Thread: Cheating in TATW

DJB_Halo's Avatar Foederatus
    Indianapolis, Indiana, United States of America

Icon5 Cheating in TATW

I heard about TATW for awhile but wasn't really interested in the ideal of it, despite being an extremely huge fan of the series, books, and other materials that Tolken produced.

Now myself, would not cheat until I at least beat the game with all the playable factions. Because it simply, in my opinion, make the game boring. But when you've beaten the game quite literally, hundreds of times, the aspect of using the process_cq, add_money, and the other cheats is quite intriguing. But still boring imo because it takes an hour to two hours to beat the game. Not fun imo.

But I saw in the TATW play thru's on youtube that it says not to cheat. Why is that? Does it cause the game to crash? Does the game detect cheats and cause the game to crash?

Default Re: Cheating in TATW

Cheats are enabled in TATW but not all of them will work, and no it does not cause the game to crash

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by DJB_Halo View Post
    I saw in the TATW play thru's on youtube that it says not to cheat. Why is that?
    You'd need to ask them I suppose. There are no crash issues or cheat detections.

The game intro says not to cheat using add_money or toggle_fow and I never understood why it bothered. If there were issues with using them then sure, but as it stands they are two paragraphs that amount to "don't cheat, you'll just spoil the game for yourself" which anybody cheating would already know.

It also says not to use auto resolve. There is a reason for that: auto resolve calculations favour certain factions more - e.g. Orcs and Dwarves - and the unit balancing has been targeted at player battles, not auto resolve, so auto resolve gives "unfair" outcomes. In that sense using auto resolve when playing e.g. Mordor could be seen as cheating.

DJB_Halo's Avatar Foederatus
    Indianapolis, Indiana, United States of America

Okay, thank you for the clarity. I've always wonder why it said that.

Can't wait to play as Gondor, Arnor, and the Dwarves.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

But I saw in the TATW play thru's on youtube that it says not to cheat. Why is that? Does it cause the game to crash? Does the game detect cheats and cause the game to crash?
    I was a cheater in the past (mostly, that was due to Vanilla M2TW being largely unbalanced, either it was too easy or too hard, playing at VH/VH); TATW is a well balanced game (although not perfect), and submods offer even more customization for the player to have his perfect balance, so if you cheat because the game is too difficult, simply play on E/E or N/N. Also remember, you play for fun, not to win (despite I'm an experienced player, I had to learn a lot before behing really effective with TATW, and I enjoyed losing or beeing forced to restart a campaign, here and there). So my advice is: don't cheat, with a pure game the feelings are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post

The game intro says not to cheat using add_money or toggle_fow and I never understood why it bothered. If there were issues with using them then sure, but as it stands they are two paragraphs that amount to "don't cheat, you'll just spoil the game for yourself" which anybody cheating would already know.
    for the reason above, not everybody knows what they are loosing if they cheat (and that was so for me at least )

Can't wait to play as Gondor, Arnor, and the Dwarves.
    Enjoy mate!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

As a shameless and unabashed cheater, I can tell you that they do not crash your game.

In my defense, I play an older version of MOS which has buggy stack spam issues, which we've all seen posted in the screenshot thread :p

Ego123's Avatar Tiro
    Linz, Austria & Sighetu Marmatiei, Romania

When you play your campaign whitout cheating,whitout autoresolve or whitout take advantage of stupid AI decision's ''you feel like a virgin'' .Its a special feeling and make you proud of Your fairness and EXPERIENCE.So be a virgin player,whortit.

Do you guys have cute little rings too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmonstra View Post
    Do you guys have cute little rings too?
    Rude, but sick burn.

Not rude, just cheeky