Thread: World population cartogram for 2015

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default World population cartogram for 2015

You can zoom in here: https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/fim.../HhqlkMK.0.png

This is an interesting display of where the world's greatest population centers are located. It also demonstrates how countries that otherwise look big on a regular map really aren't in terms of population. Some countries are so small (less than 250,000 people, each square being 500,000) they don't even feature on the map! In that regard, the most striking absence is Greenland, which territorial-wise is huge but doesn't even have 100,000 people. Naturally Germany is the big boss of Europe if you discount Russia. I was unaware that Japan has over two times as many people as South Korea. I was also unaware that Pakistan is significantly larger than Iran. Everyone is hilariously dwarfed by China and India, obviously, but get a load of Nigeria! It's catching up to Brazil. One can barely notice Canada sitting on top of the USA. Australia isn't much of a continent in this map, is it?

In either case, feel free to comment about your own country or others. Why do you think your country is able to maintain such a huge population? Or rather, why do you think it is presently growing at a rapid rate, if at all?

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: World population cartogram for 2015

Why do you think your country is able to maintain such a huge population?

Huge indeed.

Anyway, very interesting map though. +repz for that.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I'm surprised to find out there are so few people in the Middle East.... Thought Persia was huge and populated

Well, Iran has 78 million people, that's more than most individual European countries. Turkey and Egypt also both have above 80 million. That's not exactly tiny, especially since Germany is roughly the same size as those two. You're right, though, nearly every other state in the Middle East.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Well yeah, fertile Europe can sustain a lot more people than the Middle East. The Netherlands being a prime example at that.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    I'm surprised to find out there are so few people in the Middle East.... Thought Persia was huge and populated
    Large areas of inarable land, a history of water scarcity and a plethora of conflicts and you're surprised there's not more people there?

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I assume Portugal and Spain have the world average population density, am I right? Because we look absolutely normal in the map. Portugal is a little more densely populated than Spain but not by much.

P.S - Bangladesh is just crazy. So is São Paulo, Greater São Paulo alone occupies 1/5 of Brazil in that map.
    Last edited by Vítor Gaspar; May 29, 2015 at 01:20 PM.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Java is ridiculous. I can't imagine so many people on so small island.
    Has signatures turned off.

Finding them all gainful employment will be fun.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

That's why we need sweatshops.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Wow India and China what the hell.
    Mongolia though, something like half of the world's Mongol population lives in China.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Genetically speaking, probably a lot more.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Indonesia a quarter billion ??

Pretty sick

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    Indonesia a quarter billion ??

Pretty sick
    That makes it roughly the size of the entire Arab world, and represents about a fifth of all Muslims. Keeping that in mind, when people generalize about Muslims, they often don't consider the Southeast Asian ones in that equation, who (when combining Malaysia and Indonesia) are more numerous than all the Arabs in every country combined. Then there's the South Asian Muslims in Pakistan, Bangladesh, and India, who again are far more numerous (even more so than Malaysia and Indonesia when combined). Although the Central Asian Muslims like the Kyrgyz and Kazakhs aren't more numerous than either of these groups, they've nevertheless been exceedingly secularized thanks to the agnostic legacy of the Soviet Union. Hence they are a horse of a different color when compared to the hardcore traditionalist Arabs.