Thread: increase cohort size

DrwHem's Avatar Tiro

Default increase cohort size

I was just wondering if it is possible to increase roman first cohorts from 163 to the original 240. The first cohorts have no other bonus over the ordinary leigonary cohorts other than an eagle so there really isnt any point in using them since they are like 800 gold in support. also its annoying to have to retrain all your infantry after 3 or 4 battles. i want the 240 back for the mod.

also on a random note..dose anyones game randomly crash when you end a turn or enter a battle? cause mine dose about 2 or 3 times an hour. its mildly annoying unless i forget to save every single turn.

Default Re: increase cohort size

I disagree that the first cohort should be made bigger, they are the army mainstay afterall. the are more then tough enough. you shouldn't use to many though.

That usually happend when I played carthage, after marian, but my new camp hasn't come that far yet.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

DrwHem: First Cohorts do have a slightly higher attack, defense, and morale. Unfortunately the increased size makes them masively unbalanced compared to other units, and also makes it possible to stuff 50%+ more killing power into one stack. I think the Romans already have it pretty easy after the Marius reforms without that.

Still, if you want to make the change for your own game, then it is pretty easy to do. Just open up [rome]/xgm/data/export_descr_units.txt with notepad and change the first number on the solder line of the "roman legionary first cohort ii" entry from 40 to 60. It should look like this:
    Code:
    type             roman legionary first cohort ii
    dictionary       roman_legionary_first_cohort_ii      ; Legionary First Cohort
    category         infantry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       Medium_1
    soldier          roman_legionary_cohort_ii, 60, 0, 2.2
    How random are these crashes? Does the same battle work if you just reload your game and try again? If so then it's probably a memory or graphics issue. You are playing on huge unit settings, which can put a strain on many machines, and RTW has a memory leak problem which will make the strain worse the longer you play.

For me, the crashes happened compleatly random, but only against post-marius rome.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Sprite problems can cause random(ish) ctds. I'll take a look at the Roman ones and see if there is a problem.

*edit* I couldn't see any problems. Anyone else getting ctd's with the Romans?
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; October 29, 2006 at 08:05 AM.

DrwHem's Avatar Tiro

if i reload the game it normally dosnt crash. although my old save file was ruined because i kept crashing after a certain turn and had to start all over again. although my computer runs normal rome and BI at full graphics at huge scale. i have the highest ATI card you can get for an AGP. it only crashes when i play as Rome in the mod. cause i played greece for a good few months until i couldnt stand re-enforcing my spartan phalangites from mide asia lol.