Thread: Any tips for a first player?

Default Any tips for a first player?

Hi everyone, i started with Empire today for the very first time, i did both battle tutorials and started a short campaign with Prussians.

But the thing is, my background is entirely from MTW and RTW. This engine is different and although it has the feel from previous total war games, there is a lot of differences. The tutorials gave me a good base to battles, but the campaign part is more complex than before.

I don't want to look like a lazy guy, i like to search for informations about the gameplay and so on, but i rather learn from my mistakes before jumping in any guides or "how to play" videos.

The reason for this topic is to ask for aid to those who has a good experience in this title, I was about to post in frequently asked threads but i read about some limitations over there about tactical questions, well, i would be very happy if anyone could tell me any tips about the game in general, the campaign map, the big differences from previous TW games, some tips for my beginning with Prussians and any strategy for my early game. Also, anyone feel free to give any other type of tips at all, about anything that could be useful for a first time player.

I want to thank everyone previously and apologize if i wasn't able to create a thread like this.

Default Re: Any tips for a first player?

check ministers and re-arrange and/or replace as needed
    as a principle, set lower class tax to lowest to spawn more cities and avoid revolts, and set upper class tax to medium.
    schools causes unrest, so build them in regions that have observatories and churches, or can spawn cities-churches,
    to offset the unhappiness
    i try to get 1 school in enlightment, 1 in agriculture, and 1 in infantry ASAP, with an aim of ~8 schools in total,
    on enlightment, first get the university in the further-left field, then the economics in the further-right field,
    avoid teching for modern university in the middle field, it increases unrest in all regions with schools,
    if you are lucky, Wurtenburg will have built one so you never have to research it

for preussia i prefer blitz, it already has plug bayonet researched, good starting units & generals,
    and has the best line infantry, and an outstanding justice minister that suppress newly conquered regions
    AI can not respond in a timely manner against this
    Hannover has always been a trusty ally to my preussian kingdom,
    dont bother with naval research for preussia until you own most of Europe
    Last edited by poa; September 08, 2014 at 05:46 AM.
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

Gun powder makes the game very different from RTW and MTW so try a few custom battles first to train.

For an easier later game, do revolutions, to become a Constitutional Monarchy. In this game the CM government has the easiest game play, since a lot of late game unhappiness techs and buildings do not affect the CM. So you can research any tech you want, and build every building you want to max, even in a provinces with a lot of factories, you do not need to leave any garrison, other then those cheap spawned troops.
    Riddle me this, riddle me that:
    Who was my first commander?
    How many of me are active right now?
    And who drank a Delacourt '27 when received the commandership of me?

yes, i recently discovered CM is broken, and i'm unable to create a lower class for them,
    i will make another try and make research very slow with very high unhappiness to balance things out

CM is not broken. Each government only can have Upper and Lower Class. AM has nobility and lower class, Republic has middle class and lower class, and CM has nobility and middle class. It was made like that, which means the CM, in the vanilla game, is the best government format.

yes, best government because somehow CM didnt get any lower class, the class that causes problems,
    now all of the sudden no amount of industrialization causes any sort of side effect.
    I did my best to rectify it, partly cause i want more rebels popping up, partly because its unbalanced, partly because i want less money for all factions,
    (i found how to prevent/delay factories from leveling up (very poor, wealthy, etc))
    i'm unable to create a lower class for CM, but i intend to at least even things out through penalty to research
    Last edited by poa; September 08, 2014 at 08:04 PM.

A company located in a country with a modified CM government, even in the present day, why would you not think that they would make CM the best government in the game. That is why for my 4, and almost a 5th completed campaign, I was CM.

Thanks for the tips.

The game is more complex than i expected, i'm playing in a slow pace, few turns per day. They did a excellent job with the lore, i spent a lot of time reading about the things.