Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Unofficial Mod Overview] For the upcoming 'Dominion of Men' release (upd: Oct 01)

Default [Unofficial Mod Overview] For the upcoming 'Dominion of Men' release (upd: Oct 01)

Fourth Age Total War - The Dominion of Men

(Release date: currently active WIP)

A total conversion for Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion

Set in the Fourth Age of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy world of Middle-earth

Contents:

Basics
    Campaign Map
    Factions
    Gameplay
    Videos
    Screenshots
    Miscellaneous

Basics:

Start date: Fourth Age 356, that's 118 years after the beginning of 'The New Shadow'
    End date: -
    Turns per year: -
    Factions: 17 playable factions, including Elves and Dwarves
    Map: covers all of Middle-earth as presented in the 'The Lord of the Rings' novels
    Number of provinces: -
    ---
    Release date of 'Dominion of Men': currently active WIP
    [-> contents]

Campaign Map:

Here's an unofficial campaign mini-map with placement of DoM's factions - courtesy of Jagmodo:

key of FATW releases: DOM = Dominion of Men (WIP), TNS = The New Shadow, FE = Forth Eorlingas, CI = Corsair Invasion

For a first impression of the overhauled campaign map, have a look at the Screenshots in this post of the official wip screenshot thread.

[-> contents]

Factions:

DoM will feature 17 playable factions, plus the Shire and the Bandit (rebels) faction.

Team member CountMRVHS has already posted well-written previews of most of these factions in his official DoM Faction Previews thread. Below is a list of all DoM factions. Factions already previewed have implemented links to their associated post.

Adunabar -- The Kingdom of Adunabar -- [alignment]
    Beornings -- The Chiefdom of the Beornings -- [alignment]
    Dale -- The Kingdom of Dale -- [alignment]
    Dorwinion -- The Kingdom of Dorwinion -- [alignment]
    Dunland -- The Chiefdom of Dunland -- [alignment]
    Dwarves -- The Dwarven Realm -- [alignment]
    Elves - The Elven Realm -- [alignment]
    Far Harad - The Principality of Far Harad -- [alignment]
    Harad - The Empire of Harad -- [alignment]
    Harondor - The Principality of Harondor -- [alignment]
    Khand - The Chiefdom of Khand -- [alignment]
    North Rhun - The Chiefdom of North Rhun -- [alignment]
    Reunited Kingdom - The Reunited Kingdom -- [alignment]
    Rhovanion - The Kingdom of Rhovanion -- [alignment]
    Rhun - The Chiefdom of Rhun -- [alignment]
    Rohan - The Kingdom of Rohan -- [alignment]
    Tharbad - The City-kingdom of Tharbad -- [alignment]
    ---
    The Shire (unplayable, though playable in multiplayer)
    Bandits

[-> contents]

Gameplay:

Read up on the mods features in the below linked official thread...

The DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview thread features DoM's gameplay, thoroughly explained by team leader Aradan himself. In the below spoiler there's only an enumeration of the mechanics explained in the afore mentioned, official thread:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Core Changes & Balance

Population-independent Provincial Development
    Manpower and Population Control
    Merged Military Development
    Advanced Unit Balance
    Auto-resolve Balance
    Income Balance
    Functional Building-based Conditionals

AI Improvements

AI Destroys Useless Buildings
    "Invisible" Provinces
    Impassable Areas
    Emergent and Horde Faction Targeting
    AI-specific Bonuses / Custom-tailored Campaigns

General Gameplay

Provincial Control
    Over-extension
    Empire Maintenance
    Building Maintenance
    Provincial Policies
    Culture as Religion
    Cultic Domination Reforms
    Permanent "Forts"
    Resource-specific Industries
    Trade-Harbour/War-Harbour Division
    Province Specialization
    Regional Buildings
    Non-mannish Homeland Scattering
    Non-mannish Factions Characteristics
    Mannish Factions Characteristics
    Middle-earth Zones of Recruitment
    Seven Cultures
    Permanent Alliances
    Prohibited Alliances

Traits Ancillaries

Compact, Meaningful Character Profiles
    Origins System & Surnames
    Subcultures
    Subfactions
    Consistent and Realistic Character Profiles
    Provincial Lordship Titles
    Succession Priority
    Ruler Authority
    Liege Opinion
    Functional Military Hierarchy

Miscellaneuos

Wonders & Marvels
    Treasure Hoards
    Unique Units
    Restricted Fleet Embarking
    Landmark Markers
    "Force Diplomacy" Script
    "Peace with the Dead" Script

Further features of DoM:

- A full, overhauled campaign map covering entire Middle-earth
    - New battlemap environments, lighting, skies and weather conditions
    - A custom battle map for the settlement of Minas Arnor
    - For some more information on DoM, view the below Dev. Diary videos and the TotalWarCast video

[-> contents]

Videos:

Here are all, so far released videos of DoM in order of release date:

TotalWarCast Interview with Aradan (~20min, starting at 8:12) - Jan 2014

also shows some nice screenshots; jump to 8:12 for the beginning of the interview; the interview itself last roughly 20min

Reunited Kingdom and Rohan in Battle (2:39) - Feb 2012

RK vs. Orcish units in Mordor and Rohan vs. Dunland; taken from post #295 in the official screenshots thread

The Dominion of Men - Second Developer Diary (13:27) - Feb 2011

taken from the thread: The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men Second Dev. Diary Published

The Dominion of Men - First Developer Diary (6:41) - Dec 2010

taken from the thread: The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men First Dev. Diary Published!

[-> contents]

Screenshots:

To get an impression of DoM's unit models, it's new custom made battle environments, Minas Arnor's custom settlement model and the overhauled and extended campaign map, have a look at The Official WIP Screenshot Thread, where the DoM team regularly posts the newest WIP-images. In the below spoiler there's a list of posts from the above WIP screenshot thread containing images:
    For more images visit the Images section at FATW's Mod DB page, but please note, that it includes images from previous FATW releases further down the line.

Besides the above mentioned screenshot thread, the DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview thread also contains many images - mainly of settlement management and building info scrolls, plus the campaign map in the background.

To give you a small glimpse of DoM... here' an Arbitrary Collection of Images & Screenshots:
    Click on Images to Open Larger Versions!

Main menu:

Loading screen:

Reunited Kingdom unit:

Harad units:

Orcish unit:

Dale unit:

New environments, the Dead Marshes:

New environments, Eriador:

Overhauled and full campaign map, Belfalas:

Custom settlement for Minas Arnor:

[-> contents]

Miscellaneous:

Other Fourth Age Total War sites:

FATW at Mod DB

Links to authentic sites on J.R.R. Tolkien's writings:

The Encyclopedia of Arda

Tolkien Gateway

[-> contents]
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; October 01, 2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added Dwarves preview

Default Re: [Unofficial Mod Overview] for the upcoming 'Dominion of Men' release

[reserved]

Default Re: [Unofficial Mod Overview] for the upcoming 'Dominion of Men' release

Hi there!

I've just started this mod overview for DoM. It's very much unfinished atm and no where near what I'm aiming for.

I'd be really happy if anyone could help me with links to images and help me with missing information. Also any suggestions are most welcome!

Sincerely, Casual Tactician!

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Ah, those videos ...
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Is that your voice-over?

Voice-over and editing, yup. Makes me cringe!

Thanks for doing this

You got a very plesant voice, I must say. You could be a radio host.

Thanks. We did start a Middle-earth podcast years ago but I think we only did a couple of episodes. Not sure if they even exist anywhere today...

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

You might want to elaborate some features in a short sentence. I know what "Over-extension" refers too, and although everyone will probably get it, the first reaction is: "Huh, what?"
    So, what's "Provincial Policies", or even more strange without some background knowledge "Cultic Domination Reforms".
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

You're right there. Atm it's quite overwhelming to newcomers. Though I'm not sure, if I'll flesh out the gameplay mechanics myself, as Aradan's post (which is linked already) is such a good and detailed read. But I'll surely make a statement, that referes folks even more to his post/thread. But if all other sections are covered, I'll might come back to that.

Btw, could anyone please give me the facts for:

- start date
    - end date
    - turns per year
    - number of provinces
    - all factions (playable and non-playable noted as such)
    - link to a campaign map and/or campaign mini-map
    - and any other information missing atm

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: The presentation will be enhanced and look more professional in the future; click on the image in my sig to see what I'm aiming for.
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; August 19, 2014 at 04:01 PM.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    You might want to elaborate some features in a short sentence. I know what "Over-extension" refers too, and although everyone will probably get it, the first reaction is: "Huh, what?"
    So, what's "Provincial Policies", or even more strange without some background knowledge "Cultic Domination Reforms".
    Provincial Policies are very neat. They usually take about 1 turn to finish and they are usually things like charters giving permission for fishing, mining or the like. Cultic Domination Reforms I don't know about, as I haven't played as Adunabar yet.
    Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; August 19, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Default Re: [Unofficial Mod Overview] for the upcoming 'Dominion of Men' release [WIP]

Made by Jagmodo.

Default Re: [Unofficial Mod Overview] for the upcoming 'Dominion of Men' release [WIP]

Thanks!

Nice FE is Forth Eorlingas

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Provincial Policies are very neat. They usually take about 1 turn to finish and they are usually things like charters giving permission for fishing, mining or the like. Cultic Domination Reforms I don't know about, as I haven't played as Adunabar yet.
    Nope, that's not it. What you're describing is the Industry buildings. Provincial Policies are buildings simulating the province's development being geared towards military, finances, or -for Dunedain and Haradrim- administration. The policy determines which building lines you can develop fully and which not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bercor View Post
    SHIRE -DOM(unplayable SP, playable MP
    So hobbits will have their own units? Can you hire hobbit mercenaries/levvies in the campaign?

Yes, Hobbits will have four units, though each two share the same model/texture. I don't believe they can be hired, though Aradan will have to confirm that.

No, they cannot be recruited by other factions.

Nice mini map picture, it looks like a few factions are quite spread out(dwarf/elf) these could make some interesting sub factions. Is the distance to capital penalty still in?

Yes, it's hardcoded. However Dwarves and Elves don't have a public order problem, especially in their own provinces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast