Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Sassanids Unit Preview WIP

Default Re: Sassanids Unit Preview WIP

Total War: Attila review on Sassanid:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Would you like to comment on these units?
    Last edited by The Crooked Philosopher; November 18, 2014 at 11:46 PM.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Is it there any need to comment the units we are seeing on Attila TW? They are simply HORRID!

naddum's Avatar Libertus

In terms of the predecessors to the Islamic Ghulams slave warriors, theres no evidence of such in Sasanian Iran. The predecessors were likely from Sogdiana, namely the Chakirs.

As for the preview:

(I wasn't even being picky!)
    Eran ud Turan - recreating the Iranian, Indian, and Central Asian worlds of late antiquity:
    https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    I should mention that the Strategikon does detail Sassanid Warfare quite vividly...
    No it does not. It just scratch the Late Sassanian warfare.

--------

Interesting threads with interesting arguments. Wonder I have found it so late.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    No it does not. It just scratch the Late Sassanian warfare.

--------

Interesting threads with interesting arguments. Wonder I have found it so late.
    It is never too late.
    When I saw that officer helmet I scratched my head in astonishment. The only similar helmet to that one I ever saw belonged to Thor on the Marvel comic books. So in a few words Attila is going to be a total comic by historical standards. Its a shame.

Cheers
    Last edited by Reno Melitensis; November 20, 2014 at 03:48 AM.

There is even discussion of the Sassanians used helmets with horns.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

There is even discussion of the Sassanians used helmets with horns.
    Nice to see you nthis way Gäiten

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

You are welcome, Rio

If I may ask, how many units would you like to have for the Sassanians in IB2?

naddum's Avatar Libertus

Winged and horned helmets would be rare, reserved only for Kings and Princes and the like. The Marzbans and Spahbeds had their own specific diadems to be worn around helmets which is detailed in Gyelesen's "Great-Commander (wuzurg-framadār) and court counselor (dar-andarzbed) in the Sasanian Empire (224-651): The sigillogrpahic evidence"

No way would I give regular soldiers, regular commanders, and even bodyguard soldiers such status items.
    Eran ud Turan - recreating the Iranian, Indian, and Central Asian worlds of late antiquity:

Quote Originally Posted by naddum View Post
    In terms of the predecessors to the Islamic Ghulams slave warriors, theres no evidence of such in Sasanian Iran. The predecessors were likely from Sogdiana, namely the Chakirs.

As for the preview:

(I wasn't even being picky!)
    All things not to say if you meet one of those guys in a dark alley. Seriously though, even if that unit looked perfect, would it really make Atilla more fun to play? Its problems are way beyond the aesthetic, I think. Rome 1 got away with a lot worse than this, but it got a pass because it was so addictively fun. I don't look at Rome II and Atilla as being games people will be nostalgic over ten years from now. Even after all the roster overhauls and realism mods, it's just a pig in make-up. IBFD meanwhile, will be icing on a cake.

You are welcome, Rio

If I may ask, how many units would you like to have for the Sassanians in IB2?
    I would like to keep it in the range of 16 to 20 units. This includes highly specialized units. The Sassanians will have the highest ratio of cavalry to infantry. Anything more is over kill.. Your thoughts on this Gäiten? Reno, Midnight. and Rhalina will need to be included for this final decision
    Last edited by Riothamus; November 21, 2014 at 08:16 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

naddum's Avatar Libertus

16 - 20 including or excluding regional specific units? Or would they be AOR?

Hmm, I recomend you the following:

Cavalry:
    Pushtigban - body guard unit (super heavy lancers)
    Zhayyedan (immortals) - main line of house of Sassan "comitatus" - clibinarii lancers
    Vaspuragan - princely Asavaran - clibinarii lancers
    Wuzurgan - Asavaran of the Grand Clans - - clibinarii lancers
    Azadan - minor Iranian nobles - cataphract horse archers
    Dehkans - Iranian yeomen - medium horse archers

Infantry
    Payghan - simple levied peasant, of very low battle value
    medium spearmen, better quality, maybe padded armor
    heavy spearmen, mail armor
    slingers
    javelinmen (must not be only Kurdish)
    footarchers - medium foot archers, , maybe padded armor
    royal footarchers - elite archers, mail armor
    Daylami Infantry - regional infantry, rather medium
    Kushan infantry - regional infantry, rather medium
    Armenian infantry- regional infantry, rather heavy
    Sughdian warrior - regional infantry, rather heavy

naddum's Avatar Libertus

Wuzurgan and Washpuhragan??
    Come on man, can you imagine a unit mixed up with Mihrans and Sasanians and Karens and Ispabhudhans and Kanarangiyan?
    Most dysfunctional unit ever, amirite
    Imagine Bahram Chobin fighting in the same unit as Hormozd. Not as commanders of their own smaller private armies, but as individual warriors in a unit.

For 16-20 units, I would recommend the following core units, in addition to any AORs eg: Sogdians, Hephthalites, Gandharans, Indians, etc.

Cavalry
    - Pushtigban
    - Aswaran-i-tanurig (maille+cuirass, lance+sword)
    - Kamandar-i-tanurig (maille+cuirass, mounted archers, bow+sword)
    - Aswaran-i-zrehposh (maille only, or with textile over it)
    - Aswaran-i-dihgan (maille only, slightly worse stats than the zrehposh or different weapons)
    - Aswaran-i-kamandar (mounted archers, light cavalry)
    - Aswaran-i-nezag (mounted javelins, light cavalry)
    - Pilban (elephants)

Infantry
    - Shkoh paygan - levy peasants
    - Payahdag nezagan - basic spearmen with javelins
    - Kamandaran-i-payahdag - basic archers
    - Kamandaran-i-zrehposh - armoured archers capable in melee
    - Tanurig payahdag - armoured infantry with bow and sword
    - Pahikafishn payahdagan - armoured assault infantry armed with two handed swords and two handed axes, no missile capability
    - Kamandaran-i-shahig - royal archers, with good melee and missile capabilities.

AORs -

Gandhara / Kashmir should be heavy on capable, light and heavy infantry. There is a ton of evidence for Gandharan arms and armour so this should not be a challenge. This region should have capable mounted archers and heavy cavalry as well that have different appearances.

Sindh should provide some of the Indian style units equipped as per Ajanta, with more infantry and especially powerful foot archers, with more powerful elephantry as well. There should be capable charge cavalry and javelin cavalry but weak mounted archers.

Central Asia should provide mounted archers and heavy cavalry that is better than native Iranian units, but be poor on infantry. Again, follow the Gandharan style of arms and armour this early. I am not sure how far east the map goes but if it extends as far as Usrushana, Chach, Semirechye, and Khotan, these warriors can be equipped in a more Sogdian / Khotanese fashion

Armenia should provide capable cavalry and infantry.

Arabia should provide light cavalry, mailled cavalry, camel mounted warriors, and light infantry. Archers with longbows.

Deylam should obviously provide excellent infantry armed with javelins, spears, swords, axes.

I believe the distinction between Vaspuragan and Vuzurgan shows well the feudal structure of Eransahr. For example, Karen Asavaran (-> Wuzurgan) and Kushansahr Asasavaran (-> Vaspuragan), both are separate distinctive units. Due the limited unit number Rio is up to give the Sassanian faction, it might simply be the name of rank the noble group had in society.
    Vuzurgan units could only be recruited in regions wherein Vaspuragan could not be recruited (and vis versa).

Your unit distinction toward the equipment is very interesting, either.

BTW in which time era is IB2 going to play?

naddum's Avatar Libertus

IB1 tried that layout - with a different cavalry unit for each of the noble houses. To be honest it didn't really work IMHO - too many units were too similar with little more than aesthetic differences.

The Kushano-Sasanian units IMHO should be AOR.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Gaiten the start date would be the middle of the fifth century AD. We are still undecided about the start date.

Cheers

Never forget the feudal retinues were only one aspect of the army, there were foederati, tribal levies recruited inside of the Eransahr, mercenaries. These all made the fascinating mix the Sassanian Spah was.

Quote Originally Posted by naddum View Post
    Wuzurgan and Washpuhragan??
    Come on man, can you imagine a unit mixed up with Mihrans and Sasanians and Karens and Ispabhudhans and Kanarangiyan?
    Most dysfunctional unit ever, amirite
    Imagine Bahram Chobin fighting in the same unit as Hormozd. Not as commanders of their own smaller private armies, but as individual warriors in a unit.

For 16-20 units, I would recommend the following core units, in addition to any AORs eg: Sogdians, Hephthalites, Gandharans, Indians, etc.

Cavalry
    - Pushtigban
    - Aswaran-i-tanurig (maille+cuirass, lance+sword)
    - Kamandar-i-tanurig (maille+cuirass, mounted archers, bow+sword)
    - Aswaran-i-zrehposh (maille only, or with textile over it)
    - Aswaran-i-dihgan (maille only, slightly worse stats than the zrehposh or different weapons)
    - Aswaran-i-kamandar (mounted archers, light cavalry)
    - Aswaran-i-nezag (mounted javelins, light cavalry)
    - Pilban (elephants)

Infantry
    - Shkoh paygan - levy peasants
    - Payahdag nezagan - basic spearmen with javelins
    - Kamandaran-i-payahdag - basic archers
    - Kamandaran-i-zrehposh - armoured archers capable in melee
    - Tanurig payahdag - armoured infantry with bow and sword
    - Pahikafishn payahdagan - armoured assault infantry armed with two handed swords and two handed axes, no missile capability
    - Kamandaran-i-shahig - royal archers, with good melee and missile capabilities.

AORs -

Gandhara / Kashmir should be heavy on capable, light and heavy infantry. There is a ton of evidence for Gandharan arms and armour so this should not be a challenge. This region should have capable mounted archers and heavy cavalry as well that have different appearances.

Sindh should provide some of the Indian style units equipped as per Ajanta, with more infantry and especially powerful foot archers, with more powerful elephant as well. There should be capable charge cavalry and javelin cavalry but weak mounted archers.

Central Asia should provide mounted archers and heavy cavalry that is better than native Iranian units, but be poor on infantry. Again, follow the Gandharan style of arms and armour this early. I am not sure how far east the map goes but if it extends as far as Usrushana, Chach, Semirechye, and Khotan, these warriors can be equipped in a more Sogdian / Khotanese fashion

Armenia should provide capable cavalry and infantry.

Arabia should provide light cavalry, mailed cavalry, camel mounted warriors, and light infantry. Archers with longbows.

Deylam should obviously provide excellent infantry armed with javelins, spears, swords, axes.

Your infantry have too many missile options, but what i've found is that such missile function wasn't available in the Roman historical record nor the Arab record.

For example: Payahdag nezagan capable of hurling javelin and fought with spear sounds too Roman than Persian did.

Example 2: Tanurig payahdag, a hybrid unit capable of archery and swordsmanship. Your translation sounds very, very English than Middle Persian plus a hybrid like this shouldn't appear in the roster because it's a waste of resources to raise a hybrid army who are unable to capture fortified position by force while having issue on missile support. By the way, if i have armored archers and royal archers why do i need these armoed infantry(archer?)?

And again the so called two-handed sword or axe shock infantry, where's the solid evidence anyway? show us some article about these weapons or would you kindly draw us a rough sketch about these weapons so that we can evaluate it's function. Plus i think i would like to see a report about these "Wonder Weapon's" service record.

Plus Pilban should called Pilbanan.

Arab vassal's mailed cavalrymen was in fact Iranian cavalry not Arabs! Only a few of them are Arabs but they the King or General's retinue.

Actually javelin armed cavalry could defeat Elephants and they should have more punch than mounted archer.

In the end, you wish to make Iransahr a nation of archers and IMO its the worst thing to do.

And the peasant levies, actually they are unnecessary at all!
    Last edited by The Crooked Philosopher; November 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM.

From my research, Sassanid army do not recruit people who are not Zoroastrians to fill the ranks, which means in ordinary times only Iranian can join the army whether he is a peasant or a noble because Iranian believe an army should made up by people who share a common culture especially religion. Which means Sassanid army (do not include foreigners) was 100% Zoroastrian.