Thread: Crusaders

Dusan Silni's Avatar Tiro

Default Crusaders

Time of Tsardoms is 1345-1530 so that is an age of the Crusader wars against the Turks so will [COLOR=#0000FF !important]Hungary[/COLOR] (and some other Catholic factions) have some templar infrantry, cavarly or missle (archer) units? And will in Tsardoms total war be allowed to have a Crusade on Orthodox factions(certainly there will be allowed to have a crusade on a muslim faction and on a Heretic faction-Bosnia).

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Crusaders

About special crusade units that depends which would be at least somewhat historically accurate, and if we'll have people that can do the units. But don't expect them in a first or maybe even second version of the mod, there are lots and lots of ideas and things that can be done but we have to finish the basics first, unless you're willing to wait until 2020 for the mod to release. If so, actually not even then would it be released as team members become less active and it's rather hard to find new people to help. That's why we have to release simpler versions earlier to get more publicity for the mod and maybe get more help. If not directly helping the team, then at least making great submods.

As to crusades on orthodox factions, and crusades and jihads in general, I didn't look if this was discussed and decided. Anyway it should technically be possible, although there are some limits, but is there any reason for it, did a crusade against an orthodox country exist?

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Vipman View Post
    did a crusade against an orthodox country exist?
    *wipes tear*

1204 never forget...

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Oh.. right.. well I'm no historian, but apparently it was officially headed for Jerusalem but the crusaders did what they wanted, it's still debatable if it should be allowed or not, and even so maybe there should be some consequences scripted for calling/joining it

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Crusaders did what Venice wanted, because they didnīt have funds for transport. Also many Crusaders returned home before the city of Zadar, because they didnīt want to attack Christian city. But the 1204 crusade was a big mistake.

About the Templar units - the Templars were already gone in 1345. But the Hospitallers had several castles in Eastern Europe. Maybe the more western mercenaries for Hungary as crusader units.

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Crusaders did what Venice wanted, because they didnīt have funds for transport. Also many Crusaders returned home before the city of Zadar, because they didnīt want to attack Christian city. But the 1204 crusade was a big mistake.

About the Templar units - the Templars were already gone in 1345. But the Hospitallers had several castles in Eastern Europe. Maybe the more western mercenaries for Hungary as crusader units.
    No there were crusades against the Turks and so the Templar units were still in that time.

The Templars were abolished in 1312 by pope Clement V so they canīt be part of Crusades after this date. The Hospitallers participated in 1396 crusade for example.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

The Templar Order was disbanded in 1312 with many of its members killed or banished. So there are definetly not going to be any templars.

But we do have the hospitallers as a faction and both hospitallers and teutons as recruitable for catholic factions.

OK, there wont be templar units but should there be some crusader units from battle of Varna and Nikopolis? I mean there were some units like in Medieval 2 kingdoms crusades

In the Hospitallerīs preview are western crusaders who visited the orderīs lands to fulfill their crusader oaths. So they will be probably avaiable for other Catholic factions.

When I said ,,CRUSADERS,, I meant on the crusaders like from the Holy Lands https://www.google.rs/search?biw=128...w&ved=0CCAQsiU not on the knight Hospitallers https://www.google.rs/search?biw=128...aller&tbm=isch !!!

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

I think you are confused by what crusader means. A crusader is just simply anyone that takes the cross. The holy land was lost in the 13th century so there are no more crusaders left there. The teutonic orders and hospitaller orders are religious orders originating from the crusades that kept the tradition alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    I think you are confused by what crusader means. A crusader is just simply anyone that takes the cross. The holy land was lost in the 13th century so there are no more crusaders left there. The teutonic orders and hospitaller orders are religious orders originating from the crusades that kept the tradition alive.
    But then who faught in Nikopolis and Varna????? - I mean there were Hungarian and Polish soldiers but they were dressed as crusaders..... https://www.google.rs/search?q=hunga...h=923#imgdii=_

At Nikopolis the crusade army was made of Hungarian army and contingents from Burgundy, France, Holy Roman Empire and the Venice, Genoa and Hospitallers provided ships. At Varna the Hungarian, Polish contigents and even Hussite mercenaries formed the crusade army.

They were most probably dressed with they normal battle dress under the combination of own banners and crusaderīs banners.

I remembered this discussion about the Crusaders and their banners during Tsardoms TW era. I recently found this modern picture which most probably shows Hungarian army during Nicopolis Crusade (there are shown with pieces of amour shown in various medieval Hungarian fresco paintings). Maybe it will help the team and answer your question Dusan Silni:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ca1396.jpg