Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A tomb of significant size and dated to the age of Alexander the Great has been discovered in Greece.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: A tomb of significant size and dated to the age of Alexander the Great has been discovered in Greece.

If that's based on that chart showing the toe pattern and labelling it as "celtic" "greek" "roman" "egyptian" etc. you guys realize that's complete , right?

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: A tomb of significant size and dated to the age of Alexander the Great has been discovered in Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    If that's based on that chart showing the toe pattern and labelling it as "celtic" "greek" "roman" "egyptian" etc. you guys realize that's complete , right?
    Yeah, it's just more or less coffee table talk than serious discussion. That being said and keeping a bit with the theme, there are some archaeologists saying it might be a Roman era tomb rather than a Macedonian one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I heard they already opened the tomb and found a the body holding a protoslavic dictionary, a map of Makedonia signed Alexander Philipovic and a sign that says "Salon for FYROM! Greeks out now!"
    Do some basic readings before putting current political issues in this thred about this great findings.

In FYROM it will be Aleksandar Filipovski. Filipović is typical Serbian last name,you could grasped it by now and I have not seen any Serbian claiming Greek history. ić ending (lets not go into linquistic here) was heavily changed in FYROM during Tito's times, in order to make new nation. Same goes so for more Bulgarian -ov. So -ski was chosen as "Macedonian"..but story is bit longer

Sorry for off topic, any way, any clues by now who's tomb it might be?
    Tribal Total War

Stavros_Kalmpou's Avatar Senator

Nope, but the leader of the expedition says we will learn in a month. We need to watch the Classico it seems before we start working...
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

It depicts a bearded man and Hermes the driver of souls to the underworld
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

the bearded man is considered to be Phillip, Alexander's father.
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

So Philip is depicted as dead?
    I guess it might be Alexander's tomb... maybe.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    So Philip is depicted as dead?
    I guess it might be Alexander's tomb... maybe.
    Ι think it was destined for him, but after Ptolemy stole the body...
    For the Sake of Love

Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

The head of one of the sphinxes was found!!!

Luís de Camões

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

How to it get into the interior I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    The head of one of the sphinxes was found!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Brought into by tomb riders? Earthquakes?
    Luís de Camões

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

There are thoughts that the tomb is 1st century BC Roman, not Alexander's because of the marble columns depicting women (I can't remember what they're called, Carytids or something)

Wow they're making progress. Great pictures.

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

I am not entirely convinced, but he has some valid point though: https://www.academia.edu/8926789/Is_..._the_Sculpture

He argues that the tomb is Olympia's, erected by Alexander IV. and Roxane while they were living in Amphipolis. He argues that Cassander might have allowed the building despite the fact, that he was the killer of Olympia, to please the other Generals, which thought that with the age of 14, Alexander IV. would take command. After both of them were killed a few years later, it might have been Cassander who damaged the tomb, but still sealed it afterwards.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

http://news.yahoo.com/skeleton-found...163414706.html

Do we have anymore detailed updates than that?

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Likely now, I think, put into the tomb interior by the Romans when they sealed the tomb.

They found that the bones found in the grave belong to 5!!! corpses
    That's a real twist!
    Luís de Camões

One of them an infant as well.

Hum hum hum!

This whole thing really intrigues me. The scale of the tomb makes it hard to believe that it is just some nameless rich noble. Surely this should be someone of royalty?

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Given that Ptolemy stole the body of Alexander, I highly doubt that it's Alexander's tomb. Either way, it's someone of serious importance, given that it's so big.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast