Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does "Authentic" mean to you?

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

Default Re: What does "Authentic" mean to you?

authentic means for me

1.roma surrectum(within the limits of the old engine)
    2.slow battle pace,so time to use strategy.
    3.build what you want,wherever you want,how mutch you want.
    4.historical correctness
    5.the point posted by sirRobin
    6.high income from farming
    7.less squalor
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

More disease, public bath's though better then no bath at all does not sound very hygienic when you have literally thousands of people bathing in the same water, though I hope they refreshed the water from time to time at least. And slavery keeping people locked in cages and scared covered in the own and wee is a great way to breed a super bug.

As for artillery, well look to be totally honest I really like it the way it is, DEI mod nerfed the hell out of it and now it just not useful enough to pull out which really is crap seeming how much fun having it can be.

and I would not compare artillery in this game to napoleon TW I played that game only a few weeks ago and the artillery in that game is way more powerful it not like they can shoot caustic lime or canister shot.

Quote Originally Posted by RHYS4190 View Post
    and I would not compare artillery in this game to napoleon TW I played that game only a few weeks ago and the artillery in that game is way more powerful it not like they can shoot caustic lime or canister shot.
    When every other (?) barbarian army seems to be running around with 3-5 ballistae they don't need cannister shot to be OP as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post

A good general didn't want to go to battle with half his army comprised of incompetent peasants and expensive, disloyal mercenaries, but that's often what he had to work with.
    It would be nice if CA stuck with what they actually were. The backbone of the early legions was really a common type type of heavy infantry. The variance was in training and competence. Novice legions could perform badly, even be defeated by slave rebels. It was said it took four years service to bring a legion to a competent level, prior to this they were viewed as "raw". But in Rome2 you can buy veteran legionaries hot off the press. Even then many legions were demobilized in the Republican period and then brought back to service and these could do badly as well. The late Republic had 70 legions on paper, but many demobilized or part forces in training. Augustus peeled it back to a smaller full time professional force. Even then Legions could be left to wither in times of peace to save money.

It's like my negative on the preponderance of maile armor in the game. I'm fine with that as long there is an economic strategy that involves paying for it. Cheap iron helmet 2 solidi, good gladius 2 - 3 solidi, spear and Shield and some general personal equipment 2 solidi. But then, maile shirt 12 solidi (and that price while there was a good supply of second hand maile shirts that normal had a long life span). A rawhide cuirass was only 1 solidi and a linen corslet only 2 solidi.

The Lorcia segmenta might have been a little cheaper than maile but seemed to have a troublesome maintenance record. It's interesting the segmenta is not found in the hotter Eastern regions and North Africa. Naked metal is a wonderful baking pan in strong sun.

The earlier pleb legionaries received there equipment as loan which was deducted from their income (so was their food and clothing). They often went for long periods with their cash pay in backlog, but they still had to be fed and equipped. Vindolanda recovered records show their cash wages could be 6 months behind. This wouldn't fly too well when directed to go and fight somewhere, especially against an enemy that was both poor and aggressive.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima View Post
    When every other (?) barbarian army seems to be running around with 3-5 ballistae they don't need cannister shot to be OP as hell.
    The Persians might have used them but not with the same competence in field battles as the Romans. The Dacians are recorded as using them from protected positions, but they were a cut above the average barbarian. Later on the barbarians learned don't fight the Romans at their own game and instead use stealth and lightly equipped mobility. It required advanced logistics to field and maintain artillery.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12