Thread: Question about matchlock mechanics

Default Question about matchlock mechanics

1. Does distance affect kill rate? In other words, does the famous phrase "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" apply in this game?

2. How do I see friendly fire kill rate? During siege defense, I like to bring my naginata samurai out to the bottom of the wall where the my matchlock is situated. This prevents the enemy from climbing the wall and allows matchlocks to fire on top. However, my samurai will have a status something like "concerned about friendly fire". I thought if my matchlock is already on top of a melee, there wouldn't be friendly fire issue?

Also after melee starts, even if I put my matchlock units behind my line instead of flanks, they still fire a lot. They are able to shoot at enemies at the edge of a line that is engaging. But I always wonder if they kill many of my guys.

3. Do you use skirmish mode? I only tried skirmish mode once, but my dudes retreated in the face of charging enemies without firing a shot. Skirmish modes for archers are useful since I don't have to micromanage them, but I wonder if skirmish mode can work properly for matchlocks.

BTW, I love using matchlocks. My imported matchlock ashigarus get more kills than bow ashigarus and can out skirmish enemy bow ashigarus. I usually use two units at the front of an army. When melee starts, I move them to the flanks. They get lots of kills, but I am not sure whether they are all enemy units or include some of my own guys.

Default Re: Question about matchlock mechanics

1) Yes. Well, it affect's the accuracy, which equals kills. Closer they are, the more accurate the volley, the more bullets that will slam into your dishonorabru enemy.

2) You don't. Also turn off fire at will if you don't want your matchlocks to fire into your back.

3) Don't use it, especially since fire by rank is bugged to the point where they'll never actually fire. Micro your matchlocks away by yourself if you want to get the most effect from them.

Artifex

Default Re: Question about matchlock mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by joeman_0 View Post
    1. Does distance affect kill rate? In other words, does the famous phrase "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" apply in this game?
    Yes. The engine calculates every bullet's flight path. The closer the enemy, the easier it is to hit the enemy.

2. How do I see friendly fire kill rate?
    Not at all.

3. Do you use skirmish mode? I only tried skirmish mode once, but my dudes retreated in the face of charging enemies without firing a shot. Skirmish modes for archers are useful since I don't have to micromanage them, but I wonder if skirmish mode can work properly for matchlocks.
    Skirmish mode does work. However, due to the broken vanilla battle system with its unrealistic unit movement speed, it produces such bad results.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai