Page 12 of 529 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112512 ... LastLast

Thread: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria

Stupid Russians should just have supplied those damn missiles.
    Miss me yet?

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Treize View Post
    Stupid Russians should just have supplied those damn missiles.
    A couple of S-300s wont stop cruise missiles or SEAD aircraft.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    A couple of S-300s wont stop cruise missiles or SEAD aircraft.
    Deterrent. Also depends on the version. Tomahawk is basically low tech junk.
    Miss me yet?

Civitate

Deterrent. Also depends on the version. Tomahawk is basically low tech junk.
    The original Tomahawk is low-tech junk. But if i am not mistaken, there is now different variants and versions of the Tomahawk.

The real concern from the S-300 is as you said depends on the version. Modern S-300s will give SEAD a hard time. But i don't think Russia would have sold Syria its modern S-300, but one of its export versions like the S-300 PMU.

Israel and NATO have already gotten their hands on S-300s and have studied them. They live up to their reputation, but they are not impossible to beat anymore.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Miss me yet?

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Good i'm expecting Northern Hama to be fully liberated in a few days

Anyone remember the terrorists claiming they were going to take Hama? blah blah blah
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Domna View Post
    Good i'm expecting Northern Hama to be fully liberated in a few days

Anyone remember the terrorists claiming they were going to take Hama? blah blah blah
    I wonder what they will do next.

Redeploying units from that theatre to the south takes alot of time but Qunaitra should be preeminent in consideration.
    Also ISIS is encroaching on Salamiyah and Kweiris.

But maybe they will try to push into south Idlib, I don't know.
    Miss me yet?

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

I wonder what they will do next.

Redeploying units from that theatre to the south takes alot of time but Qunaitra should be preeminent in consideration.
    Also ISIS is encroaching on Salamiyah and Kweiris.

But maybe they will try to push into south Idlib, I don't know.
    Agreed something should be done about Qunaitra. Perhaps Hezbollah could get involved? It is important because they could open a new front in Damascus from the west

Personally i expect these troops (in Hama) to open a new front in Idlib to lessen the pressure on besieged cities like Ariha/Jish-Ash-Shugur and Hirsh

Also i think it's important to liberate Nawa for good this time.
    Last edited by Mary The Quene; September 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Agreed something should be done about Qunaitra. Perhaps Hezbollah could get involved? It is important because they could open a new front in Damascus from the west

Personally i expect these troops (in Hama) to open a new front in Idlib to lessen the pressure on besieged cities like Ariha/Jish-Ash-Shugur and Hirsh

Also i think it's important to liberate Nawa for good this time.
    Qunaitra is more important than Nawa. Their supply line has to be cut. This means SAA has to re-enter the DMZ area.

Ariha and Jish ash-Shigur are not really under much pressure.

What COULD happen if the offensive in Hama is very succesful is that they take Khan Sheikun and reestablish a supply route to the besieged bases. Not sure they can pull that off at this point.
    Miss me yet?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

And i wonder what russia will do if that happens. But eh Obama is forgetting his airstrikes are illegal and Syria are in their full right to respond back.

but meh It's the USA so it's all OK i guess
    Becauseof action against territory it cannot control?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Becauseof action against territory it cannot control?
    Its funny really. The UN hasn't said one thing about the US plan to bomb the ISIS in Syria. No protests, no complaints. When the US wanted to strike Syria last year, the UN got pissed. But now the UN isn't saying a word.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

They probably won't say anything about Boko Haram either. Everyone has got or potentially will have problems with Islamic inspired insurgents.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

But now the UN isn't saying a word.
    UN is tied by Ebola outbreak currently; Ebola is certainly more scary than your petty Islamists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

Israel and NATO have already gotten their hands on S-300s and have studied them. They live up to their reputation, but they are not impossible to beat anymore.
    Who says that exactly?

Just 2 years ago in a very large NATO exercise the S-300 PMU of the Slovakian Army, not the A team if you know what I mean, was involved in tests again a large number of modern NATO aircraft, including Rafale's and F-16s.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post
    Who says that exactly?
    Greece who allowed Israel to study its s-300. Greece also participated in the White Eagle 2013 military exercise with NATO involving its S-300.

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post
    Just 2 years ago in a very large NATO exercise the S-300 PMU of the Slovakian Army, not the A team if you know what I mean, was involved in tests again a large number of modern NATO aircraft, including Rafale's and F-16s.
    It was actually one year ago. And the Slovakians aren't the best trained, but that doesn't mean NATO didn't get to see-first hand how an S-300 works and operates.

and apparently Croatia in 2004 shipped off the a non-working S-300 it owned to the US.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Comes Domesticorum

If I'm not mistaken, the S-300s that Greece has are of an older variety, since they were acquired like, more than 10 years ago if I recall from when the Turks objected to Cyprus defending its airspace so we were given them. We didn't even make them operational until recently since we were worried about the Turkish reaction, but in any case I don't think anyone is arguing that S-300 isn't capable, but rather than the weaknesses have been figured out, especially for older versions or export versions which Syria would most likely be getting.

UselessPoster's Avatar Semisalis

ISIL will continue to behead people, the only real option is to evacuate parts of the country and then drop nukes all over ISIL owned areas.

It's a lost cause and the war will only drag out over time.

It's either 5-10 years of war or day of nukes.
    Q2 2015 ...

Time to go on a killing spree in HATRED .

A long reading about the rescue teams at Aleppo.

Dedicating to the people insisting Assad is an Angel.
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

Its funny really. The UN hasn't said one thing about the US plan to bomb the ISIS in Syria. No protests, no complaints. When the US wanted to strike Syria last year, the UN got pissed. But now the UN isn't saying a word.
    Funny, because as far i understand ISIS in Syria live amoung the civilian populace. While in Iraq their operations are quite in the open. The dilema is quite diferent.

I recall reading somewhere the locals in Syria asking ISiS to leave, and they round up some young people and cut their heads in front of the populace, there was no more arguments there.
    Honestly i think action against ISIS in iraq can be made sucessfully, in time, and with boots on the ground wont be resolved under Obamas mandate thats for sure, in Syria is totaly another story as they are more dispersed.
    This situation is one of the effects of destroying the instituition, or aparels left by sadam. US has its fair share of responsability.
    Its amazing how some big past mistakes bites us much later, bin laden wasnt the first, and evidentely isnt the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Funny, because as far i understand ISIS in Syria live amoung the civilian populace. While in Iraq their operations are quite in the open. The dilema is quite diferent.

I recall reading somewhere the locals in Syria asking ISiS to leave, and they round up some young people and cut their heads in front of the populace, there was no more arguments there.
    Honestly i think action against ISIS in iraq can be made sucessfully, in time, and with boots on the ground wont be resolved under Obamas mandate thats for sure, in Syria is totaly another story as they are more dispersed.
    This situation is one of the effects of destroying the instituition, or aparels left by sadam. US has its fair share of responsability.
    Its amazing how some big past mistakes bites us much later, bin laden wasnt the first, and evidentely isnt the last.
    You are right. They do the same mistake by funding, equiping and training moderate terrorists/insurgents against the Syrin government is even worse.

And a disclaimer: I never said Assad is an angel

And the Aleppo civil defence force is not affilated with any party.

Some has use TNT from the air some from beneath
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; September 16, 2014 at 07:24 AM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.