Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Sassanids Unit Preview WIP

Default Re: Sassanids Unit Preview WIP

So, that means you have nothing to back your theory of two-handed sword as a common weapon for infantry.

I've read the article and i think i've seen someone made such armor: a hybrid armor that looks similar to Dura Europos Graffito

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rus_Yushman.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	316905

Is it similar?

Quote Originally Posted by The Crooked Philosopher View Post
    Yes.

But don't you want to know where those knowledge come from? If he could post some articles here ....
    Yes off course but keep information constructive, non personal and on topic. Constructive debate is healthy and welcomed on the forums but I don't want this discussion digressing into a personal argument. Just please be aware of this.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

naddum's Avatar Libertus

Of course I have evidence, it is in Khorasani's book as I listed before. BTW, I never said common - in fact I specified that these warriors with two handed swords should be an elite crack troop.

The armour you showed seems more like poorly constructed 17th C Indo-Iranian maille and plate, to be honest. Here is my reconstruction, using maille and the lamellar plates found at Old Nisa / Toglok Tepe. Ignore the spaulders and helmet - the set is being used in a slightly different context here, so just focus on the abdomen armour

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...R/P5170241.jpg

BTW, here is a set of leg armour I completed on Sunday (only one leg shown)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...88927611_n.jpg

More images:

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/nad...%20R%20and%20R
    Eran ud Turan - recreating the Iranian, Indian, and Central Asian worlds of late antiquity:
    https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Very nice armor naddum, so are you planning to ride a stead too, you will be a perfect Sassanian noble dressed that way.

Cheers

I am curious Naddum.

Why don't you suggest bow + mace heavy cavalry instead of suggesting bow + sword cavalry unit?

Since a mace have more armor piercing ability than a sword, why don't you suggest mace as secondary weapon?

I am not a Sassanian expert, but I have some taught. Heavy cavalry men would have been wasted firing arrows from afar, Heavy armored horses with a full armored rider would get exhausted quickly, that's would have been a good part of the light cavalry tactical maneuvering. Heavy cavalry would than charge the wounded, depleted and tired units of enemy infantry, lance down galloping full armored horse and rider. Then they would smash into the line sending men screaming. They would discharge their lances and take out their hand weapons, swords, maces and axes maybe. It would have been the warrior choice what hand weapon to equip himself with.

Cheers

naddum's Avatar Libertus

Reno, I use a horse at some events but have yet t construct period horse kit.

philosopher, tactically there is little difference between sword, axe, and mace, although the sword is a little different on a personal scale. Note, I say tactically, not on a personal basis. The M2 engine allows us to mix so a unit could feature all three.

heavy cavalry would typically shoot while stationary or at a walk while approaching, then charge with a lance. Of course they could be used as mobile mounted archers but the armour would tire them if used in that fashion. Charging cavalry are typically shown with a bow carried in a C shaped case, unstrung.
    Eran ud Turan - recreating the Iranian, Indian, and Central Asian worlds of late antiquity:

So Naddun, do you think Heavy Sassanid Cavalry would have shot arrows while charging at their target.

Cheers

naddum's Avatar Libertus

Only at a walk or stationary, not during the actual charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall of France View Post
    Dead mod.
    Definitely not a dead mod. They are diligently working on it and have made some great progress.

Quote Originally Posted by naddum View Post
    Reno, I use a horse at some events but have yet t construct period horse kit.

philosopher, tactically there is little difference between sword, axe, and mace, although the sword is a little different on a personal scale. Note, I say tactically, not on a personal basis. The M2 engine allows us to mix so a unit could feature all three.

heavy cavalry would typically shoot while stationary or at a walk while approaching, then charge with a lance. Of course they could be used as mobile mounted archers but the armour would tire them if used in that fashion. Charging cavalry are typically shown with a bow carried in a C shaped case, unstrung.
    Really, as far as i know Medieval 2 engine DO NOT support three arms! That means you have two choices after all.

naddum's Avatar Libertus

No, what I mean is individual warriors within the unit can be equipped differently, albeit still with 2 arms.
    Correct me if I'm way off with this, but I swear I have seen this sort of setup in games like Broken Crescent where some warriors in a unit would have axes, others sabres, other swords, etc

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I should mention that the Strategikon does detail Sassanid Warfare quite vividly...

No, what I mean is individual warriors within the unit can be equipped differently, albeit still with 2 arms.
    Correct me if I'm way off with this, but I swear I have seen this sort of setup in games like Broken Crescent where some warriors in a unit would have axes, others sabres, other swords, etc
    In my opinon, two arms option are the only best choice instead of arming them differently just to make it accurately.

By the way, i see no such setting in BC.

http://totalwar.honga.net/faction.php?v=bc2
    Last edited by The Crooked Philosopher; November 15, 2014 at 04:59 PM.

You can do units with both swords and maces as primary weapons, but it's just cosmetic: both will act the same.

naddum's Avatar Libertus

Yayattasa, yes, that's what I meant. This will look better and be more accurate also.

Yayattasa, yes, that's what I meant. This will look better and be more accurate also.
    Accuracy? do we need 2000% of accuracy? Aesthetic? we need no such settings! All we need is more unit recruitment choices.

As far as i know maces are more practical than sword on beating armor so 100% mace as melee weapon settings are better than messing it with sword and other melee weapon.
    Last edited by The Crooked Philosopher; November 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM.

So, i have a question.

Did the Sassanid use war servant or war slave in battle?

naddum's Avatar Libertus

Do you mean, like a page? An attendant who would help the knight get armoured up, equip him on the field, hold banners and parasols and such?
    If so, yes - we see such figures on rock reliefs from Naqsh-e-Rostam. I haven't read the full text of Khosrow-i-Kabadan ud Redag but there may be some clues in there also.

On the maces/swords/axes thing - I've made my case for mixing troops as the M2 engine allows. I am generally a proponent of fairly minimalistic unit rosters in general, especially where we have limited evidence. I'll let the mod creators decide whether or not to implement.

No, war slaves served as guards and shock troops for Princes and Grandees, Although Iranian laws ban slaves fighting on horseback but fighting on foot is completely legal.