Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [HS] The Age of Petty Kingdoms II - the Northern Wrath

DrakeRox's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [HS] The Age of Petty Kingdoms II - the Northern Wrath

This play can't be allowed, I suggest change starting positions of Greyiron ships, maybe place his ships a bit north??

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

If I'm correct, Greyiron's main fleet/army cannot reach a friendly port on their first turn, leaving them open to attack on turn 2 regardless (unless they flee south). Maybe just have a rule that says no going within , something like say, four spaces of enemy ships on turn 1?

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

I don't object to this move being disallowed. My concern is only that a change is made which takes away any chance I have at an early victory. Greyiron's combined army and navy are larger than mine. He has 3 castles to my 1. If I don't capture one of his castles quickly, I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose. Eventually he'll get a large enough army to siege Pyke and kill me. If we each have 2 castles, then we at least have more equal economy/recruitment.

Looking at this i think allowing Greyiron to move before Hoare would fix the problem...
    It dose however pretty much doom Hoare in the long run. Perhaps giving TenTowers to Hoare is called for?

I'd also add a rule next to the 1Turn peace that states you cannot surround enemy ships during said peace. It's kinda similar to not forting in enemy regions during the peace.

Citizen

My vote would be for Thrawn's solution - that I can't move my ships within a certain number of hexes from Greyiron's ships on turn 1. This at least gives me some options in terms of trying to keep his main fleet/army away from the Iron Islands. But with the two minor armies starting on ships, plus his starting land forces, he'd have plenty of troops to resist me starting on turn 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    I'd also add a rule next to the 1Turn peace that states you cannot surround enemy ships during said peace.
    ^ This is pretty much what Thrawn said. I mentioned it because in theory Greyiron could do the same blocking move to Hoares ships if he was allowed.

Dr Mac's Avatar Vicarius

Soul is right, it's a strange situation.

But in my opinion whoever is first in turn will win. Perhaps just having one Ironborn faction (I don't mind stepping out). But if I'm honest I don't think anybody has a chance against them in this HS, fair enough perhaps Reyne/Lannister may be able to fight them off, but none of the Northern factions can match the Ironborn fleet, only drive away any invasion force. Who knows, I may be surprised. Kudos to joerock for thinking outside the box though xD But if we are to play on it can't be allowed

Agreed. Hoare or Greyrion, they can easily dominate the North.

Narsils_Shards's Avatar Campidoctor

So I'm guessing that I shouldn't play yet?

Dr Mac's Avatar Vicarius

Naa NS, this HS is unbalanced anyways xD But we shall see. Imho you should have a HS with North, Vale and perhaps Mudd (if you wish I'd be Mudd but If not it's OK)

Citizen

After thinking about this, it's probably best to remove one iron born faction completely. Before I took my turn, Dr. Mac offered to have me bend the knee and raid together. If I can't get an early advantage over him, I'm probably going to accept that proposal, as raiding as a vassal would be much more fun than fighting a long stalemate war with Greyiron. And we know none of the mainland factions want to see that.

If we wanted to restart with an alternate faction added (Mudd, for example), then I can switch and Hoare can be eliminated. Or I can wait for the next AoPK hotseat to start.

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

Quote Originally Posted by joerock22 View Post
    After thinking about this, it's probably best to remove one iron born faction completely. Before I took my turn, Dr. Mac offered to have me bend the knee and raid together. If I can't get an early advantage over him, I'm probably going to accept that proposal, as raiding as a vassal would be much more fun than fighting a long stalemate war with Greyiron. And we know none of the mainland factions want to see that.

If we wanted to restart with an alternate faction added (Mudd, for example), then I can switch and Hoare can be eliminated. Or I can wait for the next AoPK hotseat to start.

You're more than welcome to take Bolton.
    Last edited by Matto16; August 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM.

Silenced Ape's Avatar Vicarius

Fight me Rivers!

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced Ape View Post
    Fight me Rivers!
    Go to bed

Matto16's Avatar Steward of Middle Earth

I don't think this HS is so unbalanced, especially since we have multiple factions in the North, the Vale and the Iron Islands who can either fight each other or link together against their common enemy. So even if Hoare or Greyjoy becomes very powerful and invades the north, he could find a heavy resistance there in many houses instead of just one.

If Hoare bends the knee to Greyiron from the beginning they are definitely too powerful, especially with fighting all around so I suggest that joerock pick some other faction, most likely Mudd and we eliminate Hoare.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverknight
    You're more than welcome to take Bolton.
    Not nice beeing surrounded by enemies isn't it?
    TATW HS Community Award

Oh no. I will most likely start this one and at least kill of one of my enemies.

There is a simple way to not die from the Iron Born (or in this case Sunderland)

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

I actually nerfed the Ironborn for this very reason by making it so they can only recruit Thralls on the mainland, nothing else. This should significantly nerf them and prevent them from establishing a long term presence anywhere apart from the coastline.

Narsils_Shards's Avatar Campidoctor

Bump

Matto16's Avatar Steward of Middle Earth

DrakeRox seems to be away for a few days now and since he is our admin we can do nothing but wait.

I believe everything was already said so we just have to give Mudd to joerock instead of Hoare and this hotseat can start.
    TATW HS Community Award

DrakeRox's Avatar Senator

I'm sorry, final exams are taking all my time lately. My computer is also not the best so it will take me some precious time to input all those commands, again, so I ask you guys to wait just one more day.

I'm finally reaching the end of these tiring exams, only 2 more and vacations will free me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast