Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uesegi are proving a real challenge to play.

Default Re: Uesegi are proving a real challenge to play.

I managed to complete the campaign and that was actually the last of the campaign victory achievements I needed for the full set. However, I only managed it by getting my son to play Takeda so at some point I might give it another go as a single player, and see if I can deal with Takeda's hatred.

I gave Uesugi a try but man, it is tough. I got Sado at turn 5 and beat back Jinbo. I saved the game at turn 5 and tried different possibilities, but none too good. Going south will run into strong resistance as Takeda, Hojo, and imagama seem to like to ally together. I succeeded going West wiping out Jinbo and Ikko Ikki. However, Ikko Ikki territories are difficult to occupy. I have to constantly beat back rebels. Going eat is not fun either. It takes forever to go from one place to another, and Date armies are pretty tough.

It seems that you have no choice but to abandon the vassel or else you will virtually be in war with everyone because everyone will declare war against your vassel. I figured that I have to conquer Jinbo otherwise they will just keep bother you. But after that, I am stuck and don't know what to do next.

Also the problem with Uesugi is that warrior monks are very very far away. I can't afford anything other than ashigaru. Right now I am thinking about building a navy to get the two closest trade nodes next to me.

I'm new to the game and picked Uesugi because I thought why not jump in the deep end. Playing on normal though.

First game I took too much time and wasted turns. Took over Etchu and a while later Higa and Noto, taking over Sado only at turn 25 or so (castle was lightly defended but a strong navy was about which I managed to bypass and unload my troops on the island before my own weak navy was obliterated). I allied with Takeda and soon enough Hojo approached me for an alliance as well. By turn 30-something Hojo was a mammoth that held entire Tohoku and the Kanto coast, while Takeda was split in two by a resilient lesser clan but none the less also much stronger than me militarily. On top of that Hida, Noto and Etchu were plagued by Ikko Ikki revolts all the time, I was afraid to march my main forces from the capital all the way to Ikko Ikki for fear of betrayal by Takeda or Hojo, in the end since I expected to be gobbled up by someone sooner or later I banzaid everything at Takeda and got narrowly defeated (though they likely had more armies, I didn't).

Second game I learned to upgrade roads and farms straight away and pursue trade nodes. The Jimbo made peace with me early on and I took Sado by turn 6 or so. Takeda declared war but I managed to get my force back in time to defend the capital and crush Takeda's attack. I took over Noto next, which pissed off Date as it was allied with Hatakayama. This was a mistake because with Hojo being allied with Takeda, Date was my only hope. Even Ikko Ikki was unfriendly to me. I allied with a pathetic Jimbo and another lesser clan whose name I can't remember. I had more troops than Takeda could comfortably defeat in my capital but then an experienced and massive Hojo army came and took my home province, destroying the bulk of my army. I ignored my vassal in both games.

Going to try the third time tomorrow, I hope everyone allying against you isn't often the case...I thought Takeda and Hojo should be the biggest rivals here, yet they were allied in both my games, once including me and once against me.

Quote Originally Posted by roxunreal View Post
    I allied with Takeda and soon enough Hojo approached me for an alliance as well.
    You were lucky to manage that. Takeda are programmed to hate you, having long standing historical rivalries with your clan, thats why we chose them as the other clan in our Co-op campaign.

Well, they allied together in the third game too, but Takeda was also allied to me at their own proposal. I took over Sado in the first turns, made peace with Jimbo, allied with Takeda, went to take over Noto but Takeda beat me to it by one turn (my army landed via sea right by the city and literally stood there as Takeda just swooped in and grabbed it. Rather than break the alliance, I retreated. As Ashina was being smart while I was away and declared war (they did the exact same thing in a previous game), I erased them from history and took over Fukushima and Shimotsuke. Much to my horror, Hojo then promptly declared war on me, after a few ninja omens from them. They blockaded my Fukushima port with a mighty navy (my more modest one was busy with pirates along my northern trade routes), and Takeda broke the alliance with me, siding with Hojo but not declaring war. I retreated from Shimotsuke as Hojo had a formidable full-samurai army incoming, my main army complete with Daimyo retreating to Fukushima where I had a few more ashigaru left and another in the making, every little bit counts. I was allied with Date for a while but they broke off the alliance, and throughout the campaign I would try to make an alliance with them, they would demand 600 gold, I would accept and then they would just cancel the alliance in the next turn or two. The battle of Fukushima seemed rather hopeless as I was up against a full samurai army with three generals, my army was maybe 1/4 samurai, but my ashigaru were mostly level 4 experience. Their army was also larger by two units than mine. In the colossal castle battle that ensured I managed to somehow pull off a Pyrrhic victory. I pursued the remnants of the Hojo army with my own crippled army and killed it off to the last man. My army remained in Fukushima for a while to replenish.

Meanwhile even before the battle of Fukushima took place, right after Hojo's war declaration, I had another much more modest but quality army attack Hojo from the direction of my capital and take Kozuke. Made up of three katana samurai, a unit of warrior monks (the mission reward for researching essence of the spirit), and 2-3 ashigaru units, flying on the wings of my my new found confidence and Hojo's military catastrophe, from Kozuke it retook Shimotsuke and also rolled over Hitachi, Musashi and Shimosa, encountering light resistance as what ever Hojo had left it tried to use to retake Kozuke. It was a small army of four samurai units, but my garrison in Kozuke were two ashigaru units. Combined with retainers, again somehow against my own expectations this turned into a pretty nice victory. Bleeding all over the place, Hojo finally begged for peace just as the Date snakes declared war. Even though I'd have loved nothing more than to run Hojo into the sea completely, I had to accept as I need to fight Date now while Hojo isn't much of a threat. Hojo has three tiny coastal provinces left in Kanto/Chubu, but still retains a mighty fleet.

This is how far I got today. I was lucky that Takeda never joined the fray on Hojo's side as it has its own Ikko Ikki troubles in the west. My plan is to now boost my Fukushima army in anticipation of Date, as well as keep something on the border with Hojo, and if funds permit, finish them off sooner rather than later. I developed a lot of Chi before I switched to Bushido, all the way to Terrace farming and Essence of the Spirit before I went for strategy of offense/defense and beyond. I'm still strapped for cash most of the time, my income is about 1500 koku and my treasury anywhere between 500 and 3000 per turn. I had a whooping 8 rice units at one point, with no money to spare for upgrading provinces. I upgraded the gold mine on Sado as far as it goes, have two trade nodes and terrace farming in most places. Still for a long time there weren't many partners to trade with as my land neighbors were not nicely disposed towards me, my southern ports were blockaded and many northern sea trade partners prone to being conquered. Perhaps I should finish off Hojo and try to take care of Date while Takeda and Ikki fight each other, I don't want to trigger realm divide with these slimy Date behind my back.

Pretty awesome game.

Foederatus

This is ridiculous. I'm playing Uesugi Legendary Domination, and I just took Ugo from Date. It's 1569. I've been turtling in Sado and it's churning out some wealth. While turtling I only kept a couple of land units and have been fighting over Iron and Horse trade nodes, and just fended off an invasion. My generals are leveling up quickly as I use them to command fleets. I briefly took back Echigo right before my heir came of age and bam he appears there, and is immediately besieged by Takeda and Date working as allies. Excepting perhaps some minor clans I haven't seen yet, there are 4 superpowers: Date, Ikko Ikki, Shimazu, and Chosokabe. Ikko Ikki occupy the center of the map (Owari, Omi, etc).

Here's the thing: they are not at war with each other. Chosokabe isn't at war at all, but Ikko Ikki, Shimazu, Date and their ally Hatekeyama are all at war with me! What did I do? I've been sitting quietly in Sado for most of the game, the clan relations coloring don't show any widespread love showering Japan, yet it seems everyone is united to wipe me out. What did I do?

Well you are playing Legendary, so you have the maximum relationship penalty possible. Ikko Ikki basically hate everyone anyway because of their religion. Date probably want Sado Island as they usually fight Honma over it in the early game, so I suspect it's one of their target provinces. I'm not sure why there isn't any in fighting going on, there usually is even on Legendary difficulty. But I guess the bottom line is that to the AI you look like a nice easy target sitting on a gold mine, if you were the AI wouldn't you make a play for it.

I recently bought the game and Uesegi are my first attempt at doing the main campaign. (I played Rise of the Samurai first, as the Fujiwara) I'm only playing on Normal, but I have found a couple of tricks that supplement the other suggestions already made here.

1. Monks are really helpful.

I have two monks (after which I torched the monasteries). I use one monk in my largest army stack and always make sure he's inspiring the troops before any major battle. The other monk, I have following the army around and I use him to demoralize enemy forces. I make sure not initiate an attack against a large force unless the demoralization was successful. My army stack is about 60/40 archer-heavy, so I usually have an advantage when defending, as I can grab a hill.

These monks working in conjunction like this, give your force a morale advantage. This enables your Ashigaru (which as previous posters have mentioned, will be the bulk of your army) to stand for much longer against the enemy who is (hopefully) lowered in morale. It makes battles against higher-quality or more experienced troops far more manageable. Supplement this with putting your warrior monks (like the unit you get for the Essence of the Spirit Quest) in the thickest melee fighting and using Warcry. These abilities working in conjunction can cause major breaks and retreats among enemy melee forces, handy against enemies like katana samurai and yari samurai.

Secondly, I have two metsuke from markets in conquered lands. I burned the markets after hiring them, but using them as magistrates can partially offset the aforementioned koku shortages.

These have helped me fight against several much larger and more samurai-heavy Date forces on more than one occasion, and recover fast enough to snatch a province or two, and keep them reinforced enough to stave off betrayals.

Hope this helps.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I did it too!
    All I did was take out Sado first. Then I marched West and wiped out everything up in that corner and conquered all the way to Wakasa and Echizen (although later on I lost Wakasa to revolt by the Sakai clan, but that's fine since I only needed the Ikko Ikki to disappear so they wouldn't be a nuisance).

Then I found the Oda so I allied with them as the controlled Omi and Mino and were at war with the Takeda. Ashina marched into Kozuke and wiped out my vassal but I backed down since I couldn't fight them. After a couple turns I marched Uesugi Kenshin back from Echizen to the Takeda territories and likewise I took my other army back from Sado and marched it into Kozuke together with a third army I had been raising (thus starting war against Ashina). The Takeda had an army in South Shinano fighting the Oda so I quickly took Hida then with the other two armies overran Kozuke and sent one to invade the Ashina further eastwards and the other army marched into North Shinano. Takeda Shingen walked out to block my path into North Shinano as I was crossing Kozuke. Luckily I had a skilled ninja which sabotaged his army and did not allow it to move.

My army further east took the main Ashina region but I had to run back to try and fight Shingen (the Ashina had another region further south out of my reach but their army was gone, then the Hojo took their last region). I walked Kenshin into North Shinano and took that region and my two armies encircled Shingen. The other army I was bringing from the Ashina lands I sent to invade the Hojo as I saw Musashi and the former Satomi lands without armies. Then a full stack of Hojo advances eastwards and takes back Musashi. But I brought that army to Musashi again and wiped them out and then proceeded to take Sagami and the rest of Hojo land.

I took 5 units out of Echizen down to Mino to help my Oda allies beat back an Imagawa invasion. I also invaded the Imagawa from the east with the army that had just conquered the Hojo (I took Suruga and the Oda took Mikawa and Totomi). In the north my two armies beat Shingen and then I took one army to take South Shinano from Takeda and Uesugi Kenshin took Kai province. Meanwhile I was busy raising an army in Echigo and a half stack in Sado. I took the army in Suruga (same one that beat Ashina, Hojo and Imagawa) and marched it to the Date border as well as my other army in Echigo (the half stack in Sado I put in a fleet and sailed it to the top province under control of the Mogami). However the Date declared war on the Mogami and wiped them out as I was doing this. Finally I sent two armies to invade the Date from the south and my half stack landed on the Western side of northern Japan and conquered those regions. I had then conquered all the way to Echizen in the north, taken Sado, conquered the Takeda lands in the mountains, conquered all of the Hojo lands and the Kanto region, captured Suruga province and all of the northern areas. Meaning that when realm divide happened I would only have to fight on one front. Actually if I captured just one more region I would get realm divide. So instead I decided to wait 20 turns to develop my regions and raise new armies.

In the west the Oda had conquered the Home Provinces surrounding Kyoto, the Chosokabe had conquered Shikokku island, the Kitabatake were just sitting there in Ise and the Otomo had conquered Kyushu and were marching up Chugoku. So me, the Kitabatake, Oda and Chosokabe all allied together in anticipation for an Otomo onslaught. It finally happened and the Otomo invaded Settsu, Yamato and Kawachi. But I had sent about four armies in the Oda territory to assist them against the Otomo. The next turn I quickly marched into Kawachi and Yamato and I got Realm Divide. The Chosokabe and Kitabatake declared war on me but the Oda stayed on my side. I mobilized the other six armies I had and marched into the home provinces but I had some armies en route along Oda provinces on the south and I decided to break my alliance to seize these unguarded territories in case the Oda attacked me as well next turn. I continued these marches and seized all of the Home provinces except Kii (which was held by the Oda) and since the Oda rushed two armies to relieve their castle in Omi (which I finally they took) they had two armies standing right next to Kyoto so I made peace and asked for an alliance with Oda in hope that their two armies and my two armies could defeat the Ashikaga Shogun. I besieged Kyoto and their armies as reinforcements let me capture Kyoto. Finally I went back on my promise again and invaded Kii with a half stack in Kawachi, honestly it was a close battle that I almost lost down there but upon capturing Kii the Oda disappeared.

From this point I set my sights on the Otomo mostly and I overran the Chugoku as far as Bichu and Hoki. I also landed four armies onto Awaji island and Awa province on Kyushu to conquer the Chosokabe. After overrunning Awaji and Awa I headed north and defeated the two Chosokabe armies up there and then I continued until I beat the last Chosokabe army and conquered all their regions. From there I sent my fleet in Suruga and Settsu to Tosa to start loading troops to invade Kyushu.

I also sent reinforcements from Etchu on ships to attack the Otomo behind their lines in Chugoku. Because of Christianity most of my provinces in Chugoku rebelled but I opted to retreat, since rebel provinces can't join realm divide. So I continued west into Chugoku to wipe out the Otomo, allowing the provinces behind me to rebel if need be. The armies I brought into the Home Provinces continued west to mop up the rebels eventually and stabilize the region (by this point I have about 11 armies). I sent one army by ship to Bungo and the other to Hyuga. I continued on the north coast of Chugoku all the way to the bottom tip of Honshu. On the south side I was being held up in Bingo and Aki by three Otomo armies and some rebels but eventually I cleared the whole south side too. Then I marched in with four more armies to the top of Kyushu. Another army came out from the bottom of Kysuhu to attack my army in Hyuga but I crushed those too. My army in Bungo marched west to seize the provinces on the other side of the island. The five armies at the top alternated between keeping down rebels and marching west to seize the two regions in the top west of that island. Finally the army I had in Hyuga conquered Osumi and Satsuma and I conquered Japan.

It was actually a really fun campaign, the real challenge is taking out the Ikko Ikki and conquering Kanto as well as the northern areas. Personally I thought the Takeda were too easy, but that might be because they sent one of their two armies to invade Oda, so I opportunistically attacked them in Shinano, Hida and Kozuke.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Foederatus

It looks like Date and Ikko Ikki went to war for a turn or two. They're at peace now. So once again, the only war going on is the one of everyone else against me and my 3 provinces (Sado, Ugo, Iwate).

True an undefended castle at Sado seems tempting but it's surrounded by a series of fleets dedicated to prevent any possible landing. 2 full Shimazu stacks sunk so far.

Relationship graph shows everyone hates Ikko Ikki, yet no one (except me) is at war with them. Unfortunately Shimazu remains Shinto so no religious strife there.

Quote Originally Posted by roxunreal View Post
    Well, they allied together in the third game too, but Takeda was also allied to me at their own proposal. I took over Sado in the first turns, made peace with Jimbo, allied with Takeda, went to take over Noto but Takeda beat me to it by one turn (my army landed via sea right by the city and literally stood there as Takeda just swooped in and grabbed it. Rather than break the alliance, I retreated. As Ashina was being smart while I was away and declared war (they did the exact same thing in a previous game), I erased them from history and took over Fukushima and Shimotsuke. Much to my horror, Hojo then promptly declared war on me, after a few ninja omens from them. They blockaded my Fukushima port with a mighty navy (my more modest one was busy with pirates along my northern trade routes), and Takeda broke the alliance with me, siding with Hojo but not declaring war. I retreated from Shimotsuke as Hojo had a formidable full-samurai army incoming, my main army complete with Daimyo retreating to Fukushima where I had a few more ashigaru left and another in the making, every little bit counts. I was allied with Date for a while but they broke off the alliance, and throughout the campaign I would try to make an alliance with them, they would demand 600 gold, I would accept and then they would just cancel the alliance in the next turn or two. The battle of Fukushima seemed rather hopeless as I was up against a full samurai army with three generals, my army was maybe 1/4 samurai, but my ashigaru were mostly level 4 experience. Their army was also larger by two units than mine. In the colossal castle battle that ensured I managed to somehow pull off a Pyrrhic victory. I pursued the remnants of the Hojo army with my own crippled army and killed it off to the last man. My army remained in Fukushima for a while to replenish.

Meanwhile even before the battle of Fukushima took place, right after Hojo's war declaration, I had another much more modest but quality army attack Hojo from the direction of my capital and take Kozuke. Made up of three katana samurai, a unit of warrior monks (the mission reward for researching essence of the spirit), and 2-3 ashigaru units, flying on the wings of my my new found confidence and Hojo's military catastrophe, from Kozuke it retook Shimotsuke and also rolled over Hitachi, Musashi and Shimosa, encountering light resistance as what ever Hojo had left it tried to use to retake Kozuke. It was a small army of four samurai units, but my garrison in Kozuke were two ashigaru units. Combined with retainers, again somehow against my own expectations this turned into a pretty nice victory. Bleeding all over the place, Hojo finally begged for peace just as the Date snakes declared war. Even though I'd have loved nothing more than to run Hojo into the sea completely, I had to accept as I need to fight Date now while Hojo isn't much of a threat. Hojo has three tiny coastal provinces left in Kanto/Chubu, but still retains a mighty fleet.

This is how far I got today. I was lucky that Takeda never joined the fray on Hojo's side as it has its own Ikko Ikki troubles in the west. My plan is to now boost my Fukushima army in anticipation of Date, as well as keep something on the border with Hojo, and if funds permit, finish them off sooner rather than later. I developed a lot of Chi before I switched to Bushido, all the way to Terrace farming and Essence of the Spirit before I went for strategy of offense/defense and beyond. I'm still strapped for cash most of the time, my income is about 1500 koku and my treasury anywhere between 500 and 3000 per turn. I had a whooping 8 rice units at one point, with no money to spare for upgrading provinces. I upgraded the gold mine on Sado as far as it goes, have two trade nodes and terrace farming in most places. Still for a long time there weren't many partners to trade with as my land neighbors were not nicely disposed towards me, my southern ports were blockaded and many northern sea trade partners prone to being conquered. Perhaps I should finish off Hojo and try to take care of Date while Takeda and Ikki fight each other, I don't want to trigger realm divide with these slimy Date behind my back.

To follow up on this, this try turned out to be a success.

After neutralizing the Date offensive at the second and equally hopeless looking battle of Fukushima that still turned out to be a victory for me, I finished off the remnants of Hojo despite its constant squealing for peace. Takeda, my ally, was jumped by Ikko Ikki and it looked like its days were numbered, I used the fact that the entire east was now mine and that Takeda and Ikko Ikiki were busy with each other to develop my economy further and stack up on koku. Takeda in the end managed to make a comeback, and I seized Kaga, Hida and Etchu from Ikko Ikki. Being right before realm divide, I spent another several years building armies, stacking koku and marrying two daughters into Takeda. I had six full stack armies with mostly samurai, and a few warrior monk units in each. Chosokabe declared war and landed in Hitachi, but were easily repelled. I built three rather weak fleets and decided to transport three full armies to south Japan, one to Shikoku and two to Kyushu, so I can attack on two fronts when realm divide kicks in. Meanwhile despite being extremely close with Takeda, they simply turned their cloak one day and attacked me, this was before realm divide. I repelled two of their armies and entered their lands, but didn't take over any province as to not trigger RD before my southern forces were ready.

The navy going along the southern coast for Shikoku encountered a much stronger Chosokabe navy and I was forced to change plans and land my troops in Kii. The other two navies traveled along the north coast and landed in Hizen and Tsukushi. All three navies were sunk by enemies after they landed, but the main thing was that my troops were in position. I promptly took over north Kyushu and had one army guard the north of the island while the other advanced towards the south. The army in Kii took over Kawachi and Yamato, but then stayed in a castle repelling a Chosokabe assault. Further east, there were several large battles with Takeda which I mostly won, slowly but surely taking over province by province and moving my border further to the west. Ikko Ikki was already destroyed by Takeda by this point. My land armies came upon a few hard fights but were more or less unstoppable. My naval forces were near nonexistent though, so I just built a few for transporting armies between islands before the ships were destroyed by enemy navies. If the AI thought of getting a ship full of troops to my north-eastern lands I would be utterly powerless to do anything.

By the time I reached Kyoto, I had entire Kyushu and over 40 provinces under my command, but I took my time and went on towards conquering the rest of Kansai and Chugoku, then Shikoku, taking over entire Japan by year 1587, before finally turning on Kyoto. This was on normal as I'm new to the game.

If you play very hard or even just hard, I think some of the things will not occur. I can never ally with Takeda no matter what I did. Also some people said they can make peace with Jinbo in the beginning, I can never do that either.

Many people said nobody in the East will attack you if you don't attack them, I found that to be true. However, I face constant threads from the West and South. As soon as I conquer Jinbo, I am under constant attacks from Ikko Ikki from the West and Takeda from the South. I think for very hard mode, the AI will purposely pick on human players.

Foederatus

Well, it's about 1591 and I have half the provinces I need for a Uesugi Legendary Domination win. The other superpowers remaining are Hojo and Chosokabe. Basically: I moved to Sado asap, set taxes to minimum and turtled for about 30 years while grabbing the two northeast-most provinces. For a while there I had 10 ships on each trade node. I now control the entire east side of the map and plan to grind my way west. I did a similar grind in a recent Hojo Legendary Domination win where I got to 60 in the very last turn.

Foederatus

Ok, finished Uesugi Legendary Domination win on Autumn 1600 turn. Used two-part strategy, certainly different from the how game is supposed to be played.

1) Move to Sado and turtle 30+ years
    2) Breakout, be like Mongols loot every big city to fuel rapid advance.

I had taken over 2 provinces from the Hatekeyama, Ugo and the one directly south of Ugo, during the 1560-1570's. I also managed to control every trade node. Sado was built for wealth and after I got the highest nina building with it's 25% bonus, combined with en excellent Metsuke sitting in Sado for decades, my tax rate for Sado could exceed 100% on high/very high levels. During turtle phase (except for the wars against Hatakeyama), I kept basically no troops, built lots of Bow ships, and had my generals all command fleets.

Meanwhile Hojo and Chosokabe split Japan between them, grinding down the Christian Shimazu which had about one third the map at one point. I was trading with Shimazu though allied w/Hojo and Chosokabe. Also giving them funds to prolong their war. The same turn Shimazu died Hojo broke it's alliance with me. I had to get 57 provinces in 20 years.

Around 1580, after building up a large army (bow samurai + ashigaru), and a war chest of about 30k, I planned to invade Hojo. Chosokabe remained allied for a while. Hojo had taken the Shogunate, and while tyne diplomacy chart showed 'Realm Divide' negatives I never got a 'Real Divide' notification video. I attacked several provinces on the northern coast right below Sado, though not immediately Echigo since I didn't want to relocate my capital yet.

I noted the Warrior Nuns move further on the campaign map than other infantry units, while the Uesugi marathon Monks don't get any campaign map move bonus. Perhaps that's a bug, one would think from the description such a bonus would go to the marathon monks.

Chosokabe was rich beyond the dreams of avarice, when I landed on his island in force the metsuke came out and bribed away more than half my army.

Last few turns were desperate with a dozen or two small fleets with small armies trying to make it to the coast of the western island and drop off armies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12