Thread: Reforms

Default Reforms

Are there already any reforms made in the mod? if so, what are the requisites for them to happen? Im already 82 turns into my roman campaign while having conquered all Italy (including the alps part) and Im beginning to conquer Ilyria, so I was asking myself when and how would they come.

Default Re: Reforms

so..no one knows if they even exist?

Arx's Avatar Laetus

This was discussed in other threads, I don't believe reforms exist for any factions within this release. They only have 200 units spread between the factions, but plan on 500 over future releases. If they had focused on one faction and all the reforms they couldn't have had the others ready when they did. Just sit tight. Why not try some of the other factions for now?

Polybian troops are in the game, though I read that some of them are using placeholder models. I can't comment on how to actually get the reform. The Marian reforms aren't in yet.

Turn number must be above 100
    Have at least 3 battles in the Cisalpine area with an enemy army of 10 units or larger
    Have at least 4 battles against Carthage with an enemy army of 10 units or larger

OR

Be the AI and be on turn 200 or higher

OR

Be the player and be on turn 248 or higher.

Marian and Imperial reforms are not enabled.

Bactria, Pontus, Armenia, Saka, Saba, Numidians, Sauromatae, Pergamon, Gandhara and Parthia all seem to have active reforms in the script. They may not be fully completely implemented though, dunno.

Sweboz has settlement reforms: if you tear down any pasture/herd type buildings (sheep, horses, etc) you will be able to build up your farms higher and construct a building called "Permanent Settlement". This will allow walls to be built, and different/new structures in your settlements. Not a reform as such, but still, I was very happy when I figured out how to do it.

Still not sure what the deal is with the different tribe migration buildings though - they all seem to allow the same units, plus you can already build those units anyway?
    Odi Brassicam!

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

I would like to know if the Pahlava transformation from nomads culture to Eastern Imperial culture is working or not.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to trigger the Roman reforms early in order to just browse around what units will be available where for planning purposes. To do that, I modified campaign_script.txt when the game was completely closed out, then I opened it up again, resumed from a save, and moved forward about 2-3 turns. Unfortunately, nothing happened. Is anyone familiar with sort of thing able to see the issue?

1) The EBII.cfg file has file_first = 1 and disable_file_cache = 1, so it should be properly loading my changed version.
    2) I completely closed and re-entered the game
    3) The modification looks like this:
    if I_LocalFaction f_rome ;;; fall-back automatic reforms for player-controlled Rome
    and I_TurnNumber > 10 ;248
    and I_EventCounter ecCamillanEra = 1
    set_event_counter ecCamillanEra 0
    set_event_counter ecPolybianEra 1
    historic_event HE_POLYBIAN_REFORM { f_rome, }
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    All I changed was to move the 248 over behind a comment and change it to a 10 instead. My displayed turn counter is 155, and the year is 234BC. However after three end-turns, it still doesn't fire, and the units available are still Polybian. Does anyone more script minded have any clue? Is the campaign_script.txt file immune to disable_file_cache or something?

It's possible the campaign script is just like descr_strat and changes only take effect upon a new game. I forget -- been a looong time since Medieval 2 modding was fresh in my mind.

You could probably just start a new game and hit end turn 10 times and see if it does anything.

Yeah. I've had some success with Germanicu5's disable_file_cache find, but maybe that is just for EDB and EDU. I know for sure I got that working when I was tinkering with TATW. Perhaps campaign_script is exempt. Will try a new campaign instead, yeah.

Yep, that worked. I thought disable_file_cache affected campaign_script, but evidently not.

Oh good I can look forward to a boost from 4 to 8 as the base value for the Principes spear attack, as well as a minor shield upgrade from 4 points to 5 points. Reformed Gallic troops are kicking surprising ass as an adversary. Those are the only two changes, but I'm looking forward to it.

Hastati: Change from Camillan -> Polybian removes the "cannot skirmish" attribute, which is the thing the archers use. So I guess the Polybian Hastati have learned to use the skirmish mode to make their harassment easier on the player. Makes sense. Their swords go up from 9 -> 10 base damage. Defense skill from 4 -> 6. Same +1 improvement to the shield that the Principes use.

Triarii improvements are minimal: Shield from 3 -> 5. Nothing else.

Colony sites switch to providing Polybian units when the reform hits, along with the civil government buildings in Rome which are also slowly available in Italia via colonies converting the religion up to 60%.

Colonies are available in:

-Arretium
    -Ariminum
    -Capua
    -Arpi
    -Tarentum
    -Rhegium

So UNLIKE EB 1.2, you don't get to build Polybian units from Liguria/Lombardy (Segesta, Patavium, etc)

When you get those cities up to 60% culture, you can upgrade them to a Ius Latium from the Socii Italia building. You'll probably already have access to military units from the colony buildings that you built in order to actually convert the culture (it seems to maybe do it on its own without such buildings, but VERY slowly), but doing this upgrade will give you a larger replenish rate and max pool size. Plus, moving up this city government chain (think of it like Gov Type 1 from EB 1.2) wll unlock higher tiers of farms and naval improvements, first at the Ius Latium level, and then at the Municipality (req: 80% culture) level. Be warned, however, that going all the way to Municipality before maxing your colony buildings in the Italian cities other than Rome itself will shut you out from maxing the colony buildings (Rome doesn't accept any colony buildings, since obviously it's the source not a destination). These higher colony levels unlock law bonuses (yay for fighting Corruption) at the cost of happiness maluses as well as additional recruitment speed as mentioned. It may be that it was never designed that you could have both a colony and a municipality system, as this will result in every city in Italy having quicker replenishment and larger max pools than Rome itself, which is kind of backwards. In which case, look for fixes in future releases. Heck, I haven't scanned the scripts at all: they may have the scripts delete colony buildings once you build a Municipality even in this release.

Outside of Italy, you can build a Free City under the Roman Rule (as opposed to your options of Oligarchy or Democracy under the Allied chain) directly as long as it's either in illyria, has the roman culture 40% or more, or has culture 'rel_c' and culture 'rel_h' at 40% or more. This is what you will want to do if you don't go the Allied route. You can always upgrade to a Province later without destroying anything if you do the Free City first. The Free City lets you recruit local units PLUS it gives you some free upkeep slots. Going all the way to province makes it impossible to recruit ANY troops. Zero. Zilch. Even in the Polybian era. And 2.0 doesn't go into the Marian. So it looks like your plan should be to make Free Cities rather than Roman Provinces in this game (or try the Allied tree) unless you want to be marching troops from Italy all the time. That said, going to full province status unlocks some top level buildings in the categories of: granaries, docks, coastal patrols (read: more trade routes at the cost of food income), roads, and markets. Obviously when they implement Marian reforms, you should be able to make Legionaries here. So if your borders are in trouble, don't get shiny roads: get free upkeep cities and station locals in there

Anyway, I hope that helped someone as it helped me to lay this all out as I researched. ROMA INVICTA!

So wait, the polybian units are actually in the game? I tried them in the costum battle, but they looked the same as the Cammilian ones so i thought it was a bug.

ipwnu678's Avatar Semisalis

the polybian principes and triarii are in the game, but they obviously dont have a finished model for them yet. HOWEVER the hastati have a polybian model and the polybian equites are still to be put into the EDU. in my honest opinion the polybian shields are a little too small

Laetus

Does principes gets swords instead of spears after reforms, or they are exactly same as Camilian ones?

ipwnu678's Avatar Semisalis

they should get swords and will hopefully look similar to the ones in De Bello Mundi