Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: [BAW 2.0] Chapter III

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Default Re: [BAW 2.0] Chapter III

No need for stress folks, it was just meant to be a playful jibe about avoiding another retcon

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Varadai are still black.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Okay, so after I get this "Red Century" migration period done for the Katun people, I will finish the rest of the history through the Middle Ages.
    After the Red Century, they'll mostly become unimportant; like many N. American civilizations, the cool stuff happened early on.
    Afterwards, they just kind of decline. And then I assume empires will come and take over the islands since, well, (A) silks and stuff and (B) 9/10 cultures seem to be created to be powerful 10-thousand year empires .
    So yeah, Plantations and stuff.

Anyways, so after I'm finished there, I think I'll move onto something else, perhaps something Arionnic in the Dark/Middle Ages or Falinesti in the Dark/Middle Ages.
    (So, sub-categories, like how England would be under "European" or "Germanic").
    Barring that, I may take a gander at the tundra/forest regions to the south of the Delta.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; October 04, 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Hey guys, so I wasn't able to get much done on the Falinesti languages (something came up IRL) but I decided to do something about BaW for the weekend like I said anyway, and settled on hammering out the start of the Yeri. Here we go:

The Story of the Yeri
    Ethnogenesis
    The Yeri (Simply 'People', singular Yer) are a horse-riding people of the eastern Great Steppe, straddling the border with the Great Desert and roughly squared away in the dead center of Anvakhano. Modern archaeology has determined that the first humans to move into areas now inhabited by the Yeri the Southeast Delta around 2,000 BU; some Deltaic records dates 2,200 years later condemns the 'worthless people' who were cast out west by their elders for a litany of crimes ranging from thievery to rape to murder to 'disobedience' & laid curses on 'these vile swine, their children and their children's children, for all time unto the end of time', meaning it is likely that the ancestors of the Yeri were indeed criminals, dissidents and their families. No matter the reasons for their expulsion from wherever they once lived or how much distaste they may have held for each other however, these exiles would have had little choice but to work together in the rough days of the Neolithic, and given enough time it is not unthinkable that they or their children settled down and started new families with each other, eventually giving rise to the Yeri.

Proto-Yeri migrations from the Delta, 2200 BU - approx. 200 AU

In Yeri mythology, they were formed directly from the breath of their chief god Yuldesha as the first and most perfect humans, an immortal master race destined to rule the world he and their other 396 deities built together. Tragically, the other humans molded to serve them instead dragged them down to their level thanks to the machinations of the devilish trickster Triban, forcing them and their descendants into living dreadful semi-nomadic lives of alternately maintaining grazing herds (for the horse, the cow, the sheep and the goat were the first animals to bow their heads & recognize the true nature of the Yeri) and violently battling everyone else for survival, including each other, in hopes that one day they'll be able to do enough to get their gods' attention and be reverted to their semi-divine true form. Needless to say, this is probably not true and even if it were, it's not a story that could have made the Yeri's neighbors particularly sympathetic to them.

The geography of the Great Steppes - vast plains & rolling hills, few trees, hot summers and cold winters - was not as conducive to farming as it was to grazing. Although some steppe peoples attempted to farm the land, the Yeri maintained great herds of sheep, goats, cattle and horses, directing them to graze on the grass and moving from camp to camp. Yeri towns, often growing out of large encampments, could last for years, but eventually the herd and their masters would have to move on; they couldn't exactly wait for the grass in that area to grow back, after all. The first evidence of this organized semi-nomadic Yeri society, and indeed the Yeri name itself (a gravesite dated to about 300 AU) points to them being a warlike people who formed themselves into tribes led by warrior clans who could consistently prove their worth by collecting the heads and hands of their enemies, who had the final say in all inter-tribal matters from 'who gets to eat tonight' to 'who your wife is sleeping with tonight' (in exchange for protecting everyone else in the tribe from any troublemakers they might come across), and who were prone to raiding not just passers-by for women and resources but each other. That said, they didn't totally forget their sedentary roots back in the Delta - a written wax tablet from one tribal chief to another, using an alphabet clearly derived from that of the Jarids, was found dated back to about 600 AU. In addition, though the Yeri were primarily raiders, they weren't above peacefully trading their horses, various meats, wool and eventually cheese to their neighbors in exchange for whatever resources they didn't have in abundance; woven clothes, copper or bronze and finally iron, wood, and so on.

Extent of the Yeri civilization, c. 1000 AU

Sculpture of an ancient Yeri chief, dated 1100 AU

@BF Hm, well what do you have in mind for a Falinesti subgroup?

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I know its probably much too late but are there any parts of the map without a history/civilization tied to them?

The old Geshkari lands (that area around the small NW river on Anvakhano/the southern continent, directly facing the southern end of Mannasin Dest/the central-northern continent) are still free, I think.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I might be interested in proposing a group, if I'm not too late. Are there any cold, mountainous, forested regions near water free by any chance?

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

The far south-east in Anvakhano; It's Taiga (dark green) and Tundra (blue) , so it should be like the biome of western Russia and the eastern Baltic, I'd say.

I'd like to have some of it though, I'm still thinking of using it.

There is the northern half of Mannasin Dest with tundra, taiga, and highlands still open as well, I think.

Content Emeritus

I have loose plans for those areas as part of my write-up I've been working on. Everything is being written with minimal detail to make it so that other people can build off of it though, so if anybody wants to piggy back off of it they are absolutely welcome to do so.

I kinda wanted to revive my idea of my "Norse" culture, but it doesn't need a huge area. I have two cultures in mind, and all they require is a forest, a piece of mountain range, and some sea.

I'm pretty sure this area is still open:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Seems like it fits all of your culture's criteria - it's almost all taiga (evergreen forests), it's got mountains, you could even have a bit of Arctic if you want it, and sea access isn't a problem.

Content Emeritus

That's exactly the land I'm working on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    I kinda wanted to revive my idea of my "Norse" culture, but it doesn't need a huge area. I have two cultures in mind, and all they require is a forest, a piece of mountain range, and some sea.
    You will, I'm just laying some basic groundwork based on my previous posts about the "barbarian" culture. Once that's done it's all yours.

Content Emeritus

The Great Big Clarification – Volume 2

Spoiler for Arion: Part 2

Spoiler for Arionic Cuisine!

With the Empire and its influences being as wide as they are, the different delicacies enjoyed by the populace vary due to locality, social class, and the seasons. In the warm south of the Empire, citizens commonly enjoy a diet mostly consisting of sea food, supplemented by various kinds of cheeses, especially goat cheeses, and occasionally lamb or goat meat. Flat breads are also more common in the south than loaves. Members of the upper classes generally have access to the highest quality meat and produce, and for many years the eating of a special dish known as Arionic Kalamari – pan fried squid often served with a tarator and complimented generous helpings of goat cheese and occasionally some sort of fruit – was restricted only to the upper classes of the region. The lower classes tend to eat whatever they can through fishing along the coastlines, and through subsistence herding of goats and sheep in the interior. All southerners enjoy wine, especially white wine. Common vegetables include tomatoes, spinach, chick peas, and various other kinds of beans.

In the center of the empire, the cuisine tends to be a bit heartier. The land is better for growing crops, and so it is more common to have certain kinds of vegetables which are rare in the more arid south, as well as thicker varieties of bread. The grasslands and forests of the center of Manassin Dest are also good for herding, and the region is the Empire’s foremost producer of beef. The common man’s plate in the center of the Empire might consist of a beef steak or sausage, coupled with a generous helping of vegetables and perhaps some cow cheese, bread, and butter. Stews and soups are also common. Trade with the Falinesti across the ocean brought the red pepper into vogue among the wealthy aristocracy – who could afford to import the strong spice – and gave rise to an interesting new dish: The Arionic Goulash! The center of the Empire is also renowned for the production of beer, since it’s the only region with suitable soil for the cultivation of quality hops.

In the north, life tends to be somewhat colder and somewhat harsher. Much of the economy is based off of hunting, fishing, mining, and forestry, and the people – and their cuisine – are quite hardy. Among the upper class, venison is a mainstay, while in the lower classes, pig herding provides most of the meat. Fishermen often supplement this with catches of salmon from the ocean and trout from the rivers. Berries, roots and mushrooms, often foraged from the surrounding forests, make up most of the vegetable content in the average man’s diet. Though they cannot produce the grapes and hops necessary for beer and wine, northerners are able to produce alcohol of their own: Mead, produced from fermenting honey and water, is common among the aristocracy, while a variety of vodka, produced from fermented potatoes, is more common among the lower classes.

Spoiler for Other Arionic Successor States

With apologies to Lucius, I made this map some time ago and your culture did not yet exist when it was conceptualized. As you can see I left room for it though.

It should be noted that I have intentionally left most of these descriptions rather vague in the hopes that others would build up upon them.

Dark Green: The High Kingdom of Aldoriat. A summary of this kingdom can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13027420

Gray: The Principality of Anaramo (Pronunciation: AH-nah-RAH-moo). One of the oldest of the Arionic successor states, and certainly the most wealthy, the Principality is centered on the trading hub of Anaramo, founded as “Anaramion” by the Empire in IY 194. The people of Anaramo are members of the Low Arionic culture group, people born of Arionic ancestors and speaking languages derived from Classical Arionic, but with certain cultural innovations that set them apart from their parent culture. Though “barbarian” influences are small, separation from Classical Arionic culture and language has led to an observable degree of divergent cultural evolution.

The Principality of Anaramo is a country that thrives on trade. Trading posts dot the coastline, with merchant vessels pouring out of these daily and sailing to the furthest corners of the world to bring back exotic goods for sale in the motherland. The motto of the Principality has always been “Nes caban gentir” (NEZH kah-BAHN jen-TEER), meaning “Prosperity for the daring!” And daring indeed are the merchants of Anaramo, though not without good reason: The Principality carried on the old Arionic tradition of naval power, and the vital trade networks which serve as life-giving veins to the beating heart of Anaramo are guarded carefully by the Anaramese carracks, the deadliest military vessels ever to set sail.

But the renown of Anaramo does not come solely from its merchants: The Anaramese (Anaramegi [ah-NAHR-ah-MEY-jee] in their own tongue) have produced masters of art and the written word, as well as philosophers, scientists, politicians, explorers, and adventurers. Anaramese military technology is largely unmatched, and countries around the world are willing to pay exorbitant prices just to get their hands on it. Likewise, Anaramese mercenaries, trained in the use of such technology and battle-hardened with it, are in equally high demand, though such bands of warriors are generally not sanctioned by the government itself, which generally preaches neutrality (at least publically) for the sake of maintaining profitable trade relations.

Yellow: The Duchy of Gerdran [GEHR-dran], another trade power in the region, though only an upstart compared to the economic powerhouse that is Anaramo. The people of Gerdran share more similarities with the northern “barbarians” than the true cultural heirs to Arion to the south, though to say that they have not been at all affected by Arionic culture would be unfair. For example, the people of Gerdran have almost entirely been converted to Asuravos, and its rulers are renowned for their piety and staunch defense of the faith against heathen threat.

The capital of Gerdran is the city of Henek. The country sits on a small, fertile plain – a clearing, as it were – on the edge of the great deciduous forest that makes up the heartland of Manassin Dest. Such a prime location makes the people of Gerdran some of the finest textile producers in the world – certainly on the continent – and fine linen, leather, and other fabrics are in especially high demand. Much like its much larger trading rival to the south, Gerdran generally seeks for peaceful relations with its neighbors, and as such does not possess a standing army. However, owing to the warrior tradition of its ancient forebears, a strong militia remains constantly present. Indeed, most Gerdranite weapons are based on modified farming tools, with scythes, axes, and pitchforks being transformed into more threatening glaves, halberds, and pikes. Peaceable though they may be, the people of Gerdran are possessed of a fiercely independent spirit. Sentinels help the ambitious ruler who would seek to make the Duchy a part of his own demesne through conquest.

Burgundy: The Kingdom of Derkeir (der-KEYER), the most powerful and organized of the “barbarian” successor states and the first to convert to Asuravos, its rulers are pious, pragmatic, and militarily capable. Its people are hardy and industrious, retaining the warrior spirit of their ancestors and tempering it with wisdom garnered from ancient Arion, what little of it survives in the North anyway. A functionally feudal society, the King presides over a host of dukes and counts from the capitol at Jerrock (YEHR-ock), who rule the land in his name while paying taxes to the crown and providing troops in war.

The landscape, composed of snowcapped mountains, rolling hills, deep forests, and sunkissed prairies, is dotted with castles, especially on its northern border, to watch for internal threats from bandits and external threats from barbarian warbands. As pious rulers themselves, the Kings of Derkeir are always seeking to expand their realm against the heathen menace, and holy wars against pagans and savages on all frontiers have unfolded many, many times, with Derkeir almost always coming out on top. Conflict with the neighboring High Kingdom of Aldoriat is also rather common.

Blue: The Petty Kingdom of Zhenmyla is a strange outsider in the league of Arionic successor states. Claiming descent from an isolated tribe of the continental mainland, they settled the northernmost part of the Eastern Islands starting about three centuries after the Fall of Arion. They were slow to take up Asuravos, with the reluctant conversion of their current ruler, King Olgi, a few years previously. Little is known about this people except that they are exceptionally fearsome warriors, just like their cousins on the mainland.

Spoiler for The Old Arionic Pantheon

Though this religion is largely dead within the borders of the former empire and in its successor states, it is important to understand the heathen gods because of the important role they played in the Empire’s earliest history. Added to that, a variant of the pantheon – albeit, a variant somewhat more brutal than that practiced historically within the empire – is honored still among many of the barbarian tribes in the North Lands, owing to their common ethnic and cultural heritage.

The mythos begins with a somewhat dualistic dichotomy between the Sky Father (jury’s still out on how similar this is to the Falinesti deity of the same name) and the Trickster, an enigmatic character who appears several times in both Arionic and Northern myths, but about whom very little is understood. Before time, Sky Father and Trickster were the only beings in the universe, though both were motivated by the unseen and inexorable force of Fate (called Doom in the North). Trickster, by his nature, was fated to deceive Sky Father, leading to his death. Stories of how exactly this happened vary depending on what culture they come from, but no matter how the story is told, Sky Father always ends up dead and separated into two pieces. These pieces became Day and Night, and Time was born of their interplay.

Time allowed Possibility, and from Possibility sprang everything else. First among these were the orders of the gods, which include:

Thanitar: Known as Thuánn in the North, the thunder god and head of the pantheon of deities. In the North he is generally honored with great blood sacrifices, though there was little stomach for such barbarism in Arion. Burnt offerings of crops and sometimes livestock were often seen as enough.

Inis: Known as Ina in the North, the goddess of the harvest and wife of Thanitar/Thuánn.

Khamos: Known as Kamthar in the North, he is the god of poets and storytellers. He is especially popular among the skalds and bards of the North.

Ulaniros: Known as Olnír in the North, he is the god of war. Another god commonly for whom human sacrifice is commonly made in the North, though sacrifice of any kind is rarely made to him in the south except in times of great need.

Zedeb: Known as Sethen in the North, she is the goddess of wisdom. However, certain sources, especially Arionic sources, seem to be more ambiguous as to her nature, often emphasizing her as more of a “personification” of wisdom than an actual deity. Sources in the North always make her into an actual living being, though her realm shifts somewhat to make her a goddess of marriage and the family, with the role of “wisdom” taking a secondary position.

Manathis: Known as Manthir in the North, she is the goddess of beauty and is married to Ulaniros/Olnír.

Sikhros: Known as Síkann in the North, he is the goddess of those who labor with their hands, including smiths, carpenters, and stonemasons.

Vinnad: Known as Fin in the North, he is the spirit of the hunt. Sacrifices (though thankfully not blood sacrifices in this case) are always offered up to him before any hunting or fishing expedition, whether for sport among the nobility or for livelihood among the peasantry.

There are other lesser deities not listed here. Perhaps you will write some of your own in time? Either way, mankind sprang forth when Trickster appeared again in Thanitar/Thuánn’s heavenly court and convinced him to “plant seeds” (ahem) in the sleeping earth. From these seeds, the first man and woman, Kalos (Kál) and Pini (Pín), respectively, sprung forth, and from them the rest of the human race sprang. In a similar way, Trickster got Vinnad/Fin to “spread his own seed” in the Earth to create all animal life. Plant life was added in an earlier, separate instant, when Inis menstruated and some of her blood landed on the Earth. It’s icky, I know, but hey, that’s fertility cults for you!

Brief write up on the Men of the North will be coming sometime before the end of the week, God willing.
    Last edited by Dan the Man; October 07, 2014 at 11:55 PM.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    The old Geshkari lands (that area around the small NW river on Anvakhano/the southern continent, directly facing the southern end of Mannasin Dest/the central-northern continent) are still free, I think.
    I could actually use that if its still open, I'd be scraping the Geshkari Civ idea but my Civ would still be an ancient slaver civilization. They'd probably be a mercantile republic founded by Delta (unless there are more suited cultures for this purpose?) exiles, though they'd mix heavily with the aboriginals around that area. If possible I'd like them to have had numerous colonies overseas (some controlling large amounts of land and some just being trading outpost/cities) around that portion of the world and have them be antagonistic toward early Imperial Arion (kinda like the Carthage to Arion's Rome) - before losing a series of wars to and being subjugated by them. After being conquered they'd be a passively resistant (at best) and openly rebellious (at worst) region of the Empire until its fall.

Obviously that's all really generic and broad, because I rather not waste time elaborating too much if the idea can't work with y'all's vision.

Works for me. I actually mentioned having the eastern seaboard of Khio Na/the NW continent menaced by three slaver outposts that naturally grew into cities over time on its SE corner, for hundreds if not thousands of years, before the united Falinesti bring them down in one of their first (of many) holy wars towards the tail end of our Dark Ages; those colonies could've been founded by this slaver civilization of yours hundreds or thousands of years prior to that point (for reference, the Falinesti were a disunited mess prior to 4225 AU with their strongest High Kingdoms being only regional powers, remained under the Arionic yoke 4225-4500, and only united in the early 4900s, so they're very much still a rising young power) and became independent powers in their own right after the fall of the motherland to Arion.

As for this slaver civilization being a rival to Arion, that also works. They could initiate hostilities over the small islands between Mannasin Dest & the slaver homeland + the Osito-Veli islands just off Mannasin Dest's eastern coast, akin to how the First Punic War was fought for control over Sicily, and from there it degenerates into a bloodbath for survival as both powers decide to go 'this world ain't big enough for the both of us'. For reference, Arion's meteoric rise begins in 3961 AU, hits its peak about 300 years later under the Peritarid Dynasty (comparable to the Five Good Emperors I guess, with a dash of Constantine/Theodosius since they were the ones who first formally adopted Asuravim) and the empire doesn't fall until 4507 AU (although its decline begins a few centuries before that, of course). So, a clash between young Arion & your older civ should probably happen in the early to mid 4000s and last into the early 4100s.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; October 08, 2014 at 08:29 AM.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Could have sworn Mutton wanted those lands and wanted to take up the Gesh's capital as his own.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

He never mentioned anything like that to me (granted our last convo was some time ago), or in this thread. In any case we gave the Batu lands back to Mutton without complaint when he returned, so I think it's only fair that we do the same with the old Geshkari lands for Perry as well. What d'you guys think?
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; October 08, 2014 at 09:12 AM.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

I can definitely agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
    The Great Big Clarification – Volume 2

Spoiler for Arion: Part 2

Spoiler for Arionic Cuisine!

With the Empire and its influences being as wide as they are, the different delicacies enjoyed by the populace vary due to locality, social class, and the seasons. In the warm south of the Empire, citizens commonly enjoy a diet mostly consisting of sea food, supplemented by various kinds of cheeses, especially goat cheeses, and occasionally lamb or goat meat. Flat breads are also more common in the south than loaves. Members of the upper classes generally have access to the highest quality meat and produce, and for many years the eating of a special dish known as Arionic Kalamari – pan fried squid often served with a tarator and complimented generous helpings of goat cheese and occasionally some sort of fruit – was restricted only to the upper classes of the region. The lower classes tend to eat whatever they can through fishing along the coastlines, and through subsistence herding of goats and sheep in the interior. All southerners enjoy wine, especially white wine. Common vegetables include tomatoes, spinach, chick peas, and various other kinds of beans.

In the center of the empire, the cuisine tends to be a bit heartier. The land is better for growing crops, and so it is more common to have certain kinds of vegetables which are rare in the more arid south, as well as thicker varieties of bread. The grasslands and forests of the center of Manassin Dest are also good for herding, and the region is the Empire’s foremost producer of beef. The common man’s plate in the center of the Empire might consist of a beef steak or sausage, coupled with a generous helping of vegetables and perhaps some cow cheese, bread, and butter. Stews and soups are also common. Trade with the Falinesti across the ocean brought the red pepper into vogue among the wealthy aristocracy – who could afford to import the strong spice – and gave rise to an interesting new dish: The Arionic Goulash! The center of the Empire is also renowned for the production of beer, since it’s the only region with suitable soil for the cultivation of quality hops.

In the north, life tends to be somewhat colder and somewhat harsher. Much of the economy is based off of hunting, fishing, mining, and forestry, and the people – and their cuisine – are quite hardy. Among the upper class, venison is a mainstay, while in the lower classes, pig herding provides most of the meat. Fishermen often supplement this with catches of salmon from the ocean and trout from the rivers. Berries, roots and mushrooms, often foraged from the surrounding forests, make up most of the vegetable content in the average man’s diet. Though they cannot produce the grapes and hops necessary for beer and wine, northerners are able to produce alcohol of their own: Mead, produced from fermenting honey and water, is common among the aristocracy, while a variety of vodka, produced from fermented potatoes, is more common among the lower classes.

Spoiler for Other Arionic Successor States

With apologies to Lucius, I made this map some time ago and your culture did not yet exist when it was conceptualized. As you can see I left room for it though.

It should be noted that I have intentionally left most of these descriptions rather vague in the hopes that others would build up upon them.

Dark Green: The High Kingdom of Aldoriat. A summary of this kingdom can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13027420

Gray: The Principality of Anaramo (Pronunciation: AH-nah-RAH-moo). One of the oldest of the Arionic successor states, and certainly the most wealthy, the Principality is centered on the trading hub of Anaramo, founded as “Anaramion” by the Empire in IY 194. The people of Anaramo are members of the Low Arionic culture group, people born of Arionic ancestors and speaking languages derived from Classical Arionic, but with certain cultural innovations that set them apart from their parent culture. Though “barbarian” influences are small, separation from Classical Arionic culture and language has led to an observable degree of divergent cultural evolution.

The Principality of Anaramo is a country that thrives on trade. Trading posts dot the coastline, with merchant vessels pouring out of these daily and sailing to the furthest corners of the world to bring back exotic goods for sale in the motherland. The motto of the Principality has always been “Nes caban gentir” (NEZH kah-BAHN jen-TEER), meaning “Prosperity for the daring!” And daring indeed are the merchants of Anaramo, though not without good reason: The Principality carried on the old Arionic tradition of naval power, and the vital trade networks which serve as life-giving veins to the beating heart of Anaramo are guarded carefully by the Anaramese carracks, the deadliest military vessels ever to set sail.

But the renown of Anaramo does not come solely from its merchants: The Anaramese (Anaramegi [ah-NAHR-ah-MEY-jee] in their own tongue) have produced masters of art and the written word, as well as philosophers, scientists, politicians, explorers, and adventurers. Anaramese military technology is largely unmatched, and countries around the world are willing to pay exorbitant prices just to get their hands on it. Likewise, Anaramese mercenaries, trained in the use of such technology and battle-hardened with it, are in equally high demand, though such bands of warriors are generally not sanctioned by the government itself, which generally preaches neutrality (at least publically) for the sake of maintaining profitable trade relations.

Yellow: The Duchy of Gerdran [GEHR-dran], another trade power in the region, though only an upstart compared to the economic powerhouse that is Anaramo. The people of Gerdran share more similarities with the northern “barbarians” than the true cultural heirs to Arion to the south, though to say that they have not been at all affected by Arionic culture would be unfair. For example, the people of Gerdran have almost entirely been converted to Asuravos, and its rulers are renowned for their piety and staunch defense of the faith against heathen threat.

The capital of Gerdran is the city of Henek. The country sits on a small, fertile plain – a clearing, as it were – on the edge of the great deciduous forest that makes up the heartland of Manassin Dest. Such a prime location makes the people of Gerdran some of the finest textile producers in the world – certainly on the continent – and fine linen, leather, and other fabrics are in especially high demand. Much like its much larger trading rival to the south, Gerdran generally seeks for peaceful relations with its neighbors, and as such does not possess a standing army. However, owing to the warrior tradition of its ancient forebears, a strong militia remains constantly present. Indeed, most Gerdranite weapons are based on modified farming tools, with scythes, axes, and pitchforks being transformed into more threatening glaves, halberds, and pikes. Peaceable though they may be, the people of Gerdran are possessed of a fiercely independent spirit. Sentinels help the ambitious ruler who would seek to make the Duchy a part of his own demesne through conquest.

Burgundy: The Kingdom of Derkeir (der-KEYER), the most powerful and organized of the “barbarian” successor states and the first to convert to Asuravos, its rulers are pious, pragmatic, and militarily capable. Its people are hardy and industrious, retaining the warrior spirit of their ancestors and tempering it with wisdom garnered from ancient Arion, what little of it survives in the North anyway. A functionally feudal society, the King presides over a host of dukes and counts from the capitol at Jerrock (YEHR-ock), who rule the land in his name while paying taxes to the crown and providing troops in war.

The landscape, composed of snowcapped mountains, rolling hills, deep forests, and sunkissed prairies, is dotted with castles, especially on its northern border, to watch for internal threats from bandits and external threats from barbarian warbands. As pious rulers themselves, the Kings of Derkeir are always seeking to expand their realm against the heathen menace, and holy wars against pagans and savages on all frontiers have unfolded many, many times, with Derkeir almost always coming out on top. Conflict with the neighboring High Kingdom of Aldoriat is also rather common.

Blue: The Petty Kingdom of Zhenmyla is a strange outsider in the league of Arionic successor states. Claiming descent from an isolated tribe of the continental mainland, they settled the northernmost part of the Eastern Islands starting about three centuries after the Fall of Arion. They were slow to take up Asuravos, with the reluctant conversion of their current ruler, King Olgi, a few years previously. Little is known about this people except that they are exceptionally fearsome warriors, just like their cousins on the mainland.

