Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition announced

Miraklum's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition announced

First of all I think this for free for anyone that has the base game is a great gesture. Shows they do have some respect after all. And also providing a beta (about time) is a good strategy. Now well just have to see and wait if they really did listen to us.

I'm curious to see how the revisions turn out in the Emperor edition. I was disappointed with the game at release but CA has made a lot of effort patching it up and now this. They certainly have earned back some of the goodwill and trust that was lost.

Kambe's Avatar Biarchus

So Rome 2 is finally out of beta.

Don't preorder games!

In my opinion, this game has finally become a worthy game in the Total War series. Only things that still bother me are the absence of a family tree and the problem that not all ships can land in a sea/land battle.

Good job CA, you've gone a long way since (a really bad) release, but you've caught up big time!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Thanks Lusted! +rep

Now, since I can't listen to the video (English as second language, not good in listening) can someone give me the gist of what's going to change in the civil wars?

And please no "Like MTW". I haven't played MTW in like 9-10 years.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

The new civil war mechanic sounds interesting if I heard it right. So now instead of a massive rebellion that crushes your empire or makes you rage-quit we will have a return to Empire mechanics where generals rebel when loyalty becomes low or revolt risk in a region or province is too high?

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Thanks Lusted! +rep

Now, since I can't listen to the video (English as second language, not good in listening) can someone give me the gist of what's going to change in the civil wars?

And please no "Like MTW". I haven't played MTW in like 9-10 years.

As far as I can tell, civil wars are preventable, but it is harder to prevent them the bigger your empire is.
    What this means is that you will have to pay a lot more attention to politics.
    There can be multiple civil wars. I assume once 1 civil war is over, the politics start anew and can lead to another civil war.
    Armies controlled by generals in other families will join the civil war against you, rather than just a mass of enemy armies spawning.
    These changes are in the main campaign as well as the free Imperator campaign dlc and HatG.
    Not sure if my info is 100% correct so others may correct me if I have something wrong.
    Last edited by von stoker; August 30, 2014 at 04:14 AM.

Alienor's Avatar Libertus

I'm surprised in a good way by how CA is orienting the game.I didn't expect them to fix siege AI,and they did.I didn't expect a new political system,and they did.And they release it for free,which is fair play and probably to please the fan Tw base that cry since almost one year.

I'm really looking forward to this new political system,hope they ll do something great and interesting.I like the fact that those political changes are not only for the new DLC but also for the grand campaign!

ALso I wonder:will the new building system they spoke about will be on the grand campaign too or only the dlc? (I'll guess it's for both campaing but I didn't see any clear statement about this)

With that new political system,some kind of family tree,or just having some member of your family/clan would have been very cool.Like for example,trying to put your family member at key "posts"/"jobs" (dont know how to say that in english),like it used to be in the roman era.Some at the senate,some at the army,and why not,some being consul? XD

Anyway,even without that,I'm looking forward to it.

Politics and civil war improved...improved as in from 0 to hero or from 0 to 1 i wonder...
    Reg: They've taken everything we had and what have they ever given us in return!?
    Xerxes: The aqueduct. Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah that's true.
    Activist 1: And the sanitation!
    Stan: Oh yes...sanitation, Reg you remember what the city used to be like.
    Reg: all right, that's two things that the Romans have done...
    Matthias: And the roads...
    Reg: Well yes obviously the roads goes without saying. But apart from...
    Activist 2, 3, 4, 5: Irrigation...Medicine...Education...and the wine...
    Francis: Yeah the wine. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm sure most of the fan base, like myself, appreciate the gesture, but are holding their judgement until we see that things are actually fixed. I am cautiously excited to see what becomes of Rome II after the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Gone are the days where CA would promise something and we'd be drooling about it... Nowdays, I'll believe it when I see it.
    I agree 100% mate.I also don't believe a word they say anymore until I see it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Still, an appreciative gesture on their behalf.
    Yes,a nice gesture to give the mini-campaign for free,but it feels completely meaningless to me.Imagine this situation: a boyfriend cheats on his girlfriend and she finds out about it.He knows that he f... up big time so he desperately wants to make up somehow and in the end he buys her an expensive jewel.Will that gesture take away her sense of betrayal,her pain and tears? Hell no! That's exactly how this gesture from CA feels like.Yes,a nice gesture and all,but it can't take away the initial f... up and the betrayal they did on the fans with the pre-release lies,the way they charged us full price for an unfinished pre-alpha and the DLC whoring of cut features.

As for their promises of overhauled features I'll hold judgement until I actually play them.And for this announcement in general I have a feeling that there's a catch coming,but I guess I just have to wait and see.Let's at least hope that the beta will be a real beta this time,not like the beta of patch 14 where the feedback was completely ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Kambe View Post
    So Rome 2 is finally out of beta.
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    The amount of cynicism here just blows my mind. Granted CA/R2TW has deserved the criticism, but they're delivering free content along with an overhaul to one of the community's largest pain points. Then the same complaints come up... what about family tree? What about the UI? What about future patches? Seasons? Capture points are le suck!

The Emperor Edition is nothing but great news, but the mood here is like CA just dropped a turd on your faces. I don't get it.
    This "overhaul" claim is based entirely on the hearsay of CA personnel. That' might be why. Their descriptions via the video are also vague. They've even said that Rome2 after release was a great game and a huge success: why should we interpret what they say as great news? Because they say so?

In any case I don't see a like of cynicism compared to all the blanket praise.

Excited to see the proposed changes! Hope it turns out well!

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by grateful View Post
    Excited to see the proposed changes! Hope it turns out well!
    One thing I am glad to see is, though there are a lot of silly blanket praising with nothing in their hands yet (how do they forget so quickly?), many people are much more half and half cautious. This is good. This is exactly how people must be and let CA know it too. As long as people are thankful for good news, but are not willing to praise until they get what's promise, well, we will get what's promised.

Gone are the days where CA would promise something and we'd be drooling about it... Nowdays, I'll believe it when I see it.
    CA has taught us to be like this. You should have seen me in the early days... and then... to.. ... ...

Now I can only manage a ... even to the best news and sieges are still not completely fixed (the crap torches are still there!)

But I am convinced that our disqueit is having its effect. I'm pretty sure CA would have announced we all have to pay again if they didn't care and weren't listening to some degree. So maybe they do give a .

p.s. I think some people are assuming a little too much from the video though...
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; August 30, 2014 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    Add as many features and DLCs as you like. The core system is still there. It's still focusing on a "wider audience" with consoles in mind.

I love how Jack slipped up during the rally point and used the word "improved" when describing the changes to politics. It's as if they don't know there's something wrong with their game until the consumers start whining.

What frightens me is all these people praising CA for this re release. This only tells them that it's ok to do it again so long as you fix it and implement all advertise features within a year. It also let's other gaming company's know this.
    Yep, I agree with you. Not only that, many features from previous TW games (e.g. technology tree, less intrusive UI, General promotion tree, family tree, etc.) that where strip or damage by poor design judgment will never be fixed. This is it, the rest stays as it is. They probably ran out of money to fix the mess and are throwing a few bones to the lap dogs to see how it goes.

SirPeacemaker's Avatar Centenarius

As for me, it looks like nice try to save sinking ship. We will see if they can get back lost trust from players. This whole civil war thing is so ridiculous (the fact no matter what you do, its just inevitable), so I hope they will really fix it (same with political stuff) and its not just another bunch of PR lies....
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI

Quote Originally Posted by SirPeacemaker View Post
    As for me, it looks like nice try to save sinking ship. We will see if they can get back lost trust from players. This whole civil war thing is so ridiculous (the fact no matter what you do, its just inevitable), so I hope they will really fix it (same with political stuff) and its not just another bunch of PR lies....
    Now this point is what everyone seems to be missing. In the video Lusted said you can't avoid the civil war. Why? Shouldn't you be able to avoid civil if you handle it well enough. It shouldn't be easy, but it should be possible to avoid it. I'm certain in MTW1 it was avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Now this point is what everyone seems to be missing. In the video Lusted said you can't avoid the civil war. Why? Shouldn't you be able to avoid civil if you handle it well enough. It shouldn't be easy, but it should be possible to avoid it. I'm certain in MTW1 it was avoidable.
    No I said the opposite. Civil wars are now no longer unavoidable. If you manage politics well enough you'll never have one occur.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    No I said the opposite. Civil wars are now no longer unavoidable. If you manage politics well enough you'll never have one occur.
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I was rewatching the vid and you do indeed say it can be avoided later on which had me confused. Well that's good.