Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying but failing at enjoying Skyrim?

Default Trying but failing at enjoying Skyrim?

Well I bought the game about a year after it came out, played one character and got really into it, played about 40 hours. Then I started rushing through the game probably because I had been playing it too long at the time. Then I tried making a new character and a new character and so on. I had then done the opening axe scene like 20 times and never actually sticking with any of the characters.

I guess I made one character who had a really realistic backstory but I feel like I can't just recreate that character again because it wouldn't be the same.

Basically I know I'll enjoy Skyrim again once I get past perhaps the first 2 hours of gaming, getting past that one quest that takes about an hour to complete that I had always went out and done first, the one to find the guy's stolen artifact from his shop, so you go up into that mountain nearby the first village you encounter. All that bit just seems like too much, every time I try to start up a new game I just get so depressed at doing all those bits that I know half by halt.

The same thing has happened with the ME series only ever getting to ME 2 and about 10 hours into that game, again it happened because I made a character I really enjoyed. In fact this happens to me in pretty much every game that is role playing based. Now I spend so much time trying to get everything right, in a roleplay sense, such as looking and trying hard to feel and get the most out of it. Which comes naturally when it's your first playthrough but is almost impossible to attain again.

So after that rant if you're still reading, I hope to get some advice on how to just get into the game and enjoy it again like I once did. What's the best way abotu going about creating a character without feeling it has to be perfect and everything has to be perfect, really is my problem. I just want to play the game and I know that once I get past the first couple of hours then the random quests and all the other quests not to do with the main quest is really where the game thrives.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Default Re: Trying but failing at enjoying Skyrim?

Mods.

Alternate Start mod. (puts your char at a random location, you dont do the intro quest. If you want to start the main quest line you gotta go to Helgen)
    Frostfall
    Cloaks of Skyrim
    Wet and Cold
    Hunterborn
    Realistic Needs
    Camping Lite
    Sky redone
    Sounds of Skyrim
    Immersive patrols (bandits, imperials, stormcloaks, vampires, werewolves, etc etc).
    Immersive Armors
    Immersive Weapons

And a bunch of other immersive/roleplaying mods that add to the game. I have really played only 4 characters, and only 1 of those made the campaign quests. All the other three didnt do 1 main quest and were completely dovahkiin free. Each character i roleplayed in their way, and did quests that suited that character. Last one i had (which i will start another char exactly like him after i completely reinstall Skyrim and all the 80 or so mods in 3 months) was heavily inspired by Aragorn, pretty awesome playing with him! Wulfburk Son of Wulfgarl... Ranger of the Nor-... South, since he is an imperial.
    Last edited by Wulfburk; September 16, 2014 at 01:56 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

mods go to the website. www.theengineeringguild.co.uk there are some great mods on there.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

I just use the nexus really.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

The engineering guild's mods are large in depth mods and they are not on any other website.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Definitely alternate start mod. I recently smoked one month gathering all shiz and i still need to sort out of my load order. I will post it later on.
    Frostfall might be a little overwhelming for some people so you might prefer hypothermia.

I would also recommend pumping iron mod. My personal favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post
    The engineering guild's mods are large in depth mods and they are not on any other website.

J\K of course. Cheers bro this sounds like a great website, i'm starting a new playthrough myself so will dig into it.

Well, there's always new mods coming out that make the experience much fresher. I'm still avidly playing Skyrim three years later. It has kind of grown on me, given how I didn't really like the game at first.

If you don't feel like doing the same thing again, Random Alternate Start is great, as people suggested. You could also try the follower mods. I never really paid much attention to mods like Vilja, Inigo,Atvir Dres, etc - but recently started a game after deciding to give them a shot. It adds SO much more flavor to the game and to the main storyline, since interesting characters that stick with you are something I thought Skyrim really missed.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Duel - Combat Realism and ACE + of course the Alternate Start Mod is the only way for me to play and if you play with those mods perhaps you'll enjoy it? Of course Skyrim isn't for everybody and it can get grindy with leveling skills so be weary that you may not reach 200+ hours if it isn't your type of game.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I played about 100 hours of Skyrim with the DLC. It was always the same character and I could never enjoy it again with a new character. I don't understand how people can stand to play the game more than that. I know there are mods, but maybe I'm just lazy and I don't know which ones to download because everyone has a different opinion on which are good.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    I played about 100 hours of Skyrim with the DLC. It was always the same character and I could never enjoy it again with a new character. I don't understand how people can stand to play the game more than that. I know there are mods, but maybe I'm just lazy and I don't know which ones to download because everyone has a different opinion on which are good.
    I kind of agree, after my first playthrough I've never really found the magic that made me love it in the first place. Same goes for Oblivion.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Cant say i agree, my current alternate start playthrough (meaning im not making a dovahkiin char) which i just started days ago already is more fun than my first 2 campaign playthroughs.

Everyone has different opinions on which mods are good so thats why you gotta download those that add whatever you think would increase your experience. Want to feel cold? Get frostfall, want LOTR weapaons? get the LOTR weapons and shields pack, want to have to eat and drink and sleep? Get realistic needs... and so on.

AreMacSee's Avatar Laetus

I really have to agree. The base game is certainly good, but is far more repetitive than the previous games. The quests were really uninspired to me and the game felt empty.

I know a lot of people wont agree, but to be honest I definitely enjoyed my time with Morrowind/Oblivion more than Skyrim. Skyrim may be a technically superior game, but lacks the "feel" of the previous two.
    Maybe it's just nostalgia?

goro's Avatar Tribunus

Yeah it's nostalgia. When i first played the game the day it got out i burned my eyes 19 hours playing it. After 2-3 days i got bored of it for some reason. It didn't feel like oblivion which i loved (except the watermelon faces). Thank god i decided to try again after a month or two and my salvation was role playing. Finding the right character to play and making him perfect is the basis of a good playthrough. Also you need to have a plan on what you want to focus on. When you have done that go find some mods, add about 50 of them and make the gem perfect. I want to play the game again but after seeing the game run on tons of mods i got spoiled and can't play without them. Sadly my pc can't run the game with so many mods

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by AreMacSee View Post
    I really have to agree. The base game is certainly good, but is far more repetitive than the previous games. The quests were really uninspired to me and the game felt empty.

I know a lot of people wont agree, but to be honest I definitely enjoyed my time with Morrowind/Oblivion more than Skyrim. Skyrim may be a technically superior game, but lacks the "feel" of the previous two.
    Maybe it's just nostalgia?
    It's not that. Year after year games becomes more repetitive and streamlined for casuals. There are of example for these but Skyrim is one of the perfect ones.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    It's not that. Year after year games becomes more repetitive and streamlined for casuals. There are of example for these but Skyrim is one of the perfect ones.
    It's like everything you say is "conspiracy casual filth everything is worse than it used to be" lol. Skyrim isn't "streamlined for casuals", casual games are farmville and crap like that. Skyrim may be easier to get into than Morrowind but it really isn't for casuals.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Best way to enjoy Skyrim is just avoid the main quest. Even better a mod like Skyrim unbound you can turn it all off including all the dragons.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Many many interesting places to explore. Dont only do quests. Enter some ruins that are not quest related. You will be surprised by the enormous variety of things that exist in this game

I'm playing on the 360! Should have mentioned this. So mods aren't possible. It means going through that very predictable (to me) entrance scene and going through about 1-2 hours of gameplay I've played countless times before. By the time all that's done, no thanks. I have no motivation to carry on.

Also trying to think of an interesting character is tough as well, I had one originally, it's difficult not to just go for the boring your either helping or against the rebels.

I have had the same feeling about the intro every time I decide to play it anymore. If you can get past that what I usually do is go in a completely different direction than usual. Try to go somewhere unknown to you, and explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    It's like everything you say is "conspiracy casual filth everything is worse than it used to be" lol. Skyrim isn't "streamlined for casuals", casual games are farmville and crap like that. Skyrim may be easier to get into than Morrowind but it really isn't for casuals.
    I enjoy Skyrim but it is really painfully streamlined and if there is an adventure rpg out there made for casuals it is Skyrim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast