Thread: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced!

Centenarius

Default Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced!

Beamdog has announced the Enhanced Edition of Icewind Dale

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/31/ic...ounced-at-pax/

Default Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced!

The Icewind Dale games are nowhere near the epicness of the Baldur's Gate series, so I'll pass.

Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    The Icewind Dale games are nowhere near the epicness of the Baldur's Gate series, so I'll pass.
    Personally i have never played any D&D RPG games. A while ago a friend told me that:
    Icewind Dale is more combat-oriented
    Planescape Torment is more story-oriented
    Baldur's Gate is the balance/union between combat and story, so i will play BG with the new 1.3 patch

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Just enjoy the games, guys. They're all fantastic.
    Last edited by Darth Red; September 02, 2014 at 09:32 AM.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

The plot from Icewind Dale was banal and badly told. Fun enough, though. Heart of Winter was great, though fighting Icasaracht once made me threaten my computer with a katana.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Personally i have never played any D&D RPG games. A while ago a friend told me that:
    Icewind Dale is more combat-oriented
    Planescape Torment is more story-oriented
    Baldur's Gate is the balance/union between combat and story, so i will play BG with the new 1.3 patch
    Icewind Dale is pure dungeon exploration and dungeon romp.

Baldur's Gate is just as story as Planescape Torment. They're just different kinds of story.

All three are awesome fun, but you gotta be willing to put the time into creating all six characters in Icewind Dale, because...wow that takes some time.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I forget, did ID 1 have premade parties too, or was it just the second game?

Anyway, it's a very good game, much more refined than BG and Planescape and people who haven't played it should do so.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; September 01, 2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

ing awesome.
    Don't be ridiculous. I love Icewind Dale. It's a great strategy and dungeon crawl game. Probably the greatest ever made. No side quests and plot to get int he way, just battles, strategy, and character building. I love it and can't wait for this.

Icewind Dale was a better throwback to older RPG and 2nd and 1st edition DND modules. If you like old-school DND modules or classics like the Goldbox series Icewind Dale is solid gold top 10 all time game.

It really captures the essence of what playing DND was all about. Baldurs Gate is a CRPG through and through, Icewind Dale IS Dungeons and Dragons. If you played 2E DND it's like nostalgia in its purest form.

but you gotta be willing to put the time into creating all six characters in Icewind Dale, because...wow that takes some time.
    Designing your party is a large part of the fun in that game. Something that modern games lack severely. It makes me wish a proper dungeon crawl 3E game was made...

The upcoming Pillars of Eternity is going to allow full party design as well, can't wait for it hoping it has a good character building system like Neverwinter Nights had.

The best advantage of IWD is the encounters are typically the best in the Infinity Engine series. BG2 or Planescape may have the best story but this is the best "game".

If you are a strategy gamer AND RPG fan this game is something you need to play. It's also what I would like to see Beamdog take on once they start making their own games, Infinity Engine dungeon crawls. Maybe convert 2E series like the Queen of the Spiders campaign.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_the_Spiders

An added bonus is IWD is also the best of the Infinity Engine series to play multiplayer. Played through it numerous times with friends.
    Last edited by Kanaric; September 02, 2014 at 03:48 AM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Yet another poorly done enchanced edition.

They really need to go all out with these editions, and completely translate all art assets to modern graphics while keeping the same viewpoint.

A shame that all such enchanced editions are always done with the least amount of effort possible in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Yet another poorly done enchanced edition.

They really need to go all out with these editions, and completely translate all art assets to modern graphics while keeping the same viewpoint.

A shame that all such enchanced editions are always done with the least amount of effort possible in it.
    What are you wanting? Total 3D rendering but still isometric? Not happening on an old game.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Not really much of an enchanced edition then.

They said Enhanced. Not Remastered. You're being given an old game that will run on modern operating systems instead of crashing. You want Remastered go pay 100$ for Homeworld. Now be quiet about it.
    Last edited by Gaidin; September 03, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Enhanced in that it's a port to the BG2 engine, something modders were working on for a long time and could never get working back in the day. You have new races, classes, kits were added, dual wielding, they are adding deleted content back to the game, some new content, ai improvements, fixing old engine bugs, patching issues that were never tackled in IWD some fixed just by porting it to BG2 style engine, etc.

How is this not enhanced again?
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.