House Rules:
    • no retraining units after battle
    • units left after merging surviving units are disbanded
    • treasury must be in the negatives when commanding 1 or more full stacks
    • full stacks must comprise of at least 1/4 cavalry units

Memoirs of a Norman King

Winter 1074 AD
    Aberffraw, Gwynned

Waiting... Their is no greater pain in battle then the uncertainty of action. Do I deploy my infantry to strike first? Should I call for the cavalry charge now? Save my archers arrows or allow them to fire? These are the types of questions that plague a commander's mind when deploying his men on the field. Yet these questions mean nothing to a commander that decides to wait and besiege his enemy....

I sit on these hills north of Aberffraw, asking myself why I am here. I know the purpose of my actions, yet are confounded by the reason. I must teach these children a hard lesson, one I had already thought I had taught them. Do they expect to conduct raids into Mercia, and I would do nothing about it? It is the reason that I cannot fathom, as I am aware of the certain outcome, as they are. So I sit on these hills waiting for my engineers to finish their work on the rams, mistresses of a hard lesson they must teach.

Summer 1075 AD
    Aberffraw, Gwynned

Damnation to these english springs! The weather has delayed my hand from dispensing justice unit the warm summer sun dried the mud. Though I was not idle during the spring, as I was able to assess their strength in numbers. Reports from my scouts measure their numbers to about 1400 men, which puts them 1200 men under my strength. It always does a soldier's heart good when known they outnumber their adversary. I know the name of the man that my hand must strike, this so called King Ralph. The why or where of his origins matters little to me, as it is he that causes me to be in this god forsaken country longer than I have wish to.

I have made war preperations with my knights and we have agreed on a wise council. I am ready to give justice to these villians that would harm innocent souls. Lord Father, forgive my sins of transgression, as I am left with no choice in the matter. Forgive the sins, oh Lord Father, of the souls that I am about to send you.

Battle of Aberffraw

I stand upon the battlefield in great anticipation of the coming battle. I ordered the Levy Archers ahead to start the bloody business of the day.

It will be my men that will draw first blood today. Though the enemy is quick to respond in kind with their own rain of steel.

These archers are made of stout material and continue their rain of death. Archers from the donjon show their mettle and loose another barrage upon my men.

The saxons are becoming impatient so I send them in with the rams. Saxon Huscarles reach the gates first with their ram and proceed with business.

Archers provide cover fire to presuade the enemy from attacking my rams. Success! The gates have been broken!

The enemy scatter from the gates as my archers pepper them with arrows.

Saxons breach the northern part of the wall. Militia reach the wall as the Fyrdmen breach the southern portion of the wall.

Saxons pour into Aberffraw like sand through fingers.

Fyrdmen reinforced by Militia, are the first to engage in battle with enemy Cavalry.

My men charge into the enemy ranks with vigor.

Fierce battle ensues between my men and the defenders of Aberffraw.

Enemy Cavalry flank my men near the town square. Saxons and Militia stand firm in their resolve and battle on.

Huscarles are successful in routing enemy Longbowmen.

Fyrdmen reinforce my Militia on the hill. I send in my Knights as they are eagar to join the fray.

My units fighting on the hill are routed by enemy Cavalry. Routed units are chased down and slaughtered by Longbowmen.

I deploy my Cavalry through the gates.

They become enbattled with enemy Longbowmen and Spearmen. Knights of my army are in fierce battle alongside my Cavalry.

I charge in with a battlecry to rally my troops to me. I continue my moment through the breach in the wall. I give chase the enemy Cavalry before they can engage my men.

Not wanting to be left out of the glory, units of Segeants charge through the wall. My men that were routed rejoin the battle through the gates.

The battle for Aberffraw has now truly begun.

God be praised! The enemy king lies dead on the field!

The enemy begins to waver before my might. My men press forward, eagar to be done with today business. I can taste victory in the air!

The day is won!

VICTORY IS MINE!

Though elation fills me with a battle well fought and justice deserved, I am not callous man to ignore the loss. This victory was resounding in its success, yet not without cost to my fellow countrymen. Let God take them to his bosom and forgive the sins that delt upon this day. Amen.
    Last edited by Gaias; October 27, 2006 at 04:27 AM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Memoirs of a Norman King - English AAR

This is a very well made piece of battle-shots ... will add your AAr now to he overview-list. And keep it up
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Default Re: Memoirs of a Norman King - English AAR

Very nice reading :
    “"The robber of your free will," writes Epictetus, "does not exist”