Thread: Recommendation for a challenging Gondor campaign?

Default Recommendation for a challenging Gondor campaign?

I've recetly installed TATW 3.2 - so far I've only played several custom battles but I like it very much, apart from occasional CTD's I'm having in main menu.

I'd like to start a campaign as Gondor, for the classic "barely holding back hordes of Sauron" experience. From what I see, there's a ton of submods for TATW - which ones would you recommend to install for a challenging, desperate, grim Gondor campaign?

Default Re: Recommendation for a challenging Gondor campaign?

MOS - turn all scripts in favor of evil faction, play VH/VH... you cant win
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

You can win, but you will likely get bored with the endless number of battles against dreadstacks and heroic victories.

So as Funeh said, MoS with all evil scripts allowed, and turtle. Take nothing besides Langstrand, Tolfalas and Ithilien, then hold it- no expansion before Turn 100. My record is 137 turns before I took Minas Morgul, and that was very much touch and go whether or not I lost that campaign.

If you do not find that challenging, I will abase myself to your provess.

Quote Originally Posted by Funeh View Post
    MOS - turn all scripts in favor of evil faction, play VH/VH... you cant win
    That's what I was looking for Thanks.

Actually you don't need Mordor's call or Eastern Shadows scripts. Do as mentioned above and wait until about turn 100 to launch your counter offensive on Mordor and Harad. I protect behind the river crossings and hold the Ranger base in North Ithilean. Also you want to take all the rebel settlements to the far east of Gondor. Byt the time you have built up your Farms, roads, ports mines and markets you will have a thriving economy and can afford a powerful professional army. The Dark lords invasions can be a challenge but as long as you hold the rivers and force them to go through enemy land from the north they will arrive peace meal. But eventually Mordor will have stacks with Uruks and Olog Hai trolls and siege equipment coming out their nose.

It will be a challenge and sometimes you will have one army fighting off several at once if you allow unlimited men on battlefield. It's a blast.

I also recommend Director's cut for the strategic river crossings and some extra touches to Gondor's AOR. Im past turn one hundred and having a blast in my current campaign.

Senator

Ugh. I hate Gondor...everything you need to do to win as them requires you to do stuff that contradicts everything I as a Total War player like to do, such as building up my armies to prepare for an overwhelming strike to eliminate my enemies key armies and settlements within five turns. Mordor, Harad, and Eriador are factions I love because they suit me.