Spoiler for The Old Arionic Pantheon

Though this religion is largely dead within the borders of the former empire and in its successor states, it is important to understand the heathen gods because of the important role they played in the Empire’s earliest history. Added to that, a variant of the pantheon – albeit, a variant somewhat more brutal than that practiced historically within the empire – is honored still among many of the barbarian tribes in the North Lands, owing to their common ethnic and cultural heritage.

The mythos begins with a somewhat dualistic dichotomy between the Sky Father (jury’s still out on how similar this is to the Falinesti deity of the same name) and the Trickster, an enigmatic character who appears several times in both Arionic and Northern myths, but about whom very little is understood. Before time, Sky Father and Trickster were the only beings in the universe, though both were motivated by the unseen and inexorable force of Fate (called Doom in the North). Trickster, by his nature, was fated to deceive Sky Father, leading to his death. Stories of how exactly this happened vary depending on what culture they come from, but no matter how the story is told, Sky Father always ends up dead and separated into two pieces. These pieces became Day and Night, and Time was born of their interplay.

Time allowed Possibility, and from Possibility sprang everything else. First among these were the orders of the gods, which include:

Thanitar: Known as Thuánn in the North, the thunder god and head of the pantheon of deities. In the North he is generally honored with great blood sacrifices, though there was little stomach for such barbarism in Arion. Burnt offerings of crops and sometimes livestock were often seen as enough.

Inis: Known as Ina in the North, the goddess of the harvest and wife of Thanitar/Thuánn.

Khamos: Known as Kamthar in the North, he is the god of poets and storytellers. He is especially popular among the skalds and bards of the North.

Ulaniros: Known as Olnír in the North, he is the god of war. Another god commonly for whom human sacrifice is commonly made in the North, though sacrifice of any kind is rarely made to him in the south except in times of great need.

Zedeb: Known as Sethen in the North, she is the goddess of wisdom. However, certain sources, especially Arionic sources, seem to be more ambiguous as to her nature, often emphasizing her as more of a “personification” of wisdom than an actual deity. Sources in the North always make her into an actual living being, though her realm shifts somewhat to make her a goddess of marriage and the family, with the role of “wisdom” taking a secondary position.

Manathis: Known as Manthir in the North, she is the goddess of beauty and is married to Ulaniros/Olnír.

Sikhros: Known as Síkann in the North, he is the goddess of those who labor with their hands, including smiths, carpenters, and stonemasons.

Vinnad: Known as Fin in the North, he is the spirit of the hunt. Sacrifices (though thankfully not blood sacrifices in this case) are always offered up to him before any hunting or fishing expedition, whether for sport among the nobility or for livelihood among the peasantry.

There are other lesser deities not listed here. Perhaps you will write some of your own in time? Either way, mankind sprang forth when Trickster appeared again in Thanitar/Thuánn’s heavenly court and convinced him to “plant seeds” (ahem) in the sleeping earth. From these seeds, the first man and woman, Kalos (Kál) and Pini (Pín), respectively, sprung forth, and from them the rest of the human race sprang. In a similar way, Trickster got Vinnad/Fin to “spread his own seed” in the Earth to create all animal life. Plant life was added in an earlier, separate instant, when Inis menstruated and some of her blood landed on the Earth. It’s icky, I know, but hey, that’s fertility cults for you!

Brief write up on the Men of the North will be coming sometime before the end of the week, God willing.
    This is gold! Thank you, Dan!

As for the apology involving the map, its no problem. Thanks for leaving space though. If no one else is gonna be in that southern area with the Galaron Empire, I may expand the Empire's boundaries to include the entirety of that area.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; October 08, 2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Thanks Danny! My cultures will likely be the northern barbarian tribes you talked about. One of them will be mountain-dwellers who are very rich and comparatively advanced compared to their cousins, who will be forest-dwellers, poor, and very primitive.