Thread: Playing NTW3 as Russia. Austrian allies won't support.

Default Playing NTW3 as Russia. Austrian allies won't support.

So far I've blasted through the French lines in western Austria, taking Prague, Munich, Innsbruck, and Strasbourg. How the French keep so many full stacks in the field is mind blowing. I slaughter thousands of them in each battle, yet as soon as one stack gets annihilated, another is there to take its place within a couple turns. My Austrian allies have 4 full stacks just sitting idle around their capital city while I'm hanging on by a thread to keep Strasbourg. The Spanish somehow managed to get a full stack unmolested all the way to Olmutz where I was forced to take them out lest they marched the rest of the way untouched to Moscow. Now I'm besieged at Strasbourg with 2 full and one single stack army, with the French and Spanish having 2 full stacks each! French morale is crazy high, and my Russian hordes are desperately trying to throw back wave after wave of French and Spanish assaults. I'm getting no help from Austria, and my other allies are taking their sweet old time getting into the war. Is this some kind of a bug? I'm pretty sure coalition means allied help, but it seems this war is all on Russia's shoulders for the time being. What gives? I'm only playing on N/N! Need help asap because I'm pretty sure something isn't right with this.

Default Re: Playing NTW3 as Russia. Austrian allies won't support.

I've noticed this in reverse when playing Austria. In fact, the whole coalition concept is broken in NTW, all one really has to play with are a set of independent factions that can be allied but will never co-operate.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Or often in my case falls apart in nearly every game when playing as Austria and Russia often over vassals. With Prussia and Russia betraying Austria, or Prussia and Austria betraying Russia....every time sooner or later.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

It depends. The correct behaviour can be forced via script. But I generally suggest to simply create a quick script to annex after alliance so you dont have to worry about it. Would be great if done properly with an aor system as to simulate cooperation.

The simple solution is to implement a coalition system which allows the player to control every faction which joins it. The political system of the game then becomes a case of negotiating the terms of the coalition and/or deciding whether to join it, or join Napoleon's Confederation.

Atm I have a campaign where I am Austria, its set on N/N. I was expecting French resistance and the occasional French patrol fleet. I was expecting decent/stout resistance from France's German and Italian Allies. I was expecting no interference whatsoever on Spain's part. I was also expecting from turn 1 an Ottoman offensive.

What I got was France sending stack after daggone stack at me, though I only get 1 full stack at a time. Though I did manage to take out France's Italian allies very quickly, Switzerland in particular defied me with 25 of their own units and about 10-15 French as support. Once I got Switzerland (due to some maneuvering on my part from the east, south, and by the end north), I consolidated my position with 3 full stacks, one in each city that formed my border with France. In a blitzkrieg campaign I managed to take Provence and move one of my stacks there. By then part of my border was literally Paris, France, though I did not take any of Burgundy/Amsterdam area.

I let Prussia, who decided to be an active out the wazoo ally, take most of that area. They also managed to finish off any German allies of France I didn't and they smashed Denmark to pieces, though Denmark is still alive. Russia surprisingly enough, though they only sent 1 full stack against the French in the beginning of the game, gradually sent more full stacks and some smaller stacks against France, going through my territory to get there. On 2 occasions they have contributed to me winning the field (though they get shot to pieces in the process), and they have helped me hold ground when my lines were very thin (example: 3 full French stacks against 1 of my garrisoned stacks over a period of 5 turns- all my inf units were below half by the end of that last battle and I actually had to combine some, losing some cav units in the process. Britain as usual isn't doing jack really, though I believe they may have crushed most of the more powerful French ships.

Spain surprised me SO MUCH!!!!!! Before I took Provence (which was necessitated by this attack) the Spanish actually sent a full stack at my border, which at the time I managed to spot them I was almost too late to save my city. Then they managed to send about 10 units my way and later on, after I had taken Provence, they deployed 2 full stacks against me on land. I managed to destroy them by ambushing one and facing the second. Meanwhile the Spanish Navy got mad I had sent some trade ships to get myself some ivory, and deployed a full Naval stack against me containing the Santissma Trinidad (140), 3 first rates (122, 109, 106), 2 second rates (99, 98), 1 third rate (74), 2 frigates (38, 32), and 1 trade ship.

At the time I had 3 frigates (38, 38, and 32) in one fleet and 6 third rates (all 74) in another. I also had numerous trading fleets, which ended up evacuating many of their original trade posts to escape destruction. My Frigate Fleet was caught first, and after causing small damage to the over 800 gun fleet (knocked out maybe 60-80 guns) they were toast. Unfortunately Austria cannot even build 80-gun warships, which is sad... but anyway I was intensely proud of my newly minted 6 ship fleet of only 444 guns. If anyone needs clarification, they got destroyed or captured by the enemy. However they did manage to knock out about 200-300 guns and a lot of crew. I proceeded to build a new fleet of 10 third raters (all 74 ofc) which then proceeded to destroy or capture the Spanish fleet (managed to net most of my third raters back that were captured and captured the Santissma and the 106 gun first rate as well), miraculously I only lost one ship.

The Ottomans, to my incredible surprise, have not declared war on me and its 1807! Which is really nice. I have 5 full stacks, 3 of which are deployed to guard my French border, the other two are atm guarding against a possible Prussian attack. Prussia decided to dissolve the alliance, and this worries me, as they have at least 3 full stacks and 1 half stack near my borders.

I have all of Austria's starting territory, Italy, Sicily, and I am as far west as Provence, and as far north as Hessen (the Prussians own Hessen, but I own the territory below that- I forget its name). Russia has its starting territory, Spain has theirs plus Gibraltar, Ottos have theirs, (Portugal, Mecklenburg, Sardinia and Sweden have theirs too). Denmark has their far north province only. Britain has their Isles. France has most of their starting provinces, and Prussia has the rest from Poland to Amsterdam, from Saxony to Copenhagen.

I plan on moving one of my Prussian border stacks to take Gibraltar then move north and finish off spain, as that nation is a pain in my tush atm and I am trying to keep strong borders against the French. If Port, who is allied with spain, declares on me that's cool, my army can finish them off too. I am just worried about a Prussian offensive along the wide border- its insane because there are NO checkpoints. I may be good but armed citizenry and militia only does so well against combat veterans.

Overall I have been surprised how active the other factions are in this game. However I have noticed that in general allies wont support each other specifically.

any faction will do anything you want for enough money. France makes peace with prussia and austria often, and randomly, leaving you to take them on yourself.

my advice: build up your economy, then BRIBE THE LIVING CRUD out of austria and prussia to fight france, whenever they make peace, bribe them to declare war.

sometimes it costs as much as 20000 but its worth it.