Thread: v2.35 Planned Release Features and development updates

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default v2.35 Planned Release Features and development updates

As Ive mentioned in other threads, we have decided to build towards a v2.35 release rather than the previous goal of a v2.4.

That means that only some of what is listed in the v2.4 thread will be included.

More specifically the following things we expect to be able to include in the v2.35 release:

Factional Changes:

Greeks Overhaul:
    Athens
    Sparta
    Epirus
    Syracuse
    Knossos
    Rhodos
    *NEW FACTION* Aetolian League

(Massalia will not be ready in time unfortunately)

Bithynia

Germanics : ALL
    (Marcomanni will be removed and replaced with a unique Chatti faction)

Parthia

Roman Citizen Units: They will be tweaked and improved to be more historically accurate. (Hopefully our new early Roman shield patterns are ready for release as well)

Arabians: Will be in the following update as it was finished a bit too late to make it into this update.

New Features and changes:

Recruitment overhaul: 1 rec slot for each region +1 for barracks +1 for Capitol

Axe animation set
    : (CA added this so we took ours out )

Startpos Changes to Regions and Factions: wont list them here as there are quite a few eg no more Nova Carthago

Terrain Cursors
    (havent got this working yet so wont be included)

Unit Stat Overhaul: Most in depth and comprehensive determination of units stats 10 months in the making

Unit Experience Overhaul:

Other Mods to be incorporated:

Gustav's (EB2): Carthaginian Shield Patterns (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hlight=gustav)

(NB: Some of the shield patterns will be fixed and or edited due to the current version having some texture issues and now wanting too much of the images to be covered by thrureos spine)

NOIF's: Better Horses, Elephants and Dogs HQ textures and better siege equipment and walls http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=better+horses

Possibly a few other things as well...

Release date will hopefully be end of October
    Last edited by Magnar; October 24, 2014 at 11:36 AM.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: v2.35 Planned Release Features and development updates

253 / ca 400 unit stats calculated (its slow progress)

In the last couple days we've begun to start our heavy testing of the new stats overhaul and so far hings have been looking pretty good. We hope to have a complete pre release test pack ready in about 2 weeks.

If you want to help with testing, shoot me a pm or add me on steam.

Will Bithynia be a Thracian based culture? In vanilla they are pretty a standard Eastern faction except with the unique Bithynian infantry .
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

they will be an eastern culture. they had thracian/galatian/greek influence so will have some of those cultures all mixed there.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

287 / ca 400 units stats added to the test pack and so far it has been very challenging to win... not just for me

The importance of formation and generals are significantly more important and if it breaks down then it can easily spell the end of a battle.

We also have a screen of the new campaign map that will be posted up soon by JohnnyG (our go to startpos guy).

Whats left to do:

-greek stats and assign new armours to Epirus, Athens, Aetolian league

-Finalise Bithynia units and calculate stats

-New culture and faction icons

- Finalise remaining startpos changes (diplomatic relations, starting armies/garrisons, add new cultures)

- Finalise arabians and their stats

- Add stats to new lusitani roster

-TESTING TESTING and then some more TESTING

- Add some ui things

- add new textures or what ever else is ready to be added last minute

- Campaign balancing

- Campaign TESTING

- Some more campaign Testing

- Documentation

- Release

You use meaningful resources in your overhaul. However, throughout my experience with it, most of the factions were unable to build more advanced buildings and most importantly barracks above level two, which is a really disappointing. So I concluded that it takes more than it gives and removed requirements from all recuiting and most of tier 3 buildings for my personal use. Did you manage to circumvent this limitation somehow? I'm not really familiar with all of the pfm and ak features beyond altering some obvious tables and so asking this.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Furgon View Post
    You use meaningful resources in your overhaul. However, throughout my experience with it, most of the factions were unable to build more advanced buildings and most importantly barracks above level two, which is a really disappointing. So I concluded that it takes more than it gives and removed requirements from all recuiting and most of tier 3 buildings for my personal use. Did you manage to circumvent this limitation somehow? I'm not really familiar with all of the pfm and ak features beyond altering some obvious tables and so asking this.
    not really much is left of MR after EE release.

It was always a temporary addition so i never payed much attention to how it worked. Also i think with the change to PO and food with EE AI factions should now be more willing to build higher tier buildings

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

We've just got permission to use Gustav's Carthaginian shield patterns that were made for EB2 (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hlight=gustav)

So they will be included in 2.35 now

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

looks like i miscounted the number of units and it seems we will have close to 450 units in total for the upcoming release vs currently 221 units in the mod

currently 280/450 stats have been calculated so we are over half way there. The unit stats overhaul is also coming along nicely with some very challenging battles and behaviour. The battles will be very different to the current battles as I'll explain in more detail as we get closer (Generals, Army Formation, Elite units will play a much more significant on the battle field and units will reform and fight if not shattered much more often among many other things)
    Last edited by Magnar; September 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

put in a big day to day calculating stats of bithynians and greeks, only the new lusitanian roster and the arabians left to do before we move on to full battle testing and campaign changes.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Today we've finished making all the vanilla stats roughly inline with the new modded units stats. Its not a perfect system but it will have to do for now (we will replace them all eventually).

Unfortunately the Arabians are looking like they may not be ready for release though ...i hope im wrong.

Tomorrow we'll look to get the new unit speeds and mass systems implemented in our testing files and then it is on to the campaign side of things.

The parthian unit descriptions have now also been finished and will be added to the Parthian Preview which has been a WIP thread for quite a while now, so will be good to finish it off.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

We are nearing completion of the mod now with the final few minor additions left to be done. We are now into the campaign testing phase, though there isnt enough time before we want to release to thoroughly test the campaign.

We plan to release the mod to a number of reviewers early next week and then work on documentation (it has been lacking in past releases) so that when we release at the end of next week you will be able to find out how all our systems and what not work.

i'll also be doing a number of mod walkthrough videos to show what is in the mod, how our mechanics work, reasons for some of our design decisions, future plans and whatever else pops into my head when recording

Erg.. so much writing to do.. so little time

Finished a bunch of unit descriptions today, back to working on general mod documentation tomorrow.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

The release is now finished. We will be working on documentation and a few other things up until we release this Friday.

I'll also be doing a few clips show casing some different areas of the mod and how it all works which will be on my youtube channel over the course of this week (link is in my signature).