Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20 Stacks are not enough

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Default Re: 20 Stacks are not enough

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    Then why have extra units at all? Just increase the unit strength from where it is. Problem solved. You and others are over complicating the issue. The issue, as presented by the OP, is an issue of scale. 40 units per army presents, as you have just shown, a management issue for the player. Its difficult to keep up with 20 individual units, let alone 30 or 40. Merely increase the unit strength allowing for the exact fix people want (larger scale) and you can avoid all the nonsense about controlling 40 units, or UI taking up too much space etc. etc.
    Allowing you to merge units rather then grouping them means that an army of 40 units can be managed as well as an army of 20 units but on top of that your not limiting yourself to just 20 units you can if you wish create an army of 40 units , 30 units or even 25 units from an army of 40 units whereas simply increasing the number of soldiers in a unit means you still stuck with 20 units.

Its more flexible and allows in my opinion for superior battlefield tactics, you may want to merge 2 units of 200 men and hold a section of a wall but you may not want to send 400 men up the same ladder.

Overall what I am suggesting is that while 40 units per army could be a nightmare to manage there are means to solve the problem which could also enhance the game play.
    Last edited by Modestus; September 15, 2014 at 11:09 AM.

Epic28's Avatar Senator

30 is the sweet spot. 20 units doesn't allow for enough unit diversity amongst armies.

My issue with 40 units is not that it is too much to control, but that Rome 2 is poorly optimized to handle it. The battle maps are not big enough for 40 units and the UI is awful when that many cards are stacked together. Therefore 30 is a solid compromise between the two.

Either way it is extremely easy to achieve in all your games. See my sig for link.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

*duplicate*

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

I'd like to see at least 30 going forward, or an increase in unit scale so that we can field a maximum of 4k-6k soldiers in a single legion. The current limit is about 3k if you field nothing but infantry (vanilla cavalry and artillery typically field 80 and 40 units respectively).

40VS40 is too much for my computer with rome 2, atleast was in patch 9 or so.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Talking about pcs exploding, is there a pc that can handle 10000 men in a city on FULL ULTRA SETTINGS without stutter? I made a new pc (not that high a spec but better than my AMD) with even a `Haswell` chip and I still get stutter even on regular numbers. And heaven forbid you put on extra settings like that better foliage effect, distortion, etc. Every other modern game I have with this custom pc feels like overkill.

I remember in the days of MTW1 people expecting that by 2014 we'd have twice the number of men running smoothely on our pcs... Not so.
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; September 15, 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Twenty slots seems enough to field a proper Roman legion with ten cohorts and supporting units.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Too much lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    Twenty slots seems enough to field a proper Roman legion with ten cohorts and supporting units.
    20 slots aren't be enough for a proper manipular legion, but I understand there would be technical limitations to fully fleshing that out. Otherwise, we'd need 20 maniples each for hastati and princepes, another 20 half maniples for triarii, then how many additional units of socii and velites.

20, 40, 80, it makes no difference. It's all in how you manage them.

Sun Tsu.

I believe him. Pity the game would run into a slide show though.

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Talking about pcs exploding, is there a pc that can handle 10000 men in a city on FULL ULTRA SETTINGS without stutter? I made a new pc (not that high a spec but better than my AMD) with even a `Haswell` chip and I still get stutter even on regular numbers. And heaven forbid you put on extra settings like that better foliage effect, distortion, etc. Every other modern game I have with this custom pc feels like overkill.

I remember in the days of MTW1 people expecting that by 2014 we'd have twice the number of men running smoothely on our pcs... Not so.
    I had battle of 8000 enemy vs my 4000 in shogun2 with no real problem, i dont see your point half the time.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart11 View Post
    I had battle of 8000 enemy vs my 4000 in shogun2 with no real problem, i dont see your point half the time.
    I regularly fight battles with 15k plus on Rome 2 and Shogun 2 with little slowdown. What's the deal?

Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about Rome 2. I think you're in the wrong part of the forum.

Stainless Steel mod for M2 had a nice system of bringing additional armies either under AI control or a very limited UI basically only allowed you to point where you wanted the extra armies to move. Still was a nice way for huge armies. I would sometimes have cavalry only armies run this way, just point in the middle of enemy and watch the horsey tornado do their thing!

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post
    If CA can manage to properly implement something like a chain of command, ie allowing you to give command of, say, one flank of your army to an AI commander (armies through out history usually had multiple commanders unlike what Rome 2 would have us believe), then sure, by all means, give me a hundred units per army.
    Hmm, you can give the AI a group and then give it instructions, can't you? Or are you saying that this ability is currently rubbish (I've never tried it)?

I played modded with 36. It was a lot of fun. Only bad battles were combined land/naval battles due to landings.

I will make this simple, I do not think 20 stacks are enough to compose a proper army!. You always have to suffer for the 20 limit, I cannot see why this cant be adjusted or modded easily. I mean what would be the big deal to have 40 stacks, I think 40 unit slots should be in Total war by now and you could have proper size armies and not feel so restricted.

How do you feel about this?, do you agree?.
    But what about the fact that more than 20 units will lead to the entire screen being filled by unit cards?

Can someone explain how can I edit a savegame in order to have a 30 or 40 stack armies ?
    Thanks you.

But what about the fact that more than 20 units will lead to the entire screen being filled by unit cards?
    I play with a lot of unit's groupes, and so I don't need to show the unit cards UI.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123