Thread: Info about the Sumerian pictograph writing system?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Info about the Sumerian pictograph writing system?

In another thread of this subforum I was shown the following image, about those pictographs:

(posted by Sumskilz).

I would like to ask if anyone knows how correct that is deemed as being, as a deciphering of the numbers in the images, and also if you can direct to more info on the numbering system those people used

I am mostly interested due to (as far as i know) the mesopotamians first setting 360 as the degrees to be counted in a circle, and am trying to find why they used that number.
    Also the so-called Vedic circles tie to 360 as well (and any other number perfectly divided by 9), through their 9 segments (ie in parts of 40 degrees).

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Default Re: Info about the Sumerian pictograph writing system?

Somewhere among these is your answer I'm sure: BIBLIOGRAPHY OF MESOPOTAMIAN MATHEMATICS

EDIT: Also, I've heard these guys respond to emailed questions: http://cdli.ucla.edu/
    Last edited by sumskilz; August 24, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Edelfred's Avatar Semisalis

interesting , Pythagoras or some of those,who were inspired by him had not use for 0 in their numeric divinations .
    They have known about zero of course but in divinations only numbers from 1-9 were counted as having some symbolism and meaning .

P.S.Also - Babylonian culture has been developed from Sumerian culture ?
    Har du inte levt mitt liv
    Vet du ingenting
    Laglöst Land

Quote Originally Posted by Edelfred View Post
    P.S.Also - Babylonian culture has been developed from Sumerian culture ?
    Not exactly, but they inherited a lot from Sumeria, like their writing system. I would characterize the Babylonian Empire's relationship to Sumeria as being similar to the Carolingian Empire's relationship to the Roman Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Thanks for the replies
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC