Thread: Shadow Realms

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Shadow Realms

http://kotaku.com/biowares-newest-rp...lms-1620677999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HyfmUkDixE

This is the new RPG they were talking about all this time. It just looks like an emo Twilight mixed with Buffy and other generic monster slayer movies. I mean, I want this to be cool, but it made a horrible first impression on me. Just the idea of modern monster slayers makes me want to crawl back into my bed early and take a nap. Time sleeping seems like a better way of spending your day than to hear about whatever features this game would bring. They'd have to bring the best story of the last decade and the characters modeled after the tears of George R.R. Martin's fans in order to win me over.

ugh. discuss.
    No.

Darth Red's Avatar It's treason, then

Default Re: Shadow Realms

Quote Originally Posted by Game description
    Set in a "modern fantasy world," Shadow Realms is an action role-playing game.
    Okay after reading the link and watching the trailer, I'm done and not interested in this. I'm generally a "biodrone"/fan of their games but I don't enjoy games that mix modern times with fantasy elements. I don't want to see demons and whatnot getting slayed by giant ax-wielding hero's or mages shooting fireballs with stop signs, convenience stores and movie theaters in the background.
    Officially Bottled Awesome™ by Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Red View Post
    Okay after reading the link and watching the trailer, I'm done and not interested in this. I'm generally a "biodrone"/fan of their games but I don't enjoy games that mix modern times with fantasy elements. I don't want to see demons and whatnot getting slayed by giant ax-wielding hero's or mages shooting fireballs with stop signs, convenience stores and movie theaters in the background.
    Would you like fries with that before you go kill that demon changing the traffic lights?

Comes Domesticorum

Looks about as terrible as Hellgate London. The setting isn't interesting to me.

Shneckie's Avatar Vicarius

Just make another Jade Empire or KOTOR already.

Well. This game will have a lot to prove. Probably to much for Bioware to accomplish.

If it were only set during Victorian era that would be cool. I know there is a game coming out like that but it looks pretty crap too. So yeah. Looks completely uninteresting.

Urban Fantasy isn't the problem. Urban Fantasy is an awesome genre. There's about ten series for reading that attest to this. It can stay in the modern era, that's perfectly fine. It's the 4v1 that's the problem. Oh, and EA's stupid system doesn't help either.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Well the setting is the problem for me anyway. Just doesn't interest me. 4 player co-op I enjoy. ME3's co-op was awesome and I was hoping DA:Inquisition would do something similar.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun with 4 player co-op in my Diablo days. They're inserting this strange v1 into it and not being very clear about what the hell it is so I'm just being what? But after reading at least 40 urban fantasy books and loving them since Hellgate: London, you really can't scare me with this setting. You can try. But Urban Fantasy is where I live nowadays, with both good and bad. The bad being popcorn novels that I still enjoy nonetheless and still buy the next novel and still read. You can't just point at the setting and say bad anymore for this. Not since Jim Butcher, Kat Richardson, and Simon R. Green started tearing up the scene. You actually have to give me a reason.
    Last edited by Gaidin; August 14, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

It realy depends how they go about it. Im reading currently a comic that is actualy urban based, supernatural, magic kinda thing, and its by far the most interesting DC comics out there at the moment. Its called justice league dark, and features Constantine, Zathanna, Deadman, Shade, black Orchid etc.

It actualy has a great art, and is far from being superficial, or simple minded. Pans labyrinth is a briliant film on all accounts for instance.
    Last i read Del toro was in talks to make a justice league dark movie for WB, a concurrent universe for the upcoming Justice league movies, and since they are going to introduce mythology very soon, with Wonderwoman and Aquaman, it makes sense.
    All im saying the trailer and concept of this game doesnt look very apealing, but like everything else, ill rather wait and see, and only then i pass my judgement.

They can build an interesting universe, with this, and lets face it gaming wise, i cant say there is tons of games in this kind of universe at all. This is something new, for bioware specialy.
    While i was not impressed wich i already seen so far, im still curious how they go about it.

It's the 4v1 that's the problem. Oh, and EA's stupid system doesn't help either.
    I have a problem with that as well. It put me right off to be honest. For that im going to play an MMO.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 14, 2014 at 07:10 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I don't think there are enough modern RPGs to be honest so I like the setting. I can't get too excited about the 4 v 1 until I actually play it though. Doesn't make it sound like there will be much in the way of good story or dialogue.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Shneckie View Post
    Just make another Jade Empire or KOTOR already.
    Skip making this mediocre game for a sequel of their other mediocre games? Wow, Bioware must of fallen far.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Red View Post
    I have no problems with the setting, that Troika vampire game was excellent despite the bugs, however this game doesn't look interesting and Bioware's side games generally havn't fared well in terms of quality. Note that this is Bioware Austin. Which isn't actually Bioware.

This game, reading about it, makes me cringe and shows why I stopped being a Bioware fan on EA acquisition. 4v1? Coop action game? Sorry. I want Neverwinter Nights not Diablo 2.

For urban fantasy I think i'll stick to Shadowrun.
    Last edited by Kanaric; August 15, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    Skip making this mediocre game for a sequel of their other mediocre games? Wow, Bioware must of fallen far.
    If you say so.

KOTOR mediocre?
    Last edited by Darth Red; August 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: offensive order
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR