Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Byzantium Reskin

Default Re: Byzantium Reskin

Quote Originally Posted by Arthalion View Post
    thx, i will test it and if i like i will ask for use their sources
    I wouldn't really bother with that . Bellum Crucis is good and all but they don't share their stuff with anyone, Believe me I have seen many mods ask them for permission and all have received a resounding no as a response.

But your units are excellent, well done .
    Last edited by b257; September 13, 2014 at 11:19 PM.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by b257 View Post
    I wouldn't really bother with that . Bellum Crucis is good and all but they don't share their stuff with anyone, Believe me I have seen many mods ask them for permission and all have received a resounding no as a response.

But your units are excellent, well done .
    Its a shame, i definitly dont anderstand this way of modding.

Its a shame, i definitly dont anderstand this way of modding.
    if you really want to see the Bellum Crucis Byzantines, here is a youtube video of their roster,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRkv9txrbM

Looks like they use some Elements from Broken Crescent.

Your units are coming along great

croater's Avatar Foederatus

Scoutatoi is very good, i like it! Btw this should not be the Bellum crucis discussion thread , but i must admit i never saw any kind of mod that have such amazing and historically accurate units, they have unique look and we dont need to wonder why they dont whant to share it whit anyone. When you finish your units they will be unique too. It will give a new life to Byzantine army which use the old CBUR models which are good but they lack in some details and historicall accuracy, especially infantry.

Great work , though I think a round shield would be better suited for this animation as the kite shield makes it look awkward in the front row or maybe consider changing it to the standing phalanx formation.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

All the models here are excellent, though I sort of agree with b257 on the round shield, plus the fact that menavlatoi were not historically a phalanx unit but their job was to attack cavallry already pinned down by the scoutatoi phalanx.
    The re-enactor below was equipped according to the instructions in Leo's Tactica.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re-enactor_Menavlatos.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	314349

The menavlion spear he is equipped with is made of a whole sapling, as instructed in the Tactica manual, out of need for great structural strength: they were supposed to be able to tackle armoured horses after all.

The model is fine as is, remember the menaulatoi was also stationed in the front rank:
    http://www.levantia.com.au/military/spears.html

Just make the shield round and you could replicate the above formation.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Quote Originally Posted by b257 View Post
    The model is fine as is, remember the menaulatoi was also stationed in the front rank:
    http://www.levantia.com.au/military/spears.html

Just make the shield round and you could replicate the above formation.
    I know what you are saying, but historically speaking the menavlatoi were a seperate type of troop than the contaratoi (long spearmen).
    Their units were much smaller and were made up of the strongest and bravest men in the host.
    An important requirement, since the natural instinct of the semi-professional infantryman was to avoid confrontation with heavy/armoured -and almost invariably fully professional- cavalry.

In the best case, the more disciplined soldiers were expected to hold their formation and die in their positions with wounds inflicted in the fron part of their bodies, not their backs.

The menavlatoi, on the other hand, had the role to seek out and approach the enemy heavy cavalry if the horsemen were already engaging the scoutatoi.
    They were gap fillers and "dispatchers", the scoutatoi would pin the horsemen in position and the menavlatoi would kill them.

That being said, they can be used in-game like in the picture in the link you give.
    Last edited by paleologos; September 20, 2014 at 07:13 PM.

The easiest option would be to keep them as is and just change the shield pattern to round, just my 2 cents, its up to Arthalion in the end since this is his baby, whatever he decides will no doubt be great .

yes, i will use round shield, and dont allow phalanx for it

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

do you think its possible to use Broken crescent sources too?
    Yeah, just ask for permission, they are very frugal with letting people use their resources if asked.

Nikiforos XMike's Avatar Tiro

Beautiful units! keep up the good work!

EDIT: if you get permission from Broken Crescent, I suggest you use the composite bow of the ERE horsearchers it's really beautiful (the same used by some georgian and armenian units)
    Last edited by Nikiforos XMike; September 22, 2014 at 05:05 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast