Thread: GED on the history of the Q&A Local Moderation

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default GED on the history of the Q&A Local Moderation

Haven't posted this in the public forum as I'm not sure who decides where what goes, but it's just so it doesn't get lost in the depths of the Q&A forum, interesting tibbit of history which I think we should aim to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Actually I think that I have been listed as the local mod for the Q & S since well before I joined Hex, and years before I came to own the site. Before Garb bought the site from Ian actually. Its an interesting bit of TWC lore now that I think about it, because so much has changed. Pann and Harry Lime and a few others might have to back me up on some of this as my memory is a bit hazy.

Ian had just bought the site and things were a little crazy to say the least. The Tribunal was going through a major change. In the beginning the Tribunal was run by members of Moderation if I recall correctly (maybe even the CoM?), and it had slowly changed into a Hex appointed position with the requirement that all Tribunes be former Moderators. That had caused a problem more than once as Moderators and ex-Moderators tend to have the same point of view, after all they are trained through the same system. While the Tribunal wasn't unfair, some members of the general public did have that perception and Ian was trying to change that. So I became the first Tribune to be appointed who had never been a Moderator, and Garb was also appointed so the Tribunal at the time was me, Garb, and Trax.

During this process Garb and I both told Ian that if he wanted us as Tribunes then he had to trust us to run it as we saw fit, and keep those nasty Hexers like Pann and EvM out of it, at least in public. We could argue with them in private. Along with that came the responsibility of moderating the Tribunal Commentary thread. Ian told us its "Your Wendy house"; a phrase I was unfamiliar with at the time but which I will never forget and turned us loose in the Tribunal. In order for us to be able to moderate the Trib Commentary we had to be made local mods of the Q & S because that is where the Trib Commentary was at that time.

When Garb left the Tribunal to become site owner and Hotspur took his place, his name was removed from the LMs of the Q & S and Hotspur was added but there were other changes going on as well. We had already instituted the Magistrate position and eventually we moved the Commentary threads to their own forum which the current Tribunes (Jom and Genius) now have LM powers over. During that switch I became a Hex member, Hotspur was moved as the LM over the commentary forum but I was left as the Q & S local mod for some reason. Probably just an oversight, Hex members already have mod power everywhere so its not really necessary to have a Hex member listed as a moderator anywhere.

Anyways, I sort of took over all the moderation issues in the Q & S anyways. Realistically I came into Hex through Tech Staff as much as I did through the Tribunal, and there were LOTS of tech issues back then so it was mostly Simetrical and I posting regularly in the Q & S anyways. Since we were so active there I just sort of started posting the Hex position on other issues like site policy since Garb was back and forth so much with work and everyone else in Hex had their own department to run while I was just a jack of all trades.

So there my name sits, all by its lonesome. I probably missed some details there, but that's a quick once over.
    EDIT: (moved by MD)
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; August 18, 2014 at 01:55 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE