Thread: Question about HBO Rome

Default Question about HBO Rome

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Im re watching HBOs fantastic Rome series, however there is something that has been driving me crazy, i can recall once watching part of a documentary, that featured the characters (as in the actors) and sets from the show. From what i can remember it follows Caesar's march on rome in more historical way than the show, and i believe continues on as far as the Battle of Pharsalus. I dont know if im just confusing it with another documentary series, but iv been looking for it for ages and cant find a trace.

If anyone knows the name if this Documentary or if im crazy please let me know, thanks

TL;DR: Is there a documentary that features Rome HBO actors and sets.
    ''I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones''. - Albert Einstein

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Question about HBO Rome

I think this might be better placed in the Arts or the Vestigia Vetustatis.

But I don't recall this documentary. What I do remember is some video I saw with the actors talking about historical Rome, particularly the slavery aspect, somewhere on YouTube.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I don't recall any documentary like that either; if you find it, post it, should be interesting.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Moved from Thema Devia, this is a better place for this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyflinn432 View Post
    I hope this is the right place to post this.

Im re watching HBOs fantastic Rome series, however there is something that has been driving me crazy, i can recall once watching part of a documentary, that featured the characters (as in the actors) and sets from the show. From what i can remember it follows Caesar's march on rome in more historical way than the show, and i believe continues on as far as the Battle of Pharsalus. I dont know if im just confusing it with another documentary series, but iv been looking for it for ages and cant find a trace.

If anyone knows the name if this Documentary or if im crazy please let me know, thanks

TL;DR: Is there a documentary that features Rome HBO actors and sets.
    I know of no such documentary. Maybe you mean the featurette where the show makers talk about how they filmed Caesar's Triumph and the battle of Pharsalus.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

There are around 9 featurettes in the DVD Boxset (Four featurettes examining the history of Rome and several of its more famous inhabitants, three behind-the-scenes featurettes exploring the elaborate production, two featurettes detailing the creation of pivotal scenes) as CJ says above. It is possible to find some fragments on youtube.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

I do recall of documentaries that were about the history of Rome where they dramatized much of the history and also narrated it as a history documentary.

I think you are likely thinking of something from UKTV History when they showed a series of History Documentaries.

I remember Alexander Siddig (DS9 Doctor Bashir) playing Hannibal Barca in one.

Or you could be thinking of either

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284741/

or
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0864944/

I think the last one is the most likely.

Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm