Thread: Insufficiant video memory with 8GB RAM, 64bit system and HD 4870

Default Insufficiant video memory with 8GB RAM, 64bit system and HD 4870

Please be sorry with me, when this topic still exist. I searched about, but found no suitable topic (only for 32bit systems. And there were said, there's nothing to do with 64bit systems).

As everyone can see, my system has enough video memory. I have a 64bit system (win 7 Pro 64bit), 8 GB RAM and a Performance Card ATI HD 4870. The CPU is on Socket 775, an Intel Core 2 Duo E 8500 (2x 3,16 Ghz). Power Supply is 550 Watt from Enermax.

Every game I have run superb, but not Roma Surrectum II.

It crashes when the battle map will start (campaign map is ok), with the error message: "Insufficient video memory to load requested texture set."

I played RS II last year with the same constellation, but weaker Power Supply.

Best regards
    Bladed

neep's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Insufficiant video memory with 8GB RAM, 64bit system and HD 4870

You may want to do further research in the forums..
    I found several references to this..

Quote Originally Posted by Primo View Post
    Thiserror comes if you save a texture file in the wrong format. I guess now thatyou have modified textures. Check if you have saved them in the BC3/DXT5Format. You can see this if you press save under - a small menu where you can selectit appears.

Quote Originally Posted by HalieSatanus View Post
    possibly reasons for this msg.

A wrongly saved texture ie; not ''interpolated alpha'' causing an overload.

A sprite which has not been converted from '.tga' to '.dds' files before beingrenamed to '.tga.dds' will give this err msg.

It's a game 'err msg' nothing and to do with your video card specifically.

You could list the units involved and then try testing them in custom battlesto narrow down the culprit. And you should post your save game so the RS teamcan try it out, see if they get the same result.

Seems odd though that this hasn't come up before.

Could be an install issue or a general corruption of the install.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Bradley's Avatar Foederatus

I played RS II with Radeon 4870 and very similar hardware (only 4gb RAM though, but thats irelevant) and I had no problems with it. Today I use 1gb memory graphics card (660Ti) and the game is runing smoothly and is perfectly stable. So i guess problem is not with hardware.

As century x said, try to reinstall. Best would be to reinstall R:TW and RS II, if problems remain, try to download RS II files again.