Thread: Best Government Building To Build?

The Unknown General's Avatar Centenarius

Default Best Government Building To Build?

I just downloaded the mod and Piterx93's CAI today, starting my first short campaign as the Pritanoi. While I played the first Europa Barbarom, I never played it in depth due to RTW's one recruitment slot. So as the Pritanoi you can choose between Military Occupation and Allied Government, but AG seems to be a better choice. According to MO you can only build limited buildings, while AG theres a penalty for income. So what should I build for newly conquered settlements? Also is the official new BAI, compatible with Piter's or the official CAI?

Default Re: Best Government Building To Build?

For newly conquered, Allied Government is generally better during the transition as the populace get used to the new order. Change things later when you run out of things to build.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    For newly conquered, Allied Government is generally better during the transition as the populace get used to the new order. Change things later when you run out of things to build.
    Do Allied Government buildings get destroyed, when I build Military Occupation? Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of using my capital, as my army producing city. At the start of the game its my best built and only settlement, so it makes sense to build it up militarily.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown General View Post
    Do Allied Government buildings get destroyed, when I build Military Occupation? Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of using my capital, as my army producing city. At the start of the game its my best built and only settlement, so it makes sense to build it up militarily.
    You can't have two government buildings. You have to destroy the old one in order to build a new one. That doesn't affect anything else you've built, though.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You can't have two government buildings. You have to destroy the old one in order to build a new one. That doesn't affect anything else you've built, though.
    Alright thanks. Just one more question, Piterx93's CAI and the new BAI compatible?

delra's Avatar Praepositus

For Pritanoi, just build the main tribal government right away. Don't bother with allied governments on the island, everything is too close to give you grief.

You will build allied governments in Brittany, Belgium and Normandy when you start crossing the channel.

Whats the difference between a democracy and oligarchy allied government? From the five minutes of playing I did last night, they seemed to have similar bonuses. I'm guessing democracy is more militarily oriented, while oligarchy is more economical.

Whats the difference between a democracy and oligarchy allied government? From the five minutes of playing I did last night, they seemed to have similar bonuses. I'm guessing democracy is more militarily oriented, while oligarchy is more economical.
    Oligarchy gives you cavalry, democracy gives you infantry. The difference is at most 2-3 units.

One is cheaper but takes longer to build, the other one being the opposite (forgot which one is the cheaper). Indeed, bonuses are just about the same, it only makes a big difference in recruitment.

Democratic enables units of somewhat lesser quality, but cheaper and greater in numbers (units of the people), and oligarchy will grant you some more elite units (the units of the nobilty), but they are obviously more expensive and harder to come by. Of course, these are vast generalizations, as the actual recruitment varies according to province, owning faction, gov level and culture rate. So, yeah, kinda complex, you might imagine

C

Can you change culture with Allied or Oligarchic government? I conquered Tylis as Macedonia and I am thinking which way to go and get the most profit (and fastest way possible) of it's sweet gold mines, but majority of the settlements population are barbarians, which causes a bad culture penalty to stability. Then I noticed that the are local garrisons (or whatever they where called..) and they change culture, but do they change culture to hellenistic polities or to tribalism? What should I build to hasten the hellenisation of Tylis (and other settlements with barbarians, like Niassos ja Dalminion.)

I just downloaded the mod and Piterx93's CAI today, starting my first short campaign as the Pritanoi. While I played the first Europa Barbarom, I never played it in depth due to RTW's one recruitment slot. So as the Pritanoi you can choose between Military Occupation and Allied Government, but AG seems to be a better choice. According to MO you can only build limited buildings, while AG theres a penalty for income. So what should I build for newly conquered settlements? Also is the official new BAI, compatible with Piter's or the official CAI?
    I suggest you build MO in a region that you think is a part of a homeland's faction, yes it can be a limitation in building construction but, after a certain number of turns and if you improve the settlement you'll be able to build an authentic government building and your culture influence grows much faster, for the AG government type, your influence is lower and you can't have the finest military units of your faction (only local units), i suggest you build the AG in regions that can only be considered as vassals
    this is for sure a general rule that i use when i'm playing this mod!

The main difference is that Oligarchy means Law. Which means you want it in distant settlements quite badly.

In the British isles go factional govt. They are all the same culture, so it's a piece of cake, and you get the complete British unit roster. The Allied Govts only give you British units in the British Isles, so you gain nothing significant from them, as you suffer little corruption there.

Outside of the British Isles, you can only build Allied Governments. The Gaulish and German units are better than the British, so it's no great loss. Build Democratic Allied for happiness and infantry (takes longer but costs less to build), and Oligarchic for law and cavalry. You're going to want law more than happiness, but those Gaulish infantry are soooo sweet.

If you look at Normandy and Brittany, you have four settlements there, so basically just set up three democratic tribes and one oligarchic. Then you can train a proper Gaulish stack between them every 8-12 turns or so.

Allied Government is great if you're blitzing and don't wanna leave behind much of a garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Wallyer View Post
    Allied Government is great if you're blitzing and don't wanna leave behind much of a garrison.
    Or if you're roleplaying a gentler transition of power than having a military dictatorship imposed over the top of the conquered peoples. This will work better when we have Client Rulers again.

Thanks for all your help. I managed to unite all of the united kingdom under my banner, although it was too easy. Right now I'm building up my infrastructure before I invade the mainland.