Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Launcher & String and CTD issues(post here)

Default Re: First bug report. :(

tried to load a 2.2r savegame and CTD: Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.

16:21:11.698 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_2.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.698 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_3.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.698 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_4.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.698 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_5.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.698 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_6.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_7.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_8.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_9.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_10.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_11.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_12.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_13.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_14.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_15.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_16.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_17.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_18.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_19.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.699 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_20.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.700 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_21.tga
    16:21:11.700 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_6.tga,2359340
    16:21:11.700 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_screen_6.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.845 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/descr_transition_screen.txt (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.845 [system.io] [trace] file open,,1B30B890,16786
    16:21:11.845 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/ebii/data/descr_transition_screen.txt (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.845 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.846 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga.dds
    16:21:11.846 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:11.846 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ebii/mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga
    16:21:11.846 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga.dds,,not found
    16:21:11.846 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga.dds is missing
    16:21:11.846 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga,262188
    16:21:11.846 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:12.788 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:12.789 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds
    16:21:12.789 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:12.789 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ebii/mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga
    16:21:12.789 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds,,not found
    16:21:12.789 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
    16:21:12.789 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga,27957
    16:21:12.789 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/ebii/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga (from: D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold)
    16:21:13.013 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.

Default Re: Launcher & String and CTD issues(post here)

An excerpt of the log is largely useless. Like the message says, compress the whole log and attach it to a post.

Hey guys,

First of all, great mod! I have been loving it so far, and have no complaints whatsoever.

So I just had a CTD, and am trying to post the error log in a zip file, but the log is so damn big itself (just under 500Mb) that I can't get it compressed down to be small enough for TWCenter to let me upload it (there seems to be a 10Mb ceiling for uploads). Any ideas on what I should do? Is there a section of the log I should delete, or should I pm it to someone? Thanks in advance.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Host it on Mediafire, Dropbox or the like.

I was pretty sure the issue was just my computer overheating, cause I had been playing for a while, and my computer is wont to crash games when it feels overused or abused. I have rerun the battle that caused the CTD and had no issues, so I am fairly certain that's what it was. Should I still post the error log, or leave it and wait to see if something happens again? I can understand that any information could be useful for you guys for purposes of finding potential bugs, but I also assume it's also a fair bit of work to figure out what may have gone wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Host it on Mediafire, Dropbox or the like.
    I've no experience with hosting on Mediafire, but I do use Dropbox. If I put it up there, I'd still need to email a link to someone though, right? Or can I just post the link here? (I use dropbox to sync my home and work computers, but am not as experienced with opening things up to other people)
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Long sessions will make the game unstable, the game balloons up in memory as time goes by regardless of anything else. Make sure you've set the logging method to error, rather than trace in your EBII.cfg - it makes a big difference to performance and stability.

You can post the link here, you don't need to email it to anyone. Right click on the file and it should give you the option to copy the link location. Worth posting anyway, though I suspect it won't tell us much given it's non-recurring.

Long sessions will make the game unstable, the game balloons up in memory as time goes by regardless of anything else. Make sure you've set the logging method to error, rather than trace in your EBII.cfg - it makes a big difference to performance and stability.
    The EBII.cfg is set to trace, which I would bet contributed a bit to the ctd, cause I did notice that the log had drastically different sizes each time I checked it after playing for a bit. Just to make sure I change it correctly, should it look like the following?

[log]
    to = mods/ebii/logs/eb.system.log.txt
    level = * error
    You can post the link here, you don't need to email it to anyone. Right click on the file and it should give you the option to copy the link location. Worth posting anyway, though I suspect it won't tell us much given it's non-recurring.
    I also suspect the log won't be of much use, but in case you guys think it may be worth looking into, here's the link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozh7svn8q4...m.log.zip?dl=0
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Yep, we recommend you leave it set to error, as you have it above, except if you hit a recurring crash. Then switch it back to trace to capture the log data, post your log, and switch back to error again.

As I suspected on that log:

Code:
    01:04:33.458 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38484 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38489 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38494 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38499 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38504 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38509 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38514 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38519 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38524 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38529 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 38534 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    01:04:33.459 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <general_gains_command_experience_from_battle> fired
    01:04:33.485 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.
    Doing normal stuff, then crash out of nowhere.

Thanks Quintus!

I've got the log only tagging errors now, and will keep on eye on how long my sessions go. And I am not surprised that there was nothing to indicate the crash, cause right as the game CTD'd, I was like "That's what you get for playing computer for hours on end".
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

That kind of crash should be less frequent with the logging set to error - you no longer have a ballooning log file using up precious memory. Set to trace, logs can reach hundreds of MBs in size. Set to error, they rarely get into hundreds of KBs.

Hello, I installed EB II and have encountered several CTDs over the past few days. Either they're taking place during a turn, as I load up for a battle, or as I end a battle. Is there anything I can do to avoid this? eb.system.log.rareb.system.log.rar

Hey guys,

Just had a CTD after a battle, so I figured I'd upload the log, in case there is any useful troubleshooting you could use. Background info that might be helpful:
    I had been playing for a bit, so it is possible the CTD was not so much game related, but rather my computer being tetchy because it was too warm - that sometimes happens to me.
    Also, I was only running the battle to kill off a general from a hording faction, so maybe that could have affected things, though I think that's unlikely.
    That's probably everything that could be useful to know. Hope the log proves helpful in some fashion.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh3kcfc2iw...m.log.zip?dl=0
    Let me know if there are any issues accessing the log, as I have not linked dropbox files like this before (I always send permissions to people via email).
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Hey guys,

Just had a CTD after a battle, so I figured I'd upload the log, in case there is any useful troubleshooting you could use. Background info that might be helpful:
    I had been playing for a bit, so it is possible the CTD was not so much game related, but rather my computer being tetchy because it was too warm - that sometimes happens to me.
    Also, I was only running the battle to kill off a general from a hording faction, so maybe that could have affected things, though I think that's unlikely.
    That's probably everything that could be useful to know. Hope the log proves helpful in some fashion.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh3kcfc2iw...m.log.zip?dl=0
    Let me know if there are any issues accessing the log, as I have not linked dropbox files like this before (I always send permissions to people via email).
    Firstly, there's no need to host a file that small offsite, if the zip is under 10MB you can attach it to a post.

Secondly, you've got logging set at error (which is fine for normal running), but won't give us much detail to diagnose a fault. It'll often be the case with battle faults, if they're intermittent rather than repeating, that we'll never know the cause as a result. Because running with trace on will crash the game regularly.

Thirdly, there's nothing unusual in your log from what little can be gleaned:

Code:
    15:53:02.896 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <define_unit_group>, at line 39630, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: 
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu40'.
    15:59:08.220 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.
    There's six minutes (which is aeons in processor time) between the last error and the crash, absolutely anything could have happened in that span of time. You've been playing just over an hour, all I can assume is that your memory was full from the session length.

Thanks Quintus. I also figured as much, but just thought I'd post it, as I know you guys are always looking for possible bugs that need fixing. Out of curiosity, does a faction hordeing add a bit more to the used memory? Because I had just taken the last Massylii settlement a bit before the crash, and could imagine that having contributed.

Also, would you recommend as a general rule that if we want to play a longer session to just close the game and reopen it after an hour or so? Would that clear everything and help minimize crashes?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Thanks Quintus. I also figured as much, but just thought I'd post it, as I know you guys are always looking for possible bugs that need fixing. Out of curiosity, does a faction hordeing add a bit more to the used memory? Because I had just taken the last Massylii settlement a bit before the crash, and could imagine that having contributed.

Also, would you recommend as a general rule that if we want to play a longer session to just close the game and reopen it after an hour or so? Would that clear everything and help minimize crashes?
    Yes, I would assume horde-ing uses a big chunk of memory. M2TW appears not to clear memory during an active session (at all), so the longer it goes on, the more will be used. Run for long enough and you will get a memory leak.

Regularly save, quit and load again if you're going for a lengthy play session. An hour isn't a bad yardstick, though if you've played a big battle, that's also a good point to save, quit and reload.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to stick to that rule of thumb from now on.

The crash I had however was not just a "played too long" issue, because I just did the battle again, and it crashed afterward. The battle was the first thing I did after loading (I usually save before a big battle, in case I have a CTD immediately afterward; I've played enough TW games to know when to cover my ), so the issue must be there somewhere. Now, I can't seem to find it right now, but I remember seeing the other day something on the bug forum about battles with more than 3 reinforcement armies causing a CTD. Now, that's what I have going on here, cause I am attacking the group of horded armies, and they are getting three stacks to join them mid-battle. Is there something I should do to avoid the crash, or is this a problem that I can't get around? Unfortunately, I also can't auto-resolve the battle, cause I am just attacking them to thin their troops with archers and then pull out, and auto-resolve will commit my guys entirely, getting them cut to bits.

Anyway, here is the error log, in case this one has anything you can use. Alternatively, if you happen to know where that discussion about CTD's related to three reinforcement stacks is, a link would be most appreciated. Attachment 348429
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Code:
    19:31:15.633 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <define_unit_group>, at line 39630, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: 
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu40'.
    19:50:42.376 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.
    Another eternity with no useful error messages from near the time of the crash, sorry.
    If you autoresolve the battle (I realize you want to play it out, but we're just diagnosing at this point), does it crash as well? That would suggest it was some sort of post-battle thing that was doing it.
    If yes, then we have it solved. If no, then, did you make sure to give it a good 10-30 seconds of wait after the battle completes before clicking the button to return you to the strat map? Sometimes that's needed.

Ah, reinforcement battles. There are unfixable bugs in reinforcements, z3n did come up with some new code to address them, but it crashes on half the machines it runs on, so we've been forced to leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    If you autoresolve the battle (I realize you want to play it out, but we're just diagnosing at this point), does it crash as well? That would suggest it was some sort of post-battle thing that was doing it.
    If yes, then we have it solved. If no, then, did you make sure to give it a good 10-30 seconds of wait after the battle completes before clicking the button to return you to the strat map? Sometimes that's needed.
    Thanks Myarta! I first tried auto-resolving, to see if it was something with the battle as such, and it all worked fine. That, however, got my army iced, which was not something I had planned, so I reloaded and fought it out manually, getting myself a close defeat, but forcing the enemy into a Pyhrric victory (I think they lost something 1500 men to my 400, with two stacks disappearing afterward. After the battle ended I went and got myself a glass of water and took the dog downstairs before returning to the strat map, to try your other suggestion, and it all worked fine! So both suggestions were gold! I'll be sure to try both of those in the future when I have a recurring after battle CTD.
    Last edited by Kilo11; September 17, 2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Missing negation
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Great, glad it worked! It's one of those strange little tricks, but it seems to help.