Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Armour-variation within a unit: A critique

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Default Armour-variation within a unit: A critique

I played EB2 for 42 hours now and currently i am playing a pretty fun campaign with Carthage. I also played many custom battles with every faction and almost every unit. I noticed a thing that bugs me and it has not anything to do with gameplay but design choices. I already posted it around a week ago, but i want to repost it again just for the case, that no one of the team read it:

So i want to talk about armour-variations within a unit. The first time i recognized something weird was when i choosed the Indian lancers. I was pretty excited to see this heavy, unpreviewed cavalry unit. So i selceted them, started a battle and was pretty dissapointed. The first i saw was a soldier in thin clothing and without any helmet.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

After some seconds i finally found one guy with scale armour, but in the whole unit there were maybe five guys with scalearmour and two of them weared a helmet. While i could live with some units wearing a helmet while other wearing a turban or a hair-knot, the variations between the armours are to crass. The Indian lancers are supposed to be a heavy cavarly of the highest of all Indian castres. And if a unit is supposed to be heavy, you shouldnt mix up heavy armour with thin all day clothing.

An other example are the batairoi, the Celtic combatants. Just compare these both:

Some are heavy armoured, wearing a linothorax and a bronce helmet, while other are almost naked, only wearing a pant. Of course, historical this happened that some Cetls wearing barchested while others are armoured, but in Total War you have to be able to classify a unit. Is it light, medium or heavy? While mixing so much, you are no more able to. You look at their stats, seeing 3 armour, which is to low for a heavy armoured warrior as you can see him in the left picture, but to high for the naked guy to the right.

There are many units which mix up different classes of armour, not only the two examples above. I just want to mention the "light" Illyrian cavalry. Their unit card shows a rider wearing a heavy bronce breastplate (!) and a helmet, but on the battlefield only a few wear this heavy kind of armour, while the most others are actual "light" cavalry.

Of course, there are also units which fit exclusively one category of heaviness of the armour (Light/medium/heavy). Examples are most skirmishers and eg. The Parthian cataphracts, the royal kinsmen cavalry or the Median cavalry:

My conclusion is, that every soldier within a unit should wear an armour of the same class of heaviness like his colleagues wear. Mixing scalearmour, a linothorax and maybe a bronce breastplate (An iron one would be to much imo) as the Baktrian cavalry wear them seems plausible to me, as these armours roughly offer the same value of protection. It would be cool if a dev could write something to this.

GG

Default Re: Armour-variation within a unit: A critique

Every one of these units passed through historical and archaeological review. The guys with the degrees feel the mix of armor and helmets and tunics and bare skin is appropriate for an era in which there was very little standardization. Not true in all cases, of course. Which is why you'll find more similarities, among, for example, the Polybians. We are trying to display units as they were (or at least as best we can infer), not by similarity of equipment within a given unit class.
    EBII Council

clone's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Every one of these units passed through historical and archaeological review. The guys with the degrees feel the mix of armor and helmets and tunics and bare skin is appropriate for an era in which there was very little standardization. Not true in all cases, of course. Which is why you'll find more similarities, among, for example, the Polybians. We are trying to display units as they were (or at least as best we can infer), not by similarity of equipment within a given unit class.
    you said it your self. mix of armor and helmets. when one soldier in a unit has heavy armor and the soldier next to him is naked i dont thing this is "mix" of armor
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

Senator

The Indian lancers are supposed to be a heavy cavarly of the highest of all Indian castres.
    After reading the unit description?No....they aren't.They are even called medium cav...
    Some are heavy armoured, wearing a linothorax and a bronce helmet, while other are almost naked, only wearing a pant. Of course, historical this happened that some Cetls wearing barchested while others are armoured, but in Total War you have to be able to classify a unit. Is it light, medium or heavy? While mixing so much, you are no more able to. You look at their stats, seeing 3 armour, which is to low for a heavy armoured warrior as you can see him in the left picture, but to high for the naked guy to the right.
    It is an average number using the average armor quality.It''s not perfect ....but not that hard to figure out.

you said it your self. mix of armor and helmets. when one soldier in a unit has heavy armor and the soldier next to him is naked i dont thing this is "mix" of armor
    Read....his post again....Is that so hard:
    the mix of armor and helmets and tunics and bare skin
    Last edited by Sint; September 12, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    If you are going to quote me, quote ALL of it:

the mix of armor and helmets and tunics and bare skin
    EBII Council

Campidoctor
    Civitate

After reading the unit description?No....they aren't.They are even called medium cav...
    And how often does this descriptions says, that they are wearing helmets and armour? It says that they are the heaviest cavalry that the Mauryans can afford. And the heaviest armour they weared was ...? Right, scalearmour and helmets, not this thin clothing like every bowmen wears.

Anyways, i expected that kind of answer from a dev. Still feels wrong then units, supposed to be heavy or medium, wear thin or no clothing at all.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; September 12, 2014 at 04:56 PM.

If you are going to quote me, quote ALL of it:
    i wonder how can two soldiers who bellong to the same unit and take the same money as salary one is
    armed to the teath and the other is naked with only a weapon and shield .specially when we are talking about veteran and nobility troops
    Last edited by clone; September 12, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    And how often does this descriptions says, that they are wearing helmets and armour? It says that they are the heaviest cavalry that the Mauryans can afford. And the heaviest armour they weared was ...? Right, scalearmour and helmets, not this thin clothing like every bowmen wears.

Anyways, i expected that kind of answer from a dev. Still feels wrong then units, supposed to be heavy or medium, wear thin or no clothing at all.
    The problem is that M2TW doesn't have categories like "some guys heavily armored and some not". The whole purpose of "heavy" or "medium" is to assist the BAI (and to some extent the human player) in using them properly in combat. But once you are IN combat, they mean nothing. We could give titanium armor at +100 to all guys in a unit, call them "light", and that would have zero impact on their effectiveness. Likewise, the game does not have the level of detail to distinguish the skin guy from the armored guy in the same unit. Each one will have defense and hit points as assigned to the unit as a whole. It's just how the game works.

Oh, and thanks for the gratuitous insult. Delivered to somebody who isn't paid to do this, but still took time out of his busy day to explain the working of the team's decision process.
    EBII Council

i wonder where your guys with the degrees saw the mix of armor and helmets and tunics and bare skin
    or at least i have some questions
    1 how can two soldiers who bellong to the same unit and take the same money as salary one is
    armed to the teath and the other is naked with only a weapon and shield .specially when we are talking about veteran and nobility troops
    2 even if it is accurate ,accurate would be inside the unit
    to exist variations like spear and swords or melee weapons and ranged weapons toggether in a unit
    Lol... "soldier", "unit", "salary"...

And you expect a serious answer on that troll post?

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    Lol... "soldier", "unit", "salary"...

And you expect a serious answer on that troll post?
    i am not trolling. the dev used historical accuracy as an argument about this matter.i know that there was not standarazation at that time but not so much (mix of very heavy armor and no armor) specialy when we are talking about veteran and elite troops.in total war units are standarized by default regardless of time or age. if you recruit epilektoi hoplitai,thats what you take
    if there was a modern age total war(yeah i know different times but the logic is the same) with the same logic in the same unit one soldier would have a modern assualt gun and the next a pistol

"the game does not have the level of detail to distinguish the skin guy from the armored guy in the same unit. Each one will have defense and hit points as assigned to the unit as a whole. It's just how the game works."
    that why i am againt this mixing armor with no armor even if it is accurate.
    Last edited by clone; September 12, 2014 at 05:27 PM.
    Robert E. Howard

If it is historical that these types of soldiers would have such a degree of variation -- from significant armor to little clothing even among nobility -- then I don't really see a problem with it. Though it may be weird to internalize that this shirtless dude on the battlefield has +whatever armor. What we're being asked is to 1) think tactically based on the unit's overall stats, not the visuals and 2) understand that the visuals are meant to resemble the troops, not determine their stats individually.

I am guessing for units that were more professional standing army units with standard issue equipment, you would see much less variation.

i am not trolling.
    At this point, you ARE trolling. We explained why units look as they do and went further to point out that it doesn't have an impact on battle results, because the M2TW engine applies top level stat results to the individuals regardless of differences in appearance (those differences ARE factored into the overall numbers, however).

Nevertheless you don't like our decisions. So fine. Why are you posting? Go create your own game.
    EBII Council

At this point, you ARE trolling. We explained why units look as they do and went further to point out that it doesn't have an impact on battle results, because the M2TW engine applies top level stat results to the individuals regardless of differences in appearance
    thats one of the reasons that i thing having a mix of armor and no armor (mix of varius armors is not much a problem)in the same units is a bad idea regardless if it is accurate.
    but of course this is your game!!!!!
    edit: there is no need to be rude of course
    Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by alex86 View Post
    If it is historical that these types of soldiers would have such a degree of variation -- from significant armor to little clothing even among nobility -- then I don't really see a problem with it. Though it may be weird to internalize that this shirtless dude on the battlefield has +whatever armor. What we're being asked is to 1) think tactically based on the unit's overall stats, not the visuals and 2) understand that the visuals are meant to resemble the troops, not determine their stats individually.

I am guessing for units that were more professional standing army units with standard issue equipment, you would see much less variation.
    Keep in mind, there aren't many instances where one has actual pictorials of entire ancient "units" in action. And even the descriptions of historians often don't provide the level of detail one would like. So in most cases we take specific examples of armor or clothing known to be used by a particular culture/faction in this time period and extrapolate it's use among the individual members of something we have to call a unit, because the game engine requires us to do so. We can absolutely demonstrate the archaeology or history behind the types of weapons and armor and helmets and clothing worn by the individuals in each "unit". Especially for the less documented factions it can be a struggle, but we never guess and the composition of every individual in every unit can be defended. They wouldn't have been created otherwise. Building a unit in EB2 can take YEARS, and often approaches the level of detail and proof required for a doctoral dissertation.
    EBII Council

Good response, thanks for being thorough!

I agree with OP. Sure its historically accurate what EB team did but if you want complete historical accuracy then you should group soldiers with different weapons into one unit because that's how they fought in real life.
    What CA did with Total war series from the beginning was to group soldiers with one type of weapon and armour into one unit to distinguish them from soldiers with different weapon and armour. Straying from this formula is not fun at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobar View Post
    I agree with OP. Sure its historically accurate what EB team did but if you want complete historical accuracy then you should group soldiers with different weapons into one unit because that's how they fought in real life.
    What CA did with Total war series from the beginning was to group soldiers with one type of weapon and armour into one unit to distinguish them from soldiers with different weapon and armour. Straying from this formula is not fun at least for me.
    We are always ready to learn. Please provide your proof that ancient soldiers of this era fought in units comprised of individuals with similar levels and types of armor. Not pictures of Poybian Hastati or Phalangitai please. In EB2 those DO have similar types of equipment. I want to see the others - the ones where we feature variety. And you will provide evidence that they didn't - which should be easy based on the bolded part of your post. Surely you wouldn't make such a blanket statement without evidence?
    EBII Council

Arx's Avatar Laetus

Kull just wanna say you're one of my favorites

On a more serious note, I noticed some of my naked fanatics wearing pants, and I don't even have the modesty patch on. I assume that's a bug? Because I don't mind variety, but I tend to think of naked anything as being "naked", as opposed to "wearing pants".

I would like to know how "defense skill" is estimated. Certain units (like thureophoroi) seem to have higher defense skill to compensate for their lack of armor.

I am not a historian (but I do have an education), and, a fortiori​, I would expect units that specialize in melee combat to have better "defense skill" than jack-of-all-trades units.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast