Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Goldsworthy: Opinions

Comes Domesticorum

Default Adrian Goldsworthy: Opinions

So, to almost anyone who is looking for bookstore reads about ancient Rome, you've almost certainly come across many Adrian Goldsworthy books. I myself have picked a few of them up over the years and they always disappoint. As far as I know, he is not active in the academic field anymore but then again I haven't been looking that deeply into journals for a while now. In any case, he never seems to be arguing any sort of thesis that I can pull out, and is just reproducing a survey of the period he's examining, and this ultimately makes his books appear as though they're just a much longer repetition of things that have been said for a long time.

I made this thread because I saw that he just published a new book on Augustus (in time for the Emperor Edition of Rome II!), and while I want to read it just for the sake of reading it, I fear it's going to be as dull as Caesar was.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Adrian Goldsworthy: Opinions

I thought he becomes a novelist?

Overall it is not because his works are dull or anything, just rarely his works offer any new dimension regarding the subjects; but then, 75% of history books today are like that anyway.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; September 11, 2014 at 08:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    rarely his works offer any new dimension regarding the subjects; but then, 75% of history books today are like that anyway.
    This is all too sadly true. Whenever I look over the history section of a bookshop all I think is - do we really need another book about World War 2, is there a single aspect of that conflict that has not been covered? All too many Medieval books seem to focus on the Private Lives of King/Queen [Insert Name Here] (Yawn) without any substantial amount of modern literature on the broader Social context. A revival in quality historical literature is in desperate need. I am forced to look back to the 70's for the kind of books I am looking for in some cases. There are Gems here and there but they are all to rare.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

Comes Domesticorum

I thought he becomes a novelist?

Overall it is not because his works are dull or anything, just rarely his works offer any new dimension regarding the subjects; but then, 75% of history books today are like that anyway.
    Yeah, that's exactly how I'd put it, he doesn't add any new dimension to anything. And yes, he writes historical fiction based on the Napoleonic period, something like the Sharpe novels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleonic Bonapartism View Post
    This is all too sadly true. Whenever I look over the history section of a bookshop all I think is - do we really need another book about World War 2, is there a single aspect of that conflict that has not been covered? All too many Medieval books seem to focus on the Private Lives of King/Queen [Insert Name Here] (Yawn) without any substantial amount of modern literature on the broader Social context. A revival in quality historical literature is in desperate need. I am forced to look back to the 70's for the kind of books I am looking for in some cases. There are Gems here and there but they are all to rare.
    Once you've scratched the surface of historical writing, you really need to delve into academic writing most of the time to get anything decent. Visits to the bookstore for me are for subjects which I'm not familiar with, since I won't find anything that will help with subjects I'm already familiar with.

I only visit bookstore to grab novels and magazine this day; academic works can be found quicker in college library most time - assume the liberal art section of your college is big enough, of course.

It is worth to note that Goldsworthy's career is more a "popularist" style of historian, and he is rather young as a historian (only in his early 40s).
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; September 12, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Yeah - I suppose Academic works are the way to go, but my worry is they are not accessible for many - content wise I mean. Good History books in Shops would make it accessible to a wider audience, it would let people get past the whole 'History is what king did what to who when' facade. The more people with a deep interest in history the better I say, and tacky history books do not an interested public create.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

Personally, I'm a fan of Goldsworthy's books, but then again I read most of them on topics I had not been all too familiar with at the time (Caesar, Antony, The fall of the Roman Empire, etc.). I'll probably pick up Augustus at some point because I do enjoy his books.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleonic Bonapartism View Post
    Yeah - I suppose Academic works are the way to go, but my worry is they are not accessible for many - content wise I mean. Good History books in Shops would make it accessible to a wider audience, it would let people get past the whole 'History is what king did what to who when' facade. The more people with a deep interest in history the better I say, and tacky history books do not an interested public create.
    It would not sell, that is the issue.

Goldsworthy is "good" similar as the way how John Keegan is "good" (it is notable that Keegan was one of editors of Goldsworthy and gave him much praise) - both of them introduce history in a more public tone that most newbies can understand. Academic wise they are not very popular, although it is possible that, if what Paddy Griffith said was true, there is a general rejection of studying pure military history among British academic nowadays, and any historian who attempted that would be branded as "unprofessional" and be exiled from academic. Griffith claimed he knew several people got into this, perhaps including himself.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

When it comes to Late Roman History Peter Heather and Guy Halsall are better IMO, but there hasn't been a decent general summary of the Fall of Rome that incorporates all the important new research that's happened since 2008. Nothing from any of Hughes' books on the Roman Generalissimos, or McEvoy, let alone Hyun Jin Kim's new treatise on the Huns.

My book on the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains uses much of the latest research, but it's not an overall summary of the Fall of Rome (well... that depends on your perspective of the outcome of said battle...)

Goldsworthy is pretty good for general information on the Principate and Late Republican Armies. Don't trust him for Late Roman, he over-generalizes.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; September 12, 2014 at 06:01 PM.

The lack of a satisfied account regarding Fall of WRE has to do with lack of clear economy condition of WRE during its last 100 years - in fact, I never read a book giving a clear picture about the economy of Roman Empire, and even less about its tax system and how it was related with military.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The lack of a satisfied account regarding Fall of WRE has to do with lack of clear economy condition of WRE during its last 100 years - in fact, I never read a book giving a clear picture about the economy of Roman Empire, and even less about its tax system and how it was related with military.
    You have to read several books and a myriad of papers to understand that. I don't know if anyone's put together a complete analysis of the Late Roman Economy, most Roman Economic Analysis's end c.a. 235 AD.

Walter Goffart's Warfare in Late Antiquity: A Social History thoroughly explains the Annonaria and how the Roman Tax System of the Late Era Developed and affected the Military, including the beginning of the Aedoratio which although effective in the 4th century, led to the serious manpower shortages in the 5th century west.

Heather briefly tackles the importance of North Africa and the shift of major Agricultural centers in the late 3rd century in his The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History. He then continually mentions it throughout the book.

I'll search Academia.edu and see what I can find.

EDIT: https://www.academia.edu/Documents/in/Roman_Economy

Have at ye. 48 Pages of research papers.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; September 12, 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Popular historians make money cause most people are not looking for hard core history books which tells us every detail to the nth degree. So it makes sense that he would do that. Although I actually haven't read much of him, maybe one or two of his books.

What tends to bother me the most about Roman era historiography is how much things like the Crisis of the Third Century are overlooked. Most subjects after Marcus Aurelius are for some reason, with the exception being Constantine maybe.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

You have no idea how many ing books there are arguing the same about Constantine OVER and OVER and OVER...

Ian Hughes is great cause he takes all the details and particulars of his biographies of the Generalissimos (Stilico, Belisarius, Aetius, and soon Ricimer) and puts them in a way the general public can pick up, read, and enjoy. However, he isn't a well known author.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    You have no idea how many ing books there are arguing the same about Constantine OVER and OVER and OVER...
    That's essentially World War 2 history in a nut shell to say the least. Now it's just author piling up secondary source after secondary source on things that most people already know something about or could do much better getting the larger book from some decades ago. "Let's see how many times we can write about Stalingrad or Normandy and only add 1 or 2 sentences to the old narrative every year".
    The issue with these over generalized popular histories:
    1. There exists a market for them since not everyone is looking to buy terribly descriptive books on the matter. Many of them are college students or amateurs who just want to get a basic understanding, get a credit and then move on with their lives.

2. In depth studies have become horribly expensive. The other day I was looking through Brill's catalogue and their books cost a fortune! There are some extremely specific books on subjects 90% of readers don't care about and they sell for over $100 and unless you really want that (which an average consumer does not) who will buy them exactly? They are really hurting themselves for not trying a reasonable price.

3. The dumb consumer destroys our options. Writers see that they don't need to do lots of research and that the bigger books get largely ignored. So why even write new and interesting books if they're too large for an average reader? Just write some general histories and charge $20 - $30 dollars for them and they will eat them up.

4. And this is a really bad one, that most of the good material has already been taken or written decades ago. That is simply not true. In studying the sources or finding a new organizational method for your information that's just as good. Just because one author used a really important primary source doesn't mean you can't use the same source. There are tonnes of updated studies all the time. You don't even need to rely on the one source, you can definitely mix it up if the result makes sense. As if to disprove this bs that everything had been said or that there was nothing to add to the matter Michael Axeworthy published Nader Shah, it was the first book on this subject in decades. He used a wealth of sources and even poked holes in some of the primary ones by referring back and forth between primary sources and other well known secondary sources to make a new spin on it, even a whole new perspective or change of thought or a new source can greatly alter a book. So it isn't that books can't be written because the same sources can't be overused (or worse when the sources are actually overused and you get the same book by different authors printed dozens of times), it's just a really bad excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Ian Hughes is great cause he takes all the details and particulars of his biographies of the Generalissimos (Stilico, Belisarius, Aetius, and soon Ricimer) and puts them in a way the general public can pick up, read, and enjoy. However, he isn't a well known author.
    That sounds really cool and I should check it out. Generalizing topics are for college and high school students and it really bugs me in class.
    And you could totally hit me over the head for writing something so general on the early years of Marcus Antonius not too long ago but at least you can't pin copying Wikipedia on me. I'm ashamed that I couldn't make it any longer or continue the narrative onto his entire career. But my main goal was to elaborate on his career not his personal life and so I had to skip lots of it. Just from experience I assume many writers do the same thing for those reasons.
    Really though generalizing a topic isn't bad. What's bad is if that is the only thing you do. Not trying to bring a new perspective or actually elaborate on the parts that need it is definite no for a general history. I mean if I just want a basic narrative with no substance I can go on Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; September 13, 2014 at 06:24 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Spartan JKM's Avatar Semisalis

Great stuff! But, specifically, my friend Magister Militum Flavius Aetius, I do not agree that Adrian Goldsworthy overgeneralizes things - in that he gives us an incomplete, let alone superficial, account of the relevant backdrops (if that's what you intimated); I feel his style simply constitutes a cut-and-dry, more succinct method devoid of deep extrapolations which entail evidence less nebulous, obscure, or - in his mind - unnecessary (of course, this ancient history!). However, if he is all we had, our beloved topics here would be much less entertaining! The likes of John F. Lazenby and Peter Heather, etc., are far more conducive to elaborate study.

Ian Hughes
    is overall excellent, but somewhat by default, due to the lack of other, multiple works on Flavius Aetius and Belisarius. But he fumbles, IMHO, in his overall judgment of Belisarius as not one of the greatest generals of all time. Hughes' acceptance of the accounts of John Malalas and Zacharius of Mytilene over Procopius - in undermining Belisarius' generalship at the Battle of Callinicum - is purely arbitrary, and he overlooks that Procopius' concise and objective accounts (cf. Belisarius: The Last Roman General, p. 64, I find to be a misplaced verdict) were compiled for presentation to Justinian, not a laudatory angle to praise Belisarius (Procopius actually bestows less praise on Belisarius than he does for the much less famous and less participating general Chilbudius). Moreover, Procopius' more personal Secret History indicates a resentful disposition towards Belisarius. Thus from the full and intricate reflection of Procopius we are availed to judge Belisarius, we have on the greatest generals of all time, in terms of tactical balance, strength of opposition, comparative minimal resources provided for him, and strategic success. IMHO, though dated, The Life of Belisarius by Philip Stanhope (Lord Mahon) is a more judicious bio on the great general. Peculiarly, Hughes' brief bibliography, compared with that of his bio on Aetius, on whom the fountainhead of sources are exclusively pangyric and far more obscure, does list Mahon, indicating he discarded what I presented (Goldsworthy even tells us amid his footnotes where another historian's opinion is in contrast with his own, and tells us why, especially a deep work related to the same subject); he should have acknowledged what Mahon wrote (cf. The Life of Belisarius, p. 14 and relevant note 13 - yes, footnotes amid an historical work from 1829!). IMHO, Belisarius did not lose the Battle of Callinicum in the manner many judgments indicate, though it was a much closer fight than his virtuosic masterpiece at Dara a year prior. His subordinates and troops were seemingly a little too hawkish from the verdict of Dara, and he was compelled to fight earlier than he wished (cf. John B. Bury, History of the Later Roman Empire, Vol. 2, p. 87). His anchoring of his infantry on the Euphrates to form a shield-wall and drive off the Sassanids was superb and impromptu generalship (the accounts of Malalas and Zacharias contra Procopius - that Belisarius fled and left his army to their own fate after the Sassanids won the opening cavalry duel - are simply unacceptable, given the overall conduct of Belisarius throughout his very long and incredible career), and subsequently the Sassanid king Kavadh I rebuked and relieved Azarethes of command after realizing the Sassanids had suffered so heavily (Malalas and Zacharias report of an Imperial enquiry over Belisarius' conduct, and they even tells us - though I think their accounts are to be ignored due to the stark contrast they present with Procopius - that Belisarius was cleared of any direct blame, though relieved for the time being). More in-depth circumstances and specifics are required, of course, to present as acute as possible reasons for cause and effect under such conditions, but as of 531 ACE the eastern borders were secure enough for Justinian to decree the famed conquests of Belisarius in the West.

Forgive me, my friend, but Belisarius hardly invoked 'Hunnic tactics' akin to what Aetius certainly administered (in retort to your comment on the Commanders thread, suggesting Belisarius was nothing more than a slavish imitator of Aetius); albeit invaluable for their purpose, the Huns comprised some 200 men in Belisarius' army, hardly sufficient to contribute anything more than an ancillary role in his battles, and he was involved in major field battles involving frontal engagements, with any hit-and-run tactics not comprising any major role in his tactics. Belisarius was far more diverse with engineered entrenchments and a balance of horse and foot (the latter more defensively) action. Absolutely nothing in the panegyrics and chronicles we have for Aetius reveals he was even close to the great general Belisarius was, who was almost always outnumbered and encompassed by his enemies, save for the Nika Riots and masterful stymying of the Kutrigurs in his last battle, which Hughes mentions rather prosaically devoid of even an iota of appreciation (cf. pp. 239-240). Coupled with the defeat of the encroaching Kutrigurs, Belisarius' great naval ruse to take Panormus would have doubtless been appreciated by Hannibal himself! Aetius was surely a good general from what we can glean, and I still acquiesce that I placed him too low; he maintained his army and marched adeptly to beat back incursions into his Gallic 'fiefdom', so to speak. But what did he accomplish to enable any assessment to hold that he 'far exceeds Belisarius in skill' (your words not verbatim)?? I'm sorry, but that's far, far too misguided, IMHO, and you seem to exercise strong conviction in that judgment. You wrote 'there was no excuse' for placing Belisarius (it may be the other way around). The battle he is famous for was a tactical stalemate (Attila was amid a rearguard) of which he shared command with his allies (notably Theodoric I). It seems he was bested by Aspar near Ravenna in his first command in battle on record; he certainly lost to Boniface. He certainly never began his career like Philip II of Macedon (eg., the supreme and novel victory over the Illyrians in 358 BCE), to name an example of a figure lauded with merit. Why the extreme reverence for Aetius? Perhaps because he was a good leader who efficiently delayed the 'inevitable' fall of Rome in the mid-late 5th century ACE, and the glamor of his time and place per se has led to an over-appreciation (depending on one's criterion on judging these things) - in the sense he was a great general (the famed Theodor Mommsen, however, did view Aetius as overrated, relayed by Bury, note 3 on p. 241, in Vol. 1 of his great History of the Roman Empire).

This is where Goldsworthy is succinct and discerning where the likes of Heather and Hughes are arbitrarily too presumptive, IMHO:

Goldsworthy, How Rome Fell, p. 330,

"...Aetius dominated the Western Empire for two decades. He went on campaign in virtually all of these years, fighting against, amongst others, the Visigoths, Alamanni, Franks, Burgundians and Suevi, as well as the rebels known as Bagaudae who had appeared in north-western Gaul. Just like Stilicho and Constantius before him, court poets celebrated his bravery, skill and sweeping victories in the grandest of styles...Yet the very frequency of operations reveals that his successes were limited and almost never decisive..."

OK. That's not an overgeneralization (depending one's definition), but rather a compendious overview. Peter Heather opines that Aetius' achievement in dealing with the mess of the 430s ACE was 'extraordinary' (cf. Heather, The Fall of the Roman Empire, pp. 283-285), and to 'shed light' on this 'extraordinary' achievement Heather writes that 'we have a few sparse entries in the chronicles' (something not supportive of such a strong conclusion), subsequent to which he splendidly apprises us of a Medieval source for one Merobaudes, a rhetorician who lists the military achievements of Aetius of the 430s ACE (this is still far from having a Procopius as a veritable source of detail). The list reveals what Goldsworthy stated more so, IMHO, than Heather's reflection of Aetius being a great general (emphasis on great) because the 'record is impressive', where successful 'campaigns' followed another.

Let's take a look at the record, and ask what occured:

In c. 425 ACE Aetius, after obtaining military assistance from the Huns, was ordered by the western usurper Joannes to attack the rear of the eastern army under Aspar after it entered Italy; Aspar was sent by the eastern emperor Theodosius II to Italy to supplant Joannes in support of Placedia (the regent for the child-emperor of the West, Valentinian III). In the region of Ravenna, Joannes was captured and executed a few days before Aetius arrived. Indeed, Aetius attacked with, perhaps, an advantage (if he engaged in sync with 'falling on the rear' of Aspar's army, a reflection, indeed, of Hunnic methods), and all we now have on record is that 'there was heavy slaughter on both sides' (cf. Olympiodorus of Thebes, Books of History, fr. 43.2). Not an auspicious beginning, but also not any indication of Aetius being a less than good general at this early stage.

In c. 426 Aetius, appointed by Placedia as the field commander of Gaul, where conditions were grim with threats on many sides, marched to Arles (NW of Massilia) to face the Visigoths who had laid siege to the city. Aetius marched to face the Visigoths with celerity, but the circumstantial action does not validate the display of a great general. We have but two surviving sources of the event, comprising the same number of sentences; Prosper of Aquitaine wrote that Arles 'was assailed by the Goths with great violence, until, threatened by Aetius they withdrew not without losses'; the Chronicle Gallica of 452 -a continuation of the famed works by St. Jerome - simply reads, 'Arles was freed from the Goths by Aetius'. As brief as this is, it's revealing enough that the Goths attacked Arles and sustained losses in doing so, and only upon Aetius' arrival did they withdraw. Hughes agrees (cf. p. 65), but writes in his valuable Outline Chronology that 'Aetius defeats Goths besieging Arles' (cf. p 208), rather than 'Aetius compels Goths to flee Arles upon his arrival' (I think there is a difference which should be clarified). Mission accomplished, but let's not credit Aetius with a great victory by just appearing and compelling the enemy to retire.

In c. 428, Aetius marched to the Rhine in attempt to expel encroaching Salian Franks under their king Clodio, who recently defeated the stationed Romans around Cambrai and joined the settled Franks already here in northern Gaul on the Rhine; Aetius seemingly checked Clodio (near modern Arras, or perhaps Hesdin), but the Frankish king maintained his position and within a few years had apparently extended his power westwards. The sources we get here are Philostorgius (Church History 12.4), Prosper of Aquitaine (s.a. 425 and 428), the Chronicle Gallica of 452 (102 and s.a. 427) and Cassiodorus (Chronica, s.a. 428). The gist from these brief excerpts reveals no decisive victory whatsoever (perhaps not Aetius' intent). He would have to come back later to deal further with this.

In c. 430 Aetius returned near Arles and stopped the threatening moves of the Visigoths under one Anaolsus, probably sanctioned by his king Theodoric I; our primary source for this is Hydatius (Chronicon 430). We have no details, including the fate of Anaolsus, but this was a battle victory for Aetius, whatever the fashion.

In c. 430 Aetius marched NE to the Roman province of Raetia (modern central and eastern Switzerland), where he defeated a rebellious force of Iuthungi (Alamanni); through Hydatius (Cronicon 430), the Chronicle Gallica of 452 (s.a. 430), and Sidonius Appollinaris (Carmina 7.233), we have no material to judge the nature of the battle or Aetius' strength of opposition. But the speed under which two victories were achieved, while supporting the aspect that Aetius skillfully exploited a warlike manner of Hunnic-style maneuver and attack (ambush and surprise seems to be his forte, as we may see), is also is reflective of Goldsworthy's identification that these were small battles against encroaching and rebel brigands. But the pattern of solidifying Roman realms is evident.

In c. 431 Aetius swiftly put down a rebellion in Noricum, a province just east of Raetia. Nothing from Hydatius (Chronicon s.a. 431) allows us to even extrapolate prodigious tactics evident of a great field general. It can only be assumed that a good leader moved his army accordingly to suppress a small uprising (comparatively speaking).

In c. 432 Aetius, now consul, marched to the Rhine to face the Franks again, this time retaking Tournai and Cambrai. Hydatius reveals that an agreement with Clodio was reached (cf. Chronicon s.a. 432), but if he knew that information, why cannot he have know if he actually faced Clodio in the field in a relatively major battle, and if so, how did he defeat them? We are availed not even sparse details of any battle action. Without such data, how can anyone profess that Aetius far exceeds one such as Belisarius in skill as a general, of whom we have concise enough details to rate as a supreme general (even those who disagree Belisarius was not as great as I deem him, it is undeniable he was very good)? Regardless, it seems Aetius more forcefully checked, at the very least, the Frankish threat.

In c. 432, Aetius meets Boniface in battle in the region proximate to Ravenna and Rimini (Ariminum), and is defeated. Although the chronicler John of Antioch claims Aetius was victorious (cf. Historia Chronice, fr. 201.3), the more contemporary chronicles of Prosper and Marcellinus Comes tell us enough that Aetius relinquished his charge and retired to his estates in Italy before fleeing eastwards, after an assassination attempt, to the friendly confines of the Huns under Rua (probably within the lands of Dalmatia or Pannonia). Boniface surely won the battle, but later died of his wounds. It's a shame for the Roman cause that these two were at odds rather than allies. A seasoned Aetius was now beaten by a worthy foe of equal strength, who crossed to Italy from Africa no less. Not a positive point to place Aetius with generals throughout history of the highest tier. Aetius returned a year later and was reinstalled as magister millitum.

In c. 435 Aetius defeated the Burgundians under their king Gundahar in a swift campaign in Gallia Belgica (cf. Prosper, s.a. 435; Cassiodorus Chronica s.a. 435), and terms were imposed. Again, we don't have any words of Aetius' tactics or manner of battlefield control.

In c. 436, the Burgundians broke the treaty and were again attacked, if not a doublet of Aetius' success against them the year before, and 'crushed' by Aetius (Prosper's words, but no battle-action detail); they were then separately and more forcefully overrun by the Huns, effectively destroying their kingdom. This same year saw Aetius' subordinate Litorius defeat the Visigoths under Theodoric I, who were besieging Narbonne (on the coast of southern Gaul); Litorius had earlier effected a collapse in northern Gaul by the rising Bacaudae by capturing their leader Tibatto, hence was able to rush south with his Hunnic allies (some, however, broke away to plunder and were stopped by a Gallic leader named Avitus) and surprise the Visigoths. Interestingly, the chronicles here give us at least a glimpse of how things unfolded: Prosper tells us that Litorius ambushed the Visigoths at their siege-lines, thus they could not form a coherent battle-line, and that Litorius ordered his men to carry two measures of wheat for the citizens of Narbonne (cf. Prosper s.a. 436). From this brevity we can at least assume Litorius effectively utilized the element of surprise on the enemy's positions not marshalled for a field battle. We are not provided even such miniscule details regarding Aetius' actions so far. This is perhaps significant, because the next year's campaign we get a glimpse of Aetius' methods from the aforementioned Merobaudes.

In c. 438 Aetius won a battle against a Gothic enemy which seems to illustrate his mark as a good general, and, as would be assumed anyway given his close association with the Huns as a young man, a display of Hunnic martial influence. According to Hydatius, Aetius slaughtered 8,000 Goths, and Merobaudes mirrors this - though surely exaggerated - in telling us that Aetius 'killed the greatest part of the enemy' after he 'surprised them - as is his custom'; he provides the detail that the Gothic infantry units were routed and that he followed hard on the scattering enemy cavalry (cf. Merobaudes, Panegyric 1, fr. IIA). 'As is his custom'. This is instructive and welcomed detail (just a few words such as this is what helps enormously; I'm not asking for something along the lines of what a 20th century war correspondent would provide!); as Aetius was in distant sectors of Gaul for every campaign, we can use such unambiguous phrases to assume he surprised his various enemies with a rapid approach sans any major pitched battles and/or sieges, and in this case, he clearly effectuated a probable superb battle victory over a relatively large and marshalled enemy (this was almost surely the Battle of 'Snake Mountain'). But it didn't work earlier against Aspar and Boniface. Perhaps at this later time it would...

It seems Aetius' only successful action thereafter - before the Catalaunian Plains - was an ambush of the Franks in c. 445, after which he led a victory procession through the streets of Rome the following year.

Forgive me if this was somewhat dry - against my custom, if I may - but I just appreciate Goldsworthy's (who is, after all, the subject of this thread) precise recognition that Aetius' prolific record needs to be gauged, if it needs to be at all, within its context, and not just from a quantitative perspective.

Sorry my friend, I concede that Aetius should be TIER 2, but he's not on par with Belisarius, IMHO. You have my word that, though I don't get around to posting as much as I used to, I enjoy often reading yours and others' fine and deep works on these great topics both here and on RAT. Should you undertake a comparison of the two arguing otherwise, I'll see it, peruse it, and get around with my retorts! Moreover, everyone, comparing these two greats of later Roman history (generally speaking, taking into consideration the distinction of Byzantine identity) could be as illuminating as it could be tantalizing, but not in an x vs. y mode, nor in an elaborate manner on this thread.

Thanks, James
    Last edited by Spartan JKM; September 13, 2014 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "A ship is safe in the harbor; but that's not why ships are built"

Under the patronage of the revered Obi Wan Asterix

Calvin and Osceola, may you both henceforth remain in everlasting tranquility

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Good post James, a few quick comments though:

An assessment of Hunnic and Roman Military forces in the Civil war of 423-425 is needed to accurately gauge the engagement. Aspar lost the majority of his father Ardaburius' (and the general Candidianus, presumably), forces from a storm on the Adriatic sea. Aetius allegedly came down from Pannonia with 60,000 Huns: more likely 6,000 considering recent research on the state of the Hungarian plain (see Katalin Szenske). McEvoy correctly points out that the intention of Theodosius was to appoint Valentinian III as the Junior partner, accepting the established system of child emperor partnerships begun under Arbogastes and Valentinian II. However, the arrival of Aetius was entirely unexpected in this plan, as he could draw upon large numbers of support outside the control of the Roman government. The events at Ravenna probably amounted to skirmishing at best, and eventually Theodosius II conceded to him the appointment of Comes et Magister Militum per Gallias.

The Battles against Aspar and Bonifacius were in the end different: Aetius was in a civil war, and had to fight a set piece battle, there was no way else to win. Defeating another Roman army was extremely dangerous and costly in a time when recruits were hard to come by; what he had to do was force a retreat, rather than attempt to outright defeat the army, which he was unable to do against Bonifacius. The Roman army had logistics, organization, and was quicker to set up a battle line, especially under competent generals, so surprising the enemy before they organized was simply not an option.

Aetius, after his rivals were elminated (Felix by his own hand/the army's, as he probably WAS accusing Aetius of plotting against him, as Felix had done the same to Bonifacius) and Bonifacius due to some sort of misunderstanding in the Western Government (It's hard to say if Aetius schemed to take him down, but judging by all the available info on his personality it seems unlikely), became the partner of Valentinian III, assuming the active role. However, unlike Stilico and Constantius III before him, he was checked in his power by that of Theodosius II and the rift that had been growing between the Gallic and Italic aristocracy, both of which he wouldn't overcome until the 450's.

It's hard to say what Clodio was doing; Cambrai and Tournai were captured by Clodio in 431, and the sources don't say if Aetius took them back at that time: in 445 he retook Torunai, Cambrai, Arras, Trier, and Cologne after he and Majorian won the Battle of Vicus Helena. Aetius' failing really was that Vitus, one of his commanders, suffered an embarrassing defeat in Spain, preventing the recapture of that province.

As biased as Merobaudes obviously is, he actually campaigned and commanded with Aetius: In the Alpes/Raetia in 430 and 431, and again with Litorius in 435, and he successfully defeated the "Bacaudae of Aracellitanus" (modern day Acci probably) in Spain in 443.

8000 dead, surprisingly enough, isn't an impossible figure for the Battle of Mons Colubrarius. Heather estimates the Goths in Aquitaine could field 25,000 men, and if you counted the wounded, 8000 isn't unreasonable. Aetius finished that war with a night attack on the Gothic camp in 439, succinctly defeating their army. Interestingly enough, it's recorded that he personally participated in combat at his battle, just like it's recorded that Litorius also participated in combat at Tolosa in 439, which is noteworthy.

It's clear Aetius was an aggressive general: he seemed to prefer to attack before the enemy was ready, and clearly relied heavily on steppe cavalry. The backbone to his defense in Gaul, other than his Huns, were the Alans of Goar (later Sangiban) and Sambida in Aurelianum and Valentia, respectively. Although there's no evidence for the introduction of Lance-and-Bow warfare under Aetius, which even if it was it would have died out when the army abandoned the west after he died, it is clear the Romans adopted the practice of using a couched lance from "the fair haired peoples" (which usually refers to the Alans and East Germanics, notably in Ammianus.) Various texts, including Constantius of Lyon's Vita Germani, hint that the process of reform we see taking place in the Notitia Dignitatum was formalized under Aetius, who probably reorganized the army into a system based around the Numerus and Cuneus (the emerging regimental system seen in the Notitia). It's logical that since Valentinian III's rule was so stable, that he may have also implemented Lance-and-Bow warfare, but there's no indication that he introduced it to the entire army: only that Aetius knew the tactic himself. However, his successes without Hunnic support which was re-called in 439, as well as his heavy reliance on Alans to man the Roman cavalry units, may suggest he reformed the cavalry into lance-and-bow cavalry.

Finally, it's arguable whether Chalons was a victory: Hyun Jin Kim (in my opinion correctly) makes the suggestion that Jordanes' account is ripped off the battle of Marathon. Aetius certainly was not sharing his command: to do so would in the idealism of the time be giving a political advantage to his Foederati which he could not afford. More research on the battle, which I am currently doing, is needed. Aetius had essentially won the war by beating Attila to Orleans, but Attila, strategically, had won in that he had achieved his goal of looting north Gaul, although he failed to achieve the goal of placing Childeric on the Frankish throne, as Aetius was able to maintain Merovech in that position. Aetius also outmaneuvered Attila at Aquileia the following year, forcing him to use up most of the campaigning season in a costly siege of the Roman garrison at Aquileia.

A list of campaigns we are certain Aetius himself participated in:

Battle of Ravenna, 425.
    Siege of Arles by Anaulf, 426.
    Frankish Campaign, 428.
    Campaign against the Iuthungi and Alpine Bacaudae, 430.
    Campaign against Anaolsus, 430.
    Campaign against the Norician Bacaudae, 431.
    Campaign against the Franks, 432.
    Battle of Ariminium, 432.
    Burgundian Revolt, 435.
    Battle of Mons Colubrarius, 438.
    Defeat of the Goths and end of the Gothic war, 439.
    Battle of Vicus Helenae, 445.
    Battle of the Catalaunian Fields, 451.
    Gothic Siege of Arles, 453.
    Spanish Campaign of 453.

Campaigns he may have been a part of:
    Burgundian Revolt (coinciding with the Gothic war), 436.
    Spanish Campaign in 438 (this was more likely Comes Hispenias Censorius though)
    Armorican Rebellion, 442.
    Armorican Rebellion, 448.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; September 13, 2014 at 08:06 PM.

For my money, the best writer on Late Antiquity - at least in general terms - is the first one. Peter Brown's The World of Late Antiquity is an excellent general history of the period, and was really the first work to present the Late Antique period as its own world rather than casting it as a decline from the heights of the first and second centuries. Furthermore, it's very well written and eminently readable. Although now somewhat venerable (1971), I would definitely recommend it, along with Brown's other works, to anyone interested in the history of this period.

And for those interested in Belisarius, if you don't want to read Procopius (and let's face it, he can get really annoying at times), Torsten Cumberland Jacobsen's The Gothic War is a favourite of mine.
    Last edited by William the Marshal; November 12, 2014 at 03:28 AM.
    Author of Wanderers, Far from Home and Standing Between Titans
    Do you like to write? Do you like to read things other people write? Why not pop over to Creative Writing or Tale of the Week?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thanks for the recommendations, I will have to check those out (literally and metaphorically. Yay college library systems!)

Sorry for the necro (doesn't seem like many threads are totally active here tbh). I've been away for a while from the forum mostly due to school and having less time to read my books and conduct research on subjects I like but... I read through the thread.

I have to agree with what's been said about World War Two. Over the past couple of years I spent time gifting out all of my saved WWII magazines. I can honestly say that I have seen the same dozen articles on the Bulge, Normandy, Stalingrad, and etc. all of the time. It is old. I got so bored in fact, that I left that subject behind and only have been reading what books I already own. Honestly, how many times can people write about the same battle? I noticed a new Bulge book on the shelves last month and I can only wonder what makes it different from the rest?? About the only subject I hardly see getting any coverage in WWII are the armies of Germany's allies and the fighting in China including the Russian blitzkrieg at the end down through Manchuria and into the Korean peninsula.

I also noticed a few said most history sections at bookstores are bland and do not present any in-depth/newer takes on subjects and topics. I believe that this is untrue. I have found some great gems in a number of bookstores. Francis Fukuyama's Political Disorder and Political Decay is a great example of an in-depth study of a subject. I think we are just witnessing many history sections shrink as bookstore cope with people using e-readers more and more these days and genres like history shrinking while others grow, such as YA or the Fantasy/Science Fiction sections. If you love going to bookstores and live in a major metropolis/urban area I would recommend looking up used bookstores. You can find some real gems in them for very cheap. An example is discovering books on the late Roman Empire and the early Medieval period by authors like A.H.M. Jones, Peter Brown, Patrick J. Geary, Barry Cunliffe, Guy Halsall, and a number of others whom I discovered at used bookstores. After those, I've made sure to check them out whenever I came across a store because you'll never know what you may find (not to mention for cheap as well!).
    Therefore I am I must - King of Dyslexia
    My Stories:Wolfmen - Henrick Gleeson - The Woman and the Bread Roll

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I found quite a few Roman and Byzantine books in my Grandfather's basement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast