Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cities: Skylines

Default Cities: Skylines

Cities: Skylines announced by Cities In Motion developer
    It's janitorial time at PCG Towers, as we mop up the last few stories of Gamescom. Here's one: the announcement of Cities: Skylines, the new game from the people behind Cities In Motion. This time, rather than create and manage the transport system of pre-built city, you'll create and manage every aspect of a non-pre-built city.

"Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order invite players to create the cities of their dreams in Cities: Skylines," explains the description, "a massive city simulator from the creators of the Cities in Motion series." The developer also promises mod support and "massive maps", which is a pretty loaded feature when set against a certain other city sim.

In fact, that's not the only way they're taking aim at the latest Sim City. In case you missed it, this is a screen from the trailer:

That's a feature now, it would seem.

Cities: Skyline is due out in 2015. You can find more details at its official site.
    This is amazing news. Seems like an other developer is learning from the mistakes of the genre giant, SimCity. Though I always saw the latest SimCity as an evolutionary step to test the capabilities of a new system. Cities: Skyline seems to be avoiding to be overly innovative and just provide a game for the capabilities of today. No, that's not a negative thing.

Watch the trailer. It looks gorgeous. It seems to have everything we love from a city builder. Especially the large scale. While you could only use one 2 km x 2km fixed slot in SimCity you can use 9 of these slots next to each other in Cities: Skyline which translates to a 9 km x 9 km slot or 36 kmsq.

Their reddit AMA provides a lot of information. Here is the transcript.

Some pictures from the game website:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Main features from the game website:City policies:

• Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
    • City policies: Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
    • City districts: Personalize city districts with names of your choice for variety and personality.
    • Road building and zoning
    • Unlock buildings and services
    • Taxation: Fine-tuning the city budget and services and setting tax rates to different residential, commercial and industrial levels and controlling what kind of areas are more likely to spawn in the zoned areas
    • Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros
    • Outside connections: Make industry and commercial districts flourish with new customers in the neighboring cities
    • Wonders: the ultimate end-game content that the players strive towards
    • Huge maps: Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city
    • Water flow simulation: Add new challenges to water services.
    • Polished visual style and core gameplay
    • Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.
    The Armenian Issue

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Cities: Skylines

i am looking forward to it immensely. i didnt bother with the last simcity because of online-only and small little box maps.

I want a proper city builder and i hope its as moddable as the old simcities were - lots of awesome custom buildings to suit ur wish for a british city, Mediterranean city, south american slum.. so on so forth heh.
    Last edited by Carach; September 18, 2014 at 01:30 PM.

Samraat Mahendra Maurya's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow! That's lovely!
    Ich bin Kaiser von mauryan reiches

Artifex

Now I'm interested. In contrast to CitiesXL, this game has proper units (KW for electricity instead of stupid tokens) and drawing parcels is more elegant and natural than placing set buildings for certain social classes.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

i have play citiesXL, its not bad realy , hem skylines its quite good anyways
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

A new trailer surfaced:
    The Armenian Issue

Another video is published. This time they had a gameplay session using Twitch.

Also, there are developer diaries that are full of explanations and screenshots:

Cities: Skylines - Dev Diary 1: Roads

Cities: Skylines - Dev Diary 2: Zoning

Cities: Skylines – Dev Diary 3: Natural resources

Few things that caught my attention:

They have a quite advanced water model. It's flow has an effect in the game. You can use a river as a water source but you can also use it to dump sewer. You need to take into account the flow to make sure you don't have your residents drink sewage water.

They didn't touch it but I saw a deathcare label next to healthcare. Never seen a city game include that service before which is an added realism.

You can create districts and determine the policies that will govern them. Some of the policies I've seen are Pet Ban, Recylcing, Power Usage, Water Usage, Smoke Detector Distribution, etc. Sort of like the policies we had in SimCity but this time you can apply them on specific districts.

Roads seems to have a lot of options. They're as detailed as having trees in between opposing lanes or just grass.

They plan to support up to 1 million inhabitants. A quite low number for the size of map they're shooting for.
    The Armenian Issue

Cities: Skylines – Dev Diary 4: Public Transport

Why not a few more screenshots?

Last edited by PointOfViewGun; November 13, 2014 at 05:35 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

Cities: Skylines - Dev Diary 5: Outside Connections

The Armenian Issue

cheers for posting this up. i am following them.

It's turning up to be an amazing game. I'll keep posting updates as long as I can.
    The Armenian Issue

Samraat Mahendra Maurya's Avatar Campidoctor

Thank you very much! Look good, hopefully not as complex as EU4!
    Ich bin Kaiser von mauryan reiches

They an other Twitch stream lately:

Cities: Skylines – Dev Diary 6: Map Editor

There is a new website now.

A new trailer:

A few more shots:

Cities: Skylines – Hope For Heartbroken SimCity Fans?

Preview and Interview from RockPaperShotgun.
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; December 23, 2014 at 06:39 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

IZob's Avatar Citizen

hhhhhhnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg

I might just get this game, and that's a big compliment as I rarely get new games these days. I wonder what the system requirements will be? Another reason to get a new computer...

You guys should support Paradox here: http://www.citiesskylines.com/ if you haven't already.
    Last edited by IZob; January 05, 2015 at 08:27 PM.

New diary: Cities: Skylines - Dev Diary 7: Simulation

The Armenian Issue

Cyrene's Avatar Vicarius

SimCity wasn't a failure afterall, it actually triggered the rise of another Franchise, well done i guess, hope Colossal use this well..
    Last edited by Cyrene; January 12, 2015 at 03:36 PM.

Emperor PooMan's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Samraat Mahendra Maurya View Post
    Thank you very much! Look good, hopefully not as complex as EU4!
    EU4 is not really all that complex.

New diary: Cities: Skylines – Dev Diary 8: Districts and policies

The Armenian Issue

a lot of greyish blue buildings.. kind of needs a bit more flavour in that regard but otherwise im looking forward to this sooooo much

KR153's Avatar Semisalis

It is true, this seems to have a lot of gameplay aspects that CXL was lacking since start. The simulation in whole is way better detailed and organized.
    That however only makes my disappointment even bigger since they skipped other aspects that other titles had for years.
    - No tunnels.... really? A city builder without the ability to tunnel your streets.... well.... that stoinks
    - No night. I like the night version of cities way better than days. Although that is of course a personal fondness, it has also a gameplay aspect for your sims and the traffic of course.
    - It doesn´t look THAT great.... Compared to older titles it should take at least a little step further. Everything looks like made out of cardboard.
    - Traffic sim still buggy? On some screens you can clearly see that cars pile up on one single lane when they should spread over all possible lanes. Let´s see what we get there...
    - Highways and especially the intersection just look god awful... just.... nope.
    - What are the promised modding tools? Although the announced those from day one we still have absolutely zero infos about what we get, IF anything. All they said was that the FBX format would be supported.... pfffffff!
    NIE WEDDER SLAAV VUN ROM!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast