Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Rome II improved enough to be worth getting back into again?

Default Has Rome II improved enough to be worth getting back into again?

Ever since I preordered Rome II and saw the results I've regretted my preorder and eventually I uninstalled it in disgust around patch 7-8.

So my question is, since its release, has it improved enough to be worth jumping into again?

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Has Rome II improved enough to be worth getting back into again?

yeah it has. Ever since the latest patch, I“ve had quite an interesting game as parthia with an intense and long war against baktria. There are still some problems, but overall witch patch 15 it is way better than it was 7 to 8 patches ago.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Oh yeah, if you haven't played since patch 7-8 it's going to be a pretty substantial difference. I'm enjoying my game so far, this new patch has changed quite a bit of the main game enough to make it feel a bit better

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heišinn Vešr: Total War

Campidoctor

Apparently some good changes are coming with the Emperor Edition, but I'll wait and see how that actually turns out before recommending anything...
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Indefinitely Banned

It's a good game now IMO, and I recommend you put patch 15 beta on (however I've heard that patch 15 beta breaks the siege AI a little bit from the improvements in patch 14).
    modificateurs sans frontičres

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

I'd wait until patch 15 beta has had some of the more obvious issues fixed if you're not willing to hand wave away a fair amount of stuff as 'it's a beta'.

Yes. Just take a look at the opinions on this forum - far more positive than 6-12 months ago. However, since you've already waited so long, probably best just to wait until the official patch 15 comes out very soon, along with Emperor Edition.

Wait for the 16th september and make up your own mind: if half of what they hyped about the Emperor Edition is true, its going to be worth getting back into IMO. Even more when the overhaul mods take charge.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I quit around patch 7 also and in my view it is better. The fact I have been playing it since patch 14 (3 weeks or so) is a good sign. Sieges are much better, but not fixed. Your Romans can actually use pilums defensively now (it took them 11 months!) But, there are still some annoyances that CA give us no clue as to what their thinking is. It still has some ways to go to finally be great.

I'd wait until Emperor edition instead of bothering to start now. While i've technically spent a few hundred hours playing Rome 2 I've never actually completed a campaign because mostly I was using mod overuals such as DeI and constant updates from CA and mods (mostly latter) just mostly meant restarting and late game was boring.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Def better, its worth playing with mods as well.

Sun Jetzu's Avatar Vicarius

yes, the simple answer is yes
    One Punch Man Series VS My Hero Academia Series - Who's Better?

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    I quit around patch 7 also and in my view it is better. The fact I have been playing it since patch 14 (3 weeks or so) is a good sign. Sieges are much better, but not fixed. Your Romans can actually use pilums defensively now (it took them 11 months!) But, there are still some annoyances that CA give us no clue as to what their thinking is. It still has some ways to go to finally be great.
    Ditto. Stopped entirely between the first few patches, tried again after patch 8, then shelved it entirely until patch 14. Finished my first campaign in R2TW about a week ago. It's gone a long way, and has a bit more to go, but it's definitely in an enjoyable state.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Well I only got an average Internet connection speed so for me downloading all of these patches again would be just a waste of time( I uninstalled the game though). If CA just planned this all out and polished the game very well before they release it, customers wouldn't get this kind of hassle from the beginning. AND, we can all just install it from the disk. Which is much faster and more reliable.

It's just irritating that CA has this lack of preparation and future planning these days.

If this happens again on their next title. Expect me having a ballista aiming towards their offices waiting to fire. or better yet, I'll use a torch.
    Last edited by Garensterz; September 07, 2014 at 12:56 AM.

R2 has been improved by leaps and bounds compared to what it was at release. Yesterday I tried a naval battle again and was deeply impressed. The last time I fought a naval battle was Patch 10 or 11 and it was still a huge mess with unresponsive ships refusing to do anything. But now the battles are very smooth, ships do exactly what you told them, no more ship exploding on impact. With some mods which add balance and historical realism, it is surely a great game.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    Well I only got an average Internet connection speed so for me downloading all of these patches again would be just a waste of time( I uninstalled the game though). If CA just planned this all out and polished the game very well before they release it, customers wouldn't get this kind of hassle from the beginning. AND, we can all just install it from the disk. Which is much faster and more reliable.

It's just irritating that CA has this lack of preparation and future planning these days.

If this happens again on their next title. Expect me having a ballista aiming towards their offices waiting to fire. or better yet, I'll use a torch.
    Next time don't uninstall if you have bad internet connection. I don't think hard disk space are a problem these days.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Yes, but wait for Emperor edition, it brings many big changes.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

As a Rome 2 hater its funny for me to say it but yes its playable.

The emperor edition is really good I tested the beta patch and I loved it.I also opened up a thread about my experiences so if you need further details feel free to check it out its on the first page of this forum right now.

Sun Jetzu's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by fizy45 View Post
    As a Rome 2 hater its funny for me to say it but yes its playable.

The emperor edition is really good I tested the beta patch and I loved it.I also opened up a thread about my experiences so if you need further details feel free to check it out its on the first page of this forum right now.
    Im playing the beta right now. My German Confederation has conquered most of europe. Has allied itself with the Gallic and Roman Empires. And now My ships invade the very heartland of the british isles!!
    But the AI's ability to use diplomacy is night and day. Its almost like this isnt the same game anymore.
    One Punch Man Series VS My Hero Academia Series - Who's Better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast