Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Netflix, Kickstarter and others join Team Internet to Battle FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler on Net Neutrality

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Default Netflix, Kickstarter and others join Team Internet to Battle FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler on Net Neutrality

Netflix And Others Plan Symbolic “Slowdown” As Net Neutrality Fight Intensifies

Expect to see a lot of net neutrality activity this week as we approach the September 15 deadline for comments on FCC chairman Tom Wheeler’s open Internet proposal – which stops short of banning cable and phone companies from favoring some content providers. Tomorrow several major tech companies including Netflix, Kickstarter, Mozilla, and reddit as well as activist groups will include slow-moving icons on their sites to illustrate what they believe could happen if the FCC doesn’t impose tougher regulations. This “could become one of the biggest online protests of all time (step aside, SOPA),” says the Free Press Action Fund, a major supporter of the event. The groups plan lunchtime rallies in New York, Philadelphia (where Comcast is headquartered) and other cities September 15.

Today they also called on the FCC to hold at least four hearings on the subject, outside of Washington, DC. “An often invisible agency is about to decide the future of our news and information ecosystem,” says former FCC Commissioner Michael Copps, now an adviser to Common Cause. “It must not make an invisible decision. The Commission hears more than enough from inside-the-Beltway lobbyists. Now it needs to hear from the people who will have to live with its decisions.”

Speaking of lobbyists, Wheeler today told CTIA — the wireless industry trade group that he once ran — that he might want to change or end the policy of giving mobile providers more flexibility to manage their networks than wired ones have. There’ve been “significant changes in the mobile marketplace since 2010″ when the FCC adopted net neutrality rules that a federal court remanded in January. The world depends much more on mobile devices than it did then. He’s also concerned that some mobile providers tell customers that they have unlimited data — but throttle speeds when they use too much. “Our Open Internet proceeding will look closely at both the question of what is ‘reasonable’ and the related subject of how network management practices can be transparent to consumers and edge providers.”
    Personally, I think TWC should join Team Internet for the rest of September. As opposed to Team Cable, which includes ComCast, Verizon, AT&T and the like, the big telecommunications companies and cable providers.

Let it be remembered for posterity that a "progressive" like Obama appointed Wheeler, a former lobbyist for the cable and wireless industry, last year with Senate approval. Wikipedia and others fought SOPA very hard in the past. Let's see if they all have the testicular fortitude to fight again.

What do you guys think? Do you think Internet service providers should be allowed to bend us all over a barrel? To slow down certain sites that don't pay their ransom or protection racket? Or slow down sites they simply don't like for political reasons? If these measures go through, they could simply kill any site that promotes net neutrality in the future by halting traffic to those sites.

Default Re: Netflix, Kickstarter and others join Team Internet to Battle FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler on Net Neutrality

Every time we have this topic there is absolutely no dissenting opinion it seems like, everyone supports the "free internet".

But where are all those on this forum who are constantly tell us about the supremacy of self interest. What about the self interest of Comcast and Time Warner? Isn't it GOOD for the entire universe for these companies to manipulate the market as much as humanly possible in order to maximize the profits of their stockholders and executives?

Or does your ideology stop in its tracks when it comes to being (relatively) minorly inconvenienced as you spend a large part of your day browsing the internet and streaming video. Suddenly then big businesses pushing around consumers and the rest of the internet is a problem.

But the free market! It will solve this and all problems on its own (with new payment tiers!).

Comes Limitis

Default Re: Netflix, Kickstarter and others join Team Internet to Battle FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler on Net Neutrality

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Netflix And Others Plan Symbolic “Slowdown” As Net Neutrality Fight Intensifies

Personally, I think TWC should join Team Internet for the rest of September. As opposed to Team Cable, which includes ComCast, Verizon, AT&T and the like, the big telecommunications companies and cable providers.

Let it be remembered for posterity that a "progressive" like Obama appointed Wheeler, a former lobbyist for the cable and wireless industry, last year with Senate approval. Wikipedia and others fought SOPA very hard in the past. Let's see if they all have the testicular fortitude to fight again.

What do you guys think? Do you think Internet service providers should be allowed to bend us all over a barrel? To slow down certain sites that don't pay their ransom or protection racket? Or slow down sites they simply don't like for political reasons? If these measures go through, they could simply kill any site that promotes net neutrality in the future by halting traffic to those sites.
    Bill "progressive" Clinton also had its hands all over consolidating media with the Telecomunication Act of 1996.

Its again just another political tag-team wrestling effort giving the people illusion of choice while knowingly the larger dynamics only lead down one designated path.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

I talked to my friend who is a network systems administrator for a large research institute about net neutrality and from his perspective being able to control and prioritize traffic could allow for efficiency.

E.g. say you have video conferencing and large file downloading going on at the same time. You want to prioritize the video packets, as any delays/drops cause big problems in quality. The downloading files on the other hand aren't as important. As a system admin he'd rather prioritize bandwidth for important things and give less bandwidth to trivial traffic.

I pointed out that he works for a non-profit public institution dedicated to academics and research. If for-profit ISP's had this ability, they'd have less incentive to simply lay down more fiber when confronted with higher traffic. They could instead just squeeze out certain services/websites. In the end, the physical information infrastructure of the US would fall further behind, making us less competitive over time.
    Last edited by Sphere; September 11, 2014 at 01:55 PM.

Last I checked the political in general wasn't about file types, but about big name domains able to afford the fast lane vs small domains. Nice miss.

Its one thing to prioritize the calls over the download. Another to prioritize the calls from BIG NAME over the calls from little name.
    Last edited by Gaidin; September 11, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Google, dark fibre, and municipality owned networks.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Last I checked the political in general wasn't about file types, but about big name domains able to afford the fast lane vs small domains. Nice miss.

Its one thing to prioritize the calls over the download. Another to prioritize the calls from BIG NAME over the calls from little name.
    Pretty much this. Additionally it would give ISPs another layer of control over Internet access. Do they really need more ways to earn a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn777 View Post
    Bill "progressive" Clinton also had its hands all over consolidating media with the Telecomunication Act of 1996.

Its again just another political tag-team wrestling effort giving the people illusion of choice while knowingly the larger dynamics only lead down one designated path.
    If deregulation legislation goes through and the big name providers get to have free reign over anything they want to do with the web, it will be pretty clear to most, I would hope, when their shenanigans and tampering become apparent. That should drop the veil and end the illusion pretty quickly. By then, though, there will hardly be a means to fight back. The Internet is the greatest mechanism for social mobilization in our time. Imagine having it neutered by the total lack of net neutrality. For starters, down goes Netflix, a company that as of now is doing very well with its model rivaling cable TV and HBO.

Comes Limitis

Well things are already pretty evident when looking at the range of issues foreighn and domestic, but people A) either dont care, B) still have it good and allot of bills and debt to pay to get all 1960's on govt, C) care about issues but lack quality of thinking, often seemingly only can wrap their head around things issue by issue and cant see the corelations and dynamics at work, D) are completely powerless because of A, B, and C.

We only had it good because our rulers had to deal with another ideological super-power and they can only stop us from having it good,by peeling down our perks slowly, layer by layer, by making us think its our own fault, by popularizing a more individulastic society where churches(also many on the corporate dole), families, unions, after-work societies etc play less and less a role in getting people together, by a media that is blatantly or covertly selling agenda's. And so on.

I dont see a chance anymore even though this internet-thing is kind of neat. Still it seems the Deepstate is already using it to its advantage with the NSA and the Twitter Revolutions.
    Last edited by Thorn777; September 13, 2014 at 03:09 PM.
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by tarvu View Post
    Every time we have this topic there is absolutely no dissenting opinion it seems like, everyone supports the "free internet".

But where are all those on this forum who are constantly tell us about the supremacy of self interest. What about the self interest of Comcast and Time Warner? Isn't it GOOD for the entire universe for these companies to manipulate the market as much as humanly possible in order to maximize the profits of their stockholders and executives?

Or does your ideology stop in its tracks when it comes to being (relatively) minorly inconvenienced as you spend a large part of your day browsing the internet and streaming video. Suddenly then big businesses pushing around consumers and the rest of the internet is a problem.

But the free market! It will solve this and all problems on its own (with new payment tiers!).
    I doubt anyone is going to defend the cable companies but it would be a more fun debate if someone did.

Basically the only people that oppose a more "free internet" are the cable companies, the few massive media companies that would profit and the politicians they have paid off... errr donated to...
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    I doubt anyone is going to defend the cable companies but it would be a more fun debate if someone did.

Basically the only people that oppose a more "free internet" are the cable companies, the few massive media companies that would profit and the politicians they have paid off... errr donated to...
    We have dozens of people on this board who should be defending them, but really they are only interested in speaking up on the sanctity of free market principles and self interest when it comes to screwing workers and the poor.

Typical conservative hypocrisy, when we are talking about something that actually affects them personally they suddenly give a about something more than making money.

Quote Originally Posted by tarvu View Post
    We have dozens of people on this board who should be defending them, but really they are only interested in speaking up on the sanctity of free market principles and self interest when it comes to screwing workers and the poor.
    Typical conservative hypocrisy, when we are talking about something that actually affects them personally they suddenly give a about something more than making money.
    We'll probably see a libertarian argument FOR net neutrality before we see a libertarian argument supporting the cable companies.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    I talked to my friend who is a network systems administrator for a large research institute about net neutrality and from his perspective being able to control and prioritize traffic could allow for efficiency.

E.g. say you have video conferencing and large file downloading going on at the same time. You want to prioritize the video packets, as any delays/drops cause big problems in quality. The downloading files on the other hand aren't as important. As a system admin he'd rather prioritize bandwidth for important things and give less bandwidth to trivial traffic.

I pointed out that he works for a non-profit public institution dedicated to academics and research. If for-profit ISP's had this ability, they'd have less incentive to simply lay down more fiber when confronted with higher traffic. They could instead just squeeze out certain services/websites. In the end, the physical information infrastructure of the US would fall further behind, making us less competitive over time.

Exactly. On the surface it actually makes sense - until it makes it into corporate boardrooms.

The best hope for the US is if European companies come here and shake up the market like T-Mobile did (they earned my business with that). That might actually happen after the T-Mobile experiment.

That Xavier Niel guy offered $15 billion cash for control of T-Mo USA and was talking about bring over the French $3/month cell contract model. His people crunched the numbers and still saw significant profit if they dropped 75% of plans to $3/month. Plans that people are paying $50-60/month for.

That is the level of greed involved in the telecommunications industry.
    Last edited by mrmouth; September 15, 2014 at 08:03 PM.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post

who still experiences delays while multitasking though? especially if you have fiber optic, multitasking should be absolutely no problem right now. i only have 40 mbps and i honestly think paying for more than that is glutinous, especially if it's just one or two people using the connection. i can safely stream 4K resolution youtube videos while doing other things and nothing is affected.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

i only have 40 mbps and i honestly think paying for more than that is glutinous
    Only 40 mbps!

That's the exact problem. The sheer number of people not covered under those speeds and even more, the ludicrous amount of money they charge for it.

The cheapest logical option we have is 6mbps down with 1mbps up for $50/month. That is in the third largest city in the country. There is no way Im paying Verizon fiber prices and google wont touch Chicago with a ten foot pole.

I actually just wish it was like $20/month because it's all we need. I mean my mother had 3mbps with Time Warner for $15/month and she can stream Netflix just fine. I have no idea what these people are paying $75+ for, aside from securing the generational wealth of the white shirts who run those companies.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    Only 40 mbps!

That's the exact problem. The sheer number of people not covered under those speeds and even more, the ludicrous amount of money they charge for it.

The cheapest logical option we have is 6mbps down with 1mbps up for $50/month. That is in the third largest city in the country. There is no way Im paying Verizon fiber prices and google wont touch Chicago with a ten foot pole.

I actually just wish it was like $20/month because it's all we need. I mean my mother had 3mbps with Time Warner for $15/month and she can stream Netflix just fine. I have no idea what these people are paying $75+ for, aside from securing the generational wealth of the white shirts who run those companies.
    My city (like many/most in Colorado) has given exclusive cable rights to Comcast who charge me $125/mo for internet (otherwise they would.... take their cable and go home? No matter that 5 minutes away from me out of the city limit people have access to a number of fiber optic and cable internet options Comcast keeps out of my neighborhood). My cheapest alternative is 1.5 mbps for about $60.

This is all despite the fact that there is a major state university in my town and a slew of tech companies throughout the Front Range (who all of course have access to whatever isp they want I'm sure).

The truly insane part of this is that in the mid 90's we had a referendum statewide that would have banned cities from entering into such exclusive contracts with cable companies and people voted against it/their own interests for what?!

Because I'm sure cable companies threatened to raise their prices, just like insurance companies and every other industry that price gauges and has government in their pockets.

Obama to the FCC: Adopt ‘the strongest possible rules’ on net neutrality, including Title II

This seems promising. Take that, Verizon! Right in the kisser.

I'll laugh if they ignore him.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Although Tom Wheeler, Chairman of the FCC, is trying to dodge President Obama on this issue, polling shows that both Democrats and Republicans overwhelmingly support net neutrality. Let me repeat: both Democrats and Republicans. The jury is in as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately Verizon has a bigger share in the say than all of us do, because money talks in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Although Tom Wheeler, Chairman of the FCC, is trying to dodge President Obama on this issue, polling shows that both Democrats and Republicans overwhelmingly support net neutrality. Let me repeat: both Democrats and Republicans. The jury is in as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately Verizon has a bigger share in the say than all of us do, because money talks in politics.
    The only politicians who wouldn't support net neutrality would the ones heavily funded by the big telecoms like Time Warner, Verizon and Comcast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast