Thread: Rome building slots

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Default Rome building slots

How many building slots does rome have in the new edition?

Default Re: Rome building slots

Afaik It's exactly the same as the normal edition mate.
    This is my original review for Rome II, posted in October 2013.

Rome II: Totally Casual.

Streamlined features, zero diplomacy, no family tree, lack of character progression, magical transports, complete lack of battle, siege and campaign AI, blob style fighting formations, 3minute battles, magical fire burning torches, zero seasons, 1 turn per year, awful performance on high end systems, monotonous and incredibly tedious campaign,

A year later, sadly, not much has changed.

Artifex

I demand at least 10 building slots! How are you supposed to properly mod this game when you can't add anything due to these ridiculous restrictions?
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    I demand at least 10 building slots! How are you supposed to properly mod this game when you can't add anything due to these ridiculous restrictions?
    Welcome to the new total War, designed by people who don't need any depth to enjoy a video game.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Problem with it is you don't feel like you're laying down buildings. It's just a bunch of numbers. This is what I mean about being so spreadsheety that you forget the immersive aesthetics aspects of a game. Sure, have the numbers, but depict those buildings in a way that feels like we're making them for people to use. In MTW2 and RTW and even STW you saw what they were and how they looked. Here is's just black silhouttes and + Public or - Food. Oh well, can't have everything, I guess.

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Problem with it is you don't feel like you're laying down buildings. It's just a bunch of numbers. This is what I mean about being so spreadsheety that you forget the immersive aesthetics aspects of a game. Sure, have the numbers, but depict those buildings in a way that feels like we're making them for people to use. In MTW2 and RTW and even STW you saw what they were and how they looked. Here is's just black silhouttes and + Public or - Food. Oh well, can't have everything, I guess.
    I agree with this 100%. In Rome 2 I always build depending on the bonuses of the region and the minor settlement specialty; whilst it adds strategy it does not feel like I am building up a town at all.
    Previously taylorj2, Allu X, Grandmaster Ryu, Dauntless Commandant & Sensei Kiisu

Creator of the "Perfectly Polished" sub-mod for Stainless Steel (M2:TW), contributing to LOTR:TW (R:TW) and many other modifications over time, now long-forgotten

Original join date, Feb 2007.

Thanks for the answers. Most disappointing. No buildable roads either it seems.

It just seems strange that the largest and most powerful city in the ancient world, ran by a collection of powerful families, can't have as many building slots as a city like Brundesium, nor be able to build roads, or have a family tree.

I know features were added, major improvements nearly everywhere, but it really feels like that of many of the immersion aspects have been stripped. I've been reading these forums and watched the back and forth and it appears that the folks who don't care about the family tree are the folks who like to do nothing but storm across the campaign map and the folks who want it like a more leisurely pace. The folks that don't care about it talk mostly about battles and the folks that do, talk mostly about campaign play.

At least there apparently been some big improvements with the new edition. Thank you for at least trying CA. I'll have to give it a go in a few weeks

So you just have to put more and more pression of CA for having the ability of expanding buildings slots

roads are built automatically based on your factions prosperity

so the happier and wealthier you are the better your roads are

I do kinda have mixed feelings about it on the one hand its easier since I would often forget to build/upgrade roads in late game

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by the lightning legion View Post
    roads are built automatically based on your factions prosperity

so the happier and wealthier you are the better your roads are

I do kinda have mixed feelings about it on the one hand its easier since I would often forget to build/upgrade roads in late game

I don't like it, but I think it's probably for the best. Roads were more natural pathways to get to important areas and I think that's better simulated automatically. As for the slots, we're at the stage now where the games have become streamlined and gone are the days of having 50 different types of buildings like on the old engine.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

More building slots would be fantastic.

Primicerius

suggestion: add 1 building slot to all factions' capitals for every imperium level they reach.

You know what would really alleviate the building slots problem somewhat? If there are slots for defenses. Walls, wooden walls, stone walls, etc. Minor settlements would never have beyond, say, large stone walls, or at least their settlements are smaller, akin to large forts. Numerous types of defenses can be configured, and it is never possible to have all of them at once. Some boost garrison size, boost garrison bonuses, boost siege turns until surrender, increase ammunition for missile units, etc.
    They could even take on teh ole of configuring army garisons: some defenses grant certain units while others grant different ones. Want more melee infantry? Get the one that gives melee infantry, though you will have to sacrifice a different benefit.

Defenses don't even have to be limited to siege benefits: they can boost LOS, increase attrition/ replenishment, slow down/ speed up army movement, and so on.
    Last edited by daelin4; September 04, 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    You know what would really alleviate the building slots problem somewhat? If there are slots for defenses. Walls, wooden walls, stone walls, etc. Minor settlements would never have beyond, say, large stone walls, or at least their settlements are smaller, akin to large forts. Numerous types of defenses can be configured, and it is never possible to have all of them at once. Some boost garrison size, boost garrison bonuses, boost siege turns until surrender, increase ammunition for missile units, etc.
    They could even take on teh ole of configuring army garisons: some defenses grant certain units while others grant different ones. Want more melee infantry? Get the one that gives melee infantry, though you will have to sacrifice a different benefit.

Defenses don't even have to be limited to siege benefits: they can boost LOS, increase attrition/ replenishment, slow down/ speed up army movement, and so on.
    These are all good ideas. The problem with Rome having only 5 slots seems to be the fact that it doesn't have a port. As near as I can tell that sixth slot seems to be hard coded for a port and it is linked to the campaign map in some way making it very difficult to mod that slot for some other purpose. This was a design choice and not a good one in my opinion.

The road building function is also ass-backwards. In reality, roads increase growth. In this game you have to have your city at a certain level for the game to upgrade the road (an upgrade that doesn't show up well on the campaign map). This takes away players' options that were present in the original game.

As far as the family tree, it was more than just a pictogram you could look at from time to time. In RTW you could move characters around the map to different cities and armies to gain different skills. In fact, now that I think about it, you could move generals around the map in Empire and Shogun as well. In Rome 2, generals aren't really individuals because they are hard tied to armies or if they are removed they go back into the void and can only be found on the factions' list of characters. All in all, less options for the player in Rome 2 with all its new features.

Maybe that's why it feels so stale and dry for the players who like to take a slower and deliberate approach. For the steamrolling type players these are probably insignificant issues.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

more building slots,yea i like to see that to,atleast double from what it is now,so 12 for walled city's and6or8 for small towns.
    also watchtowers and permanent forts should be added,so the campaign map looks a bit more alive.

@lightning legion,do the roads appear different when the are upgraded? never seen it in my campaign...
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

I don't think so you just get to move faster and I think a small trade boost

I never seen the road "upgraded" in any way in Rome2, if it is, the effects aren't what I expect (increased distance), or the upgrade only occurs if you upgrade it to like level 4, which would mean a huge public order penalty, and who the hell wants to have that in return for fancier roads?

its not tied to any building its based on faction prosperity