Pink : Dagashnesti
    Dagashnesti

Desha-Forinesti

wip

Naka-Cerayanesti

wip

Subgroups

Hana-Wodanesti/Gladesmen :
    An offshoot of the Desha-Forinesti who have adopted many Falinesti and even a few Arionic influences in comparison to the Desha-Forinesti who have little to no foreign influence. Located in the eastern Yugushiral, bordering the Bechenesti lands, the Hana-Wodanesti live in a semi-clan system kept from when they were like the Bechenesti, divided into numerous petty states ruled by a clan chief fighting each other, some Bechenesti, and the emerging unified Desha-Forinesti kingdom to the west. The clan chiefs now have noble titles and turned their hill forts into castles, but clan ties and feuds play a strong role in local politics, with local skirmishes being a relatively common event. Hana-Wodanesti cuisine is derived from their main crops of cabbage, maize, and the potato(picked up from the Bechenesti), meat from livestock or game with some river fish or seafood for coastal settlements like Ravenborg, and berries/nuts/mushrooms from the remaining forests of the Glades.
    Noble Houses :
    Kyffin - Ai-Magans of the Glades following swearing fealty to the Beaniques. Sigil is an orange sunburst on argent.
    Ravenborg - One of the former rulers of a moderately sized kingdom, now Mulans of Ravenborg, the main port of the Hana-Wodanesti. Sigil is a viking raven. Rumored to be descended from a Borvanesti adventurer from the initial migration of the Falinesti into the Yugushiral.
    Kyrashnesti :
    Residing on the northernmost island of the Dragon Sea, the Kyrashnesti are the closest living example of the Nazonesti, being descended from Teisarian colonists who intermarried with the Nazonesti in the centuries following their initial arrival to Khio Na from Essita-En. Eventual contact with the Borvanesti would see them adopt several Borvanesti traditions, such as hunting with a wooden club(that they would come to militarize by adding iron spikes to for their raiders) seals and other animals along with their traditional throwing spears. The greatest impact they would have on history is the Wokou raids from their island, until forced to swear fealty to the Nakatomi in the 4700s. Kyrashnesti cuisine is predominately seafood, game, and the few berries and plants they can grow/find on the island prepared usually as a stew or wrapped in a plant leaf or seaweed before being cooked over an open fire or eaten raw.
    Noble House : Only one, Yukimura. Their sigil is a white deer, after the house's founder supposedly hunted one down to feed the colony during their first winter on the island.
    (wip name) :
    Last edited by Xion; November 13, 2014 at 02:45 PM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: [BAW 2.0] Chapter III

Yet another update, adding the Fa-Telanesti in the south. Tbh, I thought I'd lost everything I wrote on these guys when my laptop ran out of juice late last night and was just about ready to give up on 'em when I woke up this morning, but nope TWC fortunately saved everything! Anyway, I'll try to get at least one more group up today & the game thread tonight.

And the Geghanesti have also been added now.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The Three Gamli Tribes

Farvi: Men of the Mountains

History

Driven across Anvakhano in ancient times, the Gamli tribesmen split into three groups: One settled the Varmak Valley at the mouth of the Red Blood dispersing into the native population, one was pushed south into the Kontinuel Waste, and the last settled the inhospitable and frosted peaks of the Mònglas. The men of the Varmak bare almost no resemblance to their Gamli ancestors, and the Kontinuel tribesmen have been shaped by the unfortunate circumstances of their unwelcoming home, but the Farvi, for better or worse, have changed little since those ancient days of yore.

- Excerpt from Wilders: Histories and Folklore of our Southern Neighbors, by Ra’shina Vestoria, Dean at the University of Khazad, 900 AK

It is rare to encounter one of the blood outside of the dead of a winter’s night, unless one happens to be traveling through the Mònglas such as we. These tribesmen are unsurprisingly skilled hunters and fierce combatants who revel in battle and bloodshed both. Its unquestioned tradition for them to raid the lowlands surrounding the Mònglas during winter, under the cover of seasonal storms that come from the north. These barbarians will attack anyone not of their kin traversing the mountains, how these Sharvin trade caravans march through the Mònglas' passes unmolested remains a mystery to me.

….
    They seem to prefer chain link mail to the heavier cast armor worn by our soldiers - the reasoning becomes clear after spending a week truding through half frozen snow drifts - and favor axes and spears to swords, I assume to conserve metals. Their bows are heavy and sturdy things, with long shafts capable of piercing a shield - or a man caught unawares - at great distance. If cultural academics brought along on this campaign are to be believed the Farvi live simple lives of subsistence in these mountains, but that simply can't be the case as the weapons and armor used by these barbarians is of finer make than any nomadic herdsmen could craft - another mystery to add to the pile. Resistance has been surprisingly light but from what little battle I’ve seen here traditional tactics and formations may not be an option here. The terrains too rough, there’s too little room for our men to maneuver and it leaves too many opportunities for the enemy to take advantage of our weak spots - I’ll look into remedies in the near future. Reinforcements would be most appreciated to speed along the conquest.
    ….
    The reinforcements you sent took some casualties attempting to reach our encampment, fifteen percent, but no matter their number should suffice. I’m starting to think the birds are tracking our movements, watching us and relaying our location to the Farvi. I’ve ordered my men to shoot any birds on sight just in case, can't be too careful. Still I’ve never seen an enemy maneuver this quickly before, they have us chasing shadows from one ruined fortress to the next and all we find is the smoking embers of their campfires - but they can't hide from us forever. Whatever the case I've come to the conclusion that there’s no room for traditional formation or tactics in these constricting passes, morale is wavering but I’ll ensure that the men tow the line - I still believe that the Mònglas Highlands can be taken for the Republic and with them under heel Sharva will fall soon after.
    ….
    I ordered the birds shot, even put a bounty on each one the boys could bring me, and it worked for a short time. By now though they’ve grown wise to our tactic and keep their distance, but they can still see us. Haven't seen a single one of those damned painted bastards in weeks now but they’ve been cutting our supply lines from the shadows and every morning we wake up to a score of ours dead from arrow shot and dozens more from the cold. They move through these mountains with such speed such grace its almost as if they’re one of the beasts native to these mountains, but even the most dangerous beasts can be slain. Morale is at an all time low and discipline is beginning to break down among the rank and file, but I’ll draw a harder line - this campaign can be saved. We just need more reinforcements.
    ….
    Snow drifts have moved and we’re now trapped for the foreseeable future, I’d lay blame on the Farvi but they don't command the weather. We will fortify some of these Farvian holdfasts and wait out the winter here, or at least wait until these snow drifts move. We are cut off from supplies but you needn't concern yourselves - we’ll forage what we can, the Farvi do it so why can't we?
    ….
    Its cold, no food..no wood for the fires. I see them in my dreams, painted and terrible. They’re coming to finish us soon, I can feel it. Like damned vultures circling, always circling. Always waiting just out of view. This was their plan from the beginning. And it worked, it will always work. I leave this to posterity, Mònglas cannot be conquered. Not as long as the bitter bite of the winter and the Farvi call it home.

- Excerpts from Firsthand accounts of General Ba’sharan Shara on the Failed Khazic Subjugation of the Farvi, 958 AK

They were one of the three Gamli tribes that came from far western Anvakhano, theorized by some to be Nawafor, in ancient times. Although often, and incorrectly, referred to as a single entity the Farvi are actually numerous groups of small tribes who operate independently of one another and only rarely cooperate in any meaningful fashion. The only unifying concepts that the Farvi share are their beliefs, their culture, and a deep hatred for everything associated with the Arionic Empire.

- Excerpt from A brief letter regarding the peoples along the southern border written to Emperor Hasdin I, by Nios, Professor of Southern Barbarian Peoples at the University of Arion, 290 IY

Religion

The chief Farvian gods are undoubtedly Wòch The Mother of Mountains, Glasyè Frostsbite, and The Lord of the Skies; among those three it is clear that Wòch and The Lord of the Skies take prominence. Wòch The Mother of Mountains is the eldest and strongest of all the gods and everything that stems from the earth’s bounty is given by her grace. It is by her benevolence that the mountains teem with game and berries and fields are green for the grazing of goats and sheep. The Farvi are vague, perhaps purposefully so, when it comes to the nature Wòch; that is to say they never explicitly state if she is a person in her own right or if she is actually the living embodiment of the earth itself. The Lord of the Skies is god of everything beyond the reach of Wòch’s domain, master of birds, wind, rain, even the air itself. Eagles and vultures are most closely associated with him, though every bird is said to be his silent messenger and loyal servant. Finally Glasyè Frostsbite is the apparent product of an ill fated union between this Mother of Mountains and Lord of Skies; he is master of the bitter colds of ice and steel, it is for this reason that the Farvi respect his power instead of praising his gifts and why they carry his name into battle. Glasyè showcases the limited nature of Farvian gods in that he futilely hunts for his young half-brother Gwomòn the Mountain Serpent, at the behest of his father The Lord of Skies, whom is sheltered by his mother Wòch.

- Excerpt from Strange Customs and Foreign Gods: An Odyssey of the Mind, by Ra’Sha Sha, Arionic born and Khazic bred theologian, 1,450 AK

The Farvi still worship the old gods of their Gamli ancestors, chief among them Wòch The Mother of Mountains, Glasyè Frostsbite, and The Lord of the Skies. The Farvi have an absurdly complex pantheon for such a primitive people, which includes both nature spirits and legendary mortals who have ascended to the heavens. Things are further complicated by the fact that the pantheon varies slightly from hold to hold and even clan to clan, as every family has its own sacred tales and heroes; however, the supremacy of the three “chief” gods is never disputed.

So linked are the Farvi to their beliefs that it is nearly impossible to converse with them, for any length of time, without speaking of their faith at length. This faith is the cornerstone of their collective existence, it fills their lives with meaning, purpose, and sacred implications. They believe as all the Gamli once did: That their gods live in all things, from the greatest mountain peak to the lightest summer’s breeze. Winds from an unexpected direction, birds migrating out of seasons, even the deviations of snow drifting patterns from one winter to the next - these mundane things would seem nothing more than chance to a civilized man such as you or I, but to your average Farvi tribesmen these are significant messages from the gods.

The Farvi gods are less cruel than they are capricious, demanding appeasement for perceived slights rather than wantonly raining misfortune upon their followers. It seems as if luck does not play a part in Farvian tradition, in fact the very thought of ill luck doesn't seem to register in the Farvian mindset, instead they will wonder what god they have offended to bring their misfortune upon them. If a hunting party returns empty handed their first, and only, thought seems to be how they should go about appeasing The Mother of Mountains; So rooted are the Farvi in their tradition that such a hunting party would not venture forth again until they had successfully placated their displeased god, as they stubbornly insist they would undoubtedly fail again.

- Excerpt from
    Heresies, Sacrilege, and Pagans: Enemies to the Faith, by Brother Hadian, Sentinels Priest, Theologian, and Missionary, IY 440

Farvian burials are a gruesome thing involving both post-mortem mutilation and the intentional feeding of human flesh to wild beasts. The first step is for the presiding Shaman to wash the body in a mountain stream, next comes the systematic cutting of the human flesh in a ritualistic pattern that varies from clan to clan and is known only to the Shamen of that particular clan, finally it falls to the closest living blood relative of the deceased to pull apart their departed loved one with their bare hands and lay out the flesh for the messengers of The Skies; most of these so called messengers unsurprisingly turn out to be vultures.

- Excerpt from Foreign Burial Practices, by Brother Hadian, Sentinel Priest, Theologian, and Missionary, IY 453

Despite the importance of faith in their culture the Farvi have no organized religion, no religious hierarchy, and no books or tomes to keep record of their practices. When forced to consider spiritual matters beyond the mundane, the Farvi turn to their shamans, the lore keepers of their mountain home. It is they who watch the migrations of birds seeking wisdom from The Lord Above, they who decipher the ancient runes whose meanings have been lost to history, they who craft the potions that invoke the power of Glasyè allowing for the existence of berserkers, they who keep the old songs of their ancestors and they who retain the knowledge of the proper rites to honor the gods and spirits of the mountains. It is sad to say that the word of the Sentinels means next to nothing in these strange lands. There do seem to be ancient temples scattered about the mountains but most of these are in disrepair as the pagans here prefer to practice their rights under the open skies in the forests and streams their gods call home.

- Excerpt from A brief declaration written to the faithful, by an unnamed Sentinel Priest and Missionary, IY 650

Culture

Permanence is not the way of the Mònglas and as such it is not the way of the Farvi either. Farvi settlements, agreements, even their very lives are all temporary. Since each Farvi hold is made up of several extended family clans, it is not uncommon for Farvi to marry outside their own hold to avoid intermingling with their close relatives. This is seen as a good thing, as it brings in new blood and extends the ties between different Farvi clans and holds. Farvi men secure their brides by kidnapping them and whisking them away to their hold with or without consent. This is expected to be done without informing anyone in your hold or, obviously, in the hold your stealing the bride from - the reasoning for the latter is plainly obvious and the reasoning for the former involves plausible deniability against your actions should your attempt fail. A warrior looking for a mate is expected to prove his skill by slipping into the hold of his desired bride and removing his prize. If caught on his first attempt the warrior can expect a severe beating and the disappointment and/or anger of his hold. If he is caught slipping into the same hold again, though, he is likely to become meat for the offended clan’s sacred beast. It is not uncommon for a warrior to kidnap lowlander women in their raids and take them as serfs. They cannot marry these foreign women but any children they have with them will be welcomed into the clan with open arms - of course those same children cannot be raised by a foreigner and will be raised by the man’s true wife.

- Excerpt from Wilders: Histories and Folklore of our Southern Neighbors, by Ra’shina Vestoria, Dean at the University of Khazad, 900 AK

One of the many talents possessed by the Farvi is a natural skill with falconry, expected considering their high regard for the messengers of the Sky Lord. In peace they use this skill for hunting and in war for scouting. Even a small hunting party will have a mountain eagle or two, intelligent and well trained birds that do their scouting for them. This commonplace use of falconry makes ambushing Farvi warbands nearly impossible, in fact it is far more likely they will watch you from a distances and strike when you are at your weakest. An average Farvi warrior will wear chain linked armor, covered with layers of animal furs, and wield an axe, maul, or spear alongside his Farvi bow that is used for hunting and war.
    ….
    Another interesting thing to note is the nature of the Farvian berserker and Farvi warpaint. The berserker is a skilled warrior that is granted a concoction crafted by the Shamans before battle so that when he enters battles his blind rage will invoke the power of Frostsbite and give him strength beyond a mortal men, fearsome opponents to be certain and the Farvi berserkers have crafted an entire fighting technique surrounding the use of this “battle-rage” in conjunction with two-handed mauls and axes. Unlike the use of berserkers techniques warpaint is actually extremely common among the Farvi, in fact it is rare for foreigners to see Farvi without a thick coat of blue, white, and/or red covering their bodies, armor, faces, and even hair. The paint is thought to invoke the power of the spirits to protect their warriors and is thought of as a second layer of armor.

- Excerpt from The Failed Khazic Subjugation of the Farvi: A Deconstruction of our Downward Spiral, by Vesh’ta Yashma, Professor of Conflict at the University of Khazad, 1010 AK

Bravery, strength and honor are three of the most important traits in the eyes of any Farvi, but even above those three is loyalty - as only loyalty allows for the existence of bravery, strength and honor. In Farvi society loyalty is owed to the gods, to your hold, and to your blood - in that order. If your hold battles another you should be willing to kill your own cousin to see victory, should foreigners invade the mountains and your Jarl is complacent it is expected that you oust him and elect a new Jarl who will confront the invaders as their presence in the Mònglas is an effort to the Mother of Mountains.

- Excerpt from A brief letter regarding the peoples along the southern border written to Emperor Hasdin I, by Nios, Professor of Southern Barbarian Peoples at the University of Arion, 290 IY

As one might assume from the stories told of them the majority Farvi people live in subsistence conditions, with most of their days being spent gathering the necessities of survival with little time given over to pleasurable activities without an immediate practical application. Ornamentation is rare among Farvi-made goods that aren’t religious in nature, though they often steal such things during raids. In practice they prefer well made things over pretty things, as the weather in their mountain home leaves most pretty things in ruin in short order. Now all this begs the question how they arm themselves with such finely crafted weapons and armor, the answer lies in their allies, or ally as it were. The Farvi have an amicable relationship with the men of Sharva, in exchange for allowing their traders free run of the mountain passes the Sharvin merchants gift them weapons and armor crafted by the Sharva’s peerless smiths. But the relationship goes much deeper than that, as many noble Sharvin houses “back” Farvi holds with weapons, arms, and aid in building actual keeps in order to use them as a bulwark against foreign invasion.

- Excerpt from The Men of the Mountains: Union of Sharva and Farvi, by Hana, Aspiring Professor of Foreign Cultural Studies in Arion, 365 IY

Kontinuel: Men of the Wastes
    History

Driven across Anvakhano in ancient times, theGamli tribesmen split into three groups: One settled the Varmak Valley at the mouth of the Red Blood dispersing into the native population, one was pushed south into the Kontinuel Waste, and the last settled the inhospitable and frosted peaks of the Mònglas. The men of the Varmak bare almost no resemblance to their Gamli ancestors, and the Kontinuel tribesmen have been shaped by the unfortunate circumstances of their unwelcoming home, but the Farvi, for better or worse, have changed little since those ancient days of yore.

You hear stories from these damnable Khazads about the Kontinuel tribesmen, they say these men are fierce and dangerous and that they united time and time again to raise armies against their ancient Republic. If true those Kontinuel of yore bear little resemblance to their modern kin. Extremely fractured and, unlike their northern kin, seemingly peaceful - they are content to hold their wastes as generations of their ancestors before them have.

- Excerpt from The Khazic-Kontinuel Wars: Separating Fact from Fiction, by Nios, Professor of Southern Barbarian Peoples at the University of Arion, 290 IY

Religion

Kontinuel religion is a mystery, even to me, but they seem to be animists and ancestor worshipers that focus their belief on long held superstitions and omens. They shape weapons in the likeness of beasts in order to invoke the strength of said animals, a man who kills a beast is seen as having taken on its power. I only met one in my travels but when the time comes to contemplate things of a religious nature the Kontinuel will seek out their witches of the wastes, old wise women and seers who are said to invoke the power of the spirits. True or not these women are skilled herbalists who can craft powerful elixirs, including hallucinogenic and rage inducing concoctions for spiritual enlightenment and blind battle-rage respectively - the later being very similar to concoctions used by Farvi berserkers.
    ….
    Burial seems to be an important part of Kontinuel religion, like the Farvi they remove the flesh from the bone. The eviscerated meat is left for scavengers like vultures and coyotes, the skull is set aside and the rest of the bones are ground up into a fine powder that is fed to the closest same-sex blood relative of the deceased - the idea being they will take on all the attributes possessed by their kin, nothing can be put to waste in these harsh lands. The skull is then carved intricately detailing all the deeds performed by the individual - this carved skull will be kept by the elders of the clan, so the power and guidance of the deceased (now one of the ancestors) might be invoked through it.

- Excerpts from Strange Customs and Foreign Gods: An Odyssey of the Mind, by Ra’Sha Sha, Arionic born and Khazic bred theologian, 1,450 AK

Culture

Despite having lived with them for just under a year Kontinuel culture remains another unanswered mystery. To an outside observer they might seem simple with their nomadic and subsistence based lifestyle but within this harsh world they have found the time to create complex systems that even I can barely grasp. The wastes are filled with markers and signs that lead to hidden caches, tell of oasis locations, and even warn of dangers including foreign invaders - though seemingly meaningful to them these markers are indistinguishable from normal rocks or rubble to you or I. In this way you could spend years roaming the wastes and never find a single tribesmen unless they wished you to find them.
    ….
    Everything these wilders craft seems to bear strange markings and symbols that are indecipherable to any outside the clans. Perhaps these symbols can only be read by the elders, as none of the tribesmen I met would tell me their meaning, or perhaps this form of writing is simply another well guarded secret.
    ….
    Kontinuel artwork is simple revolving mostly around rock totems used by the witches to invoke anything from rain to fertility, pendants and charms carved from animal claws, fangs, and bone and of course their cryptic runic script. They also use their bodies as canvases covering them in strange tattoos with half a hundred sacred implications.
    ….
    Dont let the simplicity or secret nature of their culture fool you for the Kontinuel are wise in their own way, they’ve unmatched skills in herbalism, stealth, and surviving in the harshness of the wastes. They craft a most potent ointment that when put upon the skin allows them to walk under the blazing sun without burning.
    ….
    Though largely a peaceful people their are warriors among the Kontinuel, in fact most are warriors though few practice their craft on others. During the winter seasons they will come out from their wastes and raid nearby Khazic and Aboriginal towns and villages for supplies and materials not found in their home. In battle they seem to favor large mauls and axes and powerful recurved bows with strange and wicked hooked arrows. Though most raid out of necessity my caregivers informed me that some of their clans are less pragmatic, these clans fight to deliberately inflict pain on their victims to appease the crueler animist spirits of the wastes - some are so barbaric that they goes so far as to consume the flesh of other men, a final victory said to absorb any power possessed by the fallen foe.

- Excerpts from Strange Customs and Foreign Gods: An Odyssey of the Mind, by Ra’Sha Sha, Arionic born and Khazic bred theologian, 1,450 AK

Men of the Varmark: The Lost Gamli Tribe

History

Driven across Anvakhano in ancient times, theGamli tribesmen split into three groups: One settled the Varmak Valley at the mouth of the Red Blood, one was pushed south into the Kontinuel Waste, and the last settled the inhospitable and frosted peaks of the Mònglas. The men of the Varmak bare almost no resemblance to their Gamli ancestors, and the Kontinuel tribesmen have been shaped by the unfortunate circumstances of their unwelcoming home, but the Farvi, for better or worse, have changed little since those ancient days of yore.
    Little else can be said of the Gamli tribe that settled the Varmark, they integrated with the local aboriginals and eventually with the Khazic Republic, true some of the folklore from the region is associated and based off old Gamli legend but besides history and blood they aren't a very distinctive people.

- Excerpts from Wilders: Histories and Folklore of our Southern Neighbors, by Ra’shina Vestoria, Dean at the University of Khazad, 900 AK

Distribution of the Gamli Peoples

Red - Farvi
    Blue - Kontinuel
    Brown Varmark

OOC I was sick and had some time to write stuff up, not Khazad but it'll help brighten up their history and this part of the world. Doesn't make sense to just make massive ancient empires, now does it?

I'm also experimenting with a different way of writing my entries into this, that being writing as if its history documentation instead of a modern account.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; November 28, 2014 at 08:57 PM.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Khazad
    Gamli
    Something something something "and my axe."
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

So, Barry/Dan,
    Would it be alright if I continued working on something having to do with BaW?

I had a few ideas recently having to do with that break-off kingdom of Katun people I mentioned a long time ago.
    It's a small, unimportant idea to the overall scheme of that world, yet I want to write about them.

I've decided to call it "Aviya Hanya" in the evolved local language of the late dark ages/middle ages.
    Etymologically, it comes from the more Katun-like "Akyahankha" or "Akiia Hankha", which means "dream catcher."
    Visual style may follow this image example.
    It would exist somewhere between the Long Ren and the Deltaic states, and its (tiny but wealthy) existence would have been prolonged by its diplomatic ability to play its neighbors away with money and "vassalage", meaning it would essentially pay tribute to many neighbors, not just one, and would be even considered a source of war between the neighbors.

I also thought the city-state/mini-kingdom could be involved in the rise and spread of a religion in southeastern and eastern Anvakhano, if those relevant to the area would be interested. I thought it could be a syncretic development that coalesces from the different cultures and ancient beliefs of the different peoples in the area, including the Long Ren, the Katun immigrants, the Deltaic peoples, etc.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; January 19, 2015 at 09:05 AM.

Content Emeritus

What for?

Fun? Creativity?
    Do you need a reason to invent fantasy?

Content Emeritus

I was only curious. Obviously it's totally fine for you to use your own story for your own purposes outside the game.

*Shrug*
    I consider BAW an ongoing thing.
    Even if people stopped working on it for now, it doesn't mean that people won't come back to it later.
    I personally enjoyed it just for the sake of creating a world, not for the potential of any games using it later.
    Its biggest feature is just the innate creativity involved.

We've only written a few thousand years of important history.
    And history is endless.

Like Dan, I also don't have a prob As for restarting BaW: who knows, maybe we can get back to it this summer or fall. I'd certainly like to.