Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I believe the next expansion should be ahistorical

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: I believe the next expansion should be ahistorical

Please. The migration period is one of my favorite. It is a time of progressive yet fundamental changes with a lot of believable and possible non-historic variation.

But I am more afraid than excited about what CA could do with it.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by john129pats View Post
    Aztecs invade northern Spain (revenge!), Incans invade West Africa, Inuits invade northern Britain, Vikings invade Denmark, Bantu (Africans) invade Ethiopia, Indians invade Persia, and MAYBE the Chinese invading the area near Crimea.
    Eh... we are the Vikings actually.
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Eh... we are the Vikings actually.
    No you're not, everybody knows that the vikings where actually from China and where the first to find the way from the east to the west via the northpole :O :O

Anyway I don't like this idea... It's like yeah we'll do the map and the factions historical, but then we let something completely ahistorical invade this historical setting... I would like something like LotR with it's own map, factions, units etc. But not something half stolen from history, if you're going to make fantasy then you'll have to do it all the way, so no European setting in a certain time period.

I could live with a Mythology total war though, that's the only thing though. I love Age of mythology and it would be awesome to have Atlantis rise on the map somewhere with their own units. Of course Greek and Egypt have nice mythological creatures, but in the northern part of Europe you can have trolls, dragons, dwarves and unicorns or something like that It could be fun, allthough I doupt if it will ever be better as Age of Mythology, because that game was just awesome in it's genre and it's multiplayer was very ballanced...

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Don't worry, it will be.

I'm totally against a fantasy expansion for TWR2.TWR2 is a game set in a historical setting and everything related to this game must be historical.If they want to create something related to fantasy/mythology they must create a completely new game set in a fantasy/mythology setting.CA seems to disagree with this (since they've already released multiple fantasy DLCs),but that's how it's supposed to be.

As for the expansion being Barbarian Invasion style I'm totally against it also for the first expansion,because even if it would bring back the cut features and fix the broken ones it would still be a completely different setting and the main game which has the setting that I'm actually interested in would still remain broken.Such an expansion could be the second one.The first expansion must be a remake of TWR2 with all the cut features brought back and all the broken features fixed.I don't think CA has any intention of doing things this way,but in my opinion this is what they must do.

Not crazy about the idea. I'd happily play a game specifically designed as fantasy from the start, i.e. TW Warhammer. But whatever its historical inaccuracies, I'd hate to see R2 enter the realms of out and out fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by crawe1 View Post
    Not crazy about the idea. I'd happily play a game specifically designed as fantasy from the start, i.e. TW Warhammer. But whatever its historical inaccuracies, I'd hate to see R2 enter the realms of out and out fantasy.
    I'm in agreement. While certainly there's a lot of meat and inspiration to be found in historical/"real-world" mythology, I think pure fantasy from the ground up might be the better path to go for the Total War series. (So bring on the Warhammer love?)

But if it's smaller things, like the "hero units" of Shogun 2, I'm not complaining and I won't say no to pigs and arcani. If only on grounds of nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by john129pats View Post
    Chinese invading the area near Crimea.
    Those are not Chinese. Those are local self defence forces.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by crawe1 View Post
    Same. I already have a game I play for my fantasy strategy. I play TW for a more realistic game from history. I certainly wouldn`t get a fantasy pack because that'd not what RTW2 started off as. If their next game is fantasy, so be it as they seem to be better suited to making those.

This is probably the worst idea ever.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    This is probably the worst idea ever.

I believe it depends on how do you define the ahistorical/fantasy setting. I mean dragons vs. minautors would be horrible for a TW game but an alternate history setting or a fiction setting (e. Romance of The Three Kingdoms / China's Warring States period) could be interesting for me

Yeah I'd like to see RotTK characters as hero units or generals (even agents) with strong abilities / game changers for certain ones like Guan Yu, Zhao Yun etc.

This is the dumbest idea for an expansion ever.... and the most epic mod ever!
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

Elianus's Avatar Ordinarius

Do you actually expect something other than ahistorical from CA?
    ''Πας μη Έλλην, βάρβαρος.''

This how you kill the Total War franchise.

I know I certainly wouldn't buy fantasy trash.

Such a move would get the thumbs down from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    This how you kill the Total War franchise.

I know I certainly wouldn't buy fantasy trash.
    I'm pretty sure Sunset Invasion didn't kill the Crusader Kings franchise

I believe the next expansion should be ahistorical
    Wait, i thought the main game was like that already.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

It's a slippery slope, and they're already going down it with Rome 2 and the fantasy elements present in it and its DLC. Once they go there they won't go back and we can kiss good bye to sort-of-historical Total War.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    It's a slippery slope, and they're already going down it with Rome 2 and the fantasy elements present in it and its DLC. Once they go there they won't go back and we can kiss good bye to sort-of-historical Total War.
    You're blowing it out of proportion. You're combining fantasy with exotic. A lot of the things they added (bee launchers) might have been used once or twice, so it looks weird if you encounter several armies with it, but none of that stuff even comes close to fantasy.

Anyway I'm not with this idea at all either. Somebody said it before, make a separate TW game that's a fantasy game, make a mod that's a fantasy game, but keep the main product where it was advertised, a game that's based on history. Based, not a simulator, but also not a fantasy game either. There are deviations from history made for game mechanics and some diversity, but going straight fantasy would be terrible. I'm not a huge proponent of having to be really historically accurate, but that sounds terrible to me.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by PeonKing View Post
    You're blowing it out of proportion. You're combining fantasy with exotic. A lot of the things they added (bee launchers) might have been used once or twice, so it looks weird if you encounter several armies with it, but none of that stuff even comes close to fantasy.
    Bee launchers were used "once or twice" in ancient warfare? Surely you jest. Jackass the movie is a modern phenomena. The ancients didn't have time or luxury for B.S.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast