Thread: [Resolved] CHKDSK: Why is this running?

Default [Resolved] CHKDSK: Why is this running?

Could someone out there enlighten me as to why the heck CHKDSK is running on my PC? I tried looking it up elsewhere but all I could find is "the what" about it when really I am looking for "the Why" and the "How" to prevent it. How come I have been gaming on PC for, oh I don't know 15 years let's say, and it's just the last three month it has ran? It takes about 20-30 minutes to run on start up, no option to do it or bypass and I swear the first time it happened I crapped my pants because I thought my PC was toast. Now it is just a mild inconvience but I cannot help but think there is something I can do to prevent it because there very well could be something mildly wrong with my PC. Any brainiacs out there able to shed some light? Is it something I should be concerned about? Worth paying someone to look at my PC?

I did find these but I don't think any apply:

Improper Shutdown: I always shut down my pc from the start menu.

Malware: DOn't think so, I have Norton and run virus check weekly.

Hard Disk Issue: Pretty vague if you ask me.....that's why I'm asking here.

Using Vista, I shut down my PC every night, pretty sure I run it at least once every day. Like I said never came across this until the last 5 months maybe where it has run probably 4 times, two of them on Tuesdays in consecutive weeks. I haven't updated windows in a loong time becasue i had two comuter fry doing them. One laptop died during an Update and other PC the power went out during an update, FML right?

Default Re: CHKDSK: Why is this running?

CHKDSK runs automatically when your windows has been improperly shutdown during a hard drive operation and resulted in some read\write error. It repeats itself if it's unable to fix the errors and that usually happens when bad sectors have started to appear which aren't fixable.

You need to check hard disk health using HD Tune. If there are no errors then it's just windows vista acting up unnecessarily. To disable that do this.
    If there are bad sectors then backup your data before your HDD's state worsens and you end up losing everything on it.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Hantscher View Post
    I haven't updated windows in a loong time becasue i had two comuter fry doing them. One laptop died during an Update and other PC the power went out during an update, FML right?
    So you think update might break it?

Quote Originally Posted by Taiji View Post
    So you think update might break it?
    It's always in the back of my mind yes haha.

And thanks Ishan, I will try that HD tune. I'

I had one damaged block, I was told it is not much to worry about but just monitor it and make sure it does not get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Hantscher View Post
    I had one damaged block, I was told it is not much to worry about but just monitor it and make sure it does not get worse.
    Yeah it doesn't matter unless the damaged blocks start increasing at an alarming rate. Turn S.M.A.R.T ON to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Yeah it doesn't matter unless the damaged blocks start increasing at an alarming rate. Turn S.M.A.R.T ON to be on the safe side.
    And considering I am days away from wiping my hardrive when I upgrade to Windows 7 it may even be less of an issue

I'm marking this as resolved, if you have any further questions related to it then please ask.