Thread: It is a matter of marketing?

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default It is a matter of marketing?

After having spent several months without playing Rome 2, I returned to the game, and tried several mods, vanilla is out of question.And can guarantee that this mod, is without doubt, one of the most complete. What I do not understand is the reason for having so little acceptance here in TWC. What is the reason? DEI is so mainstream? Lack of marketing? The name is too personalized? Should be a Roman name?"Ortus imperium" or else?
    Of course when I play this mod, adapted it to my taste, such as.

- I increased the morale a bit, for units not break to soon.

- I increased the space between units, for no discrepancies that make them turn around.

- I increased the ranks, with the option 2x stay with a more realistic look, especially Roman,who looks more square.

- What I did not, but did on my unfortunate mod, was a personalized User Interface and load screen, is ... more "mod".

Also dont know if there are new possibilities for modifying the game, but if you could include somewhere in the game or encyclopedia, the description and characteristics of the units which you gave the historical name, it would be fantastic.
    Anyway, I still say,your work is fantastic.And good luck.
    Last edited by pajomife; September 02, 2014 at 02:21 PM.

Default Re: It is a matter of marketing?

To build a large user base requires content of the kind that is very noticeable and provides some amount of "wow" factor, which helps feed word of mouth. We have chosen to take a different route in the short term that sacrifices that growth while we lay down the foundation for what we envision to be a great end product.

The work we do is slow and accuracy and precision are important. If we rush content out, we have to sacrifice historical accuracy and always create more work for ourselves in the future. Taking it slow has also given us the time to develop things like the stat overhauls that will impact every unit in the game and how they play into not only battles but the economy. Helping Magnar with that has taken many many hours away from faction/unit research, but I am happy to do it since it will make the game play even more historically.

Marketing is easy once you have a superior product to sell. It may take quite a few months before the final product begins to take shape - with not only the new faction rosters and the stat overhaul but the tech and building overhauls in place. We're always very happy to hear that people are enjoying our work in progress

I will certainly be pushing for documenting all our units and their history either in game or here on the forums. I have a good bit written down for certain units and factions, but at this point it's a matter of time allocation and working on ingame content is still the biggest priority.

Thanks for the encouragment btw

I'm extremely fond of what you've managed to do so far in terms of combat, even with just the current faction roster and unit stat overhauls, even if the Iberians, Gauls, and Carthage may not be my favorite factions. I will say I'm certainly looking forwards to see what you do with regards to the Hellenic factions and their own styles of heavy infantry formation combat, and how they stack up against the Roman style.

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

Magnar Mod was the first mod for Rome II I really 'loved', many months ago.

Unfortunately we haven't had any significant updates for quite a long time now. I can fully understand this, the team is not the biggest, they work with a lot of precision and very 'deep' into the core mechanics of the rotten apple that Rome II is. I'm sure this is the right strategy longterm and I have full confidence in the team around Magnar.

As far as popularity goes, I think Magnar Mod is the kind of mod that people who want depth and pinpoint accuracy will absolutely love and adore, but I think most people might want a better and glorified vanilla experience with extravagant unit skins and that might be what the two most famous mods provide at the moment. They are not my kind of fish though.

I'm checking the Magnar Subforum every day, eagerly anticipating the 'Meganing'