warring people of the desert, when Harad was unified that tradition was turn to a fearsome attack force, capable of destroying entire regiments from afar. And today was no different.

[IMG][/IMG]

Soon the gates crumbled before the ram´s strike, the wall on each flank had been subject of attack as well and after their fall the spears of Harad poured into the streets.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

-Concentrate our forces on the center, send javelins for support, spears in front.- Nabulung ordered his men as he readied to enter the fray. –Kill their general…- his voice broke off for Altajil who led the city´s defense had been a friend not a fortnight ago. –As soon as possible, tell the archers to focus their fire on him. For Harad! To battle!- He cried as he reared his horse to join the battle, all the cavalry following him.
    The few defenders that had been present at the gates had been swept aside and the Empire´s forces funneled the resistance into the main street, but there Altajil waited for them, and the discipline and valor of his cavalry guards showed through, putting up a fierce fight for the Haradrim spears.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Nabulung and his cavalry however had struck for a lateral street where 200 rebels held the loyalists at bay, but the banner of the Black Serpent would not be defiled that day and with a clash the First Spear broke the enemies there, pursuing them into the heart of the city.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the center, the archers had shown their valor and from the rear lines their arrows had foun Altajil´s guards and put them down like dogs, soon only Altajil and a few loyals to him remained, trying to hold the tide.

[IMG][/IMG]

His black armor a gift from Herumor, black as night with golden details, a big shield with a golden skull and a wicked axe his weapon for the day. He fought with valor and courage, but in the end the sheer numbers of the Empire cut him down and the soldiers began their advance on the square.
    There they were met by 200 men from Harondor, determined to fight to the last, for their new beliefs, for their fallen lord, their charge was filled with rage and it was enough to send some of the Empire´s troops into a rout.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Their combat discipline and superior equipment showed through, for the men of Harondor were some of the richest in all of the Empire, their people a warring one, knowing little of peace they had perfected war, and that was evident as they fought for every inch of land.
    But our people´s valor and skill held as Nabulung rode across town to get in the rearguard of our enemy, and once there he sounded his horn and charged them on their backs.
    -With me! With me men of Harad!- He yelled as he whirled his scimitar. –Mulnissar! Black Serpent! Charge!-

[IMG][/IMG]

Caught unawares the enemy´s casualties ran high, and the blood ran red and swift in the plaza´s tiles, but their rage was greater and they refused to yield, Nabulung was drove back for instants, his blade red with blood, his men tired and panting, many injured, mixed looks on their faces, today they were not fighting a foreign realm as years before, they were fighting and killing men of their own land, their own culture, their own family in some cases. Nabulung remembered his Emperor´s words.
    -“Do not hesitate. Show no mercy.”-
    And as the men in the plaza refused to surrender, he did as he was told, time and time again he charged.

[IMG][/IMG]

Killing dozens in every exchange, while the enemy slowly faded away, still fighting, refusing to give up, more than ten times he charged into the mess of rebels ahead of him.

[IMG][/IMG]

Soon everyone that had fought against Harad that day were either dead or had surrendered when they saw the futility of their struggle, and for the first time in a long time, the soldiers of Harad celebrated in victory.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Solid Snake; September 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM.

Chapter 4 is up! Hope you enjoy it! All opinions are welcome!

Chapter 4
    The Ground Trembles

Lord Taanari was the younger brother of Nabulung, by two years, he had fought in the East, on Ithilien, on Pelargir, at the Poros, and on Umbar, veteran of a hundred battles, loved by the people, much as his brother was, but also, feared by almost everyone. Even his soldiers feared him, yet their loyalty was without question, such was the confidence that the man inspired. Yet his persona was clad in an aura of fear that no one could easily explain, some said that the many battles, had scarred his heart, some others said that the very air chilled in his presence, something of note in the desert plains of Harad. Fuilnor once said of him: “If I were his elder brother, I would have given him all of my toys.” But Nabulung did not take part in this, for he loved his brother, although he knew he was, perhaps, the most dangerous man in the Empire. It wasn´t that his battles were brutal, or turned into slaughters, or that he delighted upon torturing or that he killed without reason, or that he dressed in all black, or that he takes part in pagan rituals; no that was all rumors and chatters; Taanari was just a man, same as the next one, yet everyone trembled on his presence, for he was a truly just man, loyal and obedient without question to the Emperor, loyal to the end to whatever orders he may be given. Perhaps his fame first arose from the fact that he and his forces were always assigned to the most dangerous missions, so dangerous that some would call suicidal, but Taanari saw them through to the bitter end, only accepting defeat until the last of his soldiers had fallen besides him. One of his first battles had involved a raid in the southern ranges of the Ephel Duath, a warring tribe, know to indulge in cannibalistic ways had been tearing through the area, taking small girls and boys for their sickening rituals, Taanari then only 16 had been appointed to root them out and vanquish them from the face of the earth. Due to his young age, most of the men appointed to his group opted to stay behind in the barracks, and in the end Taanari only asked for volunteers, and with other 20 men he rode North to find these monsters. It was on that mission that his legend started, the cannibals were rumored to number the hundred men; and they knew the land well. Taanari, caring not for the fear that this tribe inspired, plunged right into their territory, declaring anyone who didn´t came out and surrender to him an enemy of the Empire, and subject to execution on sight. His campaign lasted 40 days, and he lost 17 of his companions in that time. When they found a group of villagers, a hunting party, nomads herding their livestock, he asked if they were willing subjects of the Empire, if they said no, he killed them on the spot, if they said yes, he asked for information on the tribe, many said that they didn’t knew where the cannibals held camp, Taanari then had his soldiers search their belongings and the nearby grounds, many were found to have freshly dug graves near their huts, others had rest of charred human bones on their campfires, they as the others were executed without further questioning. The retribution came every night however, for after the sun had set, far beyond the Misty Mountains, the cannibals came down upon Taanari and his men, 20 men assailed by a hundred warriors, and even though they had horses and better equipment, they still lost people, either in fighting or from infected wounds. As their numbers dwindled, the survivors begged Taanari to turn back, not in shame, but to gather men and supplies to come back. The young lord would have none of it, saying that soldiers of the Empire would not be turned away by ragged savages, that true and loyal men, not caring for the odds against them would see their mission through to the end.
    -The Emperor in person ordered me to eradicate this threat.- He said, so young in front of his men, but with pure steel beneath his skin. –And to hunt this scum out of our lands, and we shall not rest till that deed is done, or we have died like men of Harad. Will you follow me?-
    The valor and pride that there was in his words, inspired the survivors of his company and so, for 40 days they fought on the outskirts of the Ephel Duath, their numbers and supplies dwindling, their shields broken, their blades blunted, until one night, at dusk, the savages came no more, all was silent, and Taanari who always kept first watch realized that the threat was over, either everyone was dead or they left, out of fear, peace had been brought again, and it was on that day and not before that he told his men.
    -Our mission is over.- He said waking them. –We can go home now.-
    That was only his first mission, tales of which were spread far and wide, to Rhun and Gondor and beyond, but it was not his last, and soon his fame rose to equal that of his brother. But the exploits of his first campaign were the one that created his image, unyielding, untouched by fear, undefeated.
    The Emperor knew that if someone could bring the proud people of Harondor back into the fold and keep them in line out of fear alone, was Taanari; and so he ordered him to take down the rebellion that Adunabar had erupted in Harondor.
    Lord Taanari marched north as soon as he could, bringing all of his power with him, and that included a regiment of mumakil, some of the few that were in active duty. The Haradrim had a strange story with those beasts, one that went back thousands upon thousands of years. Back when the Haradrim were split into several, warring tribes that spanned all the deserts and jungles south of the Ephel Duath, when the sun was young still, the Mumak already prowled the forests that grew around the Harnen, in the central plains of Harad, ancient fossils and old ornaments in the most ancestral strongholds revealed that the mumakil were even greater than they were now, perhaps even up to 70 meters from the ground up, and judging by the paintings that were sprawled across entire cave systems, their pack usually numbered the hundreds. Those beasts although menacing in their look and devastating when they wanted to, hunted neither beast or man, feasting instead upon entire forests. The Haradrim hunted them for their meat and their tusks, more often than not losing several of their own bringing down one of the giant beasts down, and so it was for hundreds of years. Gradually the great beasts shrunk in size, the reason behind this was out of natural selection, the mumaks that were smaller needed less food and so, the forests upon which they feed were able to support their populace. As the mumakil grew smaller, some of the bolder of the ancient Haradrim attempted to climb them, and ride them. For many years this was only an amazing way to kill yourself, but the men were unrelenting and at last some managed to climb all the way up to the mumak´s head, dominating the landscape below, feeling the earth tremble as their mount walked. Up there, it didn’t take long to discover the riders that the neck was a weak point of the beast, one that they hadn´t been able to reach before, and that with light touches of their spear they could command the beast at will, tapping behind the respective ear would make the animal change it´s course, pinching the animal on the base of the neck and maintaining pressure would make it lower it´s body into a “resting” position, and giving fast and strong taps in the top of the neck made the mumak charge straight ahead with unrelenting fury, rearing it´s head up and down, ravaging everything in front of it with it´s massive tusks. Soon the technique spread around and the Haradrim of that region soon had companies of Mumakil at their disposal, geared up with a small platform on it´s back that served to deploy archers and dominate the battlefield, the warchiefs insisting on riding the bigger ones, or at least lead the battle from their backs. Not much time later those warchiefs had extended their rule all over Harad, from the Eastern mountains to the western coast, uniting and conquering the land under the giant tusks of the Mumak.
    And now, even though the beasts had shrunk further down in size, the Haradrim had learned to breed them to have sufficient numbers should the need arises, but as of today the only Mumakil in the Imperial army were stationed under Taanari´s command; and he intended to make full use of them to subjugate Harondor.

[IMG][/IMG]

He had deployed his forces similar to what his brother did in Harn Gond, three rams would assault the gates as his archers rained death upon the enemy beyond the walls.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After the gates fell, Taanari sent his light troops into the breach, but the men from Harondor were better equipped and soon were decimating the entire unit.
    -My Lord.- One of Taanari´s officers said. –Our center will not hold.-
    The second son of the House of the Red Spear looked over the field and said.

[IMG][/IMG]

-No, it will not.- he turned to his runners. –Order the Umbar Guard behind them, tell them to push through when the spears rout. Tell the other companies to hurry up and bring those walls down. I want to take the town before dusk if it pleases you.- He said with utmost calm as his men hurried about to fulfill his commands.
    When one of the rams had broken through their section of wall, Taanari nodded in approval, then he put his hands to the sides of his mouth to amplify his voice, and yelled at the Mumakil riders.
    -Now! Take the right and crumble all in your path!- He turned to his runners. –Tell our infantry to gather in the center and march straight for the square, do not get in their way!- He said as he pointed to the massive beasts that began their advance.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Mumakil moved forward, the warrior at their top, chanting war songs and taunting the enemies below them, the ground shook and trembled as they made their way into the city. All it took was one sight at them, for the defenders to run and cower in fear.

[IMG][/IMG]

The warriors of the Empire concentrated their forces and swept the remaining foes in the area, reforming to march into the heart of the city. The Mumakil in the other hand turned right to surround the square and crush the enemy from behind. Midway through they found an enemy unit that had been charged to guard that area. But they would not last.

[IMG][/IMG]

The giant beasts tumbled, rumbled, tore and gored their way across those poor bastards, their bodies pummeled into the ground below, their innards pierced side to side, or just being tossed high into the air by the animal´s trunks.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Mumakil, unopposed, marched further into the heart of the city, the citizens cowering behind their doors, some dead, because their house collapsed over them as the Mumakil walked upon them; now they knew the price of rebellion.

[IMG][/IMG]

Harondor´s main force, armed with curved swords and armored with shields and high quality armor, had gathered in the main road that led to the square, there Taanari had funneled his infantry, but the main blow would not come from there…

[IMG][/IMG]

When the men of Harondor felt the heavy breath of the Mumaks on their backs, they knew it was too late.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unrelenting, unforgiving, undefeated, the Mumakil tore the enemy army to shreds, leaving their bloodied remains to rot in the streets, which were painted red as the corpses of the Harondians were crushed beneath the Mumak´s feet.

[IMG][/IMG]

The archers above their mounts only had to pick random targets, their projectiles finding mark and adding to the chaos that was below them

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After stomping their way through more house to gain the square, the Mumakil faced the famed cavalry of Harondor, clad in the finest armor available, and what was worse: bearing the seven stars of Adunabar in their banners. They looked so imposing as they waited upon their doom, and then the beasts of Taanari crushed them.

[IMG][/IMG]

Many houses had been destroyed, and many others were set aflame, under orders of Taanari to instill fear on the populace, so that they know what was the price of defying the Black Serpent of Harad, the price of rebellion was death, at the Mumak´s tusks.

[IMG][/IMG]

The battle was pretty much over at that point, whatever followed was a mockery of war, for what could stand before such might?

[IMG][/IMG]

Some pockets of resistance still endured at the plaza, but the Empire of Harad made sure to trample all signs of rebellion into the dust.

[IMG][/IMG]

Before the sun set, Harondor had fallen, the fires had spread to most of the city, but Taanari ordered his forces not to intervene.
    -The banner of the stars flew above Harondor today.- he said, shrugging. –They can ask them for help. Until the survivors come out and surrender to the Empire, they shall not receive our help.- He turned back to his tent to rest. –Make sure it burns bright.-

[IMG][/IMG]

I know that most people reading this, are "guest" accounts, and so they cannot post in here, that´s bad because I would really like to make this story your own as well, not only mine. That´s the beauty of the AAR´s that you get feedback on the road and sometimes you find a great idea hiding in the comments . So I would invite you to create an account and join me in this ride as we sail upon unknown waters. Also, what has been your favorite character so far? Greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    I know that most people reading this, are "guest" accounts, and so they cannot post in here, that´s bad because I would really like to make this story your own as well, not only mine. That´s the beauty of the AAR´s that you get feedback on the road and sometimes you find a great idea hiding in the comments . So I would invite you to create an account and join me in this ride as we sail upon unknown waters. Also, what has been your favorite character so far? Greetings!
    I am loving this AAR at the moment! Very nice work ss. So much drama, especially the chapter where the son gets sent to the same place his father died at. When I read that part I was just like OFFFTTTTT!!!! about to go down
    Last edited by seleucid empire; September 29, 2014 at 08:10 AM.

New chapter is up, short one, but a door to greater things. Greetings to you all! Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 5

The march of the Haradrim

Fuilnor left his home in Umbar as the rebellions in Harondor were being quelled, he left with 5 thousand behind him, and his wife and child behind him; his task was to march to the far reaches of the Empire and subdue whatever warring tribes remained and muster all of the East behind him; Rhun, the great Chiefdom of the East however, worried him, and worried Mulnissar as well.
    -Amandil said that Rhun would join him.- The Black Serpent had said to him. –For our sake we hope they don’t, if they do, they will strike for the Anduin to the north of the Mountains of Shadow, like they have done hundreds of times.- He grabbed Fuilnor by the arm. –But once our true intentions are revealed, some will try to strike South to our lands, our border with them must be made secure Fuilnor.- The Emperor looked at him in the eyes. –All of our force will march North, but I will not let our lands unprotected. You will see that the border is safe and gather all our men that live there; bring even the Black Men, their strength is something the West has not seen in centuries, it´s high time they get a taste of it again.-
    And so Fuilnor had left for the East. His first task was to subdue the Variag tribes that had been causing trouble in the region of Parchereb.

[IMG][/IMG]

His task seemed easy enough, for now, but in his heart Fuilnor knew that from the sands of Far Harad, a greater task, more perilous, awaited for him. The castle of Dol Amroth, with it´s high towers and white ships, with it´s fearsome knights; the field where his father died, fighting at the top of it´s walls. That was his true task, one that he would have to conquer or die fighting for it.

Far away, back in Umbar, a hundred ships had sailed, but today one had returned. It´s captain went to the Black Serpent´s Palace to deliver an important message.
    -Who authorized that?!- Mulnissar roared. –Who did?! It sure wasn´t me, so who gave the order?- He asked to the bewildered messenger.
    -The Grand Admiral did my Emperor.- the young man said, on his knees. –We thought the order came from you…-
    -His orders were to pillage and raid Pelargir and nearby shores.- Mulnissar yelled standing up. -Not to send a thousand men to damn Anfalas!-
    The Emperor sat back down, fuming.
    -And then?- he asked. –Did you take the blasted outpost?-
    -Yes my Lord.- the young sailor said with a smile. –It was a great battle, but I fear I only saw it from the deck of my ship, but I will tell you as I saw it…-

[IMG][/IMG]

Far away, in the farthest reaches of the Reunited Kingdom, off to the west, in sandy shoals and white cliffs, stood a Gondorian outpost, Anfalas, the far away Long Beach, isolated from the world it stood on a rocky cliff that overlooked the sea. One such day the sea was filled with the black sails from Umbar and an army of corsairs had surrounded the town to lay siege upon it. The people inhabiting it, were loyal to the Winged Crown, but it´s rule was weak at best, and they for the most part, were an independent folk; deprived from much of the advancements that more developed regions enjoyed. Armed with spears, shields and light mail they came out to do battle against the corsairs, a feared enemy from tales of old.

[IMG][/IMG]

-As they came out of the town, our warriors marched forward to meet them, spears in front, as the corsairs and our cavalry circled them to pummel them.- the young man said as he narrated the battle to Mulnissar. –I saw many javelins flying the air, and I heard the cries coming from their victims.-
    -I saw the blades of the corsairs hacking through the enemy, right, left and center. I heard the battle horns and cries as our cavalry charged the enemy´s rear, routing them completely.-

[IMG][/IMG]

-Then I saw our people move into the town, as all hands in the ships celebrated in anticipation our victory.- He smiled. –I did not saw what happened next, but I could hear the sounds of battle coming all the way over to us, out at sea; and I can be certain that the defenders put quite a battle. Soon those noises died down, and from afar I could see our Black Serpent rising in the air.-

[IMG][/IMG]

The sailor finished it´s tale, and bowed his head, awaiting his Emperor. Mulnissar with a light smile, nodded and grumbled his approval.
    -So we have a beachhead in Anfalas.- he said. –That will prove useful as our battle grows near.-
    -Yes, my Lord, although the people are very angry at our regime there, tensions were high as I sailed back to Umbar, I fear the town may riot.-
    -It is of no matter, the man in charge, a corsair I presume, they know how to handle that kind of things, with fear and fire.- Said the Emperor. –You are dismissed, you have my gratitude for delivering this good news to us.-
    The young man left the Throne Room and Mulnissar turned to one of his servants.
    -Send riders to all corners of the Empire, tell them that Harad has shed first blood against Gondor, tell them that our vengeance has begun.-
    Mulnissar sit back on his Throne, relaxed, a wicked grin on his face, he knew that this time it would be different for his people, no more failures, no more humiliation, now, it was their time to rule.

Hey,

I just made an account on twcenter for the first time, and the first thing i'd like to do with it, is congratulate you on this cool AAR. Very nice story, very well made. I really like reading it, and i hope you continue with it
    I like LOTR, not a fan per se, and i like the haradrim for the mumakil. Very curious to see what the black men are, and what Fuilnor will do with them
    Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

JoonKaboon

I thank you very much for reading; welcome to TWC, there are so many things to do here, and I feel glad that you enjoy the AAR. I had some trouble with some CTD´s I was getting in the campaign, but they are solved now, and I will continue writing now. There is so much things I want to show you, we will go far friends... Expect the new chapter on the weekend. Cheers!

Thnx for the kind welcome I've been lurking on these forums from time to time over the past few years, just never felt a reason to post yet :p Glad your CTDs are fixed now! Looking forward to the next entry!

Here we are again! Hope you enjoy it! I know I did writing it!

Chapter 6
    The Arrow and the Horn

As the New Year draw nearer, the Haradrim hurried to get all their men in motion, to get them geared up and ready for the war that was to come. But little they knew of the danger that came upon them, three days before the New Year in Gondor.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was the scouts of Taanari that first saw the invading force, but they had already crossed the Poros and were well into Harondor when the scout first reported to him.
    -You mean to tell me that Cemendur, King of the Reunited Kingdom crossed the Poros in arms and we did nothing to stop him?- Taanari asked, hidden his anger behind a stern face.
    The Poros, the great river that flowed between Ithilien and Harad, the border that over the centuries had been the ground of many battles and conflicts, most of them with the Empire on the losing side, the most recent one had been in Eldarions´ invasion, when Taanari had clashed with the might of Gondor in defense of his land, that time, the battle had raged for days and nights, with the Haradrim fighting almost to the last man, but in the end losing against the army that Eldarion led. Taanari and Harad had not forgotten the Poros and the many deaths that it´s waters held, the very region was a bitter memory of the failures of the past.
    -How can this be?- Kalahir, one of Taanari´s lieutenants asked. –The New Year is almost upon us, Cemendur should be in Minas Anor unaware of his brother plans…and ours.-
    Taanari gave him a stern look. –Amandil is behind this.- he said, clenching his teeth. –How can this be, you ask? Amandil has told his brother that we are to launch a full invasion in Ithilien. The bastard…- he said as he pondered over the map that sat on the table. –He means to weaken his brother´s realm by drawing him out here, making us do his dirty job for him, a rumor of an invasion…- he sighed. –I gather a rumor it´s enough to send Cemendur running all the way down here, of course he will not believe anything ill from his own brother; all the while Amandil will launch his rebellion with his brother far away to respond, he will march on Minas Anor as we bleed each other on the desert.-
    Kalahir spoke again. –So no talking this out then?- he asked.
    -What are we going to say? That we are gathering every able man in the Empire just to give a stroll through our lands? The sea raids alone were enough to make Cemendur suspicious.- Taanari said. –He has come for war, and war he shall have.-
    He looked at his captains with that look that spoke of his tremendous force of will, a will that was made of iron.
    -You!- He said to the scout. –Send word to my brother, to the Emperor and to Haran, tell them that Gondor has come…- The scout bowed and made it´s way out, but Taanari was not over. –And tell them, that the banner that made our Empire bleed, will soon be rags upon the sand, tell them that I shall make them pay.-
    -Gather all our cavalry and the mumakil, we will chase Cemendur across the Harondor.- he said to Kalahir. –Your brother shall have the command in the city while we are gone.-
    And so Taanari left with 500 riders behind him, first he had made sure that there was a rested man and his horse every 3 miles between North Harondor and Nabulung so that news could reach him in haste. Not 4 hours after he had left, such a rider caught up with him.
    -Another one?- Yelled Taanari in surprise.

[IMG][/IMG]

Faramir, son of Hurin Prince of Ithilien, that is son of Faramir the Kind the last Steward of Gondor, a family that brought no pleasant memory to the Snake of Iron.
    -Cemendur will have to wait.- he turned to his men. –We ride back! Tell the army to meet us west of the city, and together we shall trample this invader.-
    Taanari had rode all the night to meet with his full force in Harondor, while Faramir held his camp north of the city, in two days the New Year would begin and then shall come the true battle.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Haradrim marched forward with all their might as the dawn broke in the East, soon they had covered the ground that separated them from Faramir and his force. The General surprised his men as he rode out with an envoy into the terrain that sat between the armies; Faramir soon seeing this followed suit. On one side the Black Serpent, and on the other the fabled White Company. Red Spear and White Tree were the banners. Faramir counted 40 years, not quite as old as Taanari, but due to his Numenorean heritage, he looked no more than 20, and acted like one.
    -Faramir of Ithilien.- Taanari greeted him. –You have crossed the Poros in arms, leave now and you will come to no harm, I promise.-
    -And leave you alone to keep your plots against us?- Faramir asked. –You are planning an invasion, are you not? Didn´t you had enough when the King last came here?-
    The mock angered Taanari but he remained calm.
    -Our force is gathering yes, but not against you.- He said.
    -Lies.- Faramir retorted. –For the past fortnight your ships have made their raids all along our shore, a hundred black sails, all with the serpent of Harad on them. Do you deny that as well?-
    -You have no enemies here, not now, not here.- Taanari said, a deep furrow on his brow. –If you want war, turn back to your lands, I guess you shall find plenty of that there.-
    -What do you mean, you foul snake?- Faramir asked. –The only enemy that still threaten us, in fact the only one that has waged war against us in recent memory is YOU.-
    -What day it is today?- Taanari asked. – March the 23rd? Hurry home now, and you might still have a home to defend.-
    Suspicion grew in Faramir´s eyes. Confusion raced his mind, yes a few orc raids were common in his lands, so close to the Ephel Duath, but they never came in number, there was no number of orcs to speak of now, not after Sauron fell, he just couldn´t gather the thought of Emyn Arnen under attack, and not with Amandil Prince of the Moon Tower guarding the way into Mordor, no, this was another lie of the Haradrim.
    -The only time my home has burned, was when you were last on it.- Faramir said with anger on his voice.
    30 years ago, when the Haradrim had invaded Gondor, Taanari was tasked with setting Ithilien aflame, with only 20 years on his back and with 20 thousand men at his back, he had crossed into Ithilien bringing 30 mumakil with him. This attack was before the main force of Harad made land on Pelargir, an attack that Taanari would join after his campaign in Ithilien.
    -Yes, I bested your father at the Poros.- he said with a smile. –His rangers cost me dearly in the crossing, but I made him turn tail and run, as I set the countryside aflame, he abandoned Emyn Arnen, his seat; did I scare him so? Me, a young boy, against a veteran of his nature? I sat on your father´s seat for ten days before I left to battle him again.-
    -And then he beat you.- Faramir said with a smirk.
    -Yes, your father and King Eldarion sprang and ambush for me at the Crossroads, not unlike that of your grandfather in Henneth Annun.- he sighed. –His rangers won the battle, I lost all my mumakil and I would have lost all my men if King Eldarion hadn´t insisted in taking me and my men prisoners. I will not make the same mistake again, I underestimated your rangers, that will not happen again.-
    -You will not have a second chance at invading our lands.-
    -My dear boy, do you not need me to invade your lands, that is if they are still your lands.- It was Taanari´s turn to mock. -30 years ago your father had more than a thousand archers at his command, I see no more than 200 in your ranks, and you are in my plains, not in your forests. If you do not leave now, my Mumakil shall grind you into dust.-
    For the first time Faramir felt fear as he saw the great beasts of Harad in the distance, waiting for battle.
    -First time you see them, yes?- Taanari asked. –How many of your men has seen them before? No one? At the Pelennor, 20 Mumakil destroyed half of the cavalry of Eomer of Rohan, do you think you can stop them?-
    -All those beast died in battle.- Faramir said. –When the King showed up, they all died.-
    -The King of the Dead you mean. –Taanari said. –I know the history, your King Elessar took our ships and used his dark sorcery to bring the dead into battle. No sorcery will help you today.- He gave Faramir a hard look. –Leave now, or I shall have no mercy upon you.-
    Faramir spat on the ground and left, there would be battle.

[IMG][/IMG]

Taanari ordered his men, the Mumakil on the left, with himself and two thirds of his cavalry on the right. His infantry and archers would take the center.
    On the other side of the field, Faramir ordered his cavalry to both flanks, and his archers to lead the way into battle.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The warriors atop the Mumakil sharpened their spears and checked their safety ropes as they looked at the approaching enemy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Taanari stopped for a second to address his troops. –We have not forgotten.- he said. –We have not forgotten Pelennor, Lebennin, Dol Amroth, the Poros, we have not forgotten Umbar, we have not forgotten Harad! For Harad! Drive these invaders from our lands!-

[IMG][/IMG]

The Gondorians trembled as the earth shook beneath their feet, for the Mumakil had begun their advance, and when the Mumak walks the earth trembles.

[IMG][/IMG]

One thing was true, the Rangers of Ithilien were the better archers and had more range, but the archers of Harad matched them, arrow by arrow. Taanari and his Black Serpents hurried in, to deliver their arrows into the advancing companies.

[IMG][/IMG]

Faramir made his first blunder, as a lone company of swordsmen hurried forward to protect the rangers, the spears of Harad met them soon enough, and the Mumakil moved forward.

[IMG][/IMG]

Caught in front by the spearmen of Harad, the Gondor infantry was promptly surrounded by the corsairs, that with a frenzy, threw themselves into battle.
    -For Umbar!- they cried. –For Harad!- they yelled as they cut and hacked their way across the Gondorian ranks.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Mumakils kept advancing on the left, their will set upon breaking the enemy´s flank and crushing them beneath their mounts feet.

[IMG][/IMG]

The cavalry was the first target, as the Mumak riders prod them into a full charge, rearing their heads low to pierce as many as they could with their massive tusks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Boom! Went the ground as the Mumakil collided with their prey, slashing, trampling and goring their way through, the horses were thrown high into the air, the riders were felled with a well aimed spear, the archers were stomped upon as they tried to target the beast´s eyes. Broken horses and broken men soon covered the battlefield.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the right however things got messy; Taanari ordered half his cavalry forward to clash with the enemy´s horse, the other half was to circle around and hit them from behind. The Haradrim were superb horsemen, a discipline that Gondor knew little of, and it showed that day in the plains.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the left, the enemy was in shambles, afraid of the Haradrim mounts, dropping their weapons and fleeing for their lives. The mumakil soon targeted Faramir and his White Company.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Elite warriors they were supposed to be, and their arrows made some damage, but soon they were surrounded as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

The riders from the Harnen had eliminated the cavalry from Ithilien and now they targeted the remaining infantry that Faramir still had.

[IMG][/IMG]

The battle was over, but as Taanari had promised no mercy was shown, and the Haradrim chased and killed what remained of the enemy´s army.

[IMG][/IMG]

After the battle was over, Taanari looked for Faramir´s body, Kalahir was the one to find it.
    -My Lord! Over here!- he yelled.
    Taanari rushed to his side, and dismounted. Of Faramir not much was left, apparently one of the Mumakil had pierced him with it´s tusk and dismembered his body, only his upper torso was there, his legs some 20 feet apart, the only way to recognize him was the white helmet adorned with the White Tree of Gondor, and the silver arrow on his chest that was the sigil of his House.

[IMG][/IMG]

-What is that?- Kalahir asked, picking up something from the ground next to the dead Prince. –Is this…?-
    -The Horn of Gondor.- Taanari recognized the ancient treasure at once. –One of his ancestors…Boromir I think, made this horn sound in battle, and when the horn sang, help would came.- The white horn had been broken into several pieces, even so it´s golden details could still be seen. –King Elessar had it remade and gave it to Faramir the Kind many years ago.-
    -It´s broken now.- Kalahir said with a smile.
    -Forever broken.- Taanari said as he tossed the pieces into the wind.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice update! hmm i dont like them fighting Gondor (no criticism), its just that LOTR has inprinted me with unyielding support for Gondor, i cannot support the Haradrim if they attack them I am really sad that the son of faramir is dead
    Now im anxiously awaiting if Gondor will realise in time the treachery of its sister nation! :O

Don´t blame me, blame Amandil and his lies to set them upon me I think that you didnt get the blood line right, it goes Faramir (from the LOTR movies)- Hurin (Lord of Emyn Arnen)-Faramir II (which died in battle in this AAR)

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    Don´t blame me, blame Amandil and his lies to set them upon me I think that you didnt get the blood line right, it goes Faramir (from the LOTR movies)- Hurin (Lord of Emyn Arnen)-Faramir II (which died in battle in this AAR)
    Hehe, The BASTARD!! :p
    Ow true, woops, mixed that up :p Well in that case its not too bad, as long as the LOTR Faramir does not have to bury his son

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast