Thread: IB2 IBFD II Developments

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: IB2 IBFD II Developments

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    He's not quite dead!
    If that be the case, then he'll be receiving HUGE...tracks of land:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    It doesn't matter how many times I watch that movie, nothing but hysterical insane sounding laughter
    sio
    This is the Eurasian Bear of 5th century Britain

The Slavs. The city will be lager and the Kingdom a bit larger and Basil might want to change the banner lol
    I'm not too incredibly fussed about the banners, to be honest, considering how banners, although important to the medieval battlefield considering the traditions of heraldry, weren't really the mainstay of battlefields in antiquity, right? At least not as far as Celtic, Germanic, and Slavic tribes were concerned, correct? I mean, obviously the Romans had banners, as well as the Parthians and their successors the Sassanids (if I remember correctly, it is said they had great bright banners made of Chinese silk at the Battle of Carrhae, in order to show off and intimidate the army of Crassus but also perhaps for practical purposes of signaling or conveniently identifying their own troops). In either case, I look forward to the awesome looking banners of the Western and Eastern Roman Empires.

Speaking of silk from Han China, I am well aware that the Romans used it for luxury clothing (the translucent variety causing some scandal during the reign of Augustus), but like the Parthians, did they use this material at all for banners like the vexillum? One would think it would have been way too expensive, and that dying wool would have sufficed. What kind of cloth fabric was used? Was it simply wool?

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

It's "Tracts" not "Tracks".

Also, those are fake: the muscle doesn't connect at the armpit. It's how you can tell. In fact they appear to be photoshopped as well.

(If you want to know how I know that, you learn a lot of things from desperate nerds when you're playing Halo on the campus Xbox.)
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; July 02, 2015 at 06:29 PM.

Lets get back on topic gentlemen. Aetius, as a Civitate I expect a little more from you.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I guess you could say I got... sidetracted.

(That was bad and I should feel bad, I know).

Back on topic:

Lusi Africam Vandalorum et Conquestum Britanniae sed notitiae militis austerum perciperant. Varietatemne in futuris notitiis erint?

I played AV and CB but the unit rosters (particularly the Roman ones) seemed bland. Will there be more variety in future rosters?

Speaking of silk from Han China, I am well aware that the Romans used it for luxury clothing (the translucent variety causing some scandal during the reign of Augustus), but like the Parthians, did they use this material at all for banners like the vexillum? One would think it would have been way too expensive, and that dying wool would have sufficed. What kind of cloth fabric was used? Was it simply wool?
    Nadeem would know.

EDIT: Actually you may want to read up on the Avars. Procopius I do believe mentions silk several times when discussing their manner of dress (which is "in the hunnic custom in all ways but in the manner of their hair"), and although the Strategikon says nothing about their standards I wouldn't put silk Draco socks or banners out of the question.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; July 02, 2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Forgot the question indicator on "Varietatem"

(That was bad and I should feel bad, I know).

Back on topic:

Lusi Africam Vandalorum et Conquestum Britanniae sed notitiae militis austerum perceperant. Varietatemne in futuris notitiis erint?

I played AV and CB but the unit rosters (particularly the Roman ones) seemed bland. Will there be more variety in future rosters?

Nadeem would know.
    Qui c'est votre estes tres grand et magnificent. And please speak in Anglais on this forum
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 02, 2015 at 07:45 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Your post glitched Rio. No text below the quote.

EDIT:

Qui c'est votre estes tres grand et magnificent.
    I don't speak french but from what I can piece together this more or less says "They will be great and magnificent". If so that's fantastic to hear.

My issue with the rosters in AV and CB was that the recruitment options felt just like RTW:BI where you have Limitanei, Comitatenses, Plumbatarii, etc. and that was it. I like simplicity but that was too simple, IMO.

However, I frankly don't want the convoluted mess of random units that was IB:VGR (no offense). There seemed to be no system or consistency to the recruitment of units and it seemed like you were trying to squeeze in as many different shield patterns as possible without taking into consideration that regiments had several different types of soldiers.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm hoping for something like IB:SAI, where what unit you get is based on the region, and all the different infantry units are paired with a skirmisher unit of the same shield pattern and stuff.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; July 02, 2015 at 07:52 PM.

Your post glitched Rio. No text below the quote.
    I what? look again lol

Nadum I am hoping to reel back in soon for we need him now
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 02, 2015 at 07:56 PM.

You are entitled to your opinion Aetius and I respect that as good criticism but remember the 5th century Britain and even the portion of the Roman Empire was no longer the Roman Empire of IB SAI. I would be doing a diservice to the place and time historically to put it in that same context. Its what you or others want to play as a player that matters. The point is the 5th century was still grand and the mod as a whole will be grand.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

While I certainly agree on the status of 5th Century Britain and Aremorica as a hodgepodge of former Roman units (there were roughly 30,000 men in Britain in 405 AD, that doesn't disappear overnight) and local militias, the Western Roman military is a different case. Based on the little archaeological evidence left and the vague mentions in textual sources, they both seem to indicate that the field army/Limitanei were still following the pattern set up under the Notitia Dignitatum in 395-419 AD.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    It doesn't matter how many times I watch that movie, nothing but hysterical insane sounding laughter
    sio
    This is the Eurasian Bear of 5th century Britain

The Slavs. The city will be lager and the Kingdom a bit larger and Basil might want to change the banner lol
    Glad to see Slavs in game. What connection has the Eurosian bear with 5th century Britain? It seems I am missing something apparently.. Anyway the banner looks really good

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    Glad to see Slavs in game. What connection has the Eurosian bear with 5th century Britain? It seems I am missing something apparently.. Anyway the banner looks really good
    The Bear in Domnonia is just something I'm messing around with as the symbol of the quasi King, Arthur or Artorius, the bear. The region probably under Ambrosius and its strong ties to Arthur. Basil might changing many of the banners.
    Beyond the Danube, the Slavs, Lombards, Ostrogoths, Germanic Saxons, Alemanni and Huns, we have thus far. We will add the Gepids, Thuringia and then possibly Bulgars, Rugians, and Avars
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 03, 2015 at 06:51 AM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I realise of course your limited to slots for factions, but would you perhaps consider splitting the Bulgar's into Kutrigurs and Utigurs; Slavs into Antes and Sklaveni?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Antiochus Philopappos View Post
    I realise of course your limited to slots for factions, but would you perhaps consider splitting the Bulgar's into Kutrigurs and Utigurs; Slavs into Antes and Sklaveni?
    I moved some posts to a new thread that appeared to becoming a debate over Bulgar origins. So please look see(all who see this) there if to debate. To answer your question Gaius, we will certainly as a team seriously consider it.

It's "Tracts" not "Tracks".

Also, those are fake: the muscle doesn't connect at the armpit. It's how you can tell. In fact they appear to be photoshopped as well.

(If you want to know how I know that, you learn a lot of things from desperate nerds when you're playing Halo on the campus Xbox.)
    Goddamn, dude, you're thorough. Thanks for the spelling correction, and the booby correction. Quite frankly I'm only able to tell once I get a good look to see if the nipples have been stretched out or not. That's the most obvious sign of a boob job.

Nadeem would know.

EDIT: Actually you may want to read up on the Avars. Procopius I do believe mentions silk several times when discussing their manner of dress (which is "in the hunnic custom in all ways but in the manner of their hair"), and although the Strategikon says nothing about their standards I wouldn't put silk Draco socks or banners out of the question.
    Who is Nadeem? How do I reach him? By phone? Email? Raven? Hidden Soviet numerical coded message on microfilm placed delicately between the two flat sides of a US nickel? Or you, know, I could just PM this mysterious guy.

I NEED TO KNOW! DAMN YOU ROMANS, WHAT DID YOU MAKE YOUR BANNERS OUT OF? Certainly wasn't polyester.

Thanks once again, Riothamus, for updating us on the mod. Feed us more, please! We're hungry! And impatient! But appreciate! And awe-inspired!

EDIT: WOW! That's a lot of emoticons for one post. Sorry bout that.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Who is Nadeem? How do I reach him? By phone? Email? Raven? Hidden Soviet numerical coded message on microfilm placed delicately between the two flat sides of a US nickel? Or you, know, I could just PM this mysterious guy.
    You can pm Naddun Here. He is IB II Sassanian and Eastern Faction Expert.

While I certainly agree on the status of 5th Century Britain and Aremorica as a hodgepodge of former Roman units (there were roughly 30,000 men in Britain in 405 AD, that doesn't disappear overnight) and local militias, the Western Roman military is a different case. Based on the little archaeological evidence left and the vague mentions in textual sources, they both seem to indicate that the field army/Limitanei were still following the pattern set up under the Notitia Dignitatum in 395-419 AD.
    I know what the Magister wants. I have created about 5 units each of each Diocesi both East and West. The West have 4 palatina units, Herculani, Iovani, Lanceri Sabariensis and Pannonicani. Comitatenis units like the Fortensis, II Britannica, Septimani, Undecimani, Flavia Constantiana, and off course Auxila Palatina, and the list goes on. If Rio and the team are willing to add them to IBFD II, I will create a patch for the mod. Will post some pictures of the Units for all to see. Also I changed the equipment of some units to show their higher status.

Cheers
    Last edited by Reno Melitensis; July 04, 2015 at 07:25 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ha, awesome Reno.

BTW my "O" key isn't working so don't expect any long posts from me for a while.

[*Everyone sighs in relief*]

I heard that...

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Melitensis View Post

I know what the Magister wants. I have created about 5 units each of each Diocesi both East and West. The West have 4 palatina units, Herculani, Iovani, Lanceri Sabariensis and Pannonicani. Comitatenis units like the Fortensis, II Britannica, Septimani, Undecimani, Flavia Constantiana, and off course Auxila Palatina, and the list goes on. If Rio and the team are willing to add them to IBFD II, I will create a patch for the mod. Will post some pictures of the Units for all to see. Also I changed the equipment of some units to show their higher status.

Cheers
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 04, 2015 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Melitensis View Post
    Thanks, I PMd that dude. Hopefully he'll get back to me.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Goodness I'd love to play this mod ASAP!

THREAD BUMP TIME!

Invasio Barbarorum is number one! Number one! Number one! Invasio Barbarorum, number one!

Take me out to the mod game
    Take me and the whole TWC crowd

Don't need no DLCs or PC Upgrades
    I don't care how much money Attila TW's made

Let me root, root, root for the IB Team
    If they don't release this mod soon it's a shame

For it's one, two, three months and more
    I've been waiting for this awesome modded game!

Emperor Commodus gives the waiting period two thumbs down!