Thread: I FINALLY GOT IT!! I FIXED THE BANNER ISSUE!! heres a how to guide..

Icon6 I FINALLY GOT IT!! I FIXED THE BANNER ISSUE!! heres a how to guide..

Hello people! After many hours and following the instructions of LusitanPlayer to whom i'm extremely gratefull!
    First i had to change some units in the export_descr_unit.txt located in mods/ss6.4/data
    i noticed that some units have captains mixed with other units, standart units like ritterbrudder, if i increased the LOD for those units, the regular units whould also lost the "sprite" condition (that saves a lot of FPS and headackes for low end computers like mine)
    what to do on export_descr_unit.txt :

type Mailed Knights
    dictionary Mailed_Knights ; Mailed Knights, f
    category cavalry ; superior mounted melee, early lance/sword
    class .....
    officer Mailed_Knights --------> notice two officers, 1 regular and 1 belonging to the unit. i changed that one to "northern_captain" (no "")
    officer northern_captain_early_flag (notice you can use any officer unit (northern_captain_early_flag, northern_captain, eastern_captain etc...)
    mount early heavy horse and they will be the only permanently 3d units. The rest are all sprites...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    so it looked like this:
    officer northern_captain --------> now you only need to increase the LOD for all the captain/officer units and leave untouched the rest of the units.
    officer northern_captain_early_flag
    mount early heavy horse

I did that for ALL UNITS, from ALL NATIONS, off course putting the respective captain, eastern for arabs and so.. russian for.. well.. russians xD

Then i modified the LOD value for those units (only the officers/captains) on mods/ss6.3/data/unit_models
    like this:
    16 northern_captain
    1 1
    90 unit_models/_generals_and_captains/northern_captain_early/northern_captain_early_lod0.mesh 10000 <----(change to 999999 or something that suits your needs)
    The pros: Sprite to 3D change will be smoother, banners and flags will be seen from far.
    The cons: Loose a little bit of variety (actually only 1 individual soldier per platoon/unit) but nearly unnoticeable.
    I hope that my hours of suffering will make others as happy as i'm right now. Time to go siege jerusalem with Al Naser Saladhuddin!

Default Re: I FINALLY GOT IT!! I FIXED THE BANNER ISSUE!! heres a how to guide..

hahaha finally, After much much work you finally did it haha and yes, just as i expected, all you had to do was change de LOD of the bannermen
    i just think you shouldnt have created so many topics about it. the one here was a start, and the one in moddings too, just this one maybe wasnt so muc needed

do you mind showing that with a picture? to be honest, i would love doing that myself and taking away the floating banners, would look epic.

Default Re: I FINALLY GOT IT!! I FIXED THE BANNER ISSUE!! heres a how to guide..

[IMG][/IMG]

Notice the banners doesnt dissappear. Also notice i use the smallest 3d circle and a bloom mod.

Here's a closer look, how beautiful those banners look all aligned up! Try to find out where the sprites begin..

[IMG][/IMG]

Some more [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Here you can see the banners from up front, notice all those soldiers are sprites!!
    HEIL SPRITES!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Notice the general's banner.. how pretty n.n
    When i have more time i'll upload a cruzader screenshot, whit that steel cross on the horizon... the banners of Allah will crush the infidels!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Here's a picture where you can see the sprites as i see them in the game (yeah i know they're ugly but at least i got the banners wich is good..xD
    Next step, darkening the sprites so they blend better.
    Pd: in-game the sprites look better because i nearly notice them, here they're pretty obvious because i wanted to show them clear.

now THAT IS SOMETHING COOL.
    i've been thinking aobut doing it a while ago but i havent tried because i am trying to learn how to fiddle with textures.
    but that really looks cool.
    really cool, having faction banners and flags on the battlefield looks so much cooler than the floating banners!
    Epic!

Jejeje glad you liked it! If you use SS6.4 try it! the first thing i did when i installed m2tw was disabling the green circles and the floating banners. Is much more exiting to fight on realistic circumstances, as a gen you wouldn't see floating banners, actually the hand held banners help indicating the amount of units (platoons) fighting, and if i see the banner fall then i know that the captain is dead and the platoon will soon be on scape route =)
    I wish you could see the battles i do. Last one i did it this morning, 7000 english man vs 7200 french, 3 vs 3. What a massacre.. 10k+ dead. The biggest battle i've ever made, 24k. 15k turks vs 9k byzantines (5 vs 3), huge city (actually i called it constantinople xD), we killed every single byz on that square jejej, it took me 4 hours (on v.hard) to take the city. 1st hour cannon siege, 38 cannons and 1 giant bombard. 2nd hour 1st assault. 3rd hour 2nd assault 4th hour, final assault, order the two reserve armys to advance to city plaza and kill everyone.. the smoke... fire.. oh.. good memories =)

Tiro

Sounds like you've got lots of fun.. hehe This reminds me of my days when i was playing Rome Total War.. Geez, i was a maniac back then..

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Can you share your export_descr_unit.txt file please?

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    Can you share your export_descr_unit.txt file please?
    I can, but i would recommend you to edit the files yourself, the file might (i'm 99% sure is) be different -as i have some submods like byz infantry-
    Its not that hard to do, use Ctrl+F to locate all "Officer" lines (no quotes) and modifie those that say something different from "northern_captain_early", "northern_captain" -->that one has no flag "eastern_captain_early_flag", or "eastern_captain" (no quotes). Anyway, i'll try to upload the file to a text file hosting site because i'm not sure i can do it here.. can i?

export_descr_unit.txt Oh!.. looks like i DO can xDDDDDDD here it is, if it doesnt work directly use it only as a refference.
    And something important.

MAKE A BACKUP OF THE ORIGINAL ONE. Rename.bak or something. I screw like 20 files before finding the right way to do it.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Good job!!! The result looks very good. I should give it a try. +rep
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader