Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 8 - 26.9.14

Pursed Lips
    Asahi-cho, Tsu-han, August 1864

“Why didn’t you tell me!?”

Norito’s eyes bulged as Akashi gripped him by the throat. With all the drunken force he could muster, the captain slammed the boy into the wall of the Sakashima residence. Nozomi screamed and quickly retreated inside, leaving the beleaguered detectives alone in the swirling mists.

Disbelief struggled for supremacy with anger as Akashi choked his subordinate. “Suzushi Yosome isn’t a resident of Asahi!” he screamed in the boy’s face, unable to believe it himself. “How could that have slipped your mind? You’ve lived here your entire life!”

“I…I didn’t think it was important,” gurgled Norito. Whatever feelings he might have been harbouring towards Akashi earlier that night had been displaced by pure terror, as he fought for his life in the captain’s iron grip. “She…wasn’t involved in any…of the cases…”

Akashi did a double take. “She wasn’t involved?” he gasped, shocked at the boy’s stupidity. “When did she arrive Norito? How long as she been here?”

The boy looked back at him pleadingly, but Akashi was unrelenting. Fury burned his veins and what little control he might have had over himself had long fled into the night. “I think…she arrived here at the same time as you…” Norito stammered.

The captain’s eyes widened momentarily and his grip slackened somewhat on Norito’s throat. Two months, he thought to himself. Exactly the same time as the killings had started, or near enough… Did that mean that Suzushi Yosome was the murderer? No, she hadn’t been to the Itoguchi residence the night before. That woman was up to something else; something they would have to deal with later. Then who was the killer? Unless…

“Norito…” Akashi spoke slowly, trying to piece together this new puzzle. “Who lived in Suzushi’s residence before her?”

The boy was now so white in the face he was unable to speak. He looked imploringly at Akashi and the captain finally decided to relinquish his grip – if only out of necessity. Norito collapsed to the earthen ground, surrounded by the mist. He clutched his throat with shaking hands, spluttering across the dirt beneath them.

“You grew up in the house next door!” Akashi barked at the keeled over mess of a man before him. Covered in dirt and still splattered with Yaridama Chiryo’s blood, Norito Tsuya looked pitiful.

“I don’t know,” gasped Norito eventually, still massaging his throat. However, before he could even think to rise, a sharp boot to the stomach sent him flying across the mud.

“How can you not know!?” Akashi screamed, unable to control himself now. “You’ve lived here your entire life – you know every single person who has lived and died here! You count every meaningless, Godless peasant here as a member of your own clan, yet when it comes to anyone who might actually have an ounce of purpose, you don’t know?”

Norito whimpered in the dirt, tears streaming down his face from closed eyes, unable to meet the gaze of the wrathful Akashi. He was nothing but a boy – a mere boy playing policeman in a fairy tale town, detached from any grand picture or scheme. Akashi had finally run out of patience. What ally was this? The boy had no use anymore – whatever purpose he might once have served was now spent. It was time to leave.

So Akashi turned and retraced his footsteps back towards the police station, leaving Norito bleeding and bruised in the mud.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 8 - 26.9.14

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Sorry I haven't commented in nearly a week but I was away so I didn't get a chance to read it.

The plot twists just keep coming and coming. I really liked this update, the cliffhanger you left was definitely not expected on my part. At least now I only have to wait a day to see what happens next.
    Cheers I was actually a little scared that I'm using these cliffhangers too much and they're becoming pretty stale, but I'm not sure how else to really approach a murder mystery - or even a serial/AAR actually.

Quick behind the scenes fun fact, I'm actually writing chapter 18 at the moment Maybe I could afford to do more regular updates

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 9 - 3.10.14

You're 10 chapters ahead? I'm not even 10 words ahead when I post my updates!

Interesting twist. I feel sorry for poor Norito, Akashi is too harsh on him. I wonder what happens now for the both of them.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

You're 10 chapters ahead? I'm not even 10 words ahead when I post my updates!

Interesting twist. I feel sorry for poor Norito, Akashi is too harsh on him. I wonder what happens now for the both of them.
    I'm just having so much fun writing it, I can't stop! I'm on Act 2 at the moment, but I can't wait to get to Act 3 - that's when things are going to get really fun

Hmm, yeah Akashi isn't all that nice of a guy! Between shooting old women and kicking young boys in the dirt, he's not a typical protagonist

Well if you're having fun writing it then that's the best thing and it is already coming through with your writing

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

I'm thoroughly enjoying this Hitai. My kind of story.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

The Final Piece of the Puzzle

The door had been left open and Akashi didn’t even bother to close it as he returned to the police station, stepping over the corpse he had left in his wake. The purple mist flooded the office inside, but whatever fatal terror it harboured was inconsequential now. Itoguchi Yosuka could move through the mist. Yaridama Chiryo could move through the mist. Even Akashi himself had moved through it. It wasn’t that he now believed it safe, only that it now seemed irrelevant. He had more important things to concern himself with.

Without even sitting down at his desk, he selected a ledger from amongst the pile of papers scattered about the room. Slamming it down on the wood, he began flipping through the pages frantically. Who had lived in that house before Suzushi…

Suzushi wasn’t the killer – but she was involved, Akashi thought to himself as he scanned the police records of Asahi’s inhabitants. Serial killings and paranormal activities attracted all kinds of freaks – maybe that was her game; here to worship some false idol or confess her love to a madman. Whatever her intention, it was not Akashi’s concern at that moment. She couldn’t be the killer – she arrived in Asahi too late…

Itoguchi Yosuka. The Inkless Woman. The Silent Songstress. Akashi still didn’t fully understand what part she played in all of this. She was special, that much was certain, but how special? Had he been too focussed on her? Was the ink even important? Probably not, he concluded eventually. He was so close now… if only Norito had told him about Suzushi sooner!

Yaridama Chiryo, a murderer? Akashi smiled mirthlessly, not even glancing back at her lifeless form behind him. The weeping widow – the killer he had tried to frame to keep the truth from Norito. What had been the point of that? Akashi didn’t know – he should have just shot the boy there and then as well. The events of that very night now seemed an age past, now he knew what he knew. Had his shooting of that meddling old lady only been less than an hour before? It seemed like an eternity away. As if he could have ever entertained the notion – even as a ruse – that she had been the killer… The connection between Itoguchi and Yaridama then? Again, perhaps it mattered on some level, but it was irrelevant - irrelevant now he had found the true killer…

Triumphantly he turned the page of the ledger, to where the residence of Suzushi’s abode would be recorded. All he had to find was the name of the past occupant… that was all he needed… A devilish grin spread across his face as he prepared himself…

Only to find the page already torn out.

Akashi cursed under his breath and threw the book to one side. Time was too precious to squander now with impotent anger. It wasn’t even worth thinking about who was responsible for tearing the page. No, he had to find out the identity of the killer. It had to be somewhere in this room. Who had lived in that house before Suzushi? If Suzushi had only moved to Asahi two months before, someone must have lived in that house before her, disappearing just as the murders began. That person had to be the murderer… they were the missing link in the chain… the final piece of the puzzle…

Were they already dead? A useless thought, Akashi mentally scolded himself. But what if they were just pretending to be dead… A new jolt of energy coursed through him and he quickly moved to find the records of the deceased. Skipping over his own case notes, he quickly found the files of Yaridama Izen. Although Akashi had arrived in Asahi earlier than he might have told that fool Norito, he hadn’t in fact been present for the first few murders. Akashi had been over Yaridama’s files before, but just maybe he had missed something…

Scanning over the final few pages of the volume, he found nothing however. The handful of people who had been killed before Akashi had arrived were already known to him. He had visited their silent abodes shortly after arriving, as part of his investigation – none resided in Suzushi’s stolen home.

Casting the records to one side, Akashi bit his thumb. Drawing blood, the pain was enough to keep him focussed. He was so close to letting his anger get the better of him. Not now though – not now his hunt was finally nearing an end… All he needed was that one name.

Missing persons reports? Akashi smiled to himself and quickly began to track down the volume amongst the scattered papers on his desk. Finally he produced a small ledger. Frantically he thumbed through it. What few entries there were were separated by months and often years at a time – not much activity to report. Most of the disappearances were dated from many years before. As Akashi flicked over to the penultimate entry, his heart sank to see the date of ‘12th October 1860’ sitting beneath the name of the unfortunate. Four years between then and now… it was too much to hope the final entry would be the one he needed…

Flicking the final page over, he felt himself slowly deflating – accepting defeat. Glancing at the date, Akashi clung on to but the faintest sliver of hope… ‘23rd May 1864’. One day before the murders had begun… Blood thundered through his veins and Akashi felt feeling rush through him once more. A wicked grin stretched across his face and his eyes glinted devilishly in the starlight escaping through the open door. This was the killer…

Tsukaru Shinji.

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 10 - 11.10.14

Great job, Hitai, really liking it. Who is this Tsukaru Shinji though? Can't wait for yet another chapter.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lugotorix View Post
    I'm thoroughly enjoying this Hitai. My kind of story.
    Cheers Lugo, glad you're enjoying it!

Great job, Hitai, really liking it. Who is this Tsukaru Shinji though? Can't wait for yet another chapter.
    Thanks! Tsukaru Shinji... You'll find out soon enough

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Maruni Mitsu Aoi

“Tsukaru Shinji…” Akashi whispered to himself as he scanned the document, unable to keep a smile from stretching his lips. “Disappeared on the 23rd May 1864. Last seen in the vicinity of Tarusaka Forest. Search abandoned.”

The murderer, Tsukaru Shinji - it had to be. Disappearing the very day before the murders began, this man could be none other than their killer. Akashi refused to believe any other outcome. He had seen victims during his stay in Asahi, he had seen witnesses – however poor -, but he had not once locked eyes with a killer; none here, from the deluded girl Suzushi now vanished to the corpse of Yaridama Chiryo still lying at his feet, were capable of murder. But this Shinji… Akashi already knew exactly what kind of the look would be in those eyes.

Tarusaka Forest. Immediately he turned to depart the station. It was still night, but there was time yet before the sun’s rise. It wouldn’t take him two hours to venture to the forest in the south. It was clear enough now to Akashi that their murderer had some method of killing from distance or by proxy. Whatever powers – supernatural or not – this Shinji possessed, provided he still inhabited a human form he could not pass through walls, nor dispose of bodies so efficiently. He must be pulling the strings, directing the killings from somewhere. Tarusaka Forest was all Akashi had to go on, so that was his destination as he made to leave…

“Stop right there.”

Akashi turned to face the figure of Norito Tsuya standing in the doorway; framed in the entrance in exactly the same manner as Yaridama only an hour before. The captain let loose a sound halfway between a growl and a sigh. There was no time for this…

Moving into the room, Norito picked up a rifle from besides the door and slowly levelled it at Akashi, who remained motionless; his fingers nonetheless tickling the metal of the revolver still in his palm. “Now,” Norito spoke slowly, as if trying to compose his own thoughts, “you’re going to tell me exactly what happened to Yaridama Izen and why Yaridama Chiryo now lies dead as well. You’re going to tell me exactly who you are and what purpose you have in Asahi town. Are you really even with the Imperial military?”

Akashi was silent for a moment. He debated with himself the situation; the merits of revealing the truth, with how much he could get away with saying without ending up another corpse on the blood stained station floor. “My name is Captain Akashi Kyoumu. I was seconded from the Tsu garrison at Iga to investigate the murders happening in Asahi town.”

“Cut the lies!” Norito barked at him, an edge of anger now boiling over into his voice. His hands were visibly shaking as he held the rifle and Akashi couldn’t tell what was driving the boy now; fear, adrenaline, anger? Whatever possessed the boy was slowly taking ahold of him once again and he was becoming increasingly volatile. “You’re not here to solve any murder case. You said it yourself before; you’re here to enforce martial law. You don’t care about the people here, nor about justice or any other virtue. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were just here to make sure the killings continued! Locking everyone away every night, putting them at the mercy of whatever demon stalks these streets, then murdering anyone who disagrees with you! Is this just some sick and twisted game to you Akashi!?”

Akashi fought the urge not to smile. The boy had some smarts about him after all. Not enough however. “Close,” he admitted with a shrug. “You’re right that I don’t particularly care for you or any of your townsfolk. You’re right that I don’t care about justice or virtue. You’re right that I kept everyone locked away for a reason. You’re even right to say that I want the killings to continue. But to say I don’t want to solve this mystery – to find the person responsible for all this? You’re sorely mistaken my friend. That’s what I want most of all.”

“Why?” Norito snarled, although his eyes were widening in surprise. The boy was out of his depth – far, far out of his depth. Akashi looked at his erstwhile assistant pityingly. Whatever youthful anger now burned in his veins, it was entirely impotent.

Akashi finally allowed himself a smile. Seeing the fear clearly now in Norito’s stare, the captain knew he was in no peril from the rifle still directed at his chest. “Why?” he repeated the question. “You cannot be so blind Norito. I have to find the killer for the very same reason your cherished Yaridama family had to die.”

Anger flashed across Norito’s eyes once again as he instinctively glanced down towards the still bloodied corpse between them. “Tell me!” he screamed, his whole body now shaking. “Tell me why you killed them! Tell me what’s going on!”

Slowly Akashi knelt down besides Yaridama Chiryo. Her features were still frozen in shock and the colour had yet to drain from her face. A silent victim and third party to their conversation, she lay motionless in her blood wreathed kimono. Norito still had his rifle levelled at Akashi and the boy snarled angrily as Akashi’s hand began to slide down the clothed left leg of the elderly woman. He didn’t fire though and Akashi kept moving his hand slowly down the now useless limb. Finally his fingers brushed skin, then wood and Akashi slowly removed the sandal from her left foot. Then, in a slow, precise motion he twisted the appendage to face the open doorway.

And in the starlight, the black ink tattooed on Yaridama Chiryo’s ankle danced, revealing the painted Maruni Mitsu Aoi – emblem of the Tokugawa Shogunate.

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 11 - 17.10.14

A Meji supporter! Ahh is this where we finally get some FOTS action? The plot twists keep coming and I love each one! Great work my friend.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Maybe soon Suffice to say there are only four chapters left to go in Act I

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Pilgrimage

With his free hand, Akashi swiftly raised the revolver and placed a bullet squarely in Norito’s own leg. The boy screamed in pain, dropping the rifle and collapsing to the floor. Letting go of Yaridama Chiryo’s foot, Akashi rose and stepped over the two bodies, making for the doorway.

“Goodbye Norito,” Akashi spoke over his shoulder to the whimpering policeman. “Your part in this story is over now. I hereby declare martial law in Asahi town to be over and relinquish command here. Do as you will, Police Chief Norito Tsuya; these killing and I are no longer your concern.”

With that, he departed his home for those past few months, moving out once more into the mist-strewn night. Calmly and purposefully, he ventured south, towards Tarusaka Forest – towards Tsukaru Shinji – towards answers.

As he made his way out of Asahi for the last time, he wondered briefly why he hadn’t killed Norito. The fool of a boy deserved death for stretching out their investigation for so long and now his purpose was utterly spent. So why had he spared the boy’s life? Instinctively he brushed his free hand across his neck, fingers fumbling for the cross that hung there. God certainly wasn’t smiling on him at the moment; there were only so many sins a man could commit before he was denied forgiveness. But in time, his actions would be justified – he would be vindicated. He was sure of it.

A new crusade was amassing, ready to retake these lands from the soldiers of the old gods. Akashi would drag this Tsukaru Shinji from his hiding place and escort him to the frontlines on which he belonged. This was Akashi’s mission; his pilgrimage. Whatever powers this Shinji possessed, God had summoned him to play a part in this new war and Akashi was only too willing to aid such a cause. The time to fight was now. Never again would he lie about his faith. Never again would he pray underground. Never again would he look out over the blood stained fields of Shimabara. No, he had come too far now. The wheels that had been set in motion two hundred years before were now finally coming full circle. Whatever the consequence, Akashi would do anything in his power to see this dream finally realized; to live in a world of peace…a world of God.

So Akashi left Asahi town, stalking off into the night in search of his own Jerusalem.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 13 - 31.10.14

Embers

Norito lay motionless on the floor, staring into the dead eyes of Yaridama Chiryo. The pain in his leg was dull now – or was it just that it was no longer now important? He did not know. His thoughts spiralled out of control; his mind racing whilst his body moved not an inch. As he looked into the eyes of his adoptive mother, he tried to piece together what had happened. The Yaridama family…Tokugawa retainers? Was that why they needed to die? Was all this just about reigniting the flames of Sekigahara? Is that what Akashi truly believed? Had he just been using them all along? Had all of this just been a search for a weapon of war? Norito couldn’t believe it. The faces of the friends and relatives he had lost in the past months flashed before his eyes, all the while as Yaridama Chiryo… okasan… looked blankly back at him.

No… Norito wouldn’t allow it. With a grunt, he pulled himself up, stifling a scream as a sharp pain coursed through his wounded leg. He felt dizzy and light headed; needing to steady himself on the doorframe for a moment – partly to fight off the nausea and partly just to collect his thoughts. Whatever Akashi’s masterplan was, Norito didn’t care. He cared not for who ruled their country; the machinations of Shoguns and Emperors made little difference to him. He cared about his friends, his relatives, his hometown. He cared about revenge.

Limping painfully out of the police station, Norito began to shuffle away. What had Akashi been muttering before he had left? Something about Tarusaka Forest? It was a few miles south and Norito eyed his still bleeding leg anxiously. Then he steeled himself once more. No, he had to bring Akashi to justice. The town of Asahi had to be avenged. Whatever demon was amok amongst them mattered little to him now, Akashi Kyoumu was the true demon; the true monster that ravaged their town. Emotionless, traitorous, someone with so little empathy deserved not to grace their fair soils.

As he made his way south, out of the town limits, the rolling purple mists lifted and the air became clearer. Norito wasn’t troubled by it; his mind too caught up in thoughts of Akashi. Yet it was only the second time he had ever left the town – the only other being his brief period of training in Iga. It felt strange to be walking amongst the sprawling fields outside, bathed in the white glow of the moon. How much of such strangeness was owed to the slump in his leg he did not know.

Yet he was barely a mile out of the town before he felt an odd sensation in his stomach. It felt sore, a dull ache rather than a sharp stab – almost akin to indigestion. He had eaten no sour food, nor retained any alcohol from the day previous. This left him rather confused, as he tried to continue dragging himself forward, yet his efforts merely resulting in him sinking to his knees.

It was a curious sensation which made his eyes bulge and throat burn. A hotness flooded up his oesophagus and he felt sick, as if he were about to relinquish a rotten meal from his stomach. Curious, he looked down at his abdomen to see the blood red edge of a blade protruding from betwixt his ribs. Blood trickled up from his throat and down his chin as he tried to make sense of what had happened. Hadn’t he been searching for Akashi? Trying to bring him to justice for his crimes against Asahi town? Then why was he now on his knees in some unknown field, with a katana in his chest? That didn’t make sense.

“You should have listened to that captain of yours.”

A voice from behind him. It sounded like a woman. Velvet, but somehow still raw. Youthful definitely, trying to sound authoritative despite its obvious tender years. Did Norito recognise it? He couldn’t be quite sure. He knew most of the persons about Asahi, but it was a voice he couldn’t place. He was so confused. He needed to track down Akashi…

“This is the calling of the curtain for you Norito Tsuya. It is time to take your last bow.”

But…he needed to avenge the Yaridama family…to restore the honour of Asahi. He had so much left to do. There was no time to bow now, why was this woman saying such things? He tried to reply, but his own blood was now thick against his tongue. He tried to move his arms, but they hung limp at his sides. His aching legs had collapsed under him and even his neck felt flaccid. Was he…was he dying?

“Make peace with your gods young man,” the velvet voice purred one last time, “for you shall not be meeting them in Heaven.”

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

The Kindest Eyes
    Tarusaka Forest, Tsu-han, August 1864

The forest was dark. The moon still shone overhead, but its light was wearing thin now. Akashi didn’t have long. He had to find Tsukaru Shinji before it was too late. Would he even still be here? That was something Akashi did not know, but it was all he had to go on. Even if the killer wasn’t here, perhaps there would be some evidence…some clue as to his whereabouts.

Scrambling through the foliage, Akashi hunted desperately for some sign of life – some sign that Tsukaru Shinji had resided there. The trees cast menacing shadows about him, but the canopy was not as thick as to completely obscure the moon overhead. Yet as he searched through the dark greenery – for a footprint, or weapon, or campfire, or food – he saw nothing to set his wild mind at ease.

Until, out of nowhere, a figure stood before him. Akashi couldn’t make out the newcomer’s features in the darkness, but the man ahead was short – shorter than he – and thin – limbs no wider than the shattered twigs on the forest floor. Just a child? Had the Demon of Asahi just been a child all along?

“Tsukaru Shinji?” Akashi broached, inching slowly towards the stationary figure. Whilst Akashi fought through the dense thickets, the boy before him was illuminated by the moonlight in a small clearing. The small, thin figure simply stood. In the darkness Akashi couldn’t even see which way Shinji – at least he hoped it was Shinji – was facing. “Tsukaru Shinji, I know you. My name is Captain Akashi Kyoumu, I’m here to help.”

The shadow of the boy did not reply as Akashi continued his advance, cursing silently to himself as he cut and grazed himself about sharp branches and stubborn plants. What place was this to escape to and reside? “Tsukaru Shinji – Demon of Asahi – I know of your powers. I know of your ambitions. I know of your strengths. I’m here to beg for your assistance; to take you from this wretched place to somewhere where your true light can shine eternal – under the joint wings of the Emperor and our God. Cease these trivial games and take my hand!”

Akashi eventually disentangled himself from the dense trees and emerged into the small clearing – with only a few paces between him and the shadowy figure. Closer now, Akashi could see that the boy was faced away – the dark hair covering the back of his head only just visible by the starlight shine gracing it. The boy didn’t utter a sound, nor move a muscle. He was silent, motionless.

“Tsukaru Shinji?” Akashi spoke again hesitantly, sounding less sure of himself this time. It had to be him, didn’t it? It could be no other. This had to be their killer. “What say you? Will you join us?”

The boy finally turned in a swift movement. Akashi stole one glance at the boy’s face before a crumpled piece of paper was thrust into his free hand. Perplexed, Akashi instinctively looked down and glanced at what was in his hand. In an untidy scrawl, a short poem was inked across the scrap:

A forest far from home
    Bathed in autumn moon’s glow.
    The wily captain dies.

And as Akashi died, he recalled what little he had seen of Tsukaru Shinji’s face for that brief moment. The Demon of Asahi had the kindest eyes…

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 15 - 15.11.14

Mandarin Ducks
    Tarusaka Forest, Tsu-han, August 1864

She wept.

It couldn’t end like this – it just couldn’t. Fate had brought them together in Asahi, yet now she was all alone once more. For those two months, her love had been blissful and unassuming – untainted and pure. Yet now, as she looked down at the hollow features of her would-be betrothed, she knew now her love would forever be a burden to her; a curse she would carry with her until her own dying day. They were Mandarin ducks; unalike in every way, yet somehow still perfect for each other.

He had never known – she laughed bitterly through her tears -, never known of her love for him, nor the secret love for her he had buried somewhere in his heart. Now he would never know and that thought more than any other sent sorrow coursing through her shaking body. If only he could have realized – if only the last thought before he died could have been an image of her, she thought, cursing fate as she sobbed onto his chest.

“Kyo-chan…” she whimpered pathetically, letting her emotions rule her. The only other inhabitant of the forest clearing lay dead beneath her keeled form; the eyes of Akashi Kyoumu staring back at her, given life only by the dancing moonlight above.

As she traced a solemn finger down his smooth jaw and down his neck, her trembling fingers caught upon something. Tugging open the dead man’s tunic, she saw the twinkle of silver across his bare chest. Gripping the small chain, she ripped it from the corpse and examined it in her palm. A small crucifix lay attached to the necklace; testament to the strange god her would-be lover had believed in. Although she cared little for such practices, she slowly and carefully affixed it to her own neck. She had believed in him and would believe in his spirit until her dying day; if he believed in his god, then that was good enough reason for her. The last memento of a love cursed before it could ever begin.

That was enough. Wiping her eyes, she stood and turned away from the corpse. Sniffling, she tried to tell herself that Akashi no longer inhabited that body – whatever was left of him would now be carried with her in her heart. It was time to leave. After all, whoever had written that crumpled note needed to suffer; she would not stop until her love had been avenged. Her road to happiness denied, this would be her journey now. It was time to leave what could have been behind.

“Goodbye Kyo-chan,”Suzushi Yosome whispered.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Well, Act 1 is finished! Would be nice to see a friendly face or two around here, but I know we're all busy these days. The story will be continuing though, rest assured!

Wow, just wow. Sorry I haven't commented or been around much, its been a really hectic and tiring past weeks. Our two protagonists seem to be dead so I wonder where this story is going to go. Great writing, it was fast-paced and really had me on the edge of my seat. Great work.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Who said they were the protagonists?

And no worries, I'm in the same boat!

Just caught up with the last few chapters. Excellent as always. Surprised you killed off the two of them but let's see where it goes now.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~