Thread: Fire arrows, fixed wall defenses and reworked siege towers

MeatChopper's Avatar Libertus

Default Fire arrows, fixed wall defenses and reworked siege towers

Hello everyone,

this started out as a bunch of personal tweaks I made to my own game, but I'll just put it up here in case anybody else is interested.
    From the first day I started playing CoW/RoDG, it annoyed me that there was no option for archers to use fire arrows - even more so since siege engines (towers, rams) seemed extremely powerful to me.
    On top of that, without having at least stone walls, you have no means of stopping siege equipment apart from artillery units/wizards in the defending army.
    So I started digging into the descr_projectiles file and, later, the descr_engines and descr_walls files and, well...here are the results:

- Added fire arrows to all archers
    - Added fire arrows to wall defenses
    - Decreased siege tower hit points to 120 (small), 180 (medium), 240 (big) (vanilla CoW was 500 for all)
    - Decreased cannon tower damage to 35 (vanilla CoW was 120)
    - Increased probability of siege engines to catch fire: "engine_ignition" value is now 0.3 (vanilla CoW was 0.15/0.2, vanilla M2TW was 0.3)
    - Commented out the flaming bombard shot used by cannon towers

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Kislev Rangers from Kahvipannu's awesome Mercenaries package)

To install, just download the attachment and extract into your Rage of Dark Gods directory.
    Always back up your files.

Remaining problems:
    - Arrows are not on fire before being released by the archers. They're working, but don't zoom in on your archers when they shoot. Looks weird.
    - Still balancing out siege towers versus cannon tower defenses
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MeatChopper; August 22, 2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Freiheit und Leben kann man uns nehmen, die Ehre nicht.

Vette's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Fire arrows, fixed wall defenses and reworked siege towers

You sure decresed HP on siege will not mess with scripted stacks?I mostly dont use fire arrows but now that you added them whay not .I will be using fire arrows but will wait for you to test siege values a bit more...
    Nice work.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

These are cool options MeatChopper. +rep once I can again.

Thanks Kahvi

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    You sure decresed HP on siege will not mess with scripted stacks?I mostly dont use fire arrows but now that you added them whay not .I will be using fire arrows but will wait for you to test siege values a bit more...
    Nice work.
    What do you mean exactly? In what way could it mess up the scripted stacks? TBH when I made the changes I tested with custom battles (obviously), but so far I didn't find anything odd in my current campaign either.

Vette's Avatar Civis

Well basicly Beastmen and some other stacks dont have wall breaking siege,so if you make siege easy to destroy they might lose its purpose.I hate siege battles,AI is mostly incapable and pathfinding is ridiculous at times.Walls fall like they are made in China and canons are most accurate against towers...
    Only thing I like is gate defense and if scripted armies cant get in becouse they lost all siege,might get stuck on infinite timer...
    I realy like the idea of improved siege mod tho.

Well the siege equipment doesn't go up in flames instantly with the changes I made. During testing, about 6 out of 10 siege towers made it to the walls (although they might go up in flames AFTER reaching them). Same goes for rams. And when they lose all siege equipment and none of them is inside the city, the defending army automatically wins (unless the CoW team messed that up...which is a distinct possibility seeing as they somehow removed the possibility to have a draw, too). This mechanic still works in custom battles, I don't see why it shouldn't work in the campaign.
    Last edited by MeatChopper; August 23, 2014 at 07:56 AM.

+ 1 <3