Thread: Which CK2 mod?

Default Which CK2 mod?

Hey there,

I've just started to play this game at the end of last year but made a pause and now I am back to it; I have looked trough the mods from the main CK2 forum but I couldn't find too much analysis of the mods available. I am looking for complete overhauls but I am open to suggestion to other smaller mods if they're interesting.

Can somebody point me the main differences between available mods (CK2+, Immersion, Lux) in order to make a choice?

Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave.
    -Constantin Brancusi

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Which CK2 mod?

For historical gameplay - Historical Immersion Project
    For fantasy gameplay - Game of Thrones

Lux seems to be some sort of alternative historical mod that I couldn't really get my head around. I didn't really like the concept anyway but I've read a lot of people say it's very fun and very gameplay orientated. I haven't really played CK2+ enough or recently to comment but it's a long the lines as HIP. The reason I'd prefer HIP is because it's basically combining a number of already very popular mods into one big mod. The level of immersion is amazing and it's one of the best balanced mods I've ever played. Start in 1066 and play as an observer and you'll more often than not see a very plausible map at the end of the campaign.

There are other mods which you could try out like the Eldar Kings mod which I thought was good but Eldar Scroll doesn't really lend itself to dynasties and succession, unlike Game of Thrones which is perfect for CK2. I'm not really big into Eldar Scroll so I had little idea of what was going on and didn't play that much. The Witcher mod is also one I hope to try in the future as well. It looks good and I believe it was on Steam's Mod Spotlight a week or two ago.

Default Re: Which CK2 mod?

Waiting hard for the 480 Migration Period mod. That looks to be one of the best ones yet to be released.

HIP is good, I hate that "improved" map they add and the "everything has to be local language" design philosophy however. Every Arab nation being banu Whatever is extremely annoying. I preferred CK2+, especially for the game fixing Factions system they have, however that mod is seemingly dead.

HIP is also one of those "this is a dynamic game but let's force it to be historical and have clean borders" mods as well, another annoying quality it has. You will always face the same enemies and more often than not the same happens each and every time. It's fairly boring after a few playthroughs and I ended up playing vanilla again a few times. CK2+ was all about improving the dynamic qualities of the game rather than nearly eliminating them.

The clean borders are so annoying. Especially considering reality.

If that happened in CK2 they would use console commands and cheats to "fix" those borders.
    Last edited by Darth Red; September 10, 2014 at 06:19 AM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.