Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rome2 vs RSII - Where are we?

Ye Olde Fahrt's Avatar Miles

Default Rome2 vs RSII - Where are we?

My apologies for posting this here, but I really don't want to start a flame war, and I think what we've got in this forum are a bunch of mature players who've been around for a while. So I thought I'd ask this here. Mods please move / remove if necessary.

Anyway, I just opened up my Steam account and realised I've last played Rome2 in late May this year. A whopping 11 hours clocked. Rather than anything else I realise it is about my personal opinions and preferences. As an old fart, I am entitled to them right.

So here's the question. A honest question. How's Rome2 nowadays, compared to playing RSII (RTR/bi exe)? Are the battles now more tactical, can I hold my legions in perfect line, in guard mode (or similar), and order them release their pila on the avenging barbarians, then have them move to a shield wall.

While it is a new game, I fully appreciate things are different. But at the time R2 was released I certainly did not expect a mob vs mob albeit with beautiful graphics experience. Now I realise there's been a good few patches added since May, so maybe things are different.

So again, can I enjoy R2 now better with tactics I am so happy with RSII? Is it a better tactical experience? Or is it still two mobs with magical abilities?

I know I could just fire her up and see myself, but I sort of don't want to... Much happier with my scarce playing time spending it with RS II or other old favorites of mine.

Again, I don't intend to start a flame war, my opinions are those that I felt at the time when R2 was a fresh new game, and I fully realise things must be better with the plethora of patches applied. So I am really hoping to hear some encouraging words to try her again, rather than learning it is and remains as it was.

There's a new free DLC campaign coming up, hence I am ever hopeful it would be worth the effort. TIA! (Goes back to his 1-turn Carthagenian campaign).
    My garden may be smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum. - Roma Surrectum III

Default Re: Rome2 vs RSII - Where are we?

Investments in gaming hardware are way, way, way down on my priority list. RS2 is the fanciest game I play, by far. It never entered my mind that I would ever play Rome 2 for a moment. I'm glad it turned out to have virtually no value as a wargame, and a community is keeping with something that I will actually play.

I hope we can stay with Rome 1 for a while. The ratio of man-hours needed to produce results in a fancier engine just doesn't seem worth it to me. Rome 1 seems to be at a sweet spot.

I tried R2 a bit more after Patch 14 (and had dabbled earlier), but have now even turned off Steam from starting (it does seem to cause my PC issues) - which may give you a clue.

I've even been persuaded by buddies to return to EVE, which is distracting....

In short - no - the tactical battles in R2 (apart from the first few openers and an occasional hard-fought siege defence with few good troops) become meaningless rapidly. It doesn't even matter which faction you play - they might as well all be the same once you have a more developed army.

The sad thing is that the expanded number of factions, the larger map and the entirely revised and more meaningful diplomacy make the campaign level really quite a pleasure. But the real point of the TW (especially to me the RTW set - and as seen on 'Time Commanders' (UK name - and would be rubbish with the R2 engine)) is that it is a computer presentation of the table-top battles of yore - that equally 'Olde Farts' like me - enjoy tremendously (and RSII's graphics work on units makes a joy).

So, if I could marry RSII-level tactical battles (with potentially upgraded modernised, but similar, graphics) with R2 campaign level (and I'd even accept the Province system, for I understand why) - then I would be in hog heaven.

But 'proper' tactical and realistic battles that take a reasonable amount of time to fight (around 30mins) - are of no interest to 95%+ of modern gamers; and that's where the profit is.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Domesticus

I recently reinstalled steam and R2 and my reaction from it was the same as it was months ago. I just don't connect with the game. When compared to RSII2, even it being a mod from a much older game, still is better in my eyes.

There's several things from R2 that i don't like, but right now the lack of a connection with any of my characters really turns me off.

Thanks for your answers gentlemen. I guess RSII it is and will be for old farts like me then. At least for a while yet. I really echo your sentiments ur-Lord as why I have an issue with R2. I want my 30 minute battles!
    My garden may be smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum. - Roma Surrectum III

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

To me Rome II feels totally empty, 'artificial' and unrealistic - and I'm not even talking about the battles....the campaign is the biggest problem, total rubbish. Very few cities, no resources on the map, only 4-5 building slots per city, rubbish AI (Carthage rarely surviving the first ten years), rubbish diplomacy and above all, the campaign is just boring after 2-3 hours of play, there is no depth, no challenge, no realism and no common sense from the AI.

The battles on the other hand are actually quite good now with two mods from the hosted modifications page. They are somewhat in the shadow of the more popular mods, but they are the best imo. They've done a great job on the battles, it's like 500% improvement over vanilla. The campaign on the other hand is unfixable imo.....

It has gotten a little better.

I say 2 steps forward but compared to the 500 steps taken backwards in the first place, it is not much of a difference.
    CA really had an opportunity to make the game the most epic ever but came short because they catered to the casual gamers which is FINE and all but us HARD COREs need more.

And no worries you posted this in the correct forum...
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
    To me Rome II feels totally empty, 'artificial' and unrealistic - and I'm not even talking about the battles....the campaign is the biggest problem, total rubbish. Very few cities, no resources on the map, only 4-5 building slots per city, rubbish AI (Carthage rarely surviving the first ten years), rubbish diplomacy and above all, the campaign is just boring after 2-3 hours of play, there is no depth, no challenge, no realism and no common sense from the AI.

The battles on the other hand are actually quite good now with two mods from the hosted modifications page. They are somewhat in the shadow of the more popular mods, but they are the best imo. They've done a great job on the battles, it's like 500% improvement over vanilla. The campaign on the other hand is unfixable imo.....
    I am curious... Which modes are you talking about?

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

He might be referring to the close combat mod which I use, it certainly makes battles better.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

It seems all the Rome II dlcs are on sale this weekend at -75%, so ever the hopeful, I bought Hannibal and Caesar campaigns together with the Blood and Gore pack, all this for some 8,50 euros. I actually tried a quick battle earlier today, it left me hugely unimpressed as all was lost in five minutes. Then again, no mods in place, and I allowed myself to be caught out while still somewhat in maneuvering to higher ground.

I don't expect to ever have the enjoyment that I get from RS II, but maybe just maybe I can at least play a battle on it every now and then

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    He might be referring to the close combat mod which I use, it certainly makes battles better.
    Details, he needs details! Which mods are you using? In the spirit of my opening post, I am looking at anything that would make it possible to at least have something similar to RSII.

In Rome 2, you can how fire javelins at will, without needing to charge first.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Tiro

Have tried R2 for one day... Do you need any expalnations why I'm back in RS forum? ;D

Btw, I was quite a time away from RSII -- what about upcoming updates? I've seen RS team is working on them, but probably no hope too see them anytime soon?

„There can be greater mods than Roma Surrectum 2, but simply there are none!“, Zydrius

Domesticus

All there is to be done now is to wait for the Diadochi folks to finish (or shall i say introduce) those awesome sounding changes.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MacBlain View Post
    Investments in gaming hardware are way, way, way down on my priority list. RS2 is the fanciest game I play, by far. It never entered my mind that I would ever play Rome 2 for a moment. I'm glad it turned out to have virtually no value as a wargame, and a community is keeping with something that I will actually play.

I hope we can stay with Rome 1 for a while. The ratio of man-hours needed to produce results in a fancier engine just doesn't seem worth it to me. Rome 1 seems to be at a sweet spot.
    I totally agree: Rome 1 was produced in a sweet spot, and that's not so easy to reproduce. It would have helped if CA had taken the moves from there, and their effort wouldn't have been completely useless, if the new product was as moddable as the first one. But that's not a priority for the modern gaming industry. In fact, if people after ten years still play the same game that's not a good thing for maximizing your profits. That's why I don't believe that they'll ever provide us a better machine than RTW. So let's enjoy the mods!
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

With curiosity - and as a potential update given I've just re-logged back into Steam after nearly 2 months and updated to the Emperor Edition.....

Does anyone have any comment(s) on the changes - has it really gotten better? I might try it a little to see.....
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Yes I'm interested to see whether it's actually worth buying Rome 2 now?

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